Home
Posted By: chamois Varget vs Vihtavuori N140 - 01/27/18
I have a good opportunity buy a few kgs (unopened) at a very good price and would like to hear from those who have used it.

I had the idea that 140 was noticeably faster than Varget but I have checked a couple of reloading manuals and they seem to be comparable in performance. I would be using it with 120gr bullets in my 7x57R, 100 grainers in 6,5x57R and 110s in .270WCF.

Currently I am using Varget in this bullet/carteidge combinations, but being so difficult to obtain where I live, overseas, I was considering 140 as a good substitute.

Thanks in advance for your comments.
The latest version of N140 is supposed to be very temperature-resistant. The U.S. distributor just sent me some, but I haven't had a chance to test it, mostly because temperatures haven't been very warm since it arrived!

But so far I haven't tested any powder claimed to be temp-resistant that isn't, probably because so many handloaders have chronographs these days. If the powder didn't live up to the claim, it would soon become apparent.
Posted By: chamois Re: Varget vs Vihtavuori N140 - 01/27/18
Looking forward to your impressions, John, thank you!
Posted By: mathman Re: Varget vs Vihtavuori N140 - 01/27/18
Until quite recently it had been a while since I had a ready supply of N-140, but when I was using it I found it to be excellent in applications suited to 4895/Varget/RL15 mid speed powders. Now I have a new 8 pound jug but I haven't broken it open yet.

If you have applications where Varget is suitable then I say buy the N-140 at that attractive price. I know I would.
Posted By: chamois Re: Varget vs Vihtavuori N140 - 01/27/18
Already got them, mathman!

In which cartriidges and bullets weights did you use them?
Posted By: mathman Re: Varget vs Vihtavuori N140 - 01/27/18
223 Rem with 69 gr.
250 Savage with 87, 90, 100 gr.
300 Savage with 150 gr.
308 Win. with 150, 165, 168 gr.
I switched from Varget to N-140 several years ago in my 30-06 loads I use in my M1's. I find it to be much cleaner after an eighty shot cross course match. The gas cylinder has no where near as much smoke residue inside or out. The Load I use is 48.1 grains of N-140 and a Sierra # 2155 155 grain Palma bullet.
Posted By: chamois Re: Varget vs Vihtavuori N140 - 01/28/18
Thank you, Mathman!
The cartridges I will be using it in have higher expansion ratios than those, but I guess that keeping them down to light-for-the-caliber bullets I will not be sacrificing too much speed.
On the other hand, I am more concerned about precision that I am about speed.

Thank you, Dustylongshot!
I have not found Varget to be a "dirty" powder... Maybe I am loading it at higher pressures and that helps, but if N140 burn even cleaner then more of the better!

It will take two-three weeks to start developing loads with it, but I will be back and post the results. In the meantime, if anyone would like to share any particularly accurate load with N140 I would appreciate if they would like to share it.

chamois
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Varget vs Vihtavuori N140 - 01/28/18
I shot Varget in 5.56 for a long time then I got hold of a jug of N140. Honest to goodness, I don't think I could tell the difference between the 2 just by shooting. Both are great powders withing a couple FPS of each other. Loads are within a tenth grain or 2. I think the N140 dumped out of my Lee Perfect a little better. Buy whichever one you can get your paws on. About 24gr in a LC 5.56 case with a 69, 77 or 80gr bullet shoots lights out.
Posted By: chamois Re: Varget vs Vihtavuori N140 - 01/28/18
thanks, Tyrone.
I also found VV-140 to be clean burning and an excellent substitute for RL-15, usually grain for grain.
Extreme spreads and accuracy usually matched or beat the RL-15 loads. The only downside for me is that the VV powders are usually more expensive.
I think you will be very happy with VV-140.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Varget vs Vihtavuori N140 - 01/29/18
Another nice thing about N140 (although I doubt nice enough to make up the price difference) is that it is a cooling burning powder than Varget, so you'll probably get a little better barrel life.
Posted By: chamois Re: Varget vs Vihtavuori N140 - 01/29/18
It seems like a very good option in the fast-to-medium burning rangr powders, then.

It does not seem to be very popular, though.
Posted By: mathman Re: Varget vs Vihtavuori N140 - 01/29/18
Where I shop it is considerably more expensive than a lot of other suitable powders.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Varget vs Vihtavuori N140 - 01/30/18
I had to buy mine during the Zero administration. The 8lb jug was $210. Couldn't get Varget.
Originally Posted by chamois
It seems like a very good option in the fast-to-medium burning rangr powders, then.

It does not seem to be very popular, though.

Only because of the higher cost.
Posted By: chamois Re: Varget vs Vihtavuori N140 - 01/31/18
mathman, Tyrone, nifty-two-fifty:

It makes sense that being so exoensive it is not a popular powder.

Here in Europe al powders are outrageously expensive!
My first experience with N140 was in a 22-250 AI. Seems all the normal powders I used, while giving good accuracy, my barrel would get really hot ( summertime workup). I read somewhere that the VVN powders gave high velocity with lower pressure, or something to that effect, so gave it a whirl. It was true! ha My barrel stayed much cooler for more shots and accuracy was stelller, from the 55NBT to the 68 Hornady OTM I was playing with at the time. Its a good one for sure.
© 24hourcampfire