Home
Posted By: 6MMWASP V-MAX vs, Z-MAX - 07/13/18
Question is the Z-MAX the exact same bullet as the V-MAX.

I have a 204 that shoots the 32 V_MAX very well and need to buy a couple thousand. I was told by a rep at Hornady that they were the same bullet built to the same spec but looking for real world experience,

Thanks
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: V-MAZ vs, Z-MAX - 07/13/18
Yes, same bullets, different color polymer tips.
Posted By: elkcountry Re: V-MAZ vs, Z-MAX - 07/13/18
I have shot several thousand of the 50gr. .224" Z-MAX bullets at prairie dogs with 26.0 gr. of H-335 and can tell no difference in accuracy or explosiveness.

I just wait until Midway, Graf's or Natchez puts the Z-max 500 bulk packs on sale and order 2 or 3 boxes.

Elk Country
Posted By: 222ND Re: V-MAZ vs, Z-MAX - 07/14/18
A few years back, I loaded 50 grain vmax in a 40x 222 rem mag and it shot lights out. Bullets were kinda tuf to find at the time, but I found a few 500 round zmax boxes for a decent price. The accuracy on the zmax did not compare to the red tipped vmax. The vmax were quite a bit older though. A few gopher shooters told me accuracy slipped during the Obama years due to production demand. Just my expierence.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: V-MAZ vs, Z-MAX - 07/14/18
If they're the same bullet, why do they make them with two different colored tips?
Posted By: liliysdad Re: V-MAZ vs, Z-MAX - 07/14/18
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
If they're the same bullet, why do they make them with two different colored tips?

Because one is a Z-Max, and the other a V-Max.

They are the same bullet.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: V-MAZ vs, Z-MAX - 07/15/18
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

Zmax = zombie craze.
Vmax = non zombie
Green kills zombies better than than red. Sorry but you gotta like zombie movies to know that.
Marketing gimmick same bullet.
Posted By: BWalker Re: V-MAZ vs, Z-MAX - 07/15/18
I purchased 1000 ZMax 32gr 204 bullets from Midway on closeout. I burnt them up shooting prarie dogs and switched to 32gr vmax bullets. If there is a difference myself or my rifle cant tell.
Posted By: montanabadger Re: V-MAZ vs, Z-MAX - 07/15/18
They are the same bullet, the tip is just a different color, and the Zmax is cheaper.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: V-MAZ vs, Z-MAX - 07/16/18
Thanks for the information. I'll buy some when I can find a decent deal on them.
Posted By: 2ndtimer Re: V-MAZ vs, Z-MAX - 07/17/18
I believe they are the same now. I wonder if they always were? When the Z-Max was first introduced, Hornady claimed the jacket was the new AMP technology, the same as used in their A-Max line. The V-Max's made no such claim, and I wonder if maybe they were originally different in terms of the jackets? Eventually, Hornady probably decided that the AMP jackets were equally "good enough" for the V-Max, too and started making them the same other than the different color tips. Notice they didn't reduce the price of the V-Max, and the Z-Max is still priced less than the V-Max. I guess that cost savings may be in the bulk packaging of the Z-Max, but it makes me wonder.
Posted By: deflave Re: V-MAZ vs, Z-MAX - 07/17/18
They are and always have been the same.

There were some initial weights that mirrored A-Max bullets but I believe those were dropped due to lack of sales.

I've shot gobs of them.
Posted By: Calif. Hunter Re: V-MAZ vs, Z-MAX - 07/21/18
Hundreds of dead prairie dogs, shot with boxes of mixed Z-max and V-Max would say they are the same. I loaded up with bulk packs of my preferred bullet weights when they went on sale after the zombie craze slowed down. My guns don't care what color the tip is.
© 24hourcampfire