Home
Posted By: Jim_Knight .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/04/19
For big hogs, close range shots at deer/elk (Timber areas) on bad angles...is there any real difference between the 130TTSX and the 140 TSX? I would push these as fast as I could too. Anyone have experience with either in .270? I used to read great results were had with the old Winchester 140 Failsafe. I shot them in my old BAR .270, had to finish off a friends big Spanish Goat at 15 ft, maybe 20ft. It was a penetrator! No longer made though, but I always wondered if a 130 Failsafe wouldn't have worked just as well?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/04/19
Have seen all three bullets (130 TTSX, 140 TSX and 140 Fail Safe) used on big game, and couldn't tell from the results which one was used. The only one I remember being recovered from any animal was a 140 Fail Safe from a BIG bull nilgai. Otherwise they've blown right through animals from feral pigs to gemsbok to bull elk.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/04/19
Thanks sir, I've read some of your writings on the .270/140 Failsafe, very informative. I really enjoyed it. I'm going to let this rifle "tell me" which weight it likes. I am also going to try the 110 TTSX for deer/antelope or Texas exotics and such, but I am too leery of using it on elk, especially in the Timber.
Posted By: CRS Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/04/19
I have seen Barnes 130 and 140's used on elk. Could not tell the difference with none recovered.

I have used the 110 TSX on quite a few deer, antelope, hogs, black buck and Axis deer. They worked, but have since settled on just using 130gr monometals of any flavor in my 270's. I let the rifle tell me which particular brand it likes.
Both will knock the livin’ chit out of elk, or anything else you’d care to hunt.
Posted By: czech1022 Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/04/19
There's someone who is/was a campfire member who took his .270 with 130gr TTSX ammo to Africa several times with excellent results.

Sorry I don't have more details, but he recommended it quite enthusiastically.
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/04/19
130 will do it all
Posted By: lotech Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/04/19
I've used the 130 TSX for elk and it's worked fine. This bullet and the 140 TSX shoot very accurately in my Cooper rifle. I have not tired the TTSX in either weight, but, as others have mentioned, there is probably no difference in performance in any of these bullets. I'd go with whatever was most accurate in a particular rifle.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/04/19
Thanks guys. The smallest mono I've used on elk size game was 6mm ( Scimitar Horned Oryx, 85xbt at 243 speeds, 6x47) and it was a wicked little killer on it and some Axis deer. The 240W/90X was a fine one too. I used the 6.5/284, but with Nosler 120/125s, and it was also a fine killer, which made me think the similar .270. I actually had a new Mod 700 CDL, 24" bbl, all tweaked out to 'wring out" the .270 when I got blind sided by Obammacare ( I hate Obammacare, BTW) taxes on my benefits and had to sell it off and my old Belgium BAR .270/others ,everything. I "thought" I had 2 good replacement rifles ( Mod 77 338WM & Mod 70 FWT 7x57) but neither shot worth spit. I have bought a Mod 700 classic in .270 ( I was actually wanting any 700 classic) at a good price. So, I am going to just focus on it for awhile. I don't get to hunt like I used to, but I sure love playing with handloads. I think "I'll be OK", ha
Posted By: memtb Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/04/19
Jim, it’s my understanding that the TTSX expands a little more readily. Probably not a real problem on hogs. However, obviously, the 140 is a bit heavier....which is never a bad thing, on large, heavily built game!

I have always been a fan of a little heavier bullet. I load the 140’s for my daughter’s 270, which is used for deer, antelope, and elk. In our application ( not your concern), the 140 has a higher BC, which can help with the longer shots possible in our hunting environment! memtb
Posted By: czech1022 Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/04/19
The 7mm-08 with a 120gr TTSX also has an enthusiastic following for use on elk, so I can't imagine 10 grains extra plus another hundred fps out of a .270 would be anything but more of a good thing!
Posted By: jmp300wsm Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/04/19
My buddy shot a 360 bull elk with a 100 Gr. TSX out of a 257 wby mag and it went about 40 yards.
Posted By: southtexas Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/04/19
Originally Posted by CRS
I have seen Barnes 130 and 140's used on elk. Could not tell the difference with none recovered.

I have used the 110 TSX on quite a few deer, antelope, hogs, black buck and Axis deer. They worked, but have since settled on just using 130gr monometals of any flavor in my 270's. I let the rifle tell me which particular brand it likes.

CRS. Any problems with the 110TTSX on deer, hogs, etc? My 270 likes it at about 3200. Interested in your experience with its terminal performance. Thx.
Posted By: Tejano Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/04/19
I would try the 130 TTSX first for the reasons mentioned previously and the higher BC per weight. The tip I think makes the smaller Barnes more reliable as it has to be a big enough cavity to hold the tip and this helps at longer ranges although I have never had a full on failure with any of the Barnes bullets including the original copper tube style.

I run 130s in my 270 Win. and 140's in my 270 WSM just to be different. Both run about the same speed.

I liked the old Fail Safes especially in 270 caliber but if anything they erred on the tough side. Fine for Elk and similar sized game but they could drill right through a whitetail with almost no reaction. Sometimes there was a blood bath usually with clock work parts on the ground and other times the entire body cavity had to fill up to the level of the entrance or exit before there was much of a blood trail. The animal would drop and then the leakage would be extreme.

Can't go wrong with any of them as always let the rifle decide.
Posted By: CRS Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/05/19
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by CRS

CRS. Any problems with the 110TTSX on deer, hogs, etc? My 270 likes it at about 3200. Interested in your experience with its terminal performance. Thx.

Never had any issues with them. Just got to the point where they did not seem to offer anything over the 130's at my normal hunting ranges. Recovered two of them, perfectly expanded and 100% weight retention after full length wise penetration on mature whitetails. No terminal performance issues at all.
Posted By: Dre Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/05/19
I use 130 ttsx in 270 for elk.
I did switch to 140 SST for deer in the 270.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/05/19
Did you feel that the 130TTSX didn't kill as fast as the SST?
Posted By: Dre Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/06/19
2 reason.
When I shot my deer with the 130TTSX, I thought I missed as he ran off. It could also be that deer will run 100 yards with its heart blown up.
I just felt the ttsx might be little too stout for thin skinned game.
2nd reason. My TC venture shoots the ttsx and sst very close and I get more trigger time with the cheaper SST .
Posted By: memtb Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/06/19
Dre, the TTSX’s (250 grain), have been very effective on Pronghorns as well as elk. In fact, hitting one antelope high in the shoulder blade....the exit was quite impressive! memtb
Posted By: szihn Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/06/19
Barnes 130 or 140?

Simple answer:

Yes.
I've shot one deer with the 140 FS. Offered a Texas heart shot, then turned to look back. Hit just behind left shoulder, exited right side neck. Head was still low. Dropped right there, raspberry jelly for lungs. I liked it, but can't hunt CA with it any more.

One bear with the 130TTSX, hunched over a log down hill looking at me. Drilled her in the left breast, exited between the last two ribs on the right after drilling a hole I her spine. Again, rolled over with feet in the air and never moved.
Posted By: horse1 Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/07/19
My 270 really likes 140gn Nosler BT's, so, when I decided to try a TSX (2006-ish), 140 seemed the logical 1st step. Accuracy and velocity was/is superb with Ramshot Hunter in Rem cases which allows me to run prepped brass through a Dillon 550 very quickly. So, I didn't even try 130's. Since then I've killed better than a dozen deer, 2 caribou, and a cow elk with the 140's. I've also used the same loads for a couple friends and family members accounting for several more deer, 1 more caribou, and at least 3 more elk that I can think of.

I'm sure there's nothing I've done with the 140's that I couldn't have also done with 130's, I've just had such good consistent results with the 140's that there's no good reason to change at this point.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/08/19
Thanks guys....Hey Horse ( said in a whisper, ha) how fast do feel you are shooting that 130 with Hunter? Care to share your load ( I like to have info for 'guidelines", I don't just load something up)
Posted By: southtexas Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/08/19
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by southtexas
Originally Posted by CRS

Never had any issues with them. Just got to the point where they did not seem to offer anything over the 130's at my normal hunting ranges. Recovered two of them, perfectly expanded and 100% weight retention after full length wise penetration on mature whitetails. No terminal performance issues at all.

Thanks for the info. Think I’ll give them a try.
Posted By: horse1 Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/08/19
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Thanks guys....Hey Horse ( said in a whisper, ha) how fast do feel you are shooting that 130 with Hunter? Care to share your load ( I like to have info for 'guidelines", I don't just load something up)

3050fps through 5 different 22" factory barrels from Winchester and Remington. 57gn Ramshot Hunter w/Win Large Rifle primers in FF and minimally bushing sized Rem brass. ES <20fps and SD 8-9FPS. I can get exact numbers late in the week. Chrono results are via LabRadar.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/09/19
That's exact enough, ha. I said 130 but meant 140, as per your post. It seems no one has really had any failures to expand from either weight. Our mule deer are not super large, though bigger than most whitetail in the South. We used to be able to shoot Private Land hogs before Utah decided to outlaw the practice. There were only two places ( well, that I knew of) and we killed some big hogs off both places. Now I have to go to Texas or Missouri to shoot them. I hunt far more antelope/Mule Deer than I do elk. I will probably start out seeing if the rifle likes the 130TTSX first. Thanks again!
Posted By: southtexas Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/09/19
Jim: why would the state outlaw shooting hogs??
Posted By: Azar Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/09/19
"Antelope Island State Park officials reported earlier this month that a feral pig was spotted near the causeway between Syracuse and the largest island on the Great Salt Lake.

The pig is believed to have returned to where it came from, which happens to be privately held Fremont Island just to the north of Antelope Island and west of Hooper. This was not the first time the exotic Eurasian pigs had been spotted near the causeway — but it might be the last.

The most recent sighting prompted federal and state wildlife and agricultural officials to visit Fremont Island on Tuesday and kill 10 of the feral pigs."

"They could expose any domestic populations to disease. We have a huge swine production facility outside of Milford that would be severely impacted if disease got there," Hess said. "These Eurasian-type boars are extremely adept at survival in the wild and they are extremely destructive to the land. This is the reason the Legislature put a ban on hunting them. We just can't afford to have them running wild."

The 2012 Utah Legislature passed a bill that made it illegal to release swine on public or private property for hunting purposes. Hess said it is also illegal to import and to hunt Russian boars or other Eurasian pigs."

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=57038093&itype=CMSID
Posted By: javman Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/10/19
I was out hunting with a good friend of mine at his ranch here in S Tx and he was looking to take out an old buck that he didn’t want chasing and breeding any does. So as we were riding around we spoted the buck on one of the senderos so slid out the vehicle and grabbed his Ruger #1 in 270 Bee loaded with factory Barnes tipped 130s.

He used a back pack for support and set himself up prone position. We estimated the buck was around 400 yds. Now what really helped in this scenario is he had his suppressor on his rifle and I told him line up your cross hair in line with his back and let it rip. I was watching this all this through my binos and I here the rifle go off and see that the 130 Barnes hit him center of the lungs and hear the thump loud and clear. Good shot a tell him. As the slug hit the the buck I could see the impact into the ground on the other side and as the buck swings around to head back into the brush I could see the blood squirt on the off side but the buck didn’t flinch or anything upon impact. So we drive up and see the blood and recovered him about 50 yards in. We later measured the shot and it was exactly 403 yds. So the 130s at Bee speeds is pretty impressive. By the way that was his first kill with the Ruger as he had just bought during the summer.
Posted By: Jim_Knight Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/10/19
SouthTX, yep Azar spelled it out. They were afraid they'd get out and make a mess...which they may have! Lord knows they can & do anywhere they can, ha. It was just nice to arrange a "hunt" and got out and kill a hog. It was not a "hunt" though they acted pretty shy of men and they would bum-rush you if you got close. I liked them as they make "terrific" bullet testers! ha
I would think a 270 Weatherby would be pretty wicked. I've used 7mm Mags/120 Barnes and 257 Weatherby/100 TSX and they were greased lightning. I don't hardly ever shoot at unwounded game over 300yds. I have never shot one past 375yds, and only a handful of them in my hunting lifetime. My "average" kills on elk out here is 190 yards! Mule deer are even closer. My average pronghorn...212yds! So, my "on target velocity" of a 270 Win at those ranges are going to be close to the Bee's out around 400 or so, heck, maybe closer, ha.
Posted By: 16bore Re: .270 Barnes 130 or 140? - 01/11/19
Prolly 129 LRX
© 24hourcampfire