Home
Posted By: Jevyod Mule deer books - 03/13/19
Not sure where to put the question but what books would you recommend? I just recently discovered he wrote a number of books. What would you recommend as the top 3? Obviously my interests will dictate somewhat what I should read. I like plain old hunting stories, so was thinking of getting one of those. I really like stories that give a bit of detail to caliber used, how it performed, etc.
I am not interested in wing-shooting, but love ballistics studies, terminal performance, and am a bullet construction nut. Love reading about bullet performance, reading about premium bullets vs standard cup and core, etc. Yes, I do overthink this stuff, but it is a hobby for me. Also, I believe he has done a lot of work on load development for many calibers, is there a place where that is compiled in one place? I have bought several back issues of handloader magazines, but that gets expensive pretty fast.( I do get them now). Or how what is the best method of getting his articles on particular calibers?
Or maybe john,you can point me in the right direction here. I would be interested in any articles you did on the 243, 260 rem, 308 win, 358 win, (ok i am seeing a pattern here) 225 winchester, 35 remington, 338 federal, 35 whelen, and any AI chamberings. If need to buy several more back issues of handloader, or any other magazine, I can do that. I wish there was a particular website or book that I could purchase with all the load date you have gathered! Maybe a retirement project! whistle
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Also, I believe he has done a lot of work on load development for many calibers, is there a place where that is compiled in one place? ... I would be interested in any articles you did on the 243, 260 rem, 308 win, 358 win, (ok i am seeing a pattern here) 225 winchester, 35 remington, 338 federal, 35 whelen, and any AI chamberings. If need to buy several more back issues of handloader, or any other magazine, I can do that. I wish there was a particular website or book that I could purchase with all the load date you have gathered! Maybe a retirement project! whistle

Big Book of Gun Gack I and II would cover a good chunk of those. Excellent tomes, those.

FC
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: Mule deer books - 03/13/19
^^^^^
What he said.
I have read only four of John's books, but I plan to read more! He writes well, has a ton of knowledge, is still learning new things and writing about them. His opinions are fact based and well thought out. I particularly enjoy learning the history of the various cartridges, even if a cartridge I don't care to own. One minor complaint . . . more pictures! I always want more pictures!

ETA: I also subscribe to Rifle and Handloader, where John writes a good bit.
Posted By: Jevyod Re: Mule deer books - 03/13/19
Does Gun Gack or Gack II have anything on the 225 winchester and the 358 Winchester?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Mule deer books - 03/13/19
Gun Gack includes the .358. No .225 data.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Mule deer books - 03/13/19
I should have also noted that the table of contents for each book is listed on the website. Click on whatever book you're interested in, then scroll down a little and there's a toolbar with description/table of contents/reviews.
Posted By: cleanbarrel Re: Mule deer books - 03/14/19
I have the Big Book of Gunk Gack & love it. Just checked the table of contents of Gun Gack 11 and note that you haven't written
up anything on the 45-70. Whats up with this ?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Mule deer books - 03/14/19
The subtitle of the first Gun Gack is "The Hunter's Guide to Handloading Smokeless Rifle Cartridges," and I explain the in the introduction why I didn't include the .45-70: There are so many rifle variations, including old black-powder "trapdoors" and modern single-shots, that publishing data suitable for all becomes pretty complicated. Especially because of the present trend toward poor reading comprehension, and suing people who publish loading data when a smokeless load damages a blackpowder gun--or the shooter.

But I did include some black powder (and suitable smokeless) data for the .38-55 in Gun Gack II, and may include more in GG III, including the .45-70--and the .50-70, since I just bought an original Allin conversion trapdoor made in 1866. Still haven't made up my mind.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Mule deer books - 03/14/19
MD,when are you going to update the B-29 load data?
As soon as it's standardized by SAAMI!
Posted By: Jevyod Re: Mule deer books - 03/14/19
Thanks for the recommendations! Looked at the table of contents, and looks like both gun gack books will be right down my ally! Thanks.
Posted By: cleanbarrel Re: Mule deer books - 03/14/19
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
But I did include some black powder (and suitable smokeless) data for the .38-55 in Gun Gack II, and may include more in GG III, including the .45-70--and the .50-70, since I just bought an original Allin conversion trapdoor made in 1866. Still haven't made up my mind.

Ok thanks, all the more reason I need to order a GG11.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Mule deer books - 03/14/19
As soon as it's standardized by SAAMI!

Gotcha. wink
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: Mule deer books - 03/14/19
So there is going to be a GG III? If so, I look forward to it. Mule Deer, are you just starting, in the middle, or almost done? Meaning do you have an estimated publication date?
Have started it, probably about 1/3 of the way into the first draft. Will probably be 2 years before it's published: GUN GACK appeared in 2015, GGII in 2018--but between them we published THE BIG BOOK OF BIG GAME HUNTING.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Mule deer books - 03/14/19
Have started it, probably about 1/3 of the way into the first draft. Will probably be 2 years before it's published: GUN GACK appeared in 2015, GGII in 2018--but between them we published THE BIG BOOK OF BIG GAME HUNTING.

Anything in it for me, or should I just keep on calling you?
Kirk,

About a quarter of the book will be a section titled, "Handloading Questions Shrapnel Asked Me On The Phone." At your age, you might want to get a copy in case you forget the answers!
Posted By: mathman Re: Mule deer books - 03/14/19
I thought Shrapnel knew everything already. grin
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Mule deer books - 03/15/19
Will there be a "Rifle Loony News: The Second Five Years" ?
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Mule deer books - 03/15/19
MD, Might I request some 6.8 SPC II info in GG III? As I recall you've done some hog killing with the round on Bill Wilson's place. Years ago I bought my then seven year old a Ruger Hawkeye in 6.8. After speaking with Mr. Wilson about his AR barrels he agreed to ream out the Ruger chamber to SPC II. It's been a great little rifle but data specific to that chamber has been hard to find.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Mule deer books - 03/15/19
Theo,

Yep, we're planning on having the second RLN out this year.
Posted By: Cascade Re: Mule deer books - 03/15/19
Kirk,

About a quarter of the book will be a section titled, "Handloading Questions Shrapnel Asked Me On The Phone." At your age, you might want to get a copy in case you forget the answers!

Ha! And this sense of humor keeps me reading John's hunting stories.

Guy
pabucktail,

You can request 6.8 SPC II info, but unless something unusual occurs, it probably won't happen, because it's apparently not all that popular. Even Bill Wilson decided to design a new AR hunting round with a little more punch, and he has as much experience with the 6.8 as anybody.

There will be a chapter on the .300 HAM'R.
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Mule deer books - 03/15/19
Correct me if I'm wrong. Wasn't the 6.8SPC designed to give short barreled carbines like the M4 more punch at close range?
Yes, but the 1-10 rifling twist and short throat hampered it. The 6.5 SPC II has a longer throat, and the preferred twist is 1-11.

Bill Wilson designed the .300 HAM'R to provide even more punch for hunting pigs and deer from short barrels. It's essentially a "stretched" .300 Blackout, and pretty much duplicates the .30-30, but with improved bullets--though it also works with 150-grain .30-30 bullets. It's been tested on several hundred pigs, quite a few deer, and at least one medium-sized bull elk. Bill says it's a step up from the 6.8, whether original or II. Not that the 6.8 doesn't work well (it certainly did when I used a couple of Bill's AR-15's when hunting with him, on animals from one unfortunate coyote to pigs up to 200 pounds) but he believes the .300 work a little better on bigger animals.

Posted By: pabucktail Re: Mule deer books - 03/16/19
The worst thing to happen to the 6.8 was Remington was allowed to touch it.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Mule deer books - 03/16/19
That's what I have heard!
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Mule deer books - 03/16/19

I am considering buying a 6mm Lee Navy, any books on that?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Mule deer books - 03/16/19
Originally Posted by pabucktail
The worst thing to happen to the 6.8 was Remington was allowed to touch it.

Thankfully, they were nowhere to be seen when the 6.5 Grendel was on the drawing board. I consider the two pretty much dead even for ordinary hunting purposes, but the Grendel pulls way in front as an all-arounder, especially when ranges start to get long. Available bullet choices and rifling twists make the difference as usual. None of the article I've read on the 6.8 reported any stellar accuracy either, just decent practical accuracy.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Mule deer books - 03/16/19
I looked hard at the Grendel but its proprietary status combined with the availability and quality of Silver State Armory brass at the time (10 yrs ago) made the decision easy. We've got 6.8 ARs and one bolt gun with accuracy ranging from pretty stellar for one example and high practical for the others. It certainly helps little kids kill deer well with its minimal blast and recoil but probably my favorite platform for the 6.8 is in an SBR. My 10.5" gun is the most accurate of those I have and gets 2800+ with 85 grainers and 2500 with 100s. I like those velocities in such a handy little gun.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Mule deer books - 03/16/19
Can't argue with any of that. Obviously, it's worked well for you. Stuff you mentioned has changed somewhat, but no reason for someone like you to switch. I got rid of my Grendel shortly after my 6mm Fieldcraft arrived. Better in every way, unless one simply has to have walnut. I still have a 7.62x39 Howa Mini for a Grandchild Special, despite its shortcomings for general use.
Posted By: Tom2506 Re: Mule deer books - 03/16/19
The B-29 data definitely needs reviewing. With today’s new powders and premium bullets it will be way
more betterer. Thanks for putting up with our shenanigans John!
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Mule deer books - 03/16/19
Might have to include the B-29 in GG3.....
Posted By: Tom2506 Re: Mule deer books - 03/16/19
Yay!! B-29 fans rejoice!
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Mule deer books - 03/17/19
Once the B-29 does get standardized..... it's going to cut deep into Creedmoor sales cool
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Mule deer books - 03/17/19
Might have to include the B-29 in GG3.....

How about the 9.3 BS?

I haven't given up on securing or building one.

Why? WTH knows?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Mule deer books - 03/17/19
Bruce,

There's a chapter on 9.3 Barsness-Sisk in THE BIG BOOK OF GUN GACK.

Charlie has the reamer, and building one is mostly a matter simply rebarreling any action made for any of the short, fat, beltless magnums, whether WSM's, SAUM's, or RCM's.

Shooters still sometimes ask why we used the .350 Remington case, when the WSM case has more capacity. There were three reasons:

1) Charlie noticed the .350 often fed even better in WSM/SAUM actions than the WSM/SAUM rounds.
2) We didn't want more case capacity. Instead, we wanted to duplicate the performance of the 9.3x62 in a short action, and the .350 case has just about the same amount of powder room. It worked out exactly like we planned.
3) We chose a belted magnum case to make sure brass for conversion would always be easily available. This proved to be pretty smart. Even .300 WSM brass is sometimes in short supply.
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: Mule deer books - 03/17/19
This thread is wandering all over the place. But is sure is going to some interesting and informative places!
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: Mule deer books - 03/17/19
Yes, but the 1-10 rifling twist and short throat hampered it. The 6.5 SPC II has a longer throat, and the preferred twist is 1-11.

I understand the short throat, but how did a bit too fast(?) twist hamper it?
Posted By: Jevyod Re: Mule deer books - 03/17/19
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Once the B-29 does get standardized..... it's going to cut deep into Creedmoor sales cool

I am intrigued....what is the B-29
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Mule deer books - 03/18/19
GunDoc,

Damned if I know, because I've never messed all that much with either version of the 6.8 SPC, mostly because it never seemed like a real solution to any hunting "problem" I've encountered--and I'm primarily a hunter.

But that's what I hear and read from people who have, and I know some SPC experts. But from other experience, suspect the twist is FAR behind the throat dimensions.

As mentioned earlier, do know that Bill Wilson (who I hunted with using his 6.8 AR's almost a decade ago) decided to develop another round that he's pretty sure works better for general big game hunting in an AR-15, the .300 HAM'R. He's pretty sure because of shooting hundreds of pigs, and other animals, with it.
Jevyod,

The B-29 is a mythical wildcat, which I made up probably close to 20 years ago after a conversation around a real campfire with Dave Scovill (then the editor of RIFLE and HANDLOADER) and Ron Spomer, while camping in teepees on the New Mexico plains to hunt antelope.

The point was to "invent" a fictional wildcat that was far superior to any general big game cartridge ever. It was .29 caliber because no popular sporting round has ever been a .29. My eventual article (with photos) was a complete work of fiction, but a BUNCH of readers fell for it, to the point where more people contacted the magazine than ever before. Among other things, Monica Lewinsky supposedly ground the reamer, the bullets had such high BC's it was initially suspected they actually ROSE in flight, and not only killed deer and elk suddenly at 400+ yards, but flipped them over on their backs, ready for field-dressing.

Basically, it was a spoof on how many shooters firmly believe in magic cartridges. And it proved how many do.
Posted By: Jevyod Re: Mule deer books - 03/18/19
I figured it was something along that line!! I love humor and would be interested in getting the article(and reading it to my friends)!! Is there a good place to purchase it??!
Posted By: Jevyod Re: Mule deer books - 03/18/19
Actually think I may have found it. Is it in Handloader #203?
Darned if I know, but that would be about right!

If I put it in GGIII, will also add some stories about how it was received....
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: Mule deer books - 03/18/19
^^^^^^^
Be sure to include data on the B-29 AI, because an extra 300 fps is not to be ignored!
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: Mule deer books - 03/18/19
GunDoc,

Damned if I know, because I've never messed all that much with either version of the 6.8 SPC, mostly because it never seemed like a real solution to any hunting "problem" I've encountered--and I'm primarily a hunter.

But that's what I hear and read from people who have, and I know some SPC experts. But from other experience, suspect the twist is FAR behind the throat dimensions.

As mentioned earlier, do know that Bill Wilson (who I hunted with using his 6.8 AR's almost a decade ago) decided to develop another round that he's pretty sure works better for general big game hunting in an AR-15, the .300 HAM'R. He's pretty sure because of shooting hundreds of pigs, and other animals, with it.

Thanks for the reply. I've never explored the AR platform as a hunting rifle. But fighting bad guys, trying to kill multiple pigs at a time, or any other reason for quick repeat shots, the platform is a good one. I'm certainly not going to fault anyone for hunting with one using it within the limits of whatever the cartridge happens to be. (You have written some thoughtful stuff about the logical inconsistencies in the arguments some people use when discussing various rifle actions.)

My big issue is the government not banning the platform!
Posted By: Azar Re: Mule deer books - 03/19/19
Jevyod,

I'll agree with prior posters that BBGG I & II are both great places to start for the ballistic and bullet gack (and I'd follow those with Rifle Troubleshooting and Handloading and then Obsessions of a Rifle Loony, in that order). As far as Johns collections of hunting stories they are all good. But I think my favorite is his first, The Life of the Hunt. That's one I need to pick up and read again.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Mule deer books - 03/20/19
Azar,

Thanks very much. The Life of the Hunt is also my personal favorite. Once in a while I reread it again myself--and wonder where some of that stuff was hiding in my subconscious.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Mule deer books - 03/20/19

MULE DEER , 25 Creedmoor its that a thought for Gun Gack 3 ?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Mule deer books - 03/21/19
Maybe. We shall see!
Posted By: Azar Re: Mule deer books - 03/21/19
John,

I have to say that I think one of my all-time favorite hunting stories of yours is "Remembering Grandma" (if I remember the title right). I loved that story and found myself wishing I could have known her personally. What an amazing, tough, and resilient woman.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Mule deer books - 03/21/19
i do look forward to your next Gun Gack 3 book. i have even thought i might get a Gun Gack 1 & 2 for some Christmas gifts ? any deals this year on the pair ?
Azar,

Yep, that's the title. She was indeed pretty tough, as any woman homesteading by herself in Montana had to be!
Pete,

Eileen says she can subtract $3 for each additional Gun Gack book above the first one, if they're shipped in one package. You can either order through riflesandrecipes.com and add a note of that in the space to make requests. (Most people us it for how they want them signed. We autograph every one that's shipped, but can add special notes for gift-books, also free of charge.)

Or you can call her at 406-521-0273.
Posted By: Gun_Doc Re: Mule deer books - 03/21/19
I'm feeling the need for a few more JB Books. (Anybody see what I did there?)

But I actually do feel like a couple more books.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Mule deer books - 03/21/19
MULE DEER, will order this this summer,thank you,Pete53
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Mule deer books - 03/24/19
MD, does riflesandrecipes have a complete index of your, and Elaine's books?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Mule deer books - 03/24/19
Mark,

Do you mean a complete list of ALL our books that have ever been published, even those that are out of print? Or all that are still available? No on the first, yes on the second.
Posted By: Cloudrnnr Re: Mule deer books - 03/27/19
Just finished the Gacks--outstanding!
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Mule deer books - 03/27/19
Thanks!

Am working on GG3, but it won't appear until next year.
© 24hourcampfire