Home
Posted By: Rug3 Large Rifle Primer? - 06/26/19
Previously there were warnings about Winchester primers. I'm wondering what primers you like and why.
Thanks
Jim
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/26/19
I like Winchester, Federal, and Remington. I have a lot of CCI, but haven't used them in years.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/26/19
I have been using mostly CCI and Winchester primers with an occasional patch of Federals. I haven't had the problems with Winchester people have mentioned so I keep buying them on sale.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/26/19
I had several misfires with Winchester LRP, Winchester generously re-imbursed me more than I paid for the primers and sent pre-paid packaging for their return. I switched to CCI although I had used Winchester LRP and LPP for 30+ yrs. without any problems.
Posted By: Woodhits Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/26/19
I have and still use nearly all of the available brands, including Winchester. The only primer failures that I've encountered with handholds have been when I experimented with One Shot case lube a few years back.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/26/19
I had been using up the remnants of a brick of CCI Bench Rest 2 when I began getting misfires. 14 misfires in 3 different rifles and I pulled the remaining from primed cases I have. I bought that brick about 10 years ago and I'm down to the last 100. It had served me well until this last year. My Win primers are used up and I'm about to get another brick of something. I never had a problem with Win primers but am wondering what you folks are using.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/26/19
Winchester. New ones are fine.

P
Posted By: Azar Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/26/19
Once the potential issue with some lots of Winchesters came to light I shelved the ones I had and Federal 210's more or less became the first primer grabbed. Although I did start to use CCI 200's more as well. My lot of primers never showed up on the list of affected primers and so I began to use them again.

And like Pharmseller said, the new ones should be fine.
Posted By: RevMike Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/26/19
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

P

^^^^This^^^^
Posted By: 340mag Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/26/19
federal 215 are what Ive used for 4 plus decades with zero issues
Ive never even heard of anyone having issues using them

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/953586171/federal-large-rifle-magnum-primers-215

the only primers I occasionally had hang-fires and duds with were Remington large rifle primers
Originally Posted by RevMike

P

^^^^This^^^^

Seem to be. I made sure mine were recent production, not Obama-era. No issues after several hundred fired.
Posted By: super T Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/26/19
CCI, never an issue. They always have gone bang when they were expected to go bang.
Posted By: lastround Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/26/19
All Winchester back in the day (silver cups). When the new brass cup primers came out, I used them until split cups messed up the bolt face on a couple of my rifles. I buried all my remaining Winchester primers in a bucket of oil too quickly to get anything back from Winchester. (My bad) Since then I’ve used nothing but CCI and Federal. Hopefully, as Pharmseller noted, the new ones are okay.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/26/19
I use CCI, Federal and Winchester, along with some Euro-brands that also work well.
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/26/19
Winchester, CCI and S&B.

It might be difficult to trust a brand that has underperformed in the past. Just remember that every once in a great while, every company has needed to recall one or more of their products. Oops! It has happened to them all. If they were consistently bad, they would be out of business.
Posted By: GhettoSportman Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/26/19
Federal GM match and CCI Br's when I can't find the Federals.
Posted By: hanco Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/26/19
Federal match.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/26/19
CCI 200 and 250 Mag, Federal 210 Match and 215 Mag, Winchester LR and SR, Remington 7-1/2 Benchrest and 9-1/2 Mag.

Only issue I have had is with the CCI 250 Mag in my .460 Wby and using Var-Get and a 400 grain Speer. Kinda hard to concentrate on shooting when you're getting hang fires. I use Federal 210 Match and 215 Mag in the .460 Wby now.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/27/19
Never had a problem with any Winchester primers that I can think of.. Also have lots of CCI & Federal that have been trouble free. Had a bad small pistol primer on a 38 Spl. load about 10 years ago but I'd have to dig out my notes to identify what it was. Now that I think about it maybe it was a Winchester because back then I had a lot of Winchester SP primers.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/27/19
Mostly Federal 210's. I had several misfires with CCI 200's in 2 30-30's and a 45-70 so I've gotten away from them.
Posted By: Highoctane Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/27/19

I have several thousand of the "new" Winchester primers and have shot many hundreds of the "new" ones as well. To date, I have had no issues whatsoever!!!
Posted By: mauserand9mm Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/27/19
CCI normally.

Have used S&B without issue.

Used Winchester a few times but last time had an issue, no never risk using them again. Something wrong with their system if they allow defects to hit the market. With 50,000psi being generated right next to my face, any component errors are unacceptable.
Posted By: vapodog Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/27/19
I have a fairly large supply of CCI primers and use them with great success.....that said.....I've never had a problem associated with bad primers and that goes all the way back to the famous Herter's primers.
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/27/19
I think I have them all. Winchester, Federal, CCI, Remington, Wolf, S&B, RWS, and Magtech are current manufacture that come to mind right now. I have Alcan, Herter's, and a couple other obsolete primers somewhere's too.

I often buy out someone's reloading equipment and usually get a fair number of components to go with. I'll keep the components and sell the rest to offset my investment. I used to get some interesting components but not so much any more. Enough time has gone by that the oldies are gone and what is left is what is currently available.
Posted By: elkchsr Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/27/19
I was given 35k Winchester primers a few years ago so I use Winchester exclusively. All orange and white box. cool
Posted By: mathman Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/27/19
Originally Posted by elkchsr
I was given 35k Winchester primers a few years ago so I use Winchester exclusively. All orange and white box. cool

You're all set, those are from before the troubles.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/27/19
Just ordered a brick of Winchesters.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/28/19
About 1988, I decided that with all of the variables in reloading that have a direct affect on accuracy/velocity, I would choose one primer brand & stay with it. I chose CCI due to reliability & have not deviated since. Fortunately, when there was a primer shortage, CCI was normally easy to find. I have quite a surplus too.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/28/19
So you made it past the big recall in 2004?

P
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/28/19
Good to know so many have found The Primer Answer.

I like to keep various LR primers on hand partly because of possible "panic shortages" (have seen a few over the years) but also because I've often found one particular brand will work better with some handloads. But testing various primers with handloads has apparently gone out of style....
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/28/19
So you made it past the big recall in 2004?

P

If you’re asking me, yes I surely did. Did not even cut into my inventory to the halfway mark. I keep, at least, 8000 in my drawer & another 10,000 on the shelf of all the sizes I use. Scored a case of GM 210’s for a ridiculously low price recently.
Posted By: jwall Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/28/19
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I like to keep various LR primers on hand partly because of possible "panic shortages" (have seen a few over the years) but also because I've often found one particular brand will work better with some handloads. But testing various primers with handloads has apparently gone out of style....

Apparently so !! .... ???

I’ve been following this thread ALL the way waiting.........
and YOU are the only ONE to mention TESTING primers. wow.

I found out years ago that all primers are not the same.
All don’t have the same heat range and therefore all don’t ignite DIFF types of powders
the same.

Also using the SAME components, EXCEPT primers not only does velocity
vary but ACCURACY as well.

AND all primers don’t HOLD the velocity in COLD weather. humm, doesn’t most
Big game hunting happen in COLD weather ??

I guess things have improved in the primer department ! ??

Jerry
Posted By: jwall Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/29/19
ADDENDUM ! !

Wow.... crickets are LOUD. confused

Really ? smirk

Jerry
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/29/19
Many of the threads you post in go that way.
Posted By: Elvis Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/29/19
I use WLR and CCI 200s. I have some Remington LR primers but for some strange reason I never use them for my own handloads. There is no sane reason for this as I've used Rem 7 1/2 primers in my .222 without a single issue for twenty years. I use them for when I load for other people.
Posted By: jwall Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/29/19
Originally Posted by jwall

I’ve been following this thread ALL the way waiting.........
and YOU are the only ONE to mention TESTING primers. wow.

I found out years ago that all primers are not the same.
All don’t have the same heat range and therefore all don’t ignite DIFF types of powders
the same.

Also using the SAME components, EXCEPT primers not only does velocity
vary but ACCURACY as well.

AND all primers don’t HOLD the velocity in COLD weather. humm, doesn’t most
Big game hunting happen in COLD weather ??
Jerry

The Following was posted by Pappy in the " R 26 .270/ 160 temp issue " > thread. He said.....

Originally Posted by Pappy348
In the 2015 Hodgdon manual, Brian Pearce tested a bunch of loads for various rifle and handgun cartridges, varying only the primers. The results often didn't follow expectations; sometimes magnum primers gave lower pressures and velocities than standards, and some combinations where mags are considered "standard", regular primers did just fine. No .270 data there, but a good illustration of the voodoo involved in this business.

Interesting Ain't It !!

Jerry
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/29/19
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Thanks, MD for your posts. My somewhat modest retirement income does tend to cramp my "style" a bit. There's a lot of information available on this forum. Yours I trust to be mostly accurate. You're far more "rifle looney" knowledgable than I. Several others here are usually pretty much right on also.

I began this thread with the question, "I'm wondering what primers you like and why." Reason for the question was I had several misfires with 3 different rifles after recently reloading for them. Not the norm for me and the only component consistent in each rifle was the primes. I no longer shoot 1000+ rounds per year and mostly use my rifles for hunting the brushy Adirondacks. Pinpoint accuracy isn't so much my desire as the rifles going bang is. I'm willing to adapt to whatever minor idiosyncrasies may emerge by various primers if they will fire.

I appreciate the responses.
Thanks
Jim
Posted By: recoiljunky Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/30/19
Weeeeellllll, let's see . . . .

[Linked Image]

Nope, only a lonely box of Winchester 209's. Far right, next to the small pistol primers. Forgot I even had those.

RJ
Posted By: pete53 Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/30/19
i also use Remington,besides Federal ,Winchester ,CCI
Posted By: CascadeJinx Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/30/19
Don't use many pistol primers. I use mostly new Winchester Large Rifle primers and with absolutely no problems!

CJ
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 06/30/19
Used mainly WLRs for years and ran very low of the white box ones, so bought a bunch of the new ones, but the "trouble" surfaced before I used any. Sent them back.

Stocked up mainly with Fed 210, regular and Match when I finally found some, also a brick each of CCI 200 and BR2 for duplicating load data as closely as possible.

I don't doubt that the newer Winchesters are fine, but when the bad ones were discovered I asked a couple of dealers if they'd heard about it, and was told they hadn't, so I figured that some bad lots were likely still on the shelves. With probably all I'll ever need on hand, there's little reason to take a chance on WLRs locally sourced. If I ever decide I need some, I'll buy online from someplace with high turnover.
Posted By: husqvarna Re: Large Rifle Primer? - 07/01/19
Winchester or Federal non-magnum, no problems with either.
© 24hourcampfire