Home
Posted By: Rug3 20ga Shotgun FPS loss? - 11/06/19
I know what to expect in feet per second loss per inch when shortening a rifle barrel but what about a shotgun?

I have a 26 inch 20ga that I'm considering shortening to 20 inches.

What should I expect in FPS loss reducing this barrel length 6 inches? Turkey loads.
Thanks
Jim
Posted By: BullShooter Re: 20ga Shotgun FPS loss? - 11/07/19
Jim-
Here's a link to start your estimating: How To Choose The Best Shotgun Barrel Length

See especially the second section of the article, "Shot Velocity". An estimate in moving from 26" to 20" would be a loss 45 fps with magnum loads. The velocity loss per inch is not a constant, and there are a lot of "it depends" cautions connected with making an estimate.

Are you discarding a fixed choke? Planning on having the shortened barrel re-threaded for your choke tubes? Just curious.

--Bob
Posted By: Rug3 Re: 20ga Shotgun FPS loss? - 11/07/19
Originally Posted by BullShooter
Jim-
Here's a link to start your estimating: How To Choose The Best Shotgun Barrel Length

See especially the second section of the article, "Shot Velocity". An estimate in moving from 26" to 20" would be a loss 45 fps with magnum loads. The velocity loss per inch is not a constant, and there are a lot of "it depends" cautions connected with making an estimate.

Are you discarding a fixed choke? Planning on having the shortened barrel re-threaded for your choke tubes? Just curious.

--Bob

BullShooter
Thanks for the reply and reference. That's helpful.
Not discarding full choke. The shotgun is a single shot TC Encore. The barrel has a choke tube and I'm having the shortened barrel threaded and choked the same. I'm wanting a shorter barrel. My 80yrs and short stature, 5'7", are requiring something easier to navigate brushy terrain. 26" barrel and 2.25 choke is way too much for me.

Thanks
Jim

Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 20ga Shotgun FPS loss? - 11/07/19
"Guessing" about velocity loss in shotshell loads is pretty much useless,because it varies enormously depending on chamber length, forcing cone length and angle, bore diameter, etc. etc.

Plus it doesn't make any significant difference at normal shotgunning ranges, due to the ballistic inefficiency of shot.
Posted By: dan_oz Re: 20ga Shotgun FPS loss? - 11/07/19
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Plus it doesn't make any significant difference at normal shotgunning ranges, due to the ballistic inefficiency of shot.

In terms of killing power, I entirely agree. I have used shotguns with barrels of 20", 22", 24", 26", 27", 28" and 30" in the field, and never noticed any difference in killing power between them, all else being equal.

What you may notice though, is that cutting your barrel back will affect balance, and the way the gun swings, though I guess for a turkey gun that probably isn't much of a consideration. Losing a bit of weight might see it buck a bit more too.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: 20ga Shotgun FPS loss? - 11/07/19
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
"Guessing" about velocity loss in shotshell loads is pretty much useless,because it varies enormously depending on chamber length, forcing cone length and angle, bore diameter, etc. etc.

Thanks John
Without significant velocity loss I'm quite comfortable shortening it. I'm shooting HevyShot so that should also help moderate velocity reduction. Besides, If I can't call that old Tom inside 35 yards I grin and let him go.

Thanks
Jim
© 24hourcampfire