Home
Posted By: Lucas1 Mauser M18 - 02/28/19
Have any of you tested the Mauser M18 rifles?
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Mauser M18 - 03/01/19
There are some videos on youtube of long range testing.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Mauser M18 - 03/01/19
Check out the video from the Fieldsports Channel. They run one along with an M12 to very long range. The range coach uses an old 98 with tracers to check the wind over the tricky range terrain. Very cool stuff.

Have yet to see one, but they seem to be very well put together. Think I like the M12 just enough better to go the extra bucks if I ever need another rifle.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Mauser M18 - 03/01/19
Have one on hand for testing, but haven't been able to really get after because of miserable weather.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have one on hand for testing, but haven't been able to really get after because of miserable weather.

6.5 You-Know-Who I presume?
You presume wrong! 7mm Remington Magnum....
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Mauser M18 - 03/01/19
I just about grabbed one, but it was in, yawn, 30-06. AND, the Mauser banner was on top of the action. I want it on the SIDE of the ring, please.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
You presume wrong! 7mm Remington Magnum....

Dang! After posting that I thought, "Crap, I bet it's a PRC."

A big 7, pretty retro. Your choice or theirs?
Mine. Haven't fooled with new powders and bullets in one, and it's time update the range data.

Plus, I hear some hunters still use it, and rifle companies still sell quite a few. :-)
Well, just watch out for that dangerous and troublesome belt.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Mauser M18 - 03/02/19
Thanks for warning me. Have heard ALL belted cases separate on the first firing.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Mauser M18 - 03/02/19
And the belted case does not feed well.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Mauser M18 - 03/02/19
Have heard that too! Will have to try some....
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Mauser M18 - 03/02/19
Good luck MD,you're going to need it. wink
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Mauser M18 - 03/02/19
Looking forward to the range report on that one. Have yet to see one in person but they do seem interesting. Sorry to hear about that archaic chambering but lots of rifle loonies go for those obscure, retro, niche cartridges like the now 57 year old Seven Mag.. Of course; back then everyone thought that it couldn't be a magnum unless it had a belt and nowadays we are all so much more knowledgeable and realize you'll probably have numerous case head separations and feeding issues with that superfluous belt. Hope the weather breaks pretty soon 'cause I've got a backlog of stuff to do at the range, too.
Posted By: Lucas1 Re: Mauser M18 - 03/02/19
Thanks. I will be waiting on the report also.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Mauser M18 - 03/02/19
There's a reason for collet dies...
Posted By: sierraHunter Re: Mauser M18 - 03/03/19
Yeah, my 55 year old "flawed" 7 mag has been such a pain in the arse I keep it for a reminder. Yup, of the days when Remington 700's were very well made and the days when men were men and spent their time shooting and hunting and not just pecking on keyboards. Not to imply that is all we here do. But there are so many more "experts" out there that inform me of the flaws in my choices. LOL. I am looking forward to handling in person a Mauser M18 and a new Sauer100 or a new Steyr.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Mauser M18 - 03/03/19
The M18 and Sauer 100 are very similar in build and actually share the same magazine. Of the 2 Mausers discussed here, it is generally `agreed the M12 is a superior rifle to the M18 but not by much. The M12 uses a press fit barrel fitment where the M18, like the Sauer 100 barrels screw in. The 5 round, flush fit magazine is, in the minds of many, a superior arrangement to the single stack of the Tikka T3X. Scope base spacing on the Sauer 100 is based on the Remington 700 LA which makes it handy. I believe it is the same on the M18 but will need to confirm. Adjustable trigger without disassembly is nice and I like the ergonomics of the stock.
The only fault I have with these models is that they are not offered in a LH configuration.
Posted By: tj3006 Re: Mauser M18 - 03/03/19
The m-18 can be had in 6.5 PRC, i think , and i may have to buy one, The cartridge, has my attention, as a Pretty big step up from my old favorite, the Roberts. i need to see an M-18 though, before i order it. some of the Synthetic stocks on lower end rifles just don't do it for me. I do like the snap in compartment , though. ...tj3006
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Mauser M18 - 03/03/19
Confirming it is available in 6.5 PRC. I wasn’t a big PRC fan but a buddy shot the M18 at distance and was very impressed.
Posted By: Filaman Re: Mauser M18 - 03/03/19
I just looked up the new M-18 Mauser on G&A. It sounds and looks great. Looks like Mauser has perfected hammer forging barrels. That is a big step. Hammer forged barrels are more durable and will give you more rounds before the throat burns out. I like it. If I was in the market for a new rifle chambered in one of the new Whiz Bang cartridges I might consider it. The price is right.
© 24hourcampfire