Home
Posted By: oldguns 6.5 PRC AMMO - 05/25/19
Are there any other manufacturers besides Hornady that will be producing ammo for the 6.5 PRC? Right now it is the ONLY ammo produced for the 6.5 PRC!!!
Posted By: rj112275 Re: 6.5 PRC AMMO - 05/25/19
I think you're correct, Hornady is the only commercial supplier that I know of. That's another reason to reload.
Posted By: Mac284338 Re: 6.5 PRC AMMO - 05/25/19
Yep, thats it. You can wait for another run, reload or I will gladly purchase your once fired brass (PM me with details if you are interested). Mac
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 6.5 PRC AMMO - 05/26/19
Is it hard to find or are you just wanting some variety?

JB's article in the 2019 Hodgdon manual makes it sound nice, though I am well rifled-up at present.
Posted By: oldguns Re: 6.5 PRC AMMO - 05/26/19
Pappy....just wanting some variety....thinking Federal, Barnes, Nosler, Swift and others would be producing 6.5 PRC!
Posted By: CaveTrout Re: 6.5 PRC AMMO - 06/08/19
The factory ammo from Hornady shoots well, but is NOT loaded to the potential of the cartridge. The velocity of both loads are well below that what is listed in their own load data charts! Their load data is admittedly on the warm side..... My rifle is a 24" barreled Fierce Fury and is a genuine .5min shooter with both kinds of factory ammo and my hand loads using the 147gr Eld-M and 140gr Nosler Partitions. Best powders by far for me have been RL-25 and Norma MRP (highly under-rated IMHO) Velocities with both easily exceed 3100 and case life has been very good. Now if only Lapua would make us some brass!
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 6.5 PRC AMMO - 06/08/19
CaveTrout,

Welcome to the Campfire!

Differences in velocity of factory ammo are generally due more to the rifle than the ammo.

Norma MRP is Reloder 22, and is not highly underrated under its other name. Neither RL-25 or 22 is very temperature-resistant, which may or may not matter to you.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 6.5 PRC AMMO - 06/08/19
Originally Posted by oldguns
Pappy....just wanting some variety....thinking Federal, Barnes, Nosler, Swift and others would be producing 6.5 PRC!

They will when they see a dollar in it, just like everyone else. If they already make ammo for the parent round, that might help.
Posted By: CaveTrout Re: 6.5 PRC AMMO - 06/08/19
Thanks John,
I know that RL-22 and 25 are not known for their temp stability, but I just haven't seen the velocity swings to be as large as some shooters see I guess. I have long suspected that MRP and RL-22 were indeed the same powder. I use a lot of both.........
FWIW- I respect your work and style, no BS and lots of Gack!
© 24hourcampfire