Home
Is there any real difference between the construction of the two bullets?

I know Gail Root's favorite was the 95gr BT, but didn't he also design the 90 with the same jacket profile.

Looking for a picture of both 90 and 90 grain Nosler BT's "sectioned", so I can see for myself.

Anyone know if the jacket profile, thickness, and lead "hardness" is the same in these two bullets?

Seems silly that they still offer both grain weights to me, unless there really is a difference between the two sans 5 grains.

Thanks for the help.

Mostly just a curiosity, so any info and discussion is welcomed.
My guess is twist rate would be the reason for the different weights. I know a couple guys here have used both...hopefully they will be along shortly
What the heck? Doesn't anyone use the 90 BT? I've wondered the same about why two weights so close. It's hard to figure out Nosler's logic or lack thereof.
Originally Posted by AnsonRogers
What the heck? Doesn't anyone use the 90 BT? I've wondered the same about why two weights so close. It's hard to figure out Nosler's logic or lack thereof.

I knew I couldn't have been the only one wondering about this.

Seems, we may have to find out ourselves.

In that case, I'll just give the "proven" and highly touted 95gr a go.
Why don't you ask Nosler? They're very willing to share information with handloaders.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Why don't you ask Nosler? They're very willing to share information with handloaders.

Good point. I'll send them an email this morning to see what they say.

I'll report back.

And, if we all just asked the manufactures for details, what would we rely on the "gunwriters" for?

I just got off the phone with Nosler.

The tech told me there is no notable difference between the two bullets construction.

He told me the 95 gr has more bearing surface and sometimes the 90 grain shoots more accurately.

He said his Browning .243 shows a strong preference for the 90 grain regarding accuracy.

So, I guess they are the same.

It's interesting to me how much more the 95 grain has been talked about.

Either way, they both sound like great bullets.

Was his name Mike? Sounds like the guy I talked with several years ago. Was a government hunter and used a Browning 243. He liked the Accubond over the BT. Browning would be 1-10 twist no? Said he would get some flyers with the 95 BT but not the 90 Accubond.
Was his name Mike? Sounds like the guy I talked with several years ago. Was a government hunter and used a Browning 243. He liked the Accubond over the BT. Browning would be 1-10 twist no? Said he would get some flyers with the 95 BT but not the 90 Accubond.

I don't think he answered with his name. I believe he just said "hello, this is Nosler" or something to that effect.

Most likely the same guy, due to the Browning rifle comment.

And, yes, I believe the brownings are 1-10" twist............same as my Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe that I'll be trying these bullets in.
I was wondering about the same thing. I decided to go with the 90 grain Accubond.
I called them the other day, but I also sent them an email before I decided to call.

I got a response this morning via email from Nosler.

This is a quote from NOSLER

"Austin,

The only difference is bullet length and BC otherwise same construction. Hand loaders looking for that sweet spot, sometimes it only takes a few grain difference in a bullet to find it. Thank you"

I have read that some people claim the 90 grainer doesn't hold up as well as far as weight retention.

I've concluded that is most likely due to the extra 100 to 150 FPS velocity rate vs the 95gr.

Seems the 95 grain may be the magic combo of bullet construction/velocity.

I'm going to buy a box of both and shoot whichever is most accurate with IMR 4350 in my Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe .243

I'm also going to "section" one of each to see for myself.
Have not used the 90 but the 85 the front portion is similar to the 95 with the 85 having a shorter shank portion. The 90 & 95 I think are hold overs from the .244 Remington and when the 100s were Semi spitzers.
Originally Posted by Tejano
Have not used the 90 but the 85 the front portion is similar to the 95 with the 85 having a shorter shank portion. The 90 & 95 I think are hold overs from the .244 Remington and when the 100s were Semi spitzers.

If I had to guess (and I do!) I'd say you are likely very near the truth, and that Nosler continues to make them both because they continue to sell. What a concept!

How many other bullets have suddenly been discontinued to the dismay of their contented users, who then scrounge, beg, and otherwise disgrace themselves to get enough "to last"? Those of us who have achieved a certain vintage need less of most commodities, except maybe patience.
Interesting that Nosler sells a 90 grain Ballistic tip, accubond and e-tip, but only makes a 95 grain Ballistic tip.

Yes, my buddy Gail Root designed both the 90- and 95-grain Ballistic.

They are both superb bullets for American pronghorn, mule deer and whitetail. Gail also killed BIG bull elk and bull nilgai with both bullets to complete satisfaction.

Blessings,

kd

Originally Posted by Fireboss
I was wondering about the same thing. I decided to go with the 90 grain Accubond.

I am impressed by your logic. grin

I am also a fan of the AB, and I use it as my go-to bullet in several hunting calibers now.
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Interesting that Nosler sells a 90 grain Ballistic tip, accubond and e-tip, but only makes a 95 grain Ballistic tip.

They have a 95 grain partition which is outstanding.
Originally Posted by screaminweasil

I don't think he answered with his name. I believe he just said "hello, this is Nosler" or something to that effect.

Most likely the same guy, due to the Browning rifle comment.

And, yes, I believe the brownings are 1-10" twist............same as my Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe that I'll be trying these bullets in.

Mike answers most of the e-mails sent to Nosler.

Good guy.
I have used both the 90 and 95 grain Nosler BT's in my Model 700 243's, with the 1-9.25 twist. Killed a few deer with them, nothing out of the ordinary about either. I found the Hornady 95 grain SST to be more accurate in my rifles. Not by much, but it was noticeable.
I used the 90 gr ballistic tips for years on whitetail. From 100 yards to 400 yards I always got complete penetration and they would blow a heck of an exit hole. Took a shot on a 6 pointer at about 30 to 35 yards using a model 7 243. Bullet penetrated about 6" and blew up. Granted the deer only ran a few yards and fell over dead but if it had not been a perfect broadside shot, I would have never got the penetration I needed. I dropped them after that and went to the 100 gr partition. No problems with expansion or penetration no matter the distance since then.

I do have a bunch of the 95 gr on hand and a load worked up for one of my 243's. Hopefully I will get a chance to use it this year and see how they do.
I could not get any boattail bullet to shoot good in my 1/10 twist barrel.I bought some 95 grain SSTs with the flat base and groups went sub 1/2" when I seated the bullets to the lands.Years ago I used 85 grain Barnes BT X bullets in the 243 I had at the time.They were super accurate and I killed a pronghorn at 400+ yards with them and was impressed.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
.... Those of us who have achieved a certain vintage need less of most commodities, except maybe patience.

wisdom.....
© 24hourcampfire