Home
What do you think?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/814137783

Did someone rob the museum?

[Linked Image]
Rev, you signed up to bid?

Looks like your kinda rifle, even has some history.

DF
Noooo....not me.

I just find it hard to believe that one of your rifles is sitting on Gunbroker.
I knew that rifle was in the museum. I wasn't aware that Biesen built (another) one for her.
Ron's is a reputable dealer that frequently advertises high grade and unusual/uncommon firearms, so they probably have the provenance documentation to support their claim.

I have always been under the impression that Eleanor O'Connor was on the short side and that rifle looks to have a pretty standard LOP.

When you're paying a premium price for the story attached to an item it has long been my rule of thumb that you need provenance, provenance, and more provenance. Without provenance a great story, no matter how true, is just another story about the big one that got away.

I've bought a couple of firearms from Ron's, all unusual and premium priced, but I've never seen any of them for sale elsewhere.
And it certainly doesn't look like a stock that JOC had a hand in, but who knows. As you say, in this case the provenance is critical.
Pics show a 33/40 action with a winchester style safety, doesn't look right to me. Nice enough rifle, but not that nice!

The closer you get to Wyoming, the more guns you will find that belonged to Tom Horn. This is the nature of anything of value. Until you have ironclad proof, that is just another gun with a story and nothing more...

Originally Posted by RevMike
And it certainly doesn't look like a stock that JOC had a hand in, but who knows. As you say, in this case the provenance is critical.

May very well be as advertised, but I’ve never seen a stock on one of JOC’s guns with that type of comb or forend.
I’d have to be convinced of the provenance. Lots of questions that don’t quite build confidence. Like LOP, her gun had a recoil pad, etc. She may have owned it but wouldn’t think it was one she used, based on the above info.

Still a nice rifle.

DF
In THE LAST BOOK (or at least that's where I recall the story is from) Jack O'Connor mentioned receiving a gift rifle, out of the blue, from a well-known custom gunmaker. I also recall it was was 7x57, but both he and Eleanor agreed it was too heavy for either of them to like hunting with it, so they sold it.

Dunno is this is that rifle (might have to try to find that part of the book again) but do know, and not just from that story, that gun writers sometimes receive gift rifles that they would never order, whether in style, weight or other details.
The GB ad says "Please call the shop for more infor, ask for Ron."

Contact Information, Ron's Guns Inc. 194 Boston Post Rd. East Lyme, Ct. 06333, 860-739-6805.
If it is a Biesen it would be so marked on the barrel.

One would think Ron would therefore be able to spell Al's surname correctly.
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
If it is a Biesen it would be so marked on the barrel.

One would thing Ron would therefore be able to spell Al's surname correctly.

Yeah, if it's on the barrel, he should be able to read and copy the correct spelling... blush

DF
nyrifleman,

I have seen a BUNCH of ads in various places (including the Campfire Classifieds) where the item was misspelled, even though whoever wrote the ad could theoretically just read it off the product.
No doubt John.

But if I were selling a $7500 rifle attributed to both Bieson and O'Conner I would be sure to dot my T's and cross my I's.

grin laugh
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
In THE LAST BOOK (or at least that's where I recall the story is from) Jack O'Connor mentioned receiving a gift rifle, out of the blue, from a well-known custom gunmaker. I also recall it was was 7x57, but both he and Eleanor agreed it was too heavy for either of them to like hunting with it, so they sold it.

Dunno is this is that rifle (might have to try to find that part of the book again) but do know, and not just from that story, that gun writers sometimes receive gift rifles that they would never order, whether in style, weight or other details.

I think I read something about this in an old thread that Tom Turpin (I think) contributed to. It might have been a thread about JOC and the .280.
The .280 was a Ruger 77, the last rifle he had commissioned before his death.
Seems I remember an unfinished Ruger rifle when JOC passed away.

Don't you guys think this rifle would be worth about half the starting bid without the provenance?

Nice rifle, but $7500 starting bid in a relatively soft market.

We'll see how it goes.

DF
There is a Biesen/ O’Connor rifle also on Gunbroker for 20,000. Buy them both

Right, but this is what I was thinking of (fourth paragraph):

As Jack O'Connor himself once wrote, the life of a gun writer can be a somewhat slippery slope. A lot of people want publicity for their products, and hope a gun writer can provide it. This is fine as long as everybody follows some sort of ground rules, but a lot of things can interfere.

Gun writers do get offered or sent a lot of free stuff, though not as much as some readers might believe. That said, I've occasionally been given free guns I never asked for and didn't particularly want. How should that be handled? Some I tested, wrote up, and then sent down the road, usually trading them for some other firearm by the same company.

I've also had gunsmiths offer to make me custom rifles. I always offer to pay or trade for them, but have never found anyone willing to take the full price. Sometimes I get a discount, and sometimes I've been able to insist on paying for the parts or providing an action, but quite often the guy insists it's all on him. (I have ordered custom rifles myself from a couple of companies, and paid for them just like any other customer.)

Getting "free" custom rifles is a mixed blessing. Somebody who offers you a rifle often ends up making a rifle THEY like--which of course means it really isn't your custom rifle. I remember reading in O'Connor's biography about a well-known custom maker sending Jack and Eleanor a fine walnut-stocked 7x57, out of the blue. The rifle turned out to weigh close to nine pounds with scope, which as anybody who's read much O'Connor knows wouldn't be the 7x57 of his dreams. Instead on insulting the maker by telling him so, they quietly sold it--which would be their prerogative, since it was was a gift.

I dunno anything about the incident described in the original post here, but there are numerous ways a deal between a gun writer and a gunsmith can go sour. I've seen several.

Originally Posted by hanco

Rev may need that link...

DF

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by hanco

Rev may need that link...

DF

It’s a recent ‘Tribute’ gun.

Right, but this is what I was thinking of (fourth paragraph):

As Jack O'Connor himself once wrote, the life of a gun writer can be a somewhat slippery slope. A lot of people want publicity for their products, and hope a gun writer can provide it. This is fine as long as everybody follows some sort of ground rules, but a lot of things can interfere.

Gun writers do get offered or sent a lot of free stuff, though not as much as some readers might believe. That said, I've occasionally been given free guns I never asked for and didn't particularly want. How should that be handled? Some I tested, wrote up, and then sent down the road, usually trading them for some other firearm by the same company.

I've also had gunsmiths offer to make me custom rifles. I always offer to pay or trade for them, but have never found anyone willing to take the full price. Sometimes I get a discount, and sometimes I've been able to insist on paying for the parts or providing an action, but quite often the guy insists it's all on him. (I have ordered custom rifles myself from a couple of companies, and paid for them just like any other customer.)

Getting "free" custom rifles is a mixed blessing. Somebody who offers you a rifle often ends up making a rifle THEY like--which of course means it really isn't your custom rifle. I remember reading in O'Connor's biography about a well-known custom maker sending Jack and Eleanor a fine walnut-stocked 7x57, out of the blue. The rifle turned out to weigh close to nine pounds with scope, which as anybody who's read much O'Connor knows wouldn't be the 7x57 of his dreams. Instead on insulting the maker by telling him so, they quietly sold it--which would be their prerogative, since it was was a gift.

I dunno anything about the incident described in the original post here, but there are numerous ways a deal between a gun writer and a gunsmith can go sour. I've seen several.

Gotcha. I'm at the point where I prefer a rifle closer to 7 lbs scoped and would have zero interest in a 9lb rifle.

I've been selling my custom Mausers and Winchesters and replacing them with Kimber 84L's.

But I digress.
Gotcha. I'm at the point where I prefer a rifle closer to 7 lbs scoped and would have zero interest in a 9lb rifle.

I've been selling my custom Mausers and Winchesters and replacing them with Kimber 84L's.

But I digress.

I understand that. I'm more or less out of the buying mode and into the tweaking mode: how can I make what I have a bit lighter, better balanced, etc. For instance, I have a commercial M98 that has a 24 inch barrel in a No 1 profile, and it shoots great, but the stock is a beast. So instead of just chucking the entire thing, I'm wondering what I can do to put the stock on a diet, lighten the action a little more, mount a lightweight scope, etc. I wouldn't mind hauling it around at 8 pounds but not at almost 9.75.

Anyway, I digress as well. I'm wondering if the rifle on GB just might not be the one JB is referencing.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Contact Information, Ron's Guns Inc. 194 Boston Post Rd. East Lyme, Ct. 06333, 860-739-6805.

An hour ago I was walking around this very gun shop.. Didn’t see the rifle in question though. Driving through there again tomorrow will have to check.
Would like a follow up on that visit.

DF

But I digress.

I understand that. I'm more or less out of the buying mode and into the tweaking mode: how can I make what I have a bit lighter, better balanced, etc. For instance, I have a commercial M98 that has a 24 inch barrel in a No 1 profile, and it shoots great, but the stock is a beast. So instead of just chucking the entire thing, I'm wondering what I can do to put the stock on a diet, lighten the action a little more, mount a lightweight scope, etc. I wouldn't mind hauling it around at 8 pounds but not at almost 9.75.

Anyway, I digress as well. I'm wondering if the rifle on GB just might not be the one JB is referencing.

I’m also trying to stay out of the buying mode and for the most part have been pretty successful. However, I recently stumbled upon Lenard Brownell No. 59 a 1952 M70 barreled action chambered for the 270 Win. and it came home with me. Owning a couple of special guns is good for ones soul.
Originally Posted by Poconojack

But I digress.

I’m also trying to stay out of the buying mode and for the most part have been pretty successful. However, I recently stumbled upon Lenard Brownell No. 59 a 1952 M70 barreled action chambered for the 270 Win. and it came home with me. Owning a couple of special guns is good for ones soul.

Nice one, saw the photos.

Takes a real man on the Fire to talk about owning a .270... grin

But the gun and provenance sorta neutralizes all that.

I had posted my Len Brownell Champlin and Haskins 7RM.

He was one of the great stock makers, did great metal work, too.

And made QD rings. Mine came with a set, you were fortunate enough to find a set.

DF
Originally Posted by Poconojack

But I digress.

Reminds me of the coin collection scene in "Throw Mama From the Train."

They do not have to be valuable to be special... but obviously that would not hurt.
Ron has had a shop in these parts longer than I have lived here. Ive been going to his place an buying stuff for 25+ yrs.
Hes a huge supporter of the 2nd in CT and our local area.
Back in the day he moved a huge number of collectible Winchesters.
He hunted with Very Close Friends of mine, some who have now passed.
That all traded together a lot.
He's the real deal.
Call him and he will tell you what he knows.
I have No knowledge of this gun. But Plan to stop in tonight and see it if I can.

He is Cranky, but you would be to if you fought hard for our rights and lived in CT.
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
Ron has had a shop in these parts longer than I have lived here. Ive been going to his place an buying stuff for 25+ yrs.
Hes a huge supporter of the 2nd in CT and our local area.
Back in the day he moved a huge number of collectible Winchesters.
He hunted with Very Close Friends of mine, some who have now passed.
That all traded together a lot.
He's the real deal.
Call him and he will tell you what he knows.
I have No knowledge of this gun. But Plan to stop in tonight and see it if I can.

He is Cranky, but you would be to if you fought hard for our rights and lived in CT.

Is the entire State of Connecticut anti-gun or is it mostly the NYC bedroom community area around Greenwich driving this?
Hartford, New Haven and Bridgeport control the governor’s race. They overwhelm the rest of the state during most elections. The Republican Party here is an absolute joke, Rinos to the core with few exceptions.
I don't see the value in it regardless if it belonged to Mrs O'Connor or not but I'm not a guy who gives a hoot about who owned something before me. Just because somebody famous owned a particular item doesn't add value IMHO. It won't shoot, drive or look any better because of the previous owner. I had a very nice custom rifle in 7X57 (I called mine a 275 Rigby) built along the lines of a 1930's era Rigby stalking rifle for much less than $7500 and with scope,shells and sling it's right at 8lbs.
I think that owning a firearm that is documented to have belonged to famous gun writer is cool. Someday my "previously owned by fill in the blank" rifles will be more desirable because of the "name" who once owned them. Until then they are just superfluous 22 Varminter, 250-3000, 257 Roberts, 256 Newton, 260, and 7x57 rifles that don't get much attention.
There is a large group of gun owners and sportsman in CT. But they are out voted often. I also believe that many of them are uninformed about what is actually being passed in our state house. We have ZERO support from the primary media sources in the state who run cover for the Bills that are brought and passed that chisel away at our rights.
Its a state with great history of firearms manufacture and outdoor recreation. BUT we are quickly slipping with each bill passed and the new governor seems fine with that path.
GSPfan ,

Maybe it doesn't "add value" to you, but it does to other people--which means such a rifle will generally increase in monetary value.
The same is true of custom rifles made by certain gunsmiths.

Some people also do get "pleasure value" from owning a fine rifle even if it was owned by somebody famous.
I owned for a while, a rifle that had belonged to Colonel Askins. It was a model 70 converted to left hand and chambered in 308 Norma Mag. It was a beautiful rifle, outstanding workmanship, exhibition grade fiddleback maple and crisp, fine checkering. It really was a nice rifle. But it fit me horribly. I found it too heavy and bulky in the stock and the dimensions were off enough that it wasn't a comfortable gun for me to shoot.

I enjoyed having owned a piece with some verifiable history. Ultimately it wasn't a gun I was going to hunt or use so I sold it through Julia Auctions. And did quite well on it. Someone else can now enjoy owning a piece of firearms history. I did take it on one moose camping trip. It sure wasn't much of a moose hunting trip. Not one to be found.

Having some documented history, tying the gun to someone with impact on the firearms industry, has a value that can make a rifle worth more to some folks. That's okay. There are guns out there I'd gladly pay a premium for because they belonged to someone who mentored me through their articles and stories. I might not be able to pay the premium for them but that wouldn't make me desire them any less. Keith's revolvers and rifles are a good example. Though they are well beyond my reach, they are part of 20th century firearms history and I'd happily own one if I could afford it.
Mart,always wondered is you still had that Norma!!! Glad to know what happened to it... The Col. was some guy!!
I discussed the sale of those rifles with Bill Askins, the Col's son. I had contacted him concerning Major Charles Askins, Sr. (his grandfather's) personal 1932 Browning Superposed that I lucked into. Bill is mentioned in the Col's autobiography, Unrepentant Sinner. Bill served with the CIA in Nam, ran a Montagnard army until the fall of Saigon. He took his force into Thailand, commandeered a C-130 and flew as many as he could fit on that plane to safety. Others he put on a commandeered ship, but the Commies eventually caught them.

Bill lives in San Antonio, sells real estate and airplanes. Below is the link to the Shotgunworld thread concerning that old gun. I didn't learn about the provenance until I had gotten it thru a trade with Collectors Firearms in Houston. I did let them know... laugh

Collectors had handled some of the Col's guns. After the Major died, his wife, the Col's mother, sold the guns the Col. had given his Dad. In fact the Col. found out his Dad had died from a friend. Charlie described his mother as a "contentious Irish woman". As his Dad, the Major, was just the opposite, makes one wonder if old Charlie inherited his Mom's disposition. Those two didn't get along, Charlie and his Dad were very close. The Major was a Cavalry officer, fought in the Spanish American War. Bill relates the Major showing him how to handle a saber as a youngster.

The rifles sold thru auction were the ones Bill inherited from his Dad. There was a good number of them, all left handed, in various calibers and rounds. Bill is more into fancy horses, not so much into guns and isn't left handed.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=124719

DF
Because I like the looks of this one.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
What's the story?

DF
I always thought that Eleanor's 7X57MM was a M70
I bought Chub eastman’s blowhole express just because it was his and I had read about that very rifle. Not a custom rifle I would of built but that wasn’t the point. The point was it was Chub’s. I am proud to own that rifle. Steve Timm’s has shared some great stories and history of that rifle. I could see the allure of owning a JOC rifle.
I have a rifle of someone famous (in the gun world), but I could never bring myself to ask him what amounted to... "Could you write me a letter so when you die my gun will be worth more?"
I could tell some stories....
Originally Posted by shootAI
I bought Chub eastman’s blowhole express just because it was his and I had read about that very rifle. Not a custom rifle I would of built but that wasn’t the point. The point was it was Chub’s. I am proud to own that rifle. Steve Timm’s has shared some great stories and history of that rifle. I could see the allure of owning a JOC rifle.

Last year I was sorely tempted to pay premium price for a Pre 64, 70 in 270 W
stocked by Mr. Al Biesen..... it was HARD to pass up. The ONLY reason I didn’t
is my age. Pure/Simple

Jerry
Originally Posted by cas6969
I have a rifle of someone famous (in the gun world), but I could never bring myself to ask him what amounted to... "Could you write me a letter so when you die my gun will be worth more?"

I always ask for a letter to go with the rifle if I purchased the rifle directly from the famous person. No disrespect intended, but if you don't get around to asking while they're alive and retaining some degree of mental acuity its pretty damned hard to ask for a letter when they're senile or dead.
Originally Posted by cas6969

I always ask for a letter.

Ask.

Don’t look at it as a negative, but as a positive to give credit.

I would gladly give you a letter if I was the famous dude.

Famous dude may feel the same.

DF
I don't know much, but I've never heard of a G 33/40 made by FN.
Originally Posted by Jericho
I always thought that Eleanor's 7X57MM was a M70

In their November of 1970 hunt to Iran with Richard Harris, JOC used an M70 in 270, Harris used a borrowed 7x57 and Eleanor used a 7x57 Mauser. It is mentioned in the article 2x. I've always wondered of JOC was referring to a true Mauser rifle or an M70 in 7x57 Mauser. It seems implied in that article that it was a Mauser rifle as in many other articles he names the actual rifle model.

I hope a reader out there can determine the history of that rifle on Gunbroker......could have an interesting story.
Here's what Eldon "Buck" Buckner says about Eleanor's 7x57 in the biography of O'Connor by Robert Anderson. Buck was a long-time friend of the O'Connors and owns several of their rifles:

"In 1951 crack metalsmith Tom Burgess modified a Czech VZ24 Mauser action for O'Connor, fitting a hinged floorplate and 22-inch barrel chambered for the 7x57mm cartridge. Spokane stock maker Russ Leonard then fitted a stock with fleur-de-lis checkering to the barreled action, and Jack had his first 7x57 since he'd traded off the Minar in 1940. Or did he? Eleanor O'Connor tried the little rifle, fell in love with it, and after the stock had been shortened a bit, claimed it as her own. She proceeded to use it on everything from elk to eland for the rest of her hunting career."
I have a custom 7X57 on a Czech VZ24 Mauser action. I guess I have pretty good taste smile It is my favorite caliber.
I remember reading a JOC article or book regarding having Winchester build him a model 70 with a 7x57 Mauser barrel they had left in stock. I think I it was in the fifties.
Here's what Eldon "Buck" Buckner says about Eleanor's 7x57 in the biography of O'Connor by Robert Anderson. Buck was a long-time friend of the O'Connors and owns several of their rifles:

"In 1951 crack metalsmith Tom Burgess modified a Czech VZ24 Mauser action for O'Connor, fitting a hinged floorplate and 22-inch barrel chambered for the 7x57mm cartridge. Spokane stock maker Russ Leonard then fitted a stock with fleur-de-lis checkering to the barreled action, and Jack had his first 7x57 since he'd traded off the Minar in 1940. Or did he? Eleanor O'Connor tried the little rifle, fell in love with it, and after the stock had been shortened a bit, claimed it as her own. She proceeded to use it on everything from elk to eland for the rest of her hunting career."

John I have an article in the 1974 Gun Digest by JOC, that describes the same rifle you are referring to but states it is a VZ33 action, I believe that is the Czech version of the G33/40.

The rifle is question by the op is not Eleanors main rifle... the pic posted by roundoak appears to be the correct rifle... not saying the rifle wasn't owned by the O'connor's.

Originally Posted by StGeorger
I remember reading a JOC article or book regarding having Winchester build him a model 70 with a 7x57 Mauser barrel they had left in stock. I think I it was in the fifties.

I remember reading that as well, pretty sure it was actually the last 7X57 barrel.
[Linked Image]
The rifle pictured in the first post is not the rifle that the O'Connor museum had on display at the Wild Sheep Foundation Reno Convention in January 2017. Elenor's rifle on display at WSF had a straight comb on it (versus the photo from Gunbroker), and was a Mauser action 7x57. I have a picture of me holding it, as well as Jack's M70 .270. They had a few of his dandy sheep on display as well.
Kurt52,
Did you see the pic Roundoak posted on page 5 of this thread and is that the rifle you held?
irfubar,

Roundoak's photo and the photo of me holding Elenor's 7x57 at WSF convention appear to be the same rifle, although opposite sides of the rifle are shown making the wood grain in the stock more difficult to verify as identical. Kurt
Thanks Kurt, I believe Roundoak's pic and the rifle in the article I referenced and the rifle you held is Eleanor's main rifle.
I have read that it was a vz33 and another article/book that said it was a vz24. Either way, beautiful rifle!
I have a hard time believing that Biesen would have built a rifle for Eleanor O'Connor with a Monte Carlo comb, a "Stegall" forend tip, and a steel butt. For these (and other reasons) I doubt like hell that it's her rifle.

FWIW, the rifle that was gifted to Eleanor and soon sold off because it was too heavy was a custom Mauser by Pachmayr in .270.
Originally Posted by Mike_S

An hour ago I was walking around this very gun shop.. Didn’t see the rifle in question though. Driving through there again tomorrow will have to check.

Did you ever get back to Ron's and get the straight story about this rifle?

I’ve been wondering the same thing myself.

He was closed by the time I got there.
GSPfan ,

Maybe it doesn't "add value" to you, but it does to other people--which means such a rifle will generally increase in monetary value.

Some people also do get "pleasure value" from owning a fine rifle even if it was owned by somebody famous.

I will never own a JOC rifle but I do own two rifles once owned by a gentleman named John Barsness. To me they are priceless.
Well, shucks...

Thanks,
Originally Posted by model70man
GSPfan ,

I will never own a JOC rifle but I do own two rifles once owned by a gentleman named John Barsness. To me they are priceless.

Hey I've got one. Don't know if it's worth more because JB owned it , but it sure shoots good. --- Mel 😉
Mel,

Good to hear!

Actually, there are quite a few of my ex-rifles scattered around the U.S.--partly because I don't have the money or (perhaps more importantly) space to keep every one. As a matter of fact, right now am three rifles above my self-imposed limit on centerfire rifles--and have another headed this way. Luckily, however, it's a drilling, so takes up less room than a rifle AND a shotgun....

Plus, quite a few people inquire if a certain rifle I've in an article is for sale--and pretty often they want it more than I do. I even keep a list of particular rifles some people (especially Campfire members) have expressed an interest in if I ever decide to sell.
John:

Dibs on your 7x57! wink
Mike,

Will make a note!
I thought for sure it’d be “Take a number.”
Dibs on Mule Deer's B-29 rifle!

I bought a M70 at Cabelas ......that was owned by Jack O' Conner..

it had his name on it.

BFD
CONGRATS - That's Dandy !!

Jerry
I think that JB and I both have one of those as well. There were only about 400 Tributes and 400 customs made. They are a cut above the other special editions.
As a matter of fact, right now am three rifles above my self-imposed limit on centerfire rifles--and have another headed this way. Luckily, however, it's a drilling, so takes up less room than a rifle AND a shotgun....

Just out of curiosity, what IS your self-imposed limit and centerfire rifles?
Supposedly 50.
Thats barely one safe full smile I keep finding reasons for another one.
Well, that doesn't include all the rifles that are on loan from various manufacturers--or Eileen's rifles. (Or shotguns, rimfire rifles, handguns, muzzleloaders, air rifles, etc. I don't put any limit on those because I don't tend to "over-buy" them, but if I let myself go on centerfire rifles, the house would soon start leaking rifles.)

That said, I am now only one above my self-imposed centerfire rifle limit, having shipped two out to buyers in the last week. However, another one is headed this way...and it's not a loaner from a manufacturer.
I've been bit by the custom bug. Just had a Manlicher in 6.5x55 finished and am starting load development and swore it was the last one. I have a fondness for single shots as well and the smith came up with a Winchester High Wall action. This is a new action from a company out west and for the life of me I don't remember the name but a half round half octagon barrel in 38-55 will be fitted and the whole thing dressed up in a nice piece of English walnut.with the appropriate case coloring of metal to finish it off. By the time this is done I'll have the 6.5x55 dialed in and ready for whatever comes along.
Mule Deer's comment is correct, as are roundoak and irfubar (sorry if I missed anyone else). Here is O'Connor himself in his book, The Big Game Rifle published in 1952:

"As I write this I have just finished sighting and tuning up a beautiful little mountain rifle which was custom made to my specifications. Tom Burgess, East 823 Sinto Avenue, Spokane 13, Washington, did the metal work, fitting a light 22-inch 7mm barrel to Czech VZ-24 action. He altered the bolt handle for low scope mounting, thinned it down to neat and graceful lines and saving a little weight. He streamlined the trigger guard, hinging the floor plate and put a quick release button on the forward part of the guard. He fitted a Dayton-Traister trigger and Sukalle safety, mounted a Weaver K-4 on the Buehler top bridge mount. Russ Lenoard, also of Spokane, made a trim and handsome stock for it, beautifully shaped and needed."

Note that the VZ-24 is a large-ring action, which is what is shown in irfubar and roundoak's posts.

And much later, in the Gun Digest 1974 article "Forty Years with the Little 7mm," he wrote, "Before long my wife latched onto it. I had the stock shortened and a recoil pad installed. This 7x57 has been her favorite rifle ever since." The article also includes a photo of said rifle (see irfubar's post) with the caption, "Mrs. O'Connor's 7x57 Mauser, metalsmithing by Burgess, stock by Russ Leonard. Shown here with Buehler mount and Weaver K4, but it now carries a Leupold 3x."
Sorry to be responding late to this party, but I just came across it. I can't say for certain that the rifle in question did not belong to the O'Connor's, but if it did, it is not one that they used much, if any. I did not see any reference in the ad stating that it was Eleanor's rifle, though I might have missed it.

The photos posted by roundoak show the two rifles that Eleanor used for most of her hunting life. I made both photos when I had the rifles at my house. Buck Buckner brought them by on a visit and allowed me to quickly photograph them. She used the Burgess/Leonard 7x57 for the vast majority of her hunting. The other rifle, a .30-06, was made for her by Len Brownell . She used it on a couple tigers in India and at least one elephant in Africa that I am aware of. She didn't use it often as she thought it was too heavy and kicked too hard.

TT
Guess he re-worded the auction.Maybe Eleanor Roosevelt's or Eleanor Rigby's. laugh
Tom,

Originally the ad did state that it was Eleanor's rifle. Brad O'Connor got wind of it and contacted the seller, who changed the ad.
Thanks John. I was wondering how the rifle and Eleanor got mixed together. By the way, today is Brad's birthday.

TT
Will be seeing him in about 10 days at the O'Connor Center's annual big weekend!
John,

Give Brad and everyone else my regards. I had to turn down my invite once again unfortunately. One of these days I'm going to have to show up at one of the outings or the old crew will think I've croaked.

Have fun.

TT
Maybe Eleanor Rigby once owned it..............
© 24hourcampfire