Home
Posted By: butchlambert1 New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/22/18
New 5 shot group record shot by Bart Sauter with a 6mmbr improved.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: HitnRun Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/22/18
Just imagine how good that group would be if he used a 6.5 Creedmoor.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/22/18
That'll work on pigs.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/22/18
Yeah, but can he do it "all day long"?
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/22/18
Butchlambert1: Darn... that IS impressive!
I have done some shooting at extended ranges and my results (with Big Game and Varmint Hunting type Rifles) would be described as pathetic compared to Mr. Bart Sauers example!
Good for him and thanks for sharing.
As an aside butchlambert1, let me pose this question (problem?) to you.
Lets pretend Mr. Sauers record setting bullets went through a VERY thin piece of paper (target) at 100 yards on their way to that 0.282" grouping at 600 yards - would their dispersion (groups size?) be 1/6th the size of that 0.282" 600 yard group back at the 100 yard mark?
Or something else?
1/6th of 0.282" equals 0.047"!
Anyway you look at that group, its a screamer and an amazing effort/outcome!
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by NVhntr

No, he is not a 24hr Campfire shooter.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/22/18
Impressive!

To put that in perspective, the average shot will never shoot a group that small in their life, at 50 yds.
Posted By: Wrapids Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/22/18
Impressive group, but that's not hunting. Get closer bubba.
Originally Posted by Wrapids

Bubba, I need to reread my post. I think I missed the hunting part that I posted. What is your point, this ain't the hunting forum?
Posted By: PByrne Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/22/18
I once had a 6 ppc that wouldn’t shoot competitive groups at 100, at least with my tuning abilities. But it shot very well at 200. In fact took it to a 200/300 yard match and won the match with it.

This for VG
Posted By: Wrapids Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/22/18
I'm just tired of sniping versus hunting, and those who want to whack something from as far as possible. It was about the hunt not the shot at one time.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/22/18
Excellent chooting!
Posted By: kingston Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/22/18
It looks a little high and to the right.
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/22/18
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

Bubba, I need to reread my post. I think I missed the hunting part that I posted. What is your point, this ain't the hunting forum?

It's just another one of those petty jealousy posts you see in the campfire. Someone that can't afford something that feels compelled to bash someone who can, someone who can't shoot with extreme precision bashing those that can, those that can't afford expensive exotic hunts bashing those that can, etc.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/23/18
I'm just tired of sniping versus hunting, and those who want to whack something from as far as possible. It was about the hunt not the shot at one time.

No one gives a rats azz what you’re tired of. If you don’t like something, you are not obligated to participate in it. You don’t have the right to tell others what they can or can’t do.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/23/18
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

It's just another one of those petty jealousy posts you see in the campfire. Someone that can't afford something that feels compelled to bash someone who can, someone who can't shoot with extreme precision bashing those that can, those that can't afford expensive exotic hunts bashing those that can, etc.

True.
Posted By: prm Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/23/18

The OP’s post has nothing to do with hunting. How does Benchrest target shooting even begin to equate to hunting?

I can only imagine the level of detail in loading that leads to that nice a result!
Posted By: peeshooter Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/23/18
Originally Posted by NVhntr

No, he is not a 24hr Campfire shooter.

HAHAHA!
Posted By: SKane Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/23/18
That's truly amazing - ummmm, and humbling. grin
Thanks for posting, Butch!
Posted By: smokepole Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/23/18
That's ridiculous!
Posted By: Seafire Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/23/18
I saw where Schtick had a small one shot group at 600 yds than that......

He's posted it multiple times....

he's sorta like the Campfire's own Kim Jun Il....
Sweet Jesus....I had to stare at the target paper to find the small holes.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/23/18
I hope someone bought him a beer after that! When I slop a group that size at 100-200 yards I walk around with a smile all day.
Posted By: colodog Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/23/18
I wasn't feeling too bad about my 3rd place finish in the local Varmint for Score club match at 100yds today ....... then I saw this!

HOOOLY COW, that some shooting!

Thanks for posting, Butch!
Posted By: OldJeepGuy Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/23/18

[Linked Image]

Ha !!! BS Check that group fer powder burns.

Just kiddin'.
Posted By: jeeper Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/23/18

[Linked Image]

Wow that is impressive , don't care what nobody says.
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I hope someone bought him a beer after that! When I slop a group that size at 100-200 yards I walk around with a smile all day.

Me, too. I carry 4 100yd targets around with me to show off to anyone who'll put up with it. There have been four people so far, in five years. frown
Posted By: ctsmith Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/23/18
Amazing.
Posted By: deflave Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/23/18
That is beyond incredible.

Butch,

Do you think a group like that could ever be topped at that distance in a sanctioned match? What was the previous record? Do you know which bullet the shooter was using?

JFC.

It's competition. He ain't shooting at a fugkin' deer.
Originally Posted by deflave
That is beyond incredible.

Butch,

Do you think a group like that could ever be topped at that distance in a sanctioned match? What was the previous record? Do you know which bullet the shooter was using?

I think the previous record at 600yds was .349" Accurate Shooter link here
Sheesh. Thought it was double that. Must have been thinking of a different category.
A guy might start to think he's a Big Dog if he could get one group under 1/2" at 600. These guys are crowding 1/4", Yikes!
Posted By: ironbender Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/23/18

You are totally correct. the shooter should have tried to sneak up on that paper.
crazy
Posted By: ironbender Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/23/18

Thanks for posting, Butch. That ain't bad chootin!
Posted By: MILES58 Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/23/18

I own two rifles that given the opportunity to shoot ten groups each at 100 yards I could probably get one group from each that might be twice that size. Go back to shooting at paper plates at 100 and be glad you can hit it most of the time. The man that did this put a lot of work into every step along the way to getting it. People like him are who makes it easier for us to get decent groups.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/23/18
Originally Posted by kingston
It looks a little high and to the right.

That would be pretty damn funny if he lost the score match by X count to a guy who shot a 3" group! laugh

Can you imagine the schitt talk? smile

That is seriously unreal shooting! There are lots of reasons Bart is a giant in BR!
Posted By: CGPAUL Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/23/18
HA!...it took 5? I`ve done it with only one...

Excellent shooting!

I forecast a run on 6mmbrAI barrels.
Bart has been one of the top competition bullet makers for many years. I met Bart at the BR Nationals in about 1994 or 95. He traveled and shot with his Buddy, Billy Stevens. At the time they were both US Army helicopter pilots.
Bart is shooting his own 105 Hammerhead bullets. http://www.bartsbullets.com/gungnir-105-grain-vld.html It appears that he has renamed them.
Posted By: aalf Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/23/18
Originally Posted by PByrne
I once had a 6 ppc that wouldn’t shoot competitive groups at 100, at least with my tuning abilities. But it shot very well at 200. In fact took it to a 200/300 yard match and won the match with it.

Same here, I had one Shilen barrel that was ho hum at best at 100, but came alive at 200.

Won the 200 LV at the Cactus with it.

Another of life's mysteries.......
Posted By: ol_mike Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/23/18
Very impessive shooting and equipment .
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/23/18
Now that's a tiny group! Have heard great things about the Hammerhead bullets.

A local friend, Jim Richards, holds the Pennsylvania 1000-yard Benchrest Club record 10-shot group at 1000 yards, 2.659 inches--using what's known as a "light gun," and Jim's group is a little smaller than the heavy-gun record.
Posted By: Huntz Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/23/18
Holy balls,thats unreal!!!
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

A local friend, Jim Richards, holds the Pennsylvania 1000-yard Benchrest Club record 10-shot group at 1000 yards, 2.659 inches--using what's known as a "light gun," and Jim's group is a little smaller than the heavy-gun record.

That's just a up the road from me. My son-in-law's father has started competing up there. Doing pretty well, but he's been fully retired for years and has the time and income to put into it. As close as I am, I've never been up for a match.
From Bart:

The bullet was the Hammer. A 13 ogive VLD with SIERRA JACKETS. Its a new die and I’ve only had the die for a couple of months.

BTW thanks for the kind words!

Sorry for the slow reply. Saturday we shot a double match (16 Targets) and finished pretty late. As soon as we finished I parked the truck at the hotel and WALKED to OCharlies to celebrate with some good friends! So out late and up early this morning! Coffee with Moses and Drove for 6hours in a thunderstorm to get home.

Boyd Allen is going to do a write up, but here are the details down and dirty.

I was shooting a Bat action, stock is a Derreld Jones, gun built by Mike Moses, (action popped out and stock send to Alex Wheeler to install his keel) action reglued by Billy Stevens. Lederer Barrel 8 twist HV,chambered by Dean Stroud with his version of BR Improved, Ezell Tuner, jewell trigger, March 40X power scope, Farley rest, H4895 powder, Wolf primers!

Thanks to everyone and all the kind words and congratulations!!!!

Bart
Posted By: aalf Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/23/18
Originally Posted by shootinurse
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

That's just a up the road from me. My son-in-law's father has started competing up there. Doing pretty well, but he's been fully retired for years and has the time and income to put into it. As close as I am, I've never been up for a match.

Trivia.....that record was shot at the Deep Creek range outside of Missoula Mt. when they belonged to the Original 1K BR Club.

Deep Creek now belongs to International Benchrest Shooters Association.
Wolf primers.

Ok, that tells me all I need to know about them.
Posted By: super T Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/24/18
That's nothing, Elmer Keith did that with a handgun a 50 years ago. OK, OK maybe I need to re-read his stuff.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 04/24/18
Originally Posted by ironbender

You are totally correct. the shooter should have tried to sneak up on that paper.
crazy

AND he better approach from downwind too....😀
Posted By: GOFASTER Re: New 600yd 5 shot record - 05/03/18
Bad Ass ...And most Can Not shoot a group like that at 50 yards
© 24hourcampfire