Home
Posted By: Judman Who will chamber the 6.5 PRC??? - 12/10/17
Well? Who's gonna be the first?
I would think Ruger.....
I would think Ruger would consider it for the RPR
Ruger...They seem to be in Bed with Hornady recently

maybe kimber? Montana rifle company... both of them have been chambering not so popular cartridges taht Remington and Winchester wont

I won't be the first, but........
Seekins Havak
Originally Posted by peeshooter
Seekins Havak

Local Cabels has one in stock........
Mag bolt ordered for my Stiller Tac30; Brux blank, brass, dies and bullets in place. Gunsmith has the reamer in house. It's happening!
BTW, Seekins WAS the first to chamber for the new Havoc.
Originally Posted by shoots4fun
Mag bolt ordered for my Stiller Tac30; Brux blank, brass, dies and bullets in place. Gunsmith has the reamer in house. It's happening!

Dammit......I'm still a month out on my reamer, with the rest in hand.

Of course we'll be have cold & snow ass high to a tall indian by then........
No idea who will be first but I am hoping for a Kimber?
I have no insight who will be first, but I do know what I am looking for in such a hunting rifle. I would want an 8" twist (or 7.87" or 200 mm) in a barrel at least 22" long -- and a bit more would be fine. Bolt action or single shot as far as the action goes, and I prefer blue steel and walnut, but I can tolerate stainless and synthetic if necessary. No particular maker of choice, but I do expect Ruger to have an entry in this sweepstakes.

Merry Christmas!...

jim
I know this is the least-likely candidate but the Winchester Model 70 Featherweight configured the way it already is with the WSMs would be a perfect host for a hunting 6.5 PRC. I’d be all over it.
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
I know this is the least-likely candidate but the Winchester Model 70 Featherweight configured the way it already is with the WSMs would be a perfect host for a hunting 6.5 PRC. I’d be all over it.

I had the same thoughts, Seattle. Who knows, maybe Winchester will do one? I noticed they have a 280 Remington available in the model 70 featherweight this year, and that's not exactly a common caliber-so perhaps there's hope?
I believe the 6.5 PRC would take sales from the .270 WSM Featherweight rather than supplement them. I doubt they’d tool up for a new chambering for little to no increase in incremental sales. Better margins selling what you already have.

Tooling up for a 6.5 Creedmoor Featherweight (and other models) makes good sense, though. They are leaving new sales (and maybe new customers) on the table by letting their competitors have all the Creed fans.
Really?

its like someone thinking we need 25 versions of the 30/06 on the market...
I'm betting there will be a bunch announced at or before SHOT. The Creedmoor is the hottest thing going right now in the rifle game. Nobody that currently makes a WSM will skip out on 6.5 PRC. The gun market is down and everybody is looking for the next winner.

Mark my words....there will be plenty to choose from.
SHOT SHOW should be interesting this year for sure....still makes my feet hurt thinking about it though...and why Gun Reps get drunk everynite ...or so I'm told...I usually don't remember anything after the 2nd nite though, except when I got off the plane one time in the wrong layover....and walked outside looking for my wife in KC instead of Dallas...
Ron
Originally Posted by verhoositz
SHOT SHOW should be interesting this year for sure....and why Gun Reps get drunk everynite ...or so I'm told.

Been there and done that a few times. I thought they called it SHOT because that's how I felt by the time it was over.
NEF
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I'm betting there will be a bunch announced at or before SHOT. The Creedmoor is the hottest thing going right now in the rifle game. Nobody that currently makes a WSM will skip out on 6.5 PRC. The gun market is down and everybody is looking for the next winner.

I need a Model 70 stainless with fluted barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor! Pass that on to Winchester, thanks! grin
I will buy one if Henry puts one in a lever gun.
Originally Posted by prm
I need a Model 70 stainless with fluted barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor! Pass that on to Winchester, thanks! grin

Amen!

And with the Featherweight stock and 22” barrel!

PRC is looking to need a 3" mag box, (2.960" COAL) the WSM winchester actions are 2.8" mag box

Too short, Winchester is not even in the game, they would have to put it in their long action.

Ruger in the RPR, might work, but Kimbers 8400 Short action (medium) really is the ideal length, some other custom actions, and a Barrett would work too....

Montana Rifle Co uses a 3 inch mag box for their short actions.
Originally Posted by Mjduct

PRC is looking to need a 3" mag box, (2.960" COAL) the WSM winchester actions are 2.8" mag box

Too short, Winchester is not even in the game, they would have to put it in their long action.

Ruger in the RPR, might work, but Kimbers 8400 Short action (medium) really is the ideal length, some other custom actions, and a Barrett would work too....

The model 70 WSM extreme weather has a 3" mag box.

Well, not quite. ALL short action Winchester 70s have a 3" space for the magazine box. They simply block them shorter as needed.
shoot.... guess I shouldn't have passed on a cherry Model 70 270 WSM as a donor action...

still thinking I'll rebarrel the 300WSM montana, don't have any more spots in the safe...
I am thinking that Mossberg will chamber it in their Patriot rifle line. My because has two parts: they already chamber the .375 Ruger so they know the basic case design; and they have Linda Powell on their marketing staff...jim
The PRC certainly has the potential to siphon off some of the Creedmoor's sales. And others on either side of it in the caliber spectrum. If it's advertised as just as accurate as the Creedmoor, with more power/flatter shooting/longer distance but still easy to manage, why would a hunter (or even target shooter) choose the Creedmoor?
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
The PRC certainly has the potential to siphon off some of the Creedmoor's sales. And others on either side of it in the caliber spectrum. If it's advertised as just as accurate as the Creedmoor, with more power/flatter shooting/longer distance but still easy to manage, why would a hunter (or even target shooter) choose the Creedmoor?

Recoil.

If a deer can be taken at any reasonable distance with the Creedmoor (and I think we all agree that this is true), there is simply no need for a deer hunter to just move up to the 6.5 PRC, which should be about equal to the .280 AI or maybe even the .30-06 in recoil levels.

I’m sure it will take some sales from the Creedmoor, as it makes more sense for a Western hunter who might add elk to the mix and some people like to have more velocity. However, I actually see it cutting more into .270 Win, .280 Rem, 6.5x284 Norma, .260 Rem and .270 WSM sales.

I am actually hoping that Hornady spins off a 7 PRC, as I feel that would make a perfect accompaniment to a hunter who has a 6.5 Creedmoor. It would provide what is essentially 7mm SAUM performance (a round I consider the perfect 7mm) without the issues associated with owning a rifle chambered for what is essentially a dead cartridge. Launching 160s at close to 3K with .280 recoil in a short action in a super-accurate, easy to load cartridge with widely available, high quality factory ammo support sounds great to me.
The PRC isn't going to siphon sales from much of anything. It will make its own way (barely) as a competition chambering. Outside of that, it's not going to make much noise.

BUT, the competition circuit is where noise is made these days.

The Creedmoor ship has already sailed the high seas--the rest of these are just trying to get some sales out of the coattails.
Originally Posted by Judman
Well? Who's gonna be the first?

I'd like it to succeed so I hope Remington isn't the first!
Montana Rifle Company will be chambering it- talked to them the other day. Not sure on the exact specs, but I know the X2 will be available.
Originally Posted by ndhunterman
Montana Rifle Company will be chambering it- talked to them the other day. Not sure on the exact specs, but I know the X2 will be available.

Well, that right there certainly piques my interest.
They will probably screw up the twist. They usually do.
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

Not a chance. Hornady is positioning this as “the big brother of the 6.5 Creedmoor,” which means that they will be getting everything right, including twist. There will be no 260 Rem.2 here.

Not a chance. Hornady is positioning this as “the big brother of the 6.5 Creedmoor,” which means that they will be getting everything right, including twist. There will be no 260 Rem.2 here.

Yep.

This ain’t Remington.

They’ll listen and will get it right.

DF
Originally Posted by Higbean
NEF

That would be bad to the bone.
Tikka in T3-x CTR with a 24 inch barrel.
They couldn't make them fast enough. I would prolly want one :-). For right now, I'm going to shoot the heck out of my T3-x in 7mm-08.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Yep.

This ain’t Remington.

DF

They'll twist it right. I scanned their cartridge list and didn't see anything fubar. Actually the 1:9 twist 22-250 looks interesting...
Helll yeah, hopefullly Montana will make it in the Snow rifle!!!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by ndhunterman
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Yep.

This ain’t Remington.

DF

They'll twist it right. I scanned their cartridge list and didn't see anything fubar. Actually the 1:9 twist 22-250 looks interesting...

Think so?

I think a 9 ROT in 260 and 264WM is not too great, and you better check out picture 4 in the link below before you believe their list too.

6.5x284 twist - see picture 4

I think the 9-1/2 twist on the 28 Nosler, and the 8-1/2 twist on the 26 Nosler are Fubar too. If you buy one of those, you probably want to shoot heavies. At least Nosler thinks so.

In fact all the 7mm's would be better at 9 ROT.

[Linked Image]

Yeah right...
Only thing I could see using that for is in case they "Introduce" wolves into New York's Central Park and the city sells a few tags!
😜
None of those are Hornady rounds. The manufacturers of rifles tend to follow the original configuration of a cartridge’s initial offerings. That’s why we don’t see a resurgence of a cartridge’s popularity very often.

It’s also why the Creedmoor has done so well: everything was thought of before release, including working out the twist rate with manufacturers before they built the rifles. The 6.5 PRC will be the same.
None of those are Hornady rounds. The manufacturers of rifles tend to follow the original configuration of a cartridge’s initial offerings. That’s why we don’t see a resurgence of a cartridge’s popularity very often.

So I guess you're saying they tend to follow the original configuration, unless it is a Nosler or Norma round? crazy

And please explain Tikka's 1:11 30-06 and 300WM in light of this insight? laugh

I suspect MRC will get it right. It would be really hard to F this one up. But their history is none too comforting.

I’m saying Tikka CTR...
I would love to see Ruger use it to re-launch stainless synthetic Hawkeyes.

[Linked Image]

That would look fantastic with a flush magazine.
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

I’m saying Tikka CTR...

That would be nice.
Any word from the shot show? Seems the Havoc is the only one chambered in such? Why the lag?
SHOT Show isn't until the 23rd.

I'm hoping for a 6.5 Creedmoor Model 70 and .338 200gn Trophy Bonded Tips
Gotcha
So now that SHOT 2018 is open, what 6.5 PRC rifles are shown?...

jim
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

[Linked Image]

That would look fantastic with a flush magazine.

I’m looking for a local hydro dipper to do that to a Montana stock smile blind magazine for the win!!!
Originally Posted by HunterJim
So now that SHOT 2018 is open, what 6.5 PRC rifles are shown?...

jim

This
Ron Spomer has a post on a Mauser M18 in 6.5 PRC on his blog.

FYI Jerry Pournelle put up the first Internet weblog or blog. He passed away last year, RIP JEP...jim
I’d buy an NEF.

Wouldn’t this make about the perfect whitetail “magnum”?
I was looking for a selection in the SHOT announcements, but apparently it was not to be. So far I am interested in the Montana Rifle Company entries in this sweepstakes, but they halve not figured out the details yet. All in all if SHOT is predictive then I might as well commission a custom rifle and get on with it... wink

jim
Well sounds like it then jim. They don’t want it to interfere with the creedmoor sales??? ..... wierd
it would seem ruger would chamber their american predator or something like the newone in the new camo,,,, i would take 3 today for me wife and my kid as an all around everyday using rifle, buy a truckload of factory ammo 1 size for all three guns , and start shooting for a year and see how well it performs,,,,
© 24hourcampfire