Home
Posted By: 358win shotgun load for coyotes - 10/03/19
What 12 gauge 2 3/4 or 3 inch load would you use for coyotes? I have a box of Rio's 12 gauge 2 3/4 3 3/4 dram 1-1/4 # 6 shot already what do think of this load for coyotes? Estimated range would be 10-20 yards. I was at my mother -in-laws house last week when a coyote walked through her yard, first time seeing a coyote there, She does live out in the woods , but here other houses around so was little surprised to see it may not see one again but would like to be prepared.

Thanks

358win
Posted By: mudhen Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/03/19
I have killed them with most everything from Remington's #6 "Heavy Game" loads up to and including OO buck. I have shot more with #4 buckshot, though, as that is what I usually have in my "home defense" Ithaca Deerslayer.
Posted By: horse1 Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/03/19
Idealy, lead BB's. @ 10-20yds, as a target of opportunity, whatever you happen to have.
Buy a .410!

Sorry.
Posted By: vapodog Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/03/19
At 10-20 yards, I would think #6 to be a minimum size.....horse1 suggestion of lead BBs is much better I would think.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/03/19
Geez, doesn't anybody use claymores for coyotes anymore?
Posted By: texken Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/03/19
we killed them while hunting pheasant, #5 or 6 does the job
At that close range, any bird shot will work.

For real predator work at further ranges, lead 2 up through 4 buck.
Larger shot is a bit better, but not mandatory depending on range. I had success in the past with 20 ga 2-3/4" #3 buck but had no houses other than my own within a mile or three. BB shot would likely work just dandy. 3" shells? Phffft------
https://www.hevishot.com/catalog/dead-coyote/

At 10-20 yards, as others have said, whatever you have.
As the ranges get longer, this stuff is impressive.
Posted By: atse Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/04/19
4 buck is what we use for predator work out of the helicopter on wolves and coyotes. It offers a good combination of shot pattern density and mass for knock down power. There are 27 pellets in a 2 3/4 shell. Combine that with a full choke, and your range should be around 50 yds with a little hold over. BB s so a good job too.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/04/19
A year ago - Was turkey hunting. Sitting against a large Cedar. I called and coyote charged me. First saw him at about 25-30 yds. closing full speed. Up came the 20ga. The red dot hit his face and gun fired. He rolled, kicking, up against my feet. Federal #7 Hevi Shot. This was one of these big Eastern dogs. Largest I've seen. Fresh drawers! Exciting.

Several years ago. Turkey hunting. Had been calling - went quiet for several minutes. Got that weird feeling some one's looking at me. Began looking around. Nothing. Peered around the big maple I was sitting against. Nothing. As I turned back....What did I just see? Looked closer. Two brown eyes materialized looking through brush about 20 feet out. 12ga, tight choke. #6 Winchester turkey loads.
Wonder how long he'd been contemplating me.

I don't recommend 7s or 6s.
Up close, in the face, they have worked. I'd rather have #4 buck or better. At least for these Eastern coydogs.
Jim
Posted By: frogman43 Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/04/19
Originally Posted by atse
4 buck is what we use for predator work out of the helicopter on wolves and coyotes. It offers a good combination of shot pattern density and mass for knock down power. There are 27 pellets in a 2 3/4 shell. Combine that with a full choke, and your range should be around 50 yds with a little hold over. BB s so a good job too.

Same here! I prefer to use #4 Buck in my Benelli while calling Predators, but when I lived in Michigan, they wouldn't allow the use of Buckshot at night. Guess they expected EVERYONE to be a poacher.....so I used lead BB shot when hunting at night.

Time's have changed, and so have their rules, but that would be my choice.

Frog---OUT!
Posted By: shaman Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/04/19
The local dog-control officer recommended the Remington 12 GA 2X6 Duplex Turkey load as the ultimate tool for feral dogs and coyote. He used to send a dumpster of 1,000 lbs worth of dead dog off to be rendered every month.

I've found #4 lead turkey loads to do a very adequate job when the need arose during season. When I'm not hunting turkeys, switch to #2 high-brass lead.
I was coyote hunting a few years ago and we were in pretty heavy cover so I decided to use my shotgun instead of a rifle, I missed a couple fairly easy shots. This really bugged me so the next weekend I went out to pattern my shotgun and find the best shell-choke combination. I was shocked at the results, at 20 yards shooting at a clean 4 foot square sheet of cardboard only 3 pellets hit 😬😳. I tried every choke with similar results this was with 00Buck. I then switched to 4 Buck with a full choke and every pellet hit with a nice tight pattern.
Later that year I did the same test with a different shotgun and had the same results neither my Remington or Browning will shoot 00Buck but they both shoot 4Buck awesome
Posted By: JamesJr Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/04/19
I've killed them turkey hunting, using #5 shot, 3 inch and 3 1/2's. Always had to shoot them more than once, but then I'd say the range that I shot them was at least 25-30 yards, maybe ever more a time or two. If I were going to hunt coyotes with nothing but a shotgun, I'd either find some #2 lead shot, or us #4 Buck.
Posted By: killerv Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/04/19
My only experience is with #6 tungsten during turkey season, @ 40 yards it will drop one. We've also found out on hogs that a rib shot with the same load we'll knock the air out them long enough to get closer and put one in the head.
Another vote for #2 lead, very effective.
Inside of 20 yards a good #4 or #5 turkey load will be fine from a tight choke but I would like #2s even more. Beyond that BB or #4 buck would be fine.

This is all you need to know.....

If I told you how many coyotes I've taken with 4BUCK, you wouldn't believe it.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/04/19
I tried some 12ga 3in Winchester BB loads in a couple of 20in, IC, Rem 870s a while ago, was fairly impressed. Used a 24 in square piece of paper as target, the pattern put almost all the pellets in the 24in paper and was very even. I'd think it would be deadly out to 30 yds, maybe more with right shotgun. Center on a coyote and you'd have holes nose to ass.

Also tried some 2.75 in Rio 4 buck and Win 1 buck same day. Similar results, about a 18- 24 in pattern at 25 yds, just a lot fewer pellets.
Posted By: 358win Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/04/19
Thanks for the replies. I will probably get some # 4 buckshot.

Thanks again and good hunting to all.

358win
Posted By: rickt300 Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/04/19
I have shot a bunch of foxes and coyotes using 1 1/4 ounce of 4 shot with 30 yards being as far as I would shoot.
Posted By: Tejano Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/08/19
TPWD was doing Helio control work on coyotes and they chose TT steel shot, the buffered high speed waterfowl load. I think they have now gone to various heavy shot loads but still use larger shot like BB and upwards. Many of the land owners have a no wounding clause in their release forms. I think TPWD has been fairly successful. Not so on hogs even with thousands taken there is no difference and the costs were extremely high.
I got some of these, just never killed a 'yote. Not cheap, but how many ya gonna shoot, anyway?

Have an H&R 3 1/2" ga. with super tight choke. Those 3" Dead 'Yote shells should get one's attention pretty far out there.

https://www.hevishot.com/catalog/dead-coyote/

DF
Posted By: RIO7 Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/08/19
# 4 is the answer Rio7
I've dropped a lot of coyotes and foxes at good range with 3" HEVI-Shot Dead Coyote.
I always have 3-4 of them in my vest when I'm hunting.
I've heard that they do real well on wolfs in the grouse woods too. But I wouldn't know anything about that...
TSS is the ultimate for long range, but as mentioned #6 or larger will work very well at 20yds.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/08/19
Dirtfarmer ,

Good morning !
I thought hevi-shot was costly until i saw the Apex brand ammo .
Guys on youtube MFK predator calling folks north of you swear by it and always say it cost $12 per shot , but the website shows $49 per 5 rounds , likely shipping cost of coarse . But $10 per shot - I'd expect crazy good performance for that price .

https://apex-ammunition.myshopify.com/

Hevi-shot now seems like a bargain smile , I have had good luck with the #2 shot on coyotes and a couple of coons .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scenarshooter ,

You're WRONG ! I would believe the number of coyotes you've killed with #4 buck ......

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shaman ,

I'd gladly read a story on the feral dog removal via shotgun were you inclined to write it .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myself Rem. 870 express 3'' turkey gun [pistol grip] , 21'' barrel , hs strut extra full choke , winchester black box 3'' #4 buck . Shoots a pattern 26 - 28'' diameter at a lasered 45 yards from the muzzle of the gun . First time i ever patterned a shotgun because i never used one much - it amazed me .

Something i read and tested myself - a dirty barrel can degrade your pattern FAST - as in shot number three it's easy to see the pattern open up and the perfect coverage get spotty . 5 shots pattern is very different from a clean barrel shot . Oily Bore-Snake pulled through the barrel twice - back to great patterns - I always carry the bore-snake when hunting .

I'd take a 60 yard shot with my gun .
Posted By: GregW Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/08/19
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

This. Firmly in the #4 Buck camp for the reasons above. The yellow box 3" is what I've been using for 20 years now. Patterns great. It's a legitimate 60+ yard roll them up load...
Posted By: ol_mike Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/08/19
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

This. Firmly in the #4 Buck camp for the reasons above. The yellow box 3" is what I've been using for 20 years now. Patterns great. It's a legitimate 60+ yard roll them up load...

Who is yellow box - remington ?
Posted By: GregW Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/08/19
Yes...

Sorry...
Posted By: Tejano Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/08/19
The heavy shot is interesting but since there are no restrictions except maybe on a refuge plain old lead magnum or plated should do the trick nicely.

Surprized that Apex recommended #2 shot for deer. I need to give it a try at least once. Using #8 or 9 on turkey looks interesting, makes the 20 gauge a viable option.
Posted By: TheKid Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/08/19
I wonder where it would be legal to shoot deer with #2s. I’ve no doubt you could kill a deer with one, I’ve killed hogs and coyotes with 7 1/2s at close range, but curious as to the legality.
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Dirtfarmer ,

Good morning !
I thought hevi-shot was costly until i saw the Apex brand ammo .
Guys on youtube MFK predator calling folks north of you swear by it and always say it cost $12 per shot , but the website shows $49 per 5 rounds , likely shipping cost of coarse . But $10 per shot - I'd expect crazy good performance for that price .

https://apex-ammunition.myshopify.com/

Hevi-shot now seems like a bargain smile , I have had good luck with the #2 shot on coyotes and a couple of coons .

Scenarshooter ,

You're WRONG ! I would believe the number of coyotes you've killed with #4 buck ......

Shaman ,

I'd gladly read a story on the feral dog removal via shotgun were you inclined to write it .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myself Rem. 870 express 3'' turkey gun [pistol grip] , 21'' barrel , hs strut extra full choke , winchester black box 3'' #4 buck . Shoots a pattern 26 - 28'' diameter at a lasered 45 yards from the muzzle of the gun . First time i ever patterned a shotgun because i never used one much - it amazed me .

Something i read and tested myself - a dirty barrel can degrade your pattern FAST - as in shot number three it's easy to see the pattern open up and the perfect coverage get spotty . 5 shots pattern is very different from a clean barrel shot . Oily Bore-Snake pulled through the barrel twice - back to great patterns - I always carry the bore-snake when hunting .

I'd take a 60 yard shot with my gun .

Just load them and they are much cheaper. Really easy to load. I’ve some size BB in the classifieds. Be glad to teach any of you how to load them. A roll crimp bit and hand drill is all you need for crimps, but I personally prefer GAEP bits and a drill press. You can pretty much double your range compared to lead.
Posted By: MOGC Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/09/19
Old greybeard coyote killers have been rolling them up with 12 gauge No. Four Buck for a very long time. Shotguns can be fickle as a middle school cheerleader, it's vital to pattern the gun and make sure the point of aim and point of impact are one and the same. Look at the center of the pattern for pellet density. Getting a load tuned up with the perfect choke constriction isn't always easy but when you get it right the shotgun is damned deadly on coyotes.
Posted By: 35 Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by 358win
Thanks for the replies. I will probably get some # 4 buckshot.

Thanks again and good hunting to all.

358win

It wouldn`t hurt to check your states reg book for the maximum size shot that you can use.
Posted By: foogle Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/09/19
Lead 4 buck is my choice. About diameter of a 22 bullet. Carries well and penetrates. I believe 41 pellets in a 3 inch .
Posted By: MOGC Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by foogle
Lead 4 buck is my choice. About diameter of a 22 bullet. Carries well and penetrates. I believe 41 pellets in a 3 inch .

About .24 caliber...
Posted By: CWT Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/09/19
#4 buck or hevishot dead coyote.
Posted By: VernAK Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/09/19
Combine that #4 buck with a tight Patternmaster choke tube and you will be amazed.
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/09/19
I have a bunch of 2-3/4" B Hevi-Shot that is dang nasty on coyotes. Otherwise, I'd shoot a lead BB of some sort, or maybe dive into this TSS stuff.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/09/19
Reloader7RM ,

Good morning , thanks but no thanks - Lord knows i've got enough hobbies .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MOGC ,

It was you who inspired me to take up shotgunning predators a long time ago - on PredatorMasters site i believe . Thanks smile .

I've said it before - if i had a shotgun in hand on every calling set - i'd have killed twice as many coyotes as i have in my life .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did some looking on youtube - people patterning shotguns - one interesting tidbit - lead weighs 11.6gr. , hevi-shot weighs 13.3gr. not nearly the weight difference that I would have guessed . Hevi-shot is a little too spendy for that small percentage of performance . TSS on the other hand weighs 18+grs. so that's substancial over lead , and hevi-shot .
One test into gel block hevi-shot penetrated 8'' , lead penetrated 7'' - same load same velocity ammo .

When intentional either of these (4 buck on left):

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: atse Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/09/19
Originally Posted by VernAK
Combine that #4 buck with a tight Patternmaster choke tube and you will be amazed.

I bought a pattern master choke for my benelli thinking it would tighten up my pattern for farther shooting out of the helo
in the timber. At 60 yds the full choke that benelli provided have a tighter pattern than the pattern master. I think this is because the pattern master choke is designed to work off of a regular type wad. In most, if not all 4 buck that I have examined, there isn't much of a wad. More like a thin plastic divider between the powder and shot.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/09/19
atse,

Which proves, once again, that we always need to pattern a particular shotshell load in a particular barrel before coming to any firm conclusions.

Dad had an old JC Higgins bolt-action shotgun he used for coyote hunting for years and years. He always used Winchester SuperX 4 buck, and he could roll them with that old gun, all the way out to 50 yards. He even rolled a couple further out than that, but had to hit them a couple of times to finish them. That old gun had a heckuva pattern, and it held six shots in the tubular magazine.

I can attest that it was no fun to shoot, though, it kicked like a mule, and it was slow to operate. Then again, Dad usually only needed the one shot. That poor old gun was flat-worn-out years ago. The safety didn't work, the magazine tube was held on by a hose clamp, and the bead had gone for a walk somewhere. But my nephew wanted it when Dad passed away, and I let him keep it.
If you want tight patterns through a standard choke, the Federal "Flite Control" wads do really tighten things up.
Posted By: atse Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/10/19
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
atse,

Which proves, once again, that we always need to pattern a particular shotshell load in a particular barrel before coming to any firm conclusions.

I patterned both federal, and Remington shells with similar results. Those are the only 2 brands we use. Do you know of any other brands that use an actual wad with 4 buck? If so I bet the pattern master would work well with it.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/10/19
As a turkey nut for over 40 years, I'm gonna say whatever coarse shot patterns the best from your set-up.

I'm running 2 1/4 oz of copper plated 2's from a BPS 10 ga and coyotes just don't walk away from the front of it. A looooooong way in front of it. Yotes generally hit the dirt so hard they bounce. Have also used #4 buck from same with OK results. BB shot doesn't pattern worth a crap. Go figger… ???

The Winchester Longbeard Turkey loads in lead #4's should hold lots of promise. The pattern VERY tight through the Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike choke tube. And the penetration of the HTL pellets can allow you to go down in shot size while going up in penetration.
Posted By: MOGC Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/11/19
Originally Posted by Yoder409
As a turkey nut for over 40 years, I'm gonna say whatever coarse shot patterns the best from your set-up.

I'm running 2 1/4 oz of copper plated 2's from a BPS 10 ga and coyotes just don't walk away from the front of it. A looooooong way in front of it. Yotes generally hit the dirt so hard they bounce. Have also used #4 buck from same with OK results. BB shot doesn't pattern worth a crap. Go figger… ???

The Winchester Longbeard Turkey loads in lead #4's should hold lots of promise. The pattern VERY tight through the Indian Creek Black Diamond Strike choke tube. And the penetration of the HTL pellets can allow you to go down in shot size while going up in penetration.

The Winchester Longbeard pellets are HTL? What are they made of? It was my understanding they are standard Pb lead composition.
Posted By: pete53 Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/11/19
i have always done well with Federal 3 inch copper plated BB`s.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/12/19
Originally Posted by MOGC

The Winchester Longbeard pellets are HTL? What are they made of? It was my understanding they are standard Pb lead composition.

No. The Longboards are lead. But they pattern so tightly that the #4's can give you a TON of large pellets on a small target at distance. I think they could be quite effective.

No. The Longboards are lead. But they pattern so tightly that the #4's can give you a TON of large pellets on a small target at distance. I think they could be quite effective.
Winchester also makes a coyote/predator specific load with copper plated lead BB's using the same components as the Longbeard turkey loads. I'd bet on those to work better on yotes than the #4 turkey loads.
Posted By: keith Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/12/19
Federal #4 buck, premium in the 3" version is very very good. Remington 3" is in second place. I would not depend on them being as close next time.

Contrary to what the ill informed say on the internet, you want to use a Full choke at a bare minimum, Extra full better, and I use Carlson's turkey chokes. I have been hunting coyotes for 30 years.

Federal makes or used to make 3" Magnum with 1 7/8 oz of BB, they are darn hard to find.

Winchester 3", #4 Buckshot may pattern well in your shotgun, a pattern board tells all, you can use regular newspaper as pattern material taped together. Pattern at 40 yards.

My Carlson patterns 100% in a 20" circle at 40 yards, a tad tighter with 00 and 000 Rem 3" buckshot.

BB and #4 buck is better for coyotes. #2 Lead shot is very effective if you can ever find any left over from the good ole days of shooting geese with it.

Steel shot is NOT the way to go on coyotes, if it all you can find, use a Modified choke with T shot, and aim for their heads.
Posted By: pete53 Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/12/19
killin coyotes isn`t that complicated ,full choke ,12 gauge auto is better on a runnin coyote, we just buy 3 in copper plated lead BB`s box of 25 its cheaper and sometimes you do shoot alot. anything shot size bigger wrecks the hide sometimes kind bad, i hate skin`n coyote hides with guts hangin out from shot with # 4 buck and then have to sew the hide.plus most of the time that hides value is less then too. years ago a old coyote caller i read alot about used a 10 gauge with lead BB`S he called his old auto loader Moose Dick i think his first name was Jerry ? that old coyote callin said any shot bigger than BB`s just wreck hides and he was right too.
Posted By: keith Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/13/19
I have killed many hundreds of coyotes with Ithaca 10ga semi auto(2 1/4 oz of Copper plated bb and 52? count of #4 buck, and 12ga( 42 count of #4 buck and 1 7/8 oz of BB)., Pete I don't recall tearing up hides unless it was a 20 yard shot.

Pete, Federal boxes of 25, 3" copper plated BB's are darn near non existent, old stock only on the shelves.. I have not seen any for 5 years+ which was Federal Premium, buffered.

BB's start gimping up coyotes around 45 yards if not hit in the head, after 45 is where #4 buck really shines.

I found this on LEAD copper plated bb, Hornady has a load but it was not effective my chokes

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017367255/

Pete, I checked Federal web site, does not look like they make our favorite 25 count copper plated bb load anymore in 12 ga, steel only

Posted By: MOGC Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/13/19

Still #4 lead birdshot and it still penetrates like smallish lead birdshot. Sketchy at much over 30-35 yards. Been there and done that. There are so many good coyote loads out there I see no reason to go there.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/13/19
In my experience, coyotes are pretty much like geese: Have seen them killed cleanly at 30 yards with #6 lead shot, But as the range increases the density of the pattern (and shot itself) makes a considerable difference.

But good to know the problem is so complex.
Posted By: Yoder409 Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/13/19

Still #4 lead birdshot and it still penetrates like smallish lead birdshot. Sketchy at much over 30-35 yards. Been there and done that. There are so many good coyote loads out there I see no reason to go there.

#4's ARE on the small side for serious coyote duty. But the Longbeards (properly choked) will put a boatload of them in a small area at distance. I tested all the Longbeard offerings when they first came out. I was getting 55-60 #4's in a 10" circle at 60 yards. I'm not real confident in the PPE of a #4 to break coyote skull bone at 60 yards. But I would add at least 10 yards to your figures with a fair amount of certainty. To clarify...……….. I'm talking SPECIFICALLY about a head/neck shot, here. No way I'd wanna be body shooting yotes with 4's at 45 yards.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/13/19
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
In my experience, coyotes are pretty much like geese: Have seen them killed cleanly at 30 yards with #6 lead shot, But as the range increases the density of the pattern (and shot itself) makes a considerable difference.

But good to know the problem is so complex.

Mule Deer;
Top of the morning to you John, I hope that this Columbus Day long weekend finds you and yours well. I'll add a Happy Thanksgiving to you both too from this side of the medicine line as I know you've traversed that near invisible 5 strand fence a few times! wink

Way, way back in the pre-ethernet days, we had to make do with VHS tapes and good old fashioned experimentation to figure out the vagaries of life.

We'd just started calling coyotes and deer - the deer part was really controversial with some of our fellow hunters as many assured us deer were mute and thus calling absolutely would not/could not work... but that's another story.

Anyway when we'd become reasonably proficient at regularly calling in coyotes, my best buddy and long time hunting partner announced he intended to shoot one with a shotgun - in the name of science of course. Again if faulty memory serves he might have seen some chap doing that on a cable TV show, but maybe that was after too, I can't say at present.

For armament, he chose one of his trusty Cooey 84 single shots, this one a 12 gauge with 3" chamber. We then rifled through our collective supply of 12 gauge shells, which I might add was not particularly unimpressive as we used to hunt ducks, upland game and since I'd always used a Lakefield Mossberg pump for our camping/shoo bear tool there was a selection of various slugs and buckshot.

My opinion was that we should use #4 buck since I'd used it for years at the start of my annual Hunter Safety class shooting a metal 5 gallon bucket of water at 20-25yds - which if one hasn't done that is often rather spectacular and leaves a life long impression on one's students. cool

However since it was his idea and his shotgun, I was outvoted and he chose some 3" steel T size shot, which I must admit patterned really, really well out of the little single shot. Recoil from that load I should add, appeared to this bystander as "sporty" at very least. laugh

So it came to pass that one fine still morning in December I manned the call, of course with my usual coyote rifle - a custom 12lb, 26" heavy barrel .22-.250AI - sitting across my knee ni the event that a coyote might "hang up" too far out for the shotgun and need to be removed before it educated it's fellow dogs about camouflaged bushes that had evil intent.

On this particular morning however, the coyote in question had read the script and came in to what I recall was maybe 25 yards and buddy hit it coming toward us in the center of the chest.

The interesting thing to me while conducting the postmortem findings was that while none of the shot exited, it had broken nearly every bone from the chest rearward. I can only describe it as picking up a skin bag where the structure was gone and even the major leg bones at the top were no longer factory original shape.

While we'd seen that a couple times with chest shots with frangible bullets like the 55gr V-Max or Ballistic Tip which were 3800fps more or less from the .22-.250AI, it was remarkable enough that I clearly recall that detail all these decades later.

Anyway John, since clear memories seem to be remarkable for me anymore, I hope it's okay that I shared it with you and the rest of our fellow 'Fire coyote shooters.

All the best to you on your remaining hunts this fall.

Dwayne
Posted By: MOGC Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/13/19

#4's ARE on the small side for serious coyote duty. But the Longbeards (properly choked) will put a boatload of them in a small area at distance. I tested all the Longbeard offerings when they first came out. I was getting 55-60 #4's in a 10" circle at 60 yards. I'm not real confident in the PPE of a #4 to break coyote skull bone at 60 yards. But I would add at least 10 yards to your figures with a fair amount of certainty. To clarify...……….. I'm talking SPECIFICALLY about a head/neck shot, here. No way I'd wanna be body shooting yotes with 4's at 45 yards.

When I first started shotgunning coyotes I called and killed 12-13 with a tight patterning Remington 870 12 gauge and 3" Federal Premium copper plated # 4's. Mostly head shooting but on some hard chargers it was chest shots. Under 30 yards it usually worked. Occasionally I would need a follow up shot or two. Over 30 yards it got considerably less consistent to include quite a few wounded and lost coyotes. That's when I began researching better options. And there are lots of better options. Number Four Buck won't break the bank and properly choked is head and shoulders above any lead turkey load. The HTL stuff is amazing. A good HTL load from size #2 through BB just shreds coyotes. Again, properly choked and with the increased pellet counts of smaller HTL sizes of shot like the TSS #2's the limiting range factor is only how far can you hold the pattern together effectively. Those pellets penetrate and will consistently break bone at 60-70 yards.
Posted By: Tejano Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/14/19
One thing this thread reminded me of was patterning heavy goose loads, 3 & 3.5" magnum steel, boy did that get old fast, the recoil even with a standing bench and then the tedious counting of pellets.

I ran across a screw in version of the old poly choke at the Cabelas bargain bin, I bought it out of nostalgia and curiosity. It has proved invaluable for testing turkey and other heavy loads. I just dial in the best pattern to get an idea of the optimal constriction and then buy a Carlson or whatever aftermarket choke in that constriction. This usually pans out and saves buying multiple expensive tubes. The Poly Choke actually works in it's own right and several turkeys have been taken with it on the shotgun, I can't imagine it wouldn't work on coyotes too. But the minimizing time at the patterning board made it very worthwhile.
Posted By: erich Re: shotgun load for coyotes - 10/15/19
I'm an avid coyote caller and a gun nut/loonie. My favorite calling guns for brush country is a combo or drilling. My loads are 1 oz of NP BB's in the 2 1/2" 16ga and 1 1/4 oz on the 12ga 2 3/4", while they seem light for coyotes I just use them on the close in stuff as I have the rifle barrel on the same gun. These loads are easy on the gun, the shooters should and hard on the coyotes.

12ga/5.6x50R Magnum

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

12ga/5.6x52R(22 Savage Highpower)

16ga/16ga/6.5x58R Sauer

These are all with the shotgun barrels
© 24hourcampfire