Home
Posted By: Setterman 6.5 CM w/ 100 gr bullets - 02/18/19
Writers or civilians:

Have any of you tried the 100 gr. Sierras in your 6.5 CM? Any reports on accuracy? Most accurate powder? Efficacy for shooting deer sized animals to predators ?

Thanks,

Bob
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 6.5 CM w/ 100 gr bullets - 02/18/19
Not Sierras, but I have shot a couple hundred 100 grain BTs and Partitions from a couple different 6.5 Creedmoors.

I used H4895 and Varget with MOA groups from the 700 ADL and slightly sub-MOA groups from the Savage 10 FP at velocities in the 2,950 to 3,100 fps range.

I can't think of a non-survival situation where I'd ever shoot a Sierra bullet at a game animal, but would expect most Sierra bullets to be accurate and expand quickly. I don't think that I've ever loaded a 6.5mm Sierra bullets for any purpose, but have loaded hundreds of .257" 75 and 90 grain Sierras for shooting pdogs and predators. Both bullets worked fine, but were not fur friendly. The only lighter than 100 grain 6.5mm bullet that I've loaded has been the 95 grain VMax in a couple of 260s and found it to be an excellent coyote killer. My longest ever laser measured pdog was killed with this bullet at 837 yards.
Posted By: Hesp Re: 6.5 CM w/ 100 gr bullets - 02/18/19
I have been shooting the Sierra 100 gr HP in my various 6.5's since 1965.They have delivered excellent accuracy. I have shot them in a 6.5x308 wildcat, 260 Rem, 6.5x55, 6.5-06 & 264 mag. In my 6.5x308 & 260 Rem ( 22" ) Bbl 1/8 twist, .Win 760 / H-414 delivers around 3200 fps with stellar accuracy.This bullet is considerably tougher than one would think. When used on deer ( muley bucks ) & placed in the rib cage they go no where. It has been the most consistent DRT bullet I've used on deer. On occasion I have had them exit the far side of as deer. As I said they are far tougher than one would expect. I have driven then at 3700 fps from my 264 & have held together with out any problem. Before any one condemns this bullet try it first. See for your self.
Posted By: Setterman Re: 6.5 CM w/ 100 gr bullets - 02/18/19
Thanx for the info guys. I’ll load some up. I mentioned Sierra because I received a box gratis and was curious about their use.

Best,

Bob
Posted By: Seafire Re: 6.5 CM w/ 100 gr bullets - 02/19/19
used them in a 260 and have had one shot successes, bang flops with the 100 grain Sierra HP.

loaded up the 85 grain HP, with a charge of 30 grains of 4198 for kids to use... and that combo has also been successful each time afield.
Posted By: hanco Re: 6.5 CM w/ 100 gr bullets - 02/19/19
I like the 120 TTSX in mine. They hammer deer and pigs!
In my 260 Rem build (700 ADL & 22" SS mountain rifle barrel) the 85 & 100 gr Sierra and 95 gr V-Maxes shoot great. Maybe ok for ribcage shots but I'd rather use 120+ grs for med game and that's the problem this barrel won't shoot anything heavier than 100 grs. Guess I'll try the 100 gr NPT's next. MB
Must be the twist, or lack there of.

Too bad they didn’t go faster, like 8 twist CM.

DF
Posted By: Setterman Re: 6.5 CM w/ 100 gr bullets - 02/19/19
Thanks guys. I’ve been successful with the 120 NBT’s in both the 6.5 cm and the 6.5 x55 Swede. Had some 100 sierras given to me and thought I’d try them on paper if it ever gets above 20.

Wish I still had the Swede.

Bob
Yeah Dirtfarmer, I think that barrel has a 1 in 9 .Well I ain't nothing if not resource full I'll just burn the sob out shooting dogs this year.LOL MB
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Yeah Dirtfarmer, I think that barrel has a 1 in 9 .Well I ain't nothing if not resource full I'll just burn the sob out shooting dogs this year.LOL MB

You'd think a 9 twist wouldn't have a 100 gr. ceiling. If I was stuck with 100's. I'd look at the 100 ELD-M, 100 NPT, 100 TAC-TX. The 100 Scenar may be interesting, but the're on BO at Midway.

Maybe some of the less sleek 120's may work, length being the critical element.

DF
Originally Posted by Setterman
Thanks guys. I’ve been successful with the 120 NBT’s in both the 6.5 cm and the 6.5 x55 Swede. Had some 100 sierras given to me and thought I’d try them on paper if it ever gets above 20.

Wish I still had the Swede.

Bob

My Creed does very well with a number of bullets. This group is with the 123 Scenar over Varget.

My Swede does very well with the 139 Scenar over MRP. It's more finicky than the Creed.

DF

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 6.5 CM w/ 100 gr bullets - 02/20/19
I've used a good many Sierras on deer, but IMO, they're for ribshots only, and far enough back so as not to jelly the offside shoulder. These days, I want something that can be angled in if need be, and leave two holes. Lots of bullets that can do that cost no more than Sierras.

After trashing three nice foxes, I'm giving up on powereful CFs for anything wearing fur I hope to keep. If you just want to send them over, have at it.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I've used a good many Sierras on deer, but IMO, they're for ribshots only, and far enough back so as not to jelly the offside shoulder. .

That is the most accurate statement I've ever read on the fire bar none. MB
Posted By: Hesp Re: 6.5 CM w/ 100 gr bullets - 02/20/19
If you use a heavier C&C bullet it will jelly a shoulder if that's where you hit. If you hit an on side shoulder with a heavy bullet you will jelly it & the off side shoulder as well. Bullet placement should be a top priority.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 6.5 CM w/ 100 gr bullets - 02/21/19
The most accurate load with 100-grain bullets of the relatively few I've tried in the 6.5 Creedmoor is 46.5 grains of Ramshot Big Game with the 100-grain TTSX. This was in a 26-inch barrel, and got 3400 fps. In shorter barrels it gets 3250-3300+.

Unless somebody simply wants to blow up varmints or eating meat I don't understand why anybody would want to use 100-grain bullets in the Creedmoor--unless, of course, you're one of those one-cartridge handloaders who wants to "duplicate" other cartridges. However, have yet to encounter one of those handloaders who chooses ONE round for that purpose--at least not on the Internet.

Before the Creedmoor appeared I encountered quite a few who claimed the .260 Remington was the most "flexible" cartridge for handloaders, since it could be loaded with various bullets and powders to resemble the .243 Winchester, .25-06 Remington or (of course) the 6.5x55. But none of those guys owned only ONE .260 Remington.

However, if some handloader, somehow does want to own ONE centerfire rifle for all their dreamed-for purposes from varmints to elk, the 6.5 Creedmoor would work. But if so, I dunno why anybody would choose a light lead-core bullet pushed fast for anything except varmints--and even then would not choose one for fur shooting.

Am a little surprised by Hesp's posts here, since in his other posts he seems to be a true-blue believer in TSX's for big game. Would be interested in hearing why he's not in this instance.
Posted By: SKane Re: 6.5 CM w/ 100 gr bullets - 02/21/19
Originally Posted by Hesp
I have been shooting the Sierra 100 gr HP in my various 6.5's since 1965.They have delivered excellent accuracy. I have shot them in a 6.5x308 wildcat, 260 Rem, 6.5x55, 6.5-06 & 264 mag. In my 6.5x308 & 260 Rem ( 22" ) Bbl 1/8 twist, .Win 760 / H-414 delivers around 3200 fps with stellar accuracy.This bullet is considerably tougher than one would think. When used on deer ( muley bucks ) & placed in the rib cage they go no where. It has been the most consistent DRT bullet I've used on deer. On occasion I have had them exit the far side of as deer. As I said they are far tougher than one would expect. I have driven then at 3700 fps from my 264 & have held together with out any problem. Before any one condemns this bullet try it first. See for your self.

I'm, ummmm, just gonna take your word for it. smile
Posted By: Hesp Re: 6.5 CM w/ 100 gr bullets - 02/21/19
This Sierra 100gr HP is considerably tougher bullet than you think. It does not act like some explosive prairie dog bullet. Try it & see for yourself.. I feel sure you will be surprised. Opinions that are based on opinion can be considerably different than tried in the field fact.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 6.5 CM w/ 100 gr bullets - 02/21/19
This Sierra 100gr HP is considerably tougher bullet than you think. It does not act like some explosive prairie dog bullet. Try it & see for yourself.. I feel sure you will be surprised. Opinions that are based on opinion can be considerably different than tried in the field fact.

My experience with Sierra bullets has been that they tend to be softer, more fragile, than bullets of the same weight from Hornady, Nosler, and Speer. Their fragile nature is why I don't shoot them at game any longer.

Too bad there isn't a math formula for determining the optimum bullet weight for each bore diameter.
Posted By: Hesp Re: 6.5 CM w/ 100 gr bullets - 02/21/19
Good day 260. By the way the 260 Rem is one of my favorite cals. Any way over the years I have taken numerous deer , elk & antelope with Sierra bullets . Never had a problem. All my elk hunting for the last few years has been with the Barnes TSX & TTSX. As for deer I continue to use the Sierra bullet. Large mature muley's year after year. Never failed me. Wish we were closer as I'm sure we would have a lot in common. Best to you & good hunting.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 6.5 CM w/ 100 gr bullets - 02/21/19
I'm sorry to hear that you're moving to Montana, as I am looking at buying a retirement home in South Fork and that would almost make us neighbors.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 6.5 CM w/ 100 gr bullets - 03/01/19

I've found this to be true also...

with the 260, I usually load a 100 grain bullet for deer hunting...

either 43.5 gr of 4064

or 30 grains of 4198...

either charge has worked well on deer around here.... Blacktails...

my favorite three 100 grain bullets have been the Ballistic Tips, the 100 gr HP Sierra and the sadly discontinued 100 grain SP Hornady.....

its almost like if a bullet doesn't have a plastic tip on it, no one considers it any good anymore...
except if its a Barnes or some sort of Target bullet for Lapua or Sierra... who's also migrating to Plastic Tips
a lot more...

Nosler does make a partition in 100 grains also, if someone feels the need...

I use a special partition they made or make for a European customer/ manufacturer....
a 105 grain SMP partition.... picked up 500 or 600 or them over in Bend at Nosler's Shooter's Pro Shope
for like 10 cents a piece... so at my age that is more than a lifetime supply...
Posted By: sbhooper Re: 6.5 CM w/ 100 gr bullets - 03/03/19
With a cartridge that does so well with 129-147-grain bullets, I have a hard time seeing the allure of a 100-grain bullet, for anything but varmints. It loses the bc battle pretty quickly and if 100-grain is the preference, why not shoot a 6mm of some type?
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 6.5 CM w/ 100 gr bullets - 03/03/19
I like to punch my tags with 100 grain BTs and Partitions fired from 260s and 6.5 Creedmoors.

They go fast, hit hard, and the Partitions have always penetrated through and through.

In Nebraska, I mostly hunt in creek-bottom cover and the adjacent cut corn and soybean fields where the vast majority of animals are within 200 yards, with most shots presenting themselves in the 75 to 150 yard range. At those ranges, BC numbers don't mean much, nor does the cartridges used, as long as the bullet construction is appropriate for the intended game.
Posted By: Seafire Re: 6.5 CM w/ 100 gr bullets - 03/03/19
Originally Posted by sbhooper
With a cartridge that does so well with 129-147-grain bullets, I have a hard time seeing the allure of a 100-grain bullet, for anything but varmints. It loses the bc battle pretty quickly and if 100-grain is the preference, why not shoot a 6mm of some type?

I carry 243s afield also... depends on my mood at the moment...

But since you questioned why a 6.5 mm with a 100 grain ballistic tip, or bullet..

I'll use an example of what I have done twice...

100 GR Ballistic tip...charge of 43.5 grs of 4064, 3350 fps MV.
Using the hood of an old F250 from the early 80s, for a bench rest. Harris Bi Pod
Leupold 3 x 9 on top of a Ruger 77 Mk 2...set on 4 power...Target dot reticle.

both times deer at 300 plus yards walking thru brush at the edge of a clear cut..

both times, deer came thru an opening, after trailing them in the scope..

pulled the trigger with no compensation for distance, scope set at 3.5 inch high from 100 yd zero.

both times, the deer dropped like a sack of potatoes.. and never lost sight picture in the scope during recoil.
watched them go down in the scope...

Several other deer, one was one of the largest blacktail I've taken.. 175 lbs..
150 to 175 yds... rest against a tree, same Ruger Rifle and Scope. both shots, right thru the heart.

after the successes I've had with the 100 grain Ballistic Tip, 100 grain Hornady SP and the 100 grain Sierra HP..... I have seen the need for the extra recoil that would come with a heavier bullet....

yet the same rifle has dropped Blacktails with the 129 grain Horn SP and the 140 grain Horn SP.
Same results, just more recoil that the 129 and 140s...

Same rifle has also had good results with the 120 grain Ballistic Tips, 125 grain Partition...

The less recoil with the 100s, allows me to see the deer drop in the sight picture of the scope..when set on 3 or 4 power...

a Ruger 6.5 x 55 has also produced the same results...with the same bullets.
© 24hourcampfire