Home
Posted By: Sakoluvr JB, Hells Canyon X Bolt - 12/11/18
JB, I was wondering if you had a chance to handle a Hells Canyon X bolt (any configuration)? It looks like Browning is stepping up in the long range game and looks to be competitive with the Hells Canyon line. Are you planning on doing a review any time soon? Thanks.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: JB, Hells Canyon X Bolt - 12/11/18
Haviland reviewed one in Rifle 291, March 2017. His was a 7mm Remington. He liked it, but thought it was a bit long, as I recall.

That issue also has articles on the Cooper Backcountry, the Nosler Patriot in .33, and the Weatherby Vanguard line.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: JB, Hells Canyon X Bolt - 12/11/18
Thanks pappy
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: JB, Hells Canyon X Bolt - 12/12/18
I dug that copy out and read it. Kinda half hearted review.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: JB, Hells Canyon X Bolt - 12/12/18
Half-hearted or half-assed? I think he may have bought that one after he was done. What he wrote wouldn't make me run out and buy one, or not buy one for that matter. They look too metro-sexual to me, like a lot of newer Browning stuff, but I'm a product of the 50s and 60s, so that's to be expected.
Posted By: moosemike Re: JB, Hells Canyon X Bolt - 12/12/18
I have an X-Bolt Hunter on the way in 375 H&H
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: JB, Hells Canyon X Bolt - 12/13/18
$75.00 rebate until end of dec on new browning rifles
Posted By: moosemike Re: JB, Hells Canyon X Bolt - 12/13/18
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
$75.00 rebate until end of dec on new browning rifles

Yup. I'll be sending that puppy off.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: JB, Hells Canyon X Bolt - 12/14/18
Me too!
Posted By: moosemike Re: JB, Hells Canyon X Bolt - 12/15/18
The 375 H&H has arrived.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: bludog Re: JB, Hells Canyon X Bolt - 12/15/18
I like X-bolts, they fit me better than Tikkas for some reason, and yes I own both. Both are accurate out of the box, decent quality rifles. To me a lot better fit and finish than the RAR, No more Model 70s, still have two Rem 700s that have been heavily "improved" - barrels, triggers, stocks, firing pin bushings, etc. Prolly gonna be Brownings or Tikkas or maybe a Fieldcraft if there is anything for either of us on down the road.
Posted By: Chrome Re: JB, Hells Canyon X Bolt - 12/15/18
I had one in 6mm Creedmoor. Very accurate and well made. It was a little long for my taste so it went down the road.

Killed a 8 pointer with it. Carries well and I like the scope base screws, they have four holes per base.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: moosemike Re: JB, Hells Canyon X Bolt - 12/15/18
Browning QC is outstanding. I'd sooner buy a new Browning than anyone elses wares.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: JB, Hells Canyon X Bolt - 12/28/18
My rebate went through smooth. Should get a check in a few weeks according to the Browning email.

Waiting on my rings and will put my Nightforce on it. Got a few boxes of ELD X's in 143 gr. to try first. I may or may not handload for it.
I'd like them if they didn't have those god-awful, useless effing noisemakers sticking on the end of them.

Complete deal-breaker for me on something like a 6.5 Creedmoor.
Posted By: 28lx Re: JB, Hells Canyon X Bolt - 12/29/18
Originally Posted by moosemike
Browning QC is outstanding. I'd sooner buy a new Browning than anyone elses wares.

I currently own 4 of them and they are great rifles IMO. Only thing I've done to each of them is replace the trigger spring with one from MCARBO. Whoever at Browning decided to put a 9 twist barrel on the 22-250 and then ruin it by putting it in a super short action receiver wasn't thinking clearly though.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: JB, Hells Canyon X Bolt - 12/29/18
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
I'd like them if they didn't have those god-awful, useless effing noisemakers sticking on the end of them.

Just unscrew it, no? They come with a thread cover.

You still have to pay for something that is both useless and annoying .... and expensive. Why not make it with a standard barrel and lower the price by $150.00?
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: JB, Hells Canyon X Bolt - 12/29/18
I know some long range shooters like them, even with non kickers.

I don't have one but lots of folks want to screw on a can so why not get a threaded barrel out of the gate.
Posted By: Charlie-NY Re: JB, Hells Canyon X Bolt - 12/30/18

You still have to pay for something that is both useless and annoying .... and expensive. Why not make it with a standard barrel and lower the price by $150.00?

The brake is fake and probably worth about $2 on Browning's end. Use the thread protector.
Posted By: Hammer2506 Re: JB, Hells Canyon X Bolt - 12/30/18
Meh, never liked muzzle brakes!
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: JB, Hells Canyon X Bolt - 02/06/19
Took my Hells Canyon long range 6.5 CM with the McM stock to the range for the first time

Sighted it in at 100 yards and was hitting a 10" steel plate at 550 in short order. It grouped around .75 MOA at 100. I used factory Hornady Precision Hunter 143 ELD X's and the Match 147 ELD M loads. I like this rifle (or any rifle) when it shoots out of the box. I mounted a Nightforce NXS on the rail with Burris XTR Signature Rings.

I think I will eventually replace the trigger with a Timney and hand load for it.
© 24hourcampfire