Home
Posted By: aboltfan Using Coated Bullets - 08/10/18
The only coated bullets I've ever used was the Winchester Gold Partitions that came out years ago. They were moly coated. In my experience I had to shoot about a dozen rounds before they would start grouping. After using up them up I never bought anymore.

I'm considering buying Ballistic Silvertips for loading 30-06. I don't want them if they effect the barrel like the moly coated bullets did. If you've used them what has been your experience.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Using Coated Bullets - 08/10/18
The Winchester coating is Black Oxide.I have some rifles that shoot them really well and others that hate them.If I have a choice,I'd just as soon have the uncoated bullets.Some calibers don't offer you that choice like the 200gr .338.Nosler no longer offers the 200gr Ballistic Tip,but you can get the 200gr Winchester.
https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Rifle/Ballistic-Silvertip
Posted By: Tejano Re: Using Coated Bullets - 08/10/18
Each barrel is different. Some of my rifles show no difference and I can switch back and forth. Others react like they do with Moly where I have to shoot 1-6 "fouling" shots and I can't switch back and forth. If I have a choice I go naked. For the rifles that need the break in I have soaked the bullets in acetone and then wiped off the Lubaloy with steel wool. This for rifle I knew I would be switching back and forth. If the coated are all you use there are some minor advantages. Slightly higher but not significant velocity but they can also reduce it or require slightly more powder to get the same velocity. With a good bore they run cleaner. A really rough or fouled barrel could strip some of the coating but I have not had this problem.

I ran into some Fail Safes that had moly but that is an exception most had the Lubaloy oxide coating.
Posted By: baldhunter Re: Using Coated Bullets - 08/16/18
They can be accurate.Ran some test loads on my new 338-06 with the 200gr Nosler silver ballistic tips.
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire