Home
Posted By: Quak 700 Titanium - 02/10/19
Just curious as to why Remington discontinued these? They seemed very popular and command a ton of dough on the used market.

Any chance we might see a new version some day?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: 700 Titanium - 02/10/19
One rifle I shouldn't have sold.
Posted By: Quak Re: 700 Titanium - 02/10/19
Id really like one in 270 but they are tough to find and when you do your going to pay out the nose
The one I had was a 270. It was a shooting SOB with 140gr Remington Ultra Corelokts (bonded version)
Posted By: Quak Re: 700 Titanium - 02/10/19
Those Ultra Corelokts were great bullets. I wish Remington would sell them to reloaders.
Posted By: jdunham Re: 700 Titanium - 02/10/19
Originally Posted by Quak
Just curious as to why Remington discontinued these? They seemed very popular and command a ton of dough on the used market.

Because that is what Remington does.
Posted By: Jericho Re: 700 Titanium - 02/10/19
I had a chance to buy a 700TI in 7MM08 for $500 several years ago, but I was broker than the guy trying to sell it.
Those Ultra Corelokts were great bullets. I wish Remington would sell them to reloaders.

They did, I have several boxes in 25, 270 and 30 caliber, but I bought them @2007. Guessing they don't any longer.

I was a sexy SOB hunting with the Titanium.....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sqweeler Re: 700 Titanium - 02/10/19
Got a 308.Shoot's 1" at 100 with $12/box Federal 150gr blue box.Replaced the J lock with a PT&G. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Kaiser Norton Re: 700 Titanium - 02/10/19
Originally Posted by Steelhead
One rifle I shouldn't have sold.

Ditto. Only 260 I've ever sold....

Kaiser Norton
Posted By: JamesJr Re: 700 Titanium - 02/10/19
For some reason, Remington does that on a regular basis. The LVSF is another example. These rifles sell very well on the used market, often for more than they sold for new.
Posted By: Woodhits Re: 700 Titanium - 02/10/19
I asked this of the Remington rifle rep at one of their writer seminars a few years back. His answer was that an outside vendor was machining the Ti actions for them and, when the demand for aircraft parts, etc. increased due to the wars, the shop ran out of capacity.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 700 Titanium - 02/10/19
Interesting info! I wondered myself, partly because I had a Ti in 7mm-08 for a while which was a good rifle.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: 700 Titanium - 02/10/19
I'm still looking for a 308. But I still have my 260. It is in too good of shape to rebarrel. I'm supposing they didn't chamber them in 350 Rem Mag or 358 Winchester. So a .308 might get rebored to 358 Winchester. Rusty
Posted By: cisco1 Re: 700 Titanium - 02/10/19

Bought a new TI in 7/08. for a hunt in the Alaska range. Never shot real good .Couldn't keep it under 4" or so at 300 yds. Lotsa loading adjusting ,etc. Put Zeiss 3X9 Diavari in Conetrol on it..

Bought a new Mark 5 in .270 Winchester for my son ...same trip. Weatherby had longer BBL ,held 1 more in magazine and weighed within 3 oz. of the Rem. Shot much better than the Rem. Put a Leupold LPS 2? X 10 on it.

I did not like the lock .Lock could be activated with out key by accidentally fooling around , as 1 guy did in camp one evening as we were sitting around the fire.

Trigger was 8 lbs, replaced with a Timney. I had 5-6 conversations with Rem. C/S about trigger......finally admitted they were " lawyered up".

The safety was as loud as the door on my pickup. Replaced that also.

I do not like the action of Titanium.... not smooth but draggy. I kept it for many years ....tryin' to get it to shoot a little better.

Wish I had 100 of the junkers to sell.

I have a lot better rifles.

I did not have a chance to handle one before I bought it, as no one was stocking them. I ordered it from my local GS. the disappoinment started immediatly.
Posted By: roninflag Re: 700 Titanium - 02/10/19
I still have one ti worth every cent I paid for it. my has two awesome. all of ours shoot 1" with the many loads we have tried . they balance nice. light weight. the recoil of the 300 rsum would be pretty noticeable if the guy that sold it to me had not installed a brake.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 700 Titanium - 02/10/19
How much did the short action 700 Ti rifle weigh?
Posted By: SU35 Re: 700 Titanium - 02/10/19
an outside vendor was machining the Ti actions for them

I believe that would be Smith & Wesson, or the same vendor that made titanium parts for S&W.

Still have an original in 270 and a 280 Ackley that I rebarreled with a take off 280 mtn rifle barrel.

They will never go by-by.

Still the best of the mountain rifles for my money.
Posted By: kingston Re: 700 Titanium - 02/10/19
Originally Posted by Woodhits
I asked this of the Remington rifle rep at one of their writer seminars a few years back. His answer was that an outside vendor was machining the Ti actions for them and, when the demand for aircraft parts, etc. increased due to the wars, the shop ran out of capacity.

Thanks
Posted By: kingston Re: 700 Titanium - 02/10/19
My 7-08 weighs 5lbs. 5oz. bare.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 700 Titanium - 02/11/19
Originally Posted by kingston

[Linked Image]

Thanks!

I have a couple of what Big Stick used to call the "faux Ti", a parts gun with a steel action, Mountain Rifle barrel, and Ti stock. I haven't weighted one for some time, mine are in 260 and 308. I wanted to do one in 243, but could never find a MR contour barrel as a donor.
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: 700 Titanium - 02/11/19

Any chance we might see a new version some day?

Kimber started making Montana's

Mike
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: 700 Titanium - 02/11/19
Scoped 7MM-08 with a 6x36 Leupold, 5lbs 14 ozs . I sure like mine, wish I had a couple more:)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: 700 Titanium - 02/11/19
Very nice set up Frank! 😎
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: 700 Titanium - 02/11/19
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by kingston

[Linked Image]

Thanks!

I have a couple of what Big Stick used to call the "faux Ti", a parts gun with a steel action, Mountain Rifle barrel, and Ti stock. I haven't weighted one for some time, mine are in 260 and 308. I wanted to do one in 243, but could never find a MR contour barrel as a donor.

260Rem - be on the lookout for a used Gander Mtn Guide rifle, there was just one in the classifieds recently. Basically a stainless Mtn rifle in the same stock they put on the 1st Gen Ti rifles, like you said makes the perfect start to the "faux Ti". I had one in .243 and in a moment of insanity I sold it - mistake! It was a really nice rifle and shot really well for such a lightweight rig. Had it set up just like my Ti and think it only weighed 6-7 ozs more than the Ti.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BeardHunter Re: 700 Titanium - 02/11/19
Bought a 7-08 when they first were released.....they'll pry it from my cold dead hands. Has ALWAYS shot winchester silver tip 140's into a ragged hole and for my intended use of it thats all I need. Traded a birds head Vaquero for a 30-06 when I heard they were being discontinued and that was the only thing available from the distributor. Some day it'll be a 280AI.
Posted By: 16bore Re: 700 Titanium - 02/11/19
Faux Ti is a pound more at 1/2 the price.
Posted By: DubThomas Re: 700 Titanium - 02/12/19
I had wanted a Ti for a long time after they came out. I had a Model 7 in 7mm RSAUM and wanted a Ti for the longer barrel. I actually found a 700 Ti in my local gun shop. It sat there for sale for over a year. The price started coming down and when it hit the $900 mark I traded that Model 7 in for the Ti. Mounted a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 with the Zplex 600 reticle that I had, installed a Shilen trigger, and it was my "go to"rifle for a long time when I hunted west Texas mulies. My handload for it is 59.5 gr. IMR4350/Fed 215GM/140 gr. Barnes TTSX at about 3070 fps. It's a super accurate rifle, consistently giving me .25-.50 MOA. It's accounted for several mulies, hogs, and west Texas whitetails.

Thumper, as she is aptly named, has been a safe queen for about 3 years now. She's taken a back seat to my Model 70 FWT .257 Roberts, a Remington 700 CDL in 7/08, and now my Barrett Fiedlcraft in 6.5X55. She'll probably get moved back a little more in the gun safe when the Christensen Arms 6,.5 PRC arrives this week.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: 700 Titanium - 02/12/19
Originally Posted by BeardHunter
Bought a 7-08 when they first were released.....they'll pry it from my cold dead hands. Has ALWAYS shot winchester silver tip 140's into a ragged hole and for my intended use of it thats all I need. Traded a birds head Vaquero for a 30-06 when I heard they were being discontinued and that was the only thing available from the distributor. Some day it'll be a 280AI.

Setting up a long action TI with a light sporter barrel barrel (fast twist) chambered in 280AI in a blind mag Edge fill stock is something I've been thinking about for a long time. Light, simple, balance a bit forward, with lots of room in the mag box. Just can't bring myself to pay the price on a complete TI rifle for the action.

Who's making a good TI long action now?
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: 700 Titanium - 02/13/19
Originally Posted by 16bore
Faux Ti is a pound more at 1/2 the price.

More on the order of 6-7 ounces more.
Love em, but there are better mousetraps anymore.
Kimber and Barrett have relegated mine to the back recesses, although it is still hard to pass up a good deal on one.
Posted By: Calvin Re: 700 Titanium - 02/13/19
The Ti’s weakness was the issued stock. In an Edge, very good.
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: 700 Titanium - 02/13/19
Originally Posted by SU35
an outside vendor was machining the Ti actions for them

I believe that would be Smith & Wesson, or the same vendor that made titanium parts for S&W.

Still have an original in 270 and a 280 Ackley that I rebarreled with a take off 280 mtn rifle barrel.

They will never go by-by.

Still the best of the mountain rifles for my money.

It was an outside vendor, but wasn’t S&W. Might have been who machined for them. I knew at one time but don’t remember any longer.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: 700 Titanium - 02/14/19
Originally Posted by DubThomas
I had wanted a Ti for a long time after they came out. I had a Model 7 in 7mm RSAUM and wanted a Ti for the longer barrel. I actually found a 700 Ti in my local gun shop. It sat there for sale for over a year. The price started coming down and when it hit the $900 mark I traded that Model 7 in for the Ti. Mounted a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 with the Zplex 600 reticle that I had, installed a Shilen trigger, and it was my "go to"rifle for a long time when I hunted west Texas mulies. My handload for it is 59.5 gr. IMR4350/Fed 215GM/140 gr. Barnes TTSX at about 3070 fps. It's a super accurate rifle, consistently giving me .25-.50 MOA. It's accounted for several mulies, hogs, and west Texas whitetails.

Thumper, as she is aptly named, has been a safe queen for about 3 years now. She's taken a back seat to my Model 70 FWT .257 Roberts, a Remington 700 CDL in 7/08, and now my Barrett Fiedlcraft in 6.5X55. She'll probably get moved back a little more in the gun safe when the Christensen Arms 6,.5 PRC arrives this week.

Will you take $901 plus shipping and you can tell your wife you made a profit? 😁
Posted By: DubThomas Re: 700 Titanium - 02/19/19
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Originally Posted by DubThomas

Will you take $901 plus shipping and you can tell your wife you made a profit? 😁

Hahahahahaha! Ex-wife now so I ain't gotta worry about it.
Posted By: WideOpenSpaces Re: 700 Titanium - 05/05/19
Originally Posted by Calvin
The Ti’s weakness was the issued stock. In an Edge, very good.

What do you mean by this? What's wrong with the factory stock?
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 700 Titanium - 05/05/19
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Who's making a good TI long action now?

X-treme makes a nice one.
http://www.x-tremeshooting.com/index.php?page=X-Treme%20Ti
© 24hourcampfire