Home
Should blow the 240 weatherby out of the water with about 50% more case capacity if built out of the 26 Nosler case necked down.

Should throw an 80 gr. Barnes TTSX at what??? 3800-4000fps? After reading up ont he 26 nosler, seems like suitable powders havent caught up fully yet... also you might need a 32" barrel to harness all that powder!

What are your thoughts? Good, Bad, Ugly...
I'm all for over bores so yes
Too much of a “good thing” for me. But would be fun to see what it could do.

Or a 25Nosler. Heck yes!!!

kd
Think back to the 244 H & H.....

and read a little on that cartridge...then rethink your proposal...

was kind of a flop due to diminishing returns...
You could get a 270 Winchester..
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
You could get a 270 Winchester..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

smile

A guy on longrange hunting had a 6wsm IMO that's the top , a 6mm06 ackley w/a 28'' barrel has crossed my mind .

Guesses on 24 nosler barrel life ? 500 ?
Originally Posted by Seafire
Think back to the 244 H & H.....

and read a little on that cartridge...then rethink your proposal...

was kind of a flop due to diminishing returns...

The 244 H$H got 3500 FPS with 100 grain bullets back in the day, with today’s slower powders it would be even faster. Probably close to 4000 fps.
How long would a barrel last?
How about a 22-378 Wby while we are hypothesizing?
grin
Originally Posted by 340boy
grin

With a 1 in 7 twist for the heavies? I bet that thing could make a TTSX or E Tip come apart though lol.

A 24 Nosler would be a real screamer, wouldn't expect much for barrel life but if you know that going in why not?
grin

Ah yes,the .22 earsplittenloudenboomer.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
grin

Good name.
I can imagine slo mo video at the shot and seeing the bulge of the bullet flowing down the barrel like a snake upchucking a mouse, and then the fire erupting out the muzzle.

.....someone please make this happen!
Originally Posted by SBTCO
grin

Good name.
I can imagine slo mo video at the shot and seeing the bulge of the bullet flowing down the barrel like a snake upchucking a mouse, and then the fire erupting out the muzzle.

.....someone please make this happen!

The throat of the barrel would probably go 50? Rds before it got torched??
grin
Originally Posted by jwp475

The 244 H$H got 3500 FPS with 100 grain bullets back in the day, with today’s slower powders it would be even faster. Probably close to 4000 fps.

Do you think it really got there? To 3500 fps? Or was that the hopeful speculation and advertising velocity? I honestly don't know, just asking.

Thanks, Guy
[Linked Image]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Eargesplitten_Loudenboomer

4600 fps? Wow-that's a movin!
Wonder if it could reach 5000 fps with a 50 gr bullet using todays powders?
Originally Posted by GuyM
Originally Posted by jwp475

Do you think it really got there? To 3500 fps? Or was that the hopeful speculation and advertising velocity? I honestly don't know, just asking.

Thanks, Guy

I wasn’t there, so I guess I don’t know. Ross Seyfried necked the 7 Rem mag to 6mm and got 4000 + fps, I forget which bullet weight so I do think it is/was possible.
Wonder if it could reach 5000 fps with a 50 gr bullet using todays powders?

I bet it could, now that you mention it. 😎
Probably a little more. But buy barrels by the dozen,cuz brudder,they will not last long.

Cool.
Nosler should neck it up to .24 caliber and call it "burnslotsofpowder"
Nosler should neck it up to .24 caliber and call it "burnslotsofpowder"

24-105 BLP!

4600 fps? Wow-that's a movin!

Playing with the 22.250 with 35 grain Nosler Lead free bullets, which are the
length of a 50 grain bullet.... I was able to achieve 4600 fps with it in a 24 inch
barrel...round was a little hot, but the primer pocket seemed to hold together
with no issues, with a couple of shots..

I went no further, as I didn't feel like replacing a barrel real quick...

and I was using a lot less powder than that 378 Weatherby case...

I have seen several times, guys who had necked down 264 Win Mags
to 6 mm...that was cook the rifling right out of a barrel real quick....

Read an article shown to me a long time ago, by Kevin Wyatt ( of Wynatt Box Fame)
where the Philippine military had experimented with necking down a 50 cal case
to try and reach high velocity for military use...

once they got down to 338 bore, they found that with smaller caliber, they could not
achieve any faster velocity.... so there is a world of diminishing returns...

you just can't get a bigger case, and keep adding more powder and go with a smaller
bore....

like how about a 416 Weatherby necked down to 17 caliber or even 14 caliber...

but I bet there are folks that would still plunk their money on the counter for one
if it was available and someone made the ammo for it...

might as well just hunt with a lazer... no need to reload ammo...
Probably a little more. But buy barrels by the dozen,cuz brudder,they will not last long.

I remember Kevin Wyatt also talking about a customer, who wanted a 22/284 built, for 80 gr Match Bullets..

When the customer picked it up.... he told the customer, that he hoped he knew the barrel
would only hold accuracy for 500 rounds or less...

in response the customer, took out his wallet and told Kevin to make two more for replacement..

after he had shot it at the range or in the field, he called up Kevin to make him 3 more....

so he had 5 barrels on order, before he even fried the first one...

That's dedication to speed, and also having a fat bank account...
I remember Ross Seyfried called it the Mach IV. He was using the 75 gr X bullet and said it was a death ray. IIRC his father used it to kill a deer. He said he had to clean his 6mm-264 frequently. He did do that with the first barrel and ended up pulling it. He cut into the barrel to look at the throat and found a very hard ceramic like substance that he couldn't remove with any cleaning method. It ruined the accuracy. I would imagine he used a premium hand lapped barrel.

I built a 6mm-264 with a Rem takeoff to see how it would perform. All I wanted was 3500 fps with a 105 gr bullet from a sporter barrel. As I worked up the load the fouling was so severe that I could never figure out what it liked. I am talking under a dozen rounds! Clean up was very time consuming with a great deal of powder residue. I gave up on the concept.

I would imagine a 24 Nosler would be an absolute nightmare even with the best handlapped barrel.
Don't think I'd go 24 Nosler but a 6-06 would be nice.....
Originally Posted by Azshooter
I . He cut into the barrel to look at the throat and found a very hard ceramic like substance that he couldn't remove with any cleaning method. It ruined the accuracy.

I briefly wanted one of these but just not too practical. Seyfried used one of the old 870 series of powder and the old military lots had a calcium based retardent in the formula. This created an almost ceramic like marble coating in the bore. Just the amount of JB bore paste needed to get it out would speed up erosion of the barrel.

With modern powders you can get within 75-80% of these velocities with something as small as the 6mm AI and certainly the 240 Weatherby and 6x284. Both the 6mm Gibbs and the 244 H&H had reputations of wild pressure swings and other issues not to mention barrel life. PO Ackley wrote about a wonder 25 caliber cartridge on a blown out full length H&H case slaying all sorts of game but the barrel was gone in one hunting trip. That was when H4350 was the slowest powder available.

Fun to think about and a little more practical when a re-barrel job was $50 bucks.
yeah, but a new Model 70 was about $55......in those times...
Math is not my strong point but in rifle loony terms I think this load is running about 6600 fps.... when does varmint season open on the little fat kid over in North Korea?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...sts-railgun-fires-bullets-4-500-mph.html
© 24hourcampfire