Home
Posted By: 1Akshooter Western Powders book - 05/25/18
My new Western Powders Handloading Guide showed up today. At first glance I am impressed and look forward to a few hours of bed time reading with the book. It will be one of those books I have for quite awhile and will return to it to reference information. By the time I am done I know I will have learned some good stuff. Ordered it from the Rifles and Recipes folks and it is still on sale.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Western Powders book - 05/25/18
Just ordered a copy myself.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Western Powders book - 05/25/18
1Akshooter,

Good to hear. I was also very impressed when reading it, because there's so much good information aside from the loads themselves, and "other info" is what really makes a manual.

Might also mention that the 10%-off sale at riflesandrecipes.com continues through Father's Day, June 17. Even without the sale, the price for the Western manual is lower than most on the Internet.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Western Powders book - 05/25/18
Should have added this:

Apply the coupon code "Sale" when checking out on the website, or call 406-521-0273.
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: Western Powders book - 05/25/18
Stayed up way to late reading the Western Powders Handloading Guide. Now I am tired and not getting crap done on the little women's "Honey do or Die" list. When I showed her all the cool diagrams and other info she said, "that's nice honey". I don't think she will ever be a "Rifle Looney".

But, she loves to hunt and fish with me and she is a great cook, of which I am proof of. When I told her about the recipe books Mrs. Clark has for sale that got her attention and she will be ordering one.
Posted By: jd9770 Re: Western Powders book - 05/26/18
I got mine from rifles&recipes (thanks Mr. Barsness). It is a good manual and the extra stuff is great.
Posted By: MZ5 Re: Western Powders book - 05/26/18
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
...and "other info" is what really makes a manual.

Indeed!
Posted By: tdd4570 Re: Western Powders book - 05/26/18
Can anyone post a pic of the index so we know what cartridges it covers?

Thanks
Dave
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Western Powders book - 05/26/18
It covers the same cartridges that are in their website data.

As I noted, it's not the load data that makes a loading manual, but the other info.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Western Powders book - 05/26/18
Yeah, but not everyone takes a reloading manual to the can with them in the morning.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Western Powders book - 05/26/18
Which is one of the reasons we printed paper copies of the first five years of our on-line magazine, RIFLE LOONY NEWS: Several subscribers said their wives were getting tired of the disorderly stack of print-outs in the bathroom. (Of course, some other guys wanted paper copies to take to deer camp, where they didn't have Internet service. But bathroom reading was, uh, Number One. One of the buyers even sent us a photo of his bathroom, with the new printed-and-bound version sitting on top of the stack of reading material next to the toilet. So of course we ran it in the next issue of RLN.)
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Western Powders book - 05/26/18
Haha! Good enough for me!

Last few manuals I have purchased have had interesting material in them.

I spent a couple nights reading about the story of Berger bullets. The Lyman cast handbook has been a good one too.

I will be picking up a Western book too, I reckon.

One subject I have been hoping to find more info on would be setting up reloading dies. Usually its just a "do this" "do that" and make ammo.
Posted By: NDHuntr Re: Western Powders book - 05/26/18
List of cartridges covered is on the Rifles and Recipes web site. Open link to manual and click on Table of Contents.
I was impressed by the quality of the paper. It's thicker and glossy. It will last for years and years. The information section that precedes the load data is excellent as well.

I made the mistake of trying to publish some of my books as ebooks, but could not include everything that was in the paper copies. Tech has progressed, but no more ebooks. Reference material like this is better in paper format. It's transportable, and requires no computer or power source.
Posted By: sidepass Re: Western Powders book - 05/28/18
Ordered a copy myself along with hunting the plains. Hernia surgery on the 5th and in need of reading material for 4 weeks after. Reading shotguns for wingshooting again, retire in about a year and hope to spend a lot of time chasing upland birds.
Posted By: Nomosendero2 Re: Western Powders book - 05/28/18
Just ordered one, thanks for the heads up!
FYI Promo code "Sale" is expired
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Western Powders book - 05/28/18
I just checked the "Sale" coupon code and it worked.

If it isn't working for somebody, they should phone 406-521-0273.
Posted By: old_willys Re: Western Powders book - 05/28/18
Originally Posted by Nomosendero2
Just ordered one, thanks for the heads up!
FYI Promo code "Sale" is expired

"sale" just worked for me, mine is ordered smile
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Western Powders book - 05/28/18
Jim,

There's an entire chapter about setting up dies in THE BIG BOOK OF GUN GACK, most of which you won't see in other loading manuals.
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Western Powders book - 05/31/18
Okay, I have to brag. My birthday present from my girlfriend was a copy of the Western Powders Reloading Guide, personally signed by all the employees there. Her sister works at Western. I am pretty proud of that book!
Posted By: fremont Re: Western Powders book - 06/01/18
Originally Posted by 300_savage
Okay, I have to brag. My birthday present from my girlfriend was a copy of the Western Powders Reloading Guide, personally signed by all the employees there. Her sister works at Western. I am pretty proud of that book!

That's a nice present. Very cool.

I just got my copy from RiflesandRecipes--the sucker is the HEAVIEST paperback I've ever bought!
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Western Powders book - 06/01/18
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jim,

There's an entire chapter about setting up dies in THE BIG BOOK OF GUN GACK, most of which you won't see in other loading manuals.

Okay.

Sounds like I should look into this book.

Do you know who the author is? laugh
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Western Powders book - 06/01/18
Ha!

I sent you a PM.
Posted By: Nomosendero2 Re: Western Powders book - 06/02/18
Just got mine in, very nice !
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Western Powders book - 06/03/18
Great book well worth the read and reread and re...etc.
© 24hourcampfire