Home
Its a bit cold here(-40F downtown this morning) and I was thinking of what would be the requisite battery of rifles for a rifle loony. I am on the hunt for another Savage 99 300 Savage E model 50s manufacture and I was thinking did I have the right qualifiers. I know there are folks on here that would say TEEEKA in all calibers and be done with it but that doesn't show an appreciation of history or the reb requirements(black rifle) to make one a loony. However, if you have dies, brass and power to reload for more than 40 calibers, then you are automatically a rifle loony. Also if you have either more than 10 rifles in the same caliber or if you make your own rifles( ones that don't suck) you are a rifle loony. Or if you only own 1 high power rifle but its in a weird caliber like 7X64 or 9.3X57 then you are also a rifle loony. I have listed some elements below and you can cut them up the way you like. I am sitting by a hot wood stove burning green wood during the wood stove ban trying to speed up global warming so fire away.

Rimfire- at least one old Remington or Winchester rifle. one marlin or browning lever. and one 10/22.
One companion rifle like a Kimber, Savage 77/22, CZ' that is as big as a big game rifle.
Varmint- one to four small caliber rifles (17 hornet to 220 swift)
two or three bigger coyote or light deer rifles (243-6.5 caliber) rifles.
Light Duty big game- one to two (250-300 to 270 caliber rifles.)
Big Game-(7X57 to 338)
Three rifles with two loaners)
Cruiser rifles( 30-30 to 45-70) - probably leverguns that can come out of the truck or boat.
Big Gun- (350 Rem Mag to 458 Lott) Even if you don't plan to hunt Buf in Africa its always good to have a rifle that could if you won a trip.
Muzzleloader- 50-58 caliber rifle for the past.
Black rifle- an AR15 type rifle to piss off liberals.

A rifle loony should have at least 1 savage 99 of any denomination.
A rifle loony should have at least 1 old winchester lever gun(94s or 92s are given but others are acceptable)
A rifle loony should have at least 1 walking varmint rifle(L461 Vixen)
A rifle loony should have at least 1 varmint rifle(big heavy 22-250 or such)
A rifle loony should have at least 1 243 in some type and heavily resist 6.5 manbun.
A rifle loony should have at least 1 mauser sporter.
A rifle loony should have at least 1 custom rifle.
A rifle loony should have at least 1 remington 700.
A rifle loony should have at least 1 enfield.
A rifle loony should have at least 1 pre64 winchester model 70.
Whats a 'varmit'?
that's a varmint rifle needing a barrel set-back and a refreshed chamber....
Originally Posted by Puddle
that's a varmint rifle needing a barrel set-back and a refreshed chamber....

OK...gotcha...that really IS looneyism! laugh
I do not check all the boxes, but come close.
>>> What rifles and pistols shoot Rifle Loonies own ? MANY ! and sometimes more !
Guy in my shooting club was a plumber in his other life.
Called in by a widow for some issue that drew him into the crawlspace where he found the husbands stash.
Including a fully functional, unregistered BAR.
That may be loony. Or a 2A purist!
Twenty rifles the same make in different calibers or vice versa could just be a collector.
Based on your list, I guess I am very loony. And proud of it!
You're missing several check marks.

At least 3 AI cartridges are required and you must have at least 2 wildcats and 4 rifles that require bullet casting to load.

Keep in mind that being a rifle loony is but a subset of shooting loonyism. You didn't cover shotguns or handguns. Bad dog!
cry cry cry I'm not a rifle looney cry cry cry
I'm getting close.
I'm not sure one can have too many, but I am thinning the herd. I have almost all of the list except a lever action.. Might have to fix that.
Got it covered
Based on the prerequisites I am reading, I am only an “apprentice looney”.

Should hit “journeyman looney” by mid 2020....
Anything but a 6.5 Gaymoor, but I suppose that leaves me out as I don't care to own 700s...
I'm part Loony too!!

Jorge, there is more on the table than a Remington 700.
That list is lacking body and depth....call it Looney Lite.
Looneys can't be pigeonholed. A guy is into what he's into.
I think the .257 Roberts, 6.5x55 and 7x57 should be included in any Looney's battery and probably a 6.5 Creedmoor to keep up with modern times. And maybe a .250 Savage and a couple of more Euro cartridges like 7x64, 6.5x57 etc. And rifle wise, there should be at least one single shot rifle included.
Back when I was writing the back-page for RIFLE magazine, in the September 2004 issue the column was titled "You Might Be A Rifle Loony...." Among the possible symptoms were:

You've seriously debated the differences between the .270 Winchester and .280 Remington--and ended up owning both.

If the only thing better than the latest, newest In-Rifle is a really old rifle.

You spend serious money buying rifles you once owned as a kid.

On a long airplane flight, you pass up the latest paperback best-seller, taking AFRICAN RIFLES AND CARTRIDGES instead.

When cleaning out your shaving kit for the same trip, you discover an ejector assembly for a 98 Mauser.

You reach in your pocket for change, and amid the dimes and quarters find the recovered bullet from a bull elk.

Somebody asks for a good 7x57 load, and you can recite every one you've ever used.

On a Cape buffalo hunt, you take a lever-action .50-110 loaded with black powder and cast bullets, even when you own a perfectly good Winchester Model 70 .375 H&H.

You don't recognize 80 percent of the entertainers listed as getting divorced in PEOPLE magazine, but within three minutes can locate that dog-eared copy of a gun magazine that includes a profile of your favorite hunting cartridge.

Your gun safe is like Heaven: There's always room for one more.

You've owned 27 different models of the Savage 99, but are always on the lookout for more.

You buy 1000 rounds of brass at a gun show and have to buy a rifle to use it.

Your local firearms emporium has your phone number on speed-dial.

The bullet selection in your reloading room exceeds the variety available at the local shooting emporium.

In your mind, a foot-pound never has anything to do with rhythm.

You told your spouse that your latest purchase was an "investment," and either or both of you believed it.
laugh laugh laugh

A lot of that sounds familiar. whistle

Jerry
Originally Posted by Elvis
I think the .257 Roberts, 6.5x55 and 7x57 should be included in any Looney's battery and probably a 6.5 Creedmoor to keep up with modern times. And maybe a .250 Savage and a couple of more Euro cartridges like 7x64, 6.5x57 etc. And rifle wise, there should be at least one single shot rifle included.

Yep. You ain't a loony without a 6.5X55

Jerry
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Your local firearms emporium has your phone number on speed-dial.

At one point, 3 of them did, and another the gun counter people recognized my voice on the phone before I said who was calling. I am trying to slow down a bit. (I didn't say I was succeeding.)

Tom
That's a sign!

I have theoretically slowed down too, Sold quite a few rifles this summer, primarily those I hadn't shot in years--and wasn't likely to, such as my .416 Rigby.

My "rifle bank account swelled--until I bought three in one week, including a 7x57R drilling....

At one point in life I came close, but I've never owned a M99........... blush
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

At one point in life I came close, but I've never owned a M99........... blush

You gotta catch up...... I've had at least 2.

Jerry
If you decide your stable needs cleaning out, do a good job of it, and six months later it is again overflowing- you might qualify..
Originally Posted by kaboku68

A rifle loony should have at least 1 old winchester lever gun(94s or 92s are given but others are acceptable)

A rifle loony should have at least 1 243 in some type and heavily resist 6.5 manbun.

If I have to have one of those..... I'll turn in my loony card.

Jerry
Originally Posted by 458Win
If you decide your stable needs cleaning out, do a good job of it, and six months later it is again overflowing- you might qualify..

Phil... You are definitely in the running for the warden of the asylum!
Phil,

EXACTLY.

But then you and I have sat around fantasizing together....
No, never have held or shot a 99 or a Winchester lever gun.

But I have a Marlin 1894 in 41 mag
and a Henry big boy in 327. Both altered with aftermarket aperture sights
No Creeds of any caliber, but have three 260 Rems.
No Enfields, but there is a Springfield 03 in the back.
A couple wildcats....22-243 AI, and 6-284
You left the Ruger #1 off your list. Every aspiring Looney needs a #1. Mine is 7mm STW.
Oh and 22 LR, yes there is the requisite 10-22. And the looney qualifier is a Rem 572 pump.

Yeah there are handgun loonies as well.
No 9mm, 38, or 357.
But you might find four different Ruger revolvers in 327
and again in 41 mag
It's not the rifles you have, but the rifles you've owned--both in the so-called "real world," and in your mind.
If you have 900 pieces of brass for a .25-20 Win., but only one rifle so chambered....you might be.
Yep! Learned that one....

However, some years ago I bought several boxes of unfired .280 H&H brass, on the off-chance I'd run into an original rifle in good enough shape. But a decade later had not, so sent it along to another rifle loony....
I was coming to my senses for a while...when we knew for sure we were moving to South Carolina I took most of my guns and all my reloading stuff out to my sons in Missouri. I only kept the twelve or fourteen long guns and 25 or 30 handguns I feel is a basic selection. It’s been about six month...I’ve only bought one more gun since arriving here and only have three on the current “must get” list as well as a few “hhmmmm’s”

I can do this....I know I can.

I’ve always felt that every real American male should have one firearm for every year of his age.

that be me
Currently in Colorado, their is an estate of over 2000 firearms being sold off a bit at a time. Over 1300 of them are bolt action rifles. A dealer is selling them for the estate a 10-20 at a time.

That's loonyism......
not any Ruger #1`s in this rifle loony list really ? that`s degrading to a rifle loony
Need another project gun for the winter.
Getting that time again.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A fella with a .40 caliber ML cartridge gun that uses full length .38-55 Win Basic brass might be...
Is it Loony behavior to buy Redding 3 die sets prior to owning the rifles? I’ve done that a couple times, and still don’t have a rifle for one set.
If you own dozens of just one rifle, repair and refinish them, would that be a thing?
Phil,

EXACTLY.

Like two adolescents in their parents basement.
Fortunately Eileen and Rocky were around part of the time to keep us tethered to reality.
Originally Posted by 458Win

Phil... You are definitely in the running for the warden of the asylum!

Inmates running the asylum, what could happen ?
You told your spouse that your latest purchase was an "investment," and either or both of you believed it.

Well, she's not an idiot and I haven't told that particular lie to myself yet.
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus

Well, she's not an idiot and I haven't told that particular lie to myself yet.

Wifey doesn’t count my rifles, I don’t count her shoes.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
If you have 900 pieces of brass for a .25-20 Win., but only one rifle so chambered....you might be.

No 25-20 but does 32-20 count? How about a Model 170 Savage pump based on the writings of Mule Deer?
What about at least a half dozen 30-06’s
does owning 8 nula rifles qualify?
Originally Posted by ilikeguns
does owning 8 nula rifles qualify?

No. That just makes plain sense.
By definition a looney is a deranged soul , so what follows qualifies even is it is imaginary.
Winchester 1895 original .405 Win
Miroku model 1895 .405 Win
Winchester model 1994 - 1950's vintage
Miroku model 1894 takedown
.A early 60's Winchester model 70 , .270 win
Browning B78 25/06 .
Lot's of bits and pieces of old John Browning tinkerings.
Clear as mud....but these things should be qualifiers,imo
I'm still a rifle slut. And a revolver slut. And a muzzleloader slut. And a doublebarreled shotgun slut. I'm loose with 1911s. Can I include the ones I have given to my 3 sons? I might be an official loony then.
This is not a requisite for anyone else but....

If you own & have owned a 700 BDL 8mm Rem Mag for more than 20 yrs. it seems to me you must be a loony !

Even tho I have thot about selling it..... I have decided to keep it. It could ONLY be replaced by someone else's used rifle.
(in factory form)

Jerry
If you don't have a Stevens 44 chambered in .25-20 Single Shot you might not be a true Looney
besides rifles and pistols i own plenty shotguns and use just 3 a Berretta super trap combo,Perazzi combo trap,and a Winchester x3 auto i goose hunt with. but i own atleast a dozen Remington 870`s in different gauges i am not even sure how many ? my wife thinks i am loony too
A couple of months ago I walked out of a gun shop with a box of 6.5x57 cartridges...………………..and I don't even own one!

I just wanted to see what they looked like.
You cannot have too many rifles!
I think I might be a whack job.
Phil,

EXACTLY.

Thats just not right! shocked
If you don't have a Stevens 44 chambered in .25-20 Single Shot you might not be a true Looney

I’ve handled one.
Originally Posted by 222Rem
Is it Loony behavior to buy Redding 3 die sets prior to owning the rifles? I’ve done that a couple times, and still don’t have a rifle for one set.

I don't think that counts an Loony. It seems more like common sense. There is nothing worse than taking a new to me rifle home only to have to wait to gather components up to go and shoot. I had been gathering 348 Winchester components for years and just bought a browning 71 this past summer. I had preliminary hand loads worked up before I had the rifle. Just so I was ready when I finally found the 71 I couldn't walk away from. I am not doing the same thing for 264 WM, 9.3x74, and 405 Winchester. I have very specific rifles in each caliber I am after, but not in a hurry to buy them until I find the right rifle. I doesn't hurt to be prepared though.
Daaaym, I only checked one box in the “rifle looney” list......”walking around” varmint rifle! memtb
I started making half-jacket bullets for my 303 British when I was fifteen years old. This should qualify me as a budding looney at that time. I also had read and re-read Ackleys handbooks and had Dupont ballistic charts on my wall. I refinished my first stock at thirteen.
Over the years, I have owned and used a 6.5 Jap (Type I), a half dozen 45/70's, and 3 different Savage 99's. I have also rechambered a Savage 219 in 30/30 to 30/40 Krag. Speaking of 30/40's, I have, in addition to the Savage, had another half dozen of them. I have owned some 94 Winchesters and have had 30/30's in several different rifles. I currently have hunting rifles in 257 Roberts, 256 Newton, 6.5x55, 7x57, 30/40, 35 whelen, and 45/70, among others. I have at least five 308's, only one 30/06. I do have a Creedmoor but wear a disguise when I shoot it. I own two muzzle loaders and a couple revolvers. I have dies for several cartridges for which I don't have rifles. The stack of magzines and old Gun Digests takes up 25% of the available floor space in the bathroom. Bolt Action Rifles is still exciting reading.
The question is; am I now certifiable as a looney? GD
To be certifiable should include rimfire rifles as well, but it didn't appear in the initial post. Every rifle looney I've ever known has rimfire rifles. I have several but fall short of the initial requirements on centerfires. There's no Savage 99 here; maybe someday. No Winchester lever gun although there's a marlin 30-30 lever and a Henry .22 lever. No walking varminter, but a heavy barrel varminter. Never owned a 243 but always liked them. A Mauser sporter is one of my favorites, ( Mod. 96 Swede in 6.5x55) . No custom rifle, One Rem Mod. 700, Only one Enfield if you count Lee-Enfields, ( there was two until I started downsizing). No pre-64 Mod. 70's. I was surprised that a single shot didn't make the list..... There's a Henry single shot in .308 here. Along with other stuff chambered in .25-06, .257 Weatherby, 7x57, 7mm-08, 8x57, 7.62 x 54R, and an M1-A (.308) and an M-1 Garand (30-06). What are the minimum requirements for certification?
The first rule should be, does every gun show in 200 miles and occasional ones outside that limit. 2nd rule is buy dies for cartridges you don't load for....so you have an excuse to pick up brass and bullets for the same. Rationalize the purchase of the rifle that fits the ammo because after all you all ready have dies, brass and bullets for it. Owning and shooting Shiloh Sharps rifles with black powder and paper patch bullets out of an original style tight chamber for a original Sharps chambering auto qualifies you
" looney " status. Simply believing that your 2nd amendment rights entitles you to all you can afford or want. MB
Buying a rifle cause someone else has one!
How many of you loonies have a rifle chambered for .22 shorts?

C'mon, I can't hear you!
By MD’s definition I’m reasonably safe from the asylum.

By the OP’s I have a foot in the door.

Most mental health professionals would say I have some type of obsessive/compulsive gun buying disorder.

Idk that one has to necessarily have a list of certain rifles to qualify, maybe just some extremes you’ve gone to find that “one”. Like volunteering to go to the grocery store on Christmas Eve Eve because that gun shop that’s reasonably close (let’s say 30 miles) had posted a pic of their racks on Facebook and if you blew it up you were reasonably sure you saw a Model 70 Classic Stainless 30-06 hanging out in the back that looked like it might be a 5 digit serial number when you blew it up even more. But I’ve never done that.
DigitalDan,

I have a .22 short rifle....

We also have two smoothbore .22 rimfires., thanks to what was apparently a special run of Savage Mark 1 single-shot bolt rifles from Whittaker Guns (www.whittakerguns.com), the great gunstore just outside Owensboro, Kentucky. They're very handy for pre-season practice on the giant August grasshoppers endemic to Montana.
I fill most of the OP's criteria...……. Enough to be 85%-90% looney just on the test. But I may get extra credit points........

TWO 5mm Rem Rim Mags
A Flobert
An Iver Johnson in .44XL
Yoder,

Well done!
I would say the two 5mm's deserve some serious bonus points. GD
I had a friend that bought several Echols Legends in different calibers, due to their being the pinnacle of reliability. He then had D'Arcy make him a second, identical Legend in multiple calibers in case the first one broke.

That is ninja level loony.

Having said that, a Legend (or six) is good for a Loony to have.
You should be obligated to own a 220 swift and a Ruger #3 in an obscure caliber.
A rifle loony should have at least 1 savage 99 of any denomination.1926 EG takedown .300 Savage
A rifle loony should have at least 1 old winchester lever gun(94s or 92s are given but others are acceptable)Miroku 1886 .45-70
A rifle loony should have at least 1 walking varmint rifle(L461 Vixen)Parts to build Remage in 7 twist .223, waiting on deer season to end and winter to arrive, going to be 70 degrees Saturday!!--Interarms Mark X .22-250
A rifle loony should have at least 1 varmint rifle(big heavy 22-250 or such)700 SPS Varmint .223
A rifle loony should have at least 1 243 in some type and heavily resist 6.5 manbun.Win Mod 70 Ranger in a Featherweight stock
A rifle loony should have at least 1 mauser sporter.VZ-24 in .35 Whelen only gun I've hunted with this deer season, BRNO barreled action .270, Interarms Mark X .22-250
A rifle loony should have at least 1 custom rifle.Stevens 200 in Mcmillan Mtn Rifle stock in .338-06 done by Roger Ferell
A rifle loony should have at least 1 remington 700.2-3 laying around
A rifle loony should have at least 1 enfield.bought and sold it here on the fire, had to finance another gun need
A rifle loony should have at least 1 pre64 winchester model 70.got a few Mod 70's but all post 64
[/quote]
Originally Posted by greydog

I have 1. Rem 541 (?) in very good condition & accurate.
I had forgotten I have it. blush

Jerry
Just finished my grail 22LR, a BSA Martini International MKIII, traded a very nice Kimber 82G for a Lyman Super Targetspot 20X. I now have my "old school" target 22. It must be a Loony thing, a 16# 22LR? From the range, if I do my thing it will hang with the Annie's. About the only thing I haven't had or do have on the list is a Lever action. Don't even want to start in Pistols. I am sure I would be certifiable.
5.5mm Velo Dog
R2 Lovell and .22 Maximum Lovell
5.6x35R Vierling
.310 Cadet
.297/.250 Rook

Add to them a couple more prosaic "new" factory rifles: Ruger#1 6.5x55 & .250-3000 and a not so new Winchester M54 .30-30 bolt gun (and its little sister M54 .22K-Hornet), and you have a few of my Loony Qualifiers

I have a few "mass market" hunting rifles but they aren't half the fun of the odd-ducks I own.

If that doesn't convince you, let me introduce you to the not one, not two, not three, but four Savage .22 High Powers I cherish.
I would also suggest a long-time rifle loony should have (or have owned) the following scopes:

Pre-internal adjustment B&L's, Lymans, Untertls, Weavers or whatever. Or those older scopes that only have internal elevation adjustments, since the rear mount was expected to adjust windage. Enough OLD K-model Weavers to experience the joys of internal fogging, or uncoated lenses.

They should also have dealt with the off-center mounting holes, whether gunsmithed or factory.

Which is why I love many newer scopes, especially Nightforce, but have enough experience to know the scope is still the weak link in rifle accuracy.....
The Lyman gives a whole new meaning to the term eye relief... If it was anything more than 22LR I would get a black eye every time I shot it.
I would also suggest a long-time rifle loony should have (or have owned) the following scopes:

Pre-internal adjustment B&L's, Lymans, Untertls, Weavers or whatever. Or those older scopes that only have internal elevation adjustments, since the rear mount was expected to adjust windage. Enough OLD K-model Weavers to experience the joys of internal fogging, or uncoated lenses.

They should also have dealt with the off-center mounting holes, whether gunsmithed or factory.

Which is why I love many newer scopes, especially Nightforce, but have enough experience to know the scope is still the weak link in rifle accuracy.....

How about the following I own, and use regularly:

1. two Unertls, soon to be three
2. two Feckers
3. one Litschert
4. one Lyman Targetspot

Fog up in nasty weather? Probably. Less brightness than a 70's vintage Bushnell Banner? Yep. Do I care? Nope, they aren't what any sane nimrod would drag into the deer woods on a December morning either- sunny days at the bench only, which suits me to a T. Look cool (and work just fine) on a 30's-vintage target/varmint rifle? Yep, wouldn't have it any other way.
A real Loony will also have a new rifle built for an obscure cartridge that requires multiple fire-forming and trimming steps to duplicate the performance of a readily available cartridge.

Pre-internal adjustment B&L's, Lymans, Untertls, Weavers or whatever. Or those older scopes that only have internal elevation adjustments, since the rear mount was expected to adjust windage.

Enough OLD K-model Weavers to experience the joys of internal fogging, or uncoated lenses.

Check -
Check -
Check -

PLUS - Old Weaver - NON centered crosshairs. mad mad
Remembered I DO have a Win 94 22 M - Check.

Jerry
I would be bored to tears if relegated to nothing but the kind of stuff you see on the "new" racks in gun shops. It may explain why I drive my pristine 1970 MGBGT every chance I get too. Life is too short...
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

How about the following I own, and use regularly:

1. two Unertls, soon to be three
2. two Feckers
3. one Litschert
4. one Lyman Targetspot

Fog up in nasty weather? Probably. Less brightness than a 70's vintage Bushnell Banner? Yep. Do I care? Nope, they aren't what any sane nimrod would drag into the deer woods on a December morning either- sunny days at the bench only, which suits me to a T. Look cool (and work just fine) on a 30's-vintage target/varmint rifle? Yep, wouldn't have it any other way.

Another selling point regarding these old target scopes- you can swap them around onto different rifles with abandon. I use them on a bunch of different rifles. All you have to do is make a note of the micrometer settings on the windage/elevation turrets and adjust to that when returning it to a rifle and the first shot will be mighty close to where you previously were hitting on the target. They are all adjustable for parallax too, and have focusing via the ocular bell.
Still have my 70 MGB Roadster, original English Minilites and overdrive. Unfortunately it is in my least favorite color Primrose Yellow. Most can't drive a straight stick anymore let alone know what a Chock knob does..
gnoahhh,

Dunno what you'e apparently upset about.

Also own (and use) three older Hensoldt scopes, two 4x, one 6x and one 8x. They all work fine, especially the 8x56, which is the typical German "night scope" of the era, with a 56mm objective and multiple heavy-post reticle.
Those .22 smoothbores are the schizzle. Shot my first clays at Scout camp with one back in '62 and they work well on carpenter bees also, circa '94-95. Ran out of bees quick.

Yeah, I got all the loony scopes too. Had a .297-250 for a spell.

And I've been shooting black powder in my .22 GTC.

Thinking it's about time to invent a .22 short centerfire.
gnoahhh,

Dunno what you'e apparently upset about.

Also own (and use) three older Hensoldt scopes, two 4x, one 6x and one 8x. They all work fine, especially the 8x56, which is the typical German "night scope" of the era, with a 56mm objective and multiple heavy-post reticle.

Oh my, not upset at all! Having fun with the whole thread! The downside to the internet: you can't see the facial expressions of folks you're talking to!
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Still have my 70 MGB Roadster, original English Minilites and overdrive. Unfortunately it is in my least favorite color Primrose Yellow. Most can't drive a straight stick anymore let alone know what a Chock knob does..

Mine has wire wheels, and overdrive also. Mine is also Primrose Yellow, and I like it. The only factory color I don't like was what we called "babysh*t tan". Thinking about either a cross-flow head with 45DCOE Weber, or a supercharger. "Chock" or choke? I could leave the keys in the ignition at a 7-11 and nobody would know how to steal it.
How about the possession and use of kuharsky or stith external adjusted mounts that went with B+L scopes in the 1940s and 1950s?
Yes, Choke knob.. Spell checker got me again. Have an engine sitting waiting to be installed. .90 over, aluminum big valve head, Piper fast road cam, flat side crank and later rods with the balance pads. Haven't decided on the carbs, (something else not well understood anymore) Have the 1 1/2" SU's, 1 3/4" SU's and a DCOE. Also found a Mallory dual point distributor, but don't really see that as an advantage on a 4 banger. Might make 130HP, but in the light weight MBG it should be interesting.
Originally Posted by jwall

Jerry

541 ?? Or 591 ??

541 is a .22 LR. 591 is a 5mm Rem Rim Mag (as well as the 592)
Yeah that’s why the ?

591, 5 mm R Rf M

I didn’t go dig it out. Thnx

Jerry

ps: the 5mm RFM, goes with my 6mm / 7mm / 8mm rifles & 9mm pistol.
That's a sign!

I have theoretically slowed down too, Sold quite a few rifles this summer, primarily those I hadn't shot in years--and wasn't likely to, such as my .416 Rigby.

My "rifle bank account swelled--until I bought three in one week, including a 7x57R drilling....

"7X57R drilling"

You finally turned a corner and are headed in the right direction. BTW, I know of a very good 9.3X74R drilling at a reasonable price. It's a great gun that I once owned. That would get you the essential four drillings.
I propose that someone who has never owned a 9.3 BS be banned from ever achieving status as a 33rd degree Snobbish Rite Loony. This mystical collaboration of two devout and canonized loonies is an absolute prerequisite for ascension to that lofty status.
Those .22 smoothbores are the schizzle. Shot my first clays at Scout camp with one back in '62 and they work well on carpenter bees also, circa '94-95. Ran out of bees quick.

Now there's a thought. Like a 25 auto, or a 32 ACP necked down?

I would bet that a lot of fun could be had with a little break action chambered for a 22-327 magnum loaded with a 40 gr BT over a couple grains of Titegroup.

Speaking of old scopes. I have an interesting old sample of a Weaver V7 with adjustments built into the rear ring mount. But the ocular is loose and wiggles about, which changes the POI every time you brush the ocular with your hand.

I missed six shots at six different mule deer in one day, because every time I pulled the '06 from the saddle scabbard, I would bump the ocular with my thumb. A couple of them were cake shots, prone at less than 300 yds.

Now, that schitt will fug with a young man's confidence.
I can check most box's here but my own brand of madness includes five Sako 22-250's, I have six AR's and AR's ain't really my thing. Two Shiloh Sharps Quigley's a collection of Dakota Predator rifles two of them in 204 Ruger. I collect Sako's, lever guns, a little bit of everything. Don't get me started on handguns. I'm just a sick [bleep]...
Acknowledging that you get weak around good quality guns is the first step in full-blown insanity.
Those darn Weaver scopes. I bought an old steel tubed K3 because it was like new in box on Ebay and I wanted it for a pre war model 70 that was already drilled. During hunting season this year the rear lens let loose and is flopping around in there. I can't see a way to fix it because the rear bell will not unscrew all the way? I thought it would make a good period scope for the rifle but it wasn't durable.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Now there's a thought. Like a 25 auto, or a 32 ACP necked down?

I would bet that a lot of fun could be had with a little break action chambered for a 22-327 magnum loaded with a 40 gr BT over a couple grains of Titegroup.

2d from left is my version of a .22 CB Cap prototype. Kinda in the spirit of that Colibri thing. Need to lengthen the case a bit for a real short version with CF priming. Or shorten the LR version I've been fiddlin' with.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

If it ain't broke it needs fixin'.
I can't believe that idea left you all totally speechless.

Tell me it's not true.

Dan
Acknowledging that you get weak around good quality guns is the first step in full-blown insanity.

Well..... that happened this week ! ! crazy

The problem is, I like it. grin

Jerry
Originally Posted by Yoder409

Jerry

541 ?? Or 591 ??

I have a 541 if that's the single shot! My favorite squirrel rifle,

Mike
Everyone needs at least ten Sako’s!
I respectfully suggest that 10 Sakos in one safe might result in miscommunication due to language barriers. Having the Tower of Bable in your safe is not a good idea.
I'm showing this thread to my wife. She thinks I'm crazy. Ha! You guys are crazy. I only qualify about 90%.

2d from left is my version of a .22 CB Cap prototype. Kinda in the spirit of that Colibri thing. Need to lengthen the case a bit for a real short version with CF priming. Or shorten the LR version I've been fiddlin' with.

Tell me it's not true.

Dan

It 'appears' you may (?) be in the padded room by yourself, being served Xanax ? whistle

grin grin

Jerry

Tell me it's not true.

Dan

It 'appears' you may (?) be in the padded room by yourself, being served Xanax ? whistle

grin grin

Jerry

If that left them speechless.............. wonder what they would do if they were to see the 10-22 Long Rifle CENTER-FIRE actually function...... like we did!!!!

smile

Do we need to be fitted for our white suits??

Sorry for the video quality, used my phone...

There are two shooters, two shots each, phone couldn't handle a longer video...

Can't find the sound for some reason...

But it is a modified 10-22, with centerfire pin strike...

https://i.imgur.com/ciVX3Ld.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/vtdYd0c.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/GZ83eKq.mp4
If you have read to the bottom of this and can mail in two box ends from a five pack of old Kynoch ammo, you request your secret decoder ring.
It's the winter doldrums.

For those of you who just tuned in, here is the latest, unofficial 24 hr poll result.

1. Must still own and use at least three carbureted 22 rimfires. No FI autos.
2. Must still own and use at least two - four on the bore - stick rifles, made before 1950.
3. Must still own and use a rifle or shotgun named after a dead Englishman. e.g. James Purdy
4. Must be unfamiliar with the term "rimless cartridge".
5. Must still own and use three or more iron sighted rifles...and know how to sight them in. One must feature an express sight. The others must have older Wilkes or Parker sights.
6. Must own a Remington rifle with an EtronX trigger.
Some of you may remember Lucian Cary (1886-1971) who wrote the J. M Pyne stories, fictionalized accounts of Harry Pope. Mr. Cary wrote:

"I have been called a gun crank. That is an exaggeration. I would say merely that I am more interested in fine shooting rifles than the average man. I do not go in for collecting guns. I never buy a gun unless I really need it. As a matter of fact, I really only need about a dozen, or possibly fourteen, more guns than I have now."
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
It's the winter doldrums.

For those of you who just tuned in, here is the latest, unofficial 24 hr poll result.

1. Must still own and use at least three carbureted 22 rimfires. No FI autos.
2. Must still own and use at least two - four on the bore - stick rifles, made before 1950.
3. Must still own and use a rifle or shotgun named after a dead Englishman. e.g. James Purdy
4. Must be unfamiliar with the term "rimless cartridge".
5. Must still own and use three or more iron sighted rifles...and know how to sight them in. One must feature an express sight. The others must have older Wilkes or Parker sights.
6. Must own a Remington rifle with an EtronX trigger.

1. Whachu mean by "carbureted"?
2. 1950 is kinda recent production Steve.✔️
3. Like Webley & Scott? Rigby? ✔️
4. I don't get it. They all have rims. The good ones are more obvious.
5. ✔️ Think vernier sights are acceptable.
6. Hey, my fingers can calculate the weight of a feather. Don't need no fancy electric triggers.
Wait, I get it. Not fuel injected, just normal stuff.

2 bolts, 2 single shots, 1 revolver. 10/22's are normally aspirated. ✔️
Wait, I get it. Not fuel injected, just normal stuff.

2 bolts, 2 single shots, 1 revolver. 10/22's are normally aspirated. ✔️

That's right.

I hated being in the deer woods, or worse, on a groundhog hunt, and having to stop to adjust the carbs on my drillings. 2 bbl carbs were the worst! An old friend of mine, now shooting trap at the range in the sky, would curse a blue streak trying to adjust his 4 bbl. I was too scared to shoulder it. I was content to stick with my Savage. It might have been single bbl, but it was a real thumper.

Real looneys own unique and varied firearms. Whether its a 1950s vintage Model 70, or an EtronX aspirated Rem...Rem...Remington (I threw up a little in my mouth typing that), it's all good.

Not all ammunition uses a case. Or rims. Don't forget that terrific idea someone came up with years ago - caseless ammunition. Looneys own stuff like that.

Originally Posted by muffin

Sorry for the video quality, used my phone...

There are two shooters, two shots each, phone couldn't handle a longer video...

Can't find the sound for some reason...

But it is a modified 10-22, with centerfire pin strike...

https://i.imgur.com/ciVX3Ld.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/vtdYd0c.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/GZ83eKq.mp4

I want to see/know more...

cool cool
OK, this is a test. You get a gold plated loony badge if you get thru all of this.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12274426/1
A Looney needs a few Kleinguenthers also
crazy
The short version:

The short version:

"A picture is worth a thousand words." (Or 57 pages of a thread!)
Not sure which is loonier, the guy that suggested making a centerfire 10-22 bolt or the guy that actually did the work on the mill, or the guy that has spent so much time developing the CF 22LR otherwise known as the 22GTC.......

either way my friends are certified LOONS.....

smile

and I wouldn't have it any other way.......
[Linked Image from media2.giphy.com]
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I would be bored to tears if relegated to nothing but the kind of stuff you see on the "new" racks in gun shops. It may explain why I drive my pristine 1970 MGBGT every chance I get too. Life is too short...

Please post video of you climbing, both in and out, of that MG.
Hey, this is a rifle loony discussion, not a medical training affair.
Well I guess I am sadly not a loony. Just married 2 years ago, bought a house, teach school. That is 3 strikes against owning a lot of guns. But I do make sure I carry something different than most hunters, that has to count for something! Savage 340 chambered in 225 Winchester for groundhogs. 260 Rem for deer. 358 Winchester for deer and hopefully hogs this summer.
Its a bit cold here(-40F downtown this morning) and I was thinking of what would be the requisite battery of rifles for a rifle loony. I am on the hunt for another Savage 99 300 Savage E model 50s manufacture and I was thinking did I have the right qualifiers. I know there are folks on here that would say TEEEKA in all calibers and be done with it but that doesn't show an appreciation of history or the reb requirements(black rifle) to make one a loony. However, if you have dies, brass and power to reload for more than 40 calibers, then you are automatically a rifle loony. Also if you have either more than 10 rifles in the same caliber or if you make your own rifles( ones that don't suck) you are a rifle loony. Or if you only own 1 high power rifle but its in a weird caliber like 7X64 or 9.3X57 then you are also a rifle loony. I have listed some elements below and you can cut them up the way you like. I am sitting by a hot wood stove burning green wood during the wood stove ban trying to speed up global warming so fire away.

Rimfire- at least one old Remington or Winchester rifle. one marlin or browning lever. and one 10/22.
One companion rifle like a Kimber, Savage 77/22, CZ' that is as big as a big game rifle.
Varmint- one to four small caliber rifles (17 hornet to 220 swift)
two or three bigger coyote or light deer rifles (243-6.5 caliber) rifles.
Light Duty big game- one to two (250-300 to 270 caliber rifles.)
Big Game-(7X57 to 338)
Three rifles with two loaners)
Cruiser rifles( 30-30 to 45-70) - probably leverguns that can come out of the truck or boat.
Big Gun- (350 Rem Mag to 458 Lott) Even if you don't plan to hunt Buf in Africa its always good to have a rifle that could if you won a trip.
Muzzleloader- 50-58 caliber rifle for the past.
Black rifle- an AR15 type rifle to piss off liberals.

A rifle loony should have at least 1 enfield

Agree on all, but would modify one point to ”A rifle loony should have at least 1 enfield or 1903 Springfield sporter.”
There are evidently several varying denominations of rifle-looneydom.

I think you might be one kind of rifle looney if you own at least one rifle you have to reload for because factory ammo is unavailable, at least in your neighborhood. And you knew that when you bought the rifle.
Well, here's a kind of rifle that is pretty loony--a Sauer drilling with two 16-gauge barrels over a 7x57R rifle barrel.

The 7x57R is the rimmed version of the legendary 7x57 Mauser, and while you can order ammo it's easier to handload, since all you need is standard 7x57 dies, some brass and a different shellholder. The scope is a 1.5-6x Zeiss with a slim-posted German No. 1 reticle, which means you can turn it down to 1.5x and still wingshoot birds if you happen to flush one while hunting big game. (If you're hunting birds, it's a little easier to take off the quick-detachable scope, and if a deer stands up in the pheasant cover, shoot it with the open sights.)

This one's a little lighter than many drillings, 7-1/2 pounds with scope, and 6 pounds 5 ounces with the scope removed.

[Linked Image]
The 7x57R is also known in some circles as the 7mm Ingwe Flanged. Here a more detailed view:

[Linked Image]
Yikes that sounds like fantastic gun!
I was just reminiscing about '16s while looking for ducks this morning....

The 16s are probably more cost effective to reload too.
Oldmanofthe Sea,

Thanks!

Yeah, 16s can be a little cheaper to reload than buy factory. But there's still plenty of relative affordable (and effective)
16-gauge ammo out there. An ounce of shot patterns (and kills) great in a 16, and there's plenty of that out there, for less than exorbitant prices, especially if you buy a case.

The big reason drillings are most commonly in 16 is weight. It's kind of amazing how much less they weigh than 12-gauge drillings. Have owned and hunted with several of both.
Mule Deer........you win. 👍
Dan

No, I don't!

Anybody who develops a practical, accurate version of the centerfire .22 Long Rifle is, in my opinion, the Bull Goose Rifle Loony. (A reference, of course to ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST, both the book and movie.)

Though I do have a couple other drillings, one even perhaps more versatile.....
Soon as I get thru ROTFL I'll think of a gracious response.

Thanks,

Dan
Did you leave out a man licker?
Originally Posted by Jevyod
Well I guess I am sadly not a loony. Just married 2 years ago, bought a house, teach school. That is 3 strikes against owning a lot of guns. But I do make sure I carry something different than most hunters, that has to count for something! Savage 340 chambered in 225 Winchester for groundhogs. 260 Rem for deer. 358 Winchester for deer and hopefully hogs this summer.

Nope Nope and Nope.

As a teacher with a love of guns ,other gun nut parents will fasten themselves to you and will get in on very good deals. You may not start out with a huge gun collection but you are on the start of a very stable career that likely will not be replaced by robots anytime soon. I know many others might have more rifles than I at the age of 51 I think that I am on the right track.

You just have to get your wife interested in rifles and a its a two for one deal. I really don't like MSRs but she does. She owns four ARs and an AR10, plus her wedding rifle(243Winchester), a custom 6.5X55, 1 Ruger 1911, 1 Taurus 44 Mag tracker and 1 SW 642 38 Special that carries around in her purse.

Owning a house means a mortgage but it also means that you can have a safe and eventually a gun room where it is less likely for your guns to be stolen.

I believe that Hanco works for a school district and he could also chime in. My guess is that the only negative you have to deal with as a teacher is working with libtards and I think that there is no saving them.
You should have more than 6 30-06 rifles. 5 or 6 AR's, and when your 6.5 creedmoor collection outnumbers all else, you know you are a true loony....
Well, here's a kind of rifle that is pretty loony--a Sauer drilling with two 16-gauge barrels over a 7x57R rifle barrel.

The 7x57R is the rimmed version of the legendary 7x57 Mauser, and while you can order ammo it's easier to handload, since all you need is standard 7x57 dies, some brass and a different shellholder. The scope is a 1.5-6x Zeiss with a slim-posted German No. 1 reticle, which means you can turn it down to 1.5x and still wingshoot birds if you happen to flush one while hunting big game. (If you're hunting birds, it's a little easier to take off the quick-detachable scope, and if a deer stands up in the pheasant cover, shoot it with the open sights.)

This one's a little lighter than many drillings, 7-1/2 pounds with scope, and 6 pounds 5 ounces with the scope removed.

[Linked Image]

It now seems possible that I am a loony too ;-).

Mine's a Krieghoff, with a dural frame, so it is even a little lighter than yours (6lb even, sans scope). They really can be made up into a trim and handy package, can't they?

Like yours, it is 16/16/7x57, and has a 1.5-6x42 scope (a Nickel, with Nr 4 reticle) on claw mounts. I also have a Hensoldt 6x fitted up for it. I have wingshot birds with the 1.5-6 scope fitted - even shot a bit of trap - and accounted for any number of rabbits, hares, foxes, pigs and deer with it.
Those post war Sauer Durals were strong and light. Keep white grease on the hinge pin, and it'll last forever. You have three great guns in one. The 7X57R with 173-175 gr bullets will smack elk and deer, or craft some 140s for antelope and deer hunting with an excellent scope.

Use it sans scope for a fast handling bird gun. I much prefer 1 ounce 16ga to 1 ounce 20 gauge for uniform patterns.

Use it as a combo gun when you hunt deer or birds and take whatever jumps out if both seasons are open.

I think the wood is Turkish walnut, very attractive. I wish I had it, and you had a better one.

Rates a Two-Cool

cool cool
Originally Posted by Jevyod

There is a definite loony factor to a 340 in 225 Win. It should at least get Honorable Mention.
Dan

No, I don't!

Anybody who develops a practical, accurate version of the centerfire .22 Long Rifle is, in my opinion, the Bull Goose Rifle Loony. (A reference, of course to ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST, both the book and movie.

In the days of my youth I started with a Benjamin 312. Still have it and it still works. The evolution was gradual and then one day LBJ arranged for me to go to war and I was introduced to all manner of interesting gadgets, widgets and arms. It led to acquisitions later on that were quite enjoyable, and rather noisy. I prospered and after a time retired, comfortable with the state of affairs. Wife and I moved to a rural setting that was blissful....until the hogs showed up and started rooting up the yard.

I began to deal with it in my own way but soon the neighbors (mostly yankee immigrants) noticed and asked for my help. And then the state asked for my help and once again I was at war. On their lands they said I could only use .22 rimfire due to their concerns about disrupting the neighborhood. They didn't understand the neighborhood very well, but I didn't say anything. Hundreds of dead pigs and full bellies later, our great land installed a joker from Chicago in the oval office. At that point my drift into the world of loons was a sealed deal and it was clear there was no turning back. I accepted my burdens and responsibility like a man and moved on. It was then that the fellow from Africa/Hawaii/Indonesia began to have significant adverse impact on my life and the lives of countless millions of citizens across the land, and in the frenzy that followed, finding supplies for my pastimes became increasingly difficult.

So I started casting bullets and inventing cartridges, dabbled with black powder and became addicted. I discovered that contrary to conventional wisdom that a fella could in fact hit what he was aiming at with lead and Lord Black. Likewise, it came to my attention that just because a cartridge case said one thing on the headstamp did not mean it couldn't be something else. And if one attached a muffler to such inventions an entirely new dawn presented in Hog Town. Still, my many friends suffered. They could not find components, or in the case of rimfire guns, ammo. I became the local source for their vexing shortage of bullets. One of my associates was sufficiently enchanted that he began making his own BP. It was time to do something for America, something that would give back the blessings it had bestowed upon me. The .22 rf morphed into something immune to political travesty.

And there you have it. Brought to you by the Democrats, plain and simple. I'm crazy, but it's all their fault.

Aim Small,

Dan

Bull Goose Rifle Loony
Florida Chapter

Agree on all, but would modify one point to ”A rifle loony should have at least 1 enfield or 1903 Springfield sporter.”
[/quote]
Would owning 2 Husqvarna 46 rifles in 9.3x57 qualify?
definitely
Delightful thread.
Did somebody say "Springfield sporters'? This one was made by Frank Pachmayr in the 1930s.

[Linked Image]
That's gorgeous. would like to see more pictures and information on that rifle.
Here's a look at the entire rifle. It was originally a .35 Whelen, but sometime later was rechambered to .358 Norma Magnum, probably in the 1960s, when the Whelen was a still a wildcat and the .358 was a factory round. I also suspect the scope, a 2.5x Lyman Alaskan, was added after the original rifle was put together with a Lyman aperture sight, in a Griffin & Howe detachable side-mount. ( Unlike some dual-sight sporters of the day, the scope was NOT mount high enough to aim under it with the irons.) Since the Pachayr company (founded by Franks's father Gus) was in California, they had access to some really good walnut.

I bought it in 2006 from the late Ike Ellis, himself a very fine stockmaker who had a sporting goods store in Idaho Falls--and a collector/dealer in fine rifles and shotguns. It's original ventilated Pachmayr recoil pad was crumbling, so I replaced it with a Pachmayr Decelerator. You'll notice the white-spacers--which were invented by Pachmayr back in the 30s. The spacers of the edony grip cap and forend are made of elephant ivory. I download the .358 to more like a Whelen, and its shoots very well. I have a book on the Pachmayr story, and believe they used Apex barrels, which as I recall were another California company.

[Linked Image]
How about owning an elephant rifle, yet you never plan to hunt elephants..... is that loony?
My Springfield is languishing in some POS plastic butler creek abomination. Someday....
I do not have a savage 99.
This is a fun thread - have enjoyed reading through it!!

Does buying a rifle, chambering unknown but knowing just enough to realize the chambering the gun store has it marked as can’t be right? Bought a Steyr M95 last summer that was customized and marked as a 6.5X54MS - after some research and consultation from known looneys (some from this thread).....determined that it was chambered for 6.5X53R - which was confirmed by a chamber cast (should this also be a requisite?).

May not be a looney yet but should be well on the way😄.

PennDog
Originally Posted by irfubar
How about owning an elephant rifle, yet you never plan to hunt elephants..... is that loony?

Sane....but only to another loony. I’ll probably never see Africa and have a New Haven 416 rem mag they’ll pry from my cold dead hands.
Originally Posted by BeardHunter

Sane....but only to another loony. I’ll probably never see Africa and have a New Haven 416 rem mag they’ll pry from my cold dead hands.

Tell your heirs that I am first in line. laugh

Jerry

It's a matter of semantics. If you have a "squirrel rifle" but shoot other things with it, is it only a squirrel rifle?

Case in point is my truck gun.

We have few elephants in the neighborhood, but many trucks. It will stop a truck, large lizards, buffalo and even foreign hatchbacks, no question about that. Trucks are "Big Game".
DD, that's a beautiful rifle. What cartridge is it chambered for? I'm beginning to believe if your on the Campfire, your a loony. grin Seems most people can pull an esoteric, rare, classy rifle out of the closet. If they can't they have a list and someday they will.
.416 Rigby. It shoots MOA on an average day. Make one heck of a gopher gun, hey?
One of my best friends here has a private 100-yard range where I do a lot of my shooting. It backs up on a steep hillside with lots of rocks sticking out between the sagebrush, bunchgrass and yucca. Was out there one day shooting my .416 Rigby, and he asked if he could try it on a rock. So I handed it over, and several rounds later he said, "That's the best rock rifle I've ever shot!"
It seems to me that to qualify for Looney status there ought to be a Sharps or two and you've bought a revolver because you have a lever gun in the same caliber. And how were flintlocks not included?
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
I do not have a savage 99.

you may need some to keep your life-time card ? i went to 1/2 dozen 99`s just in case and extra Ruger #1`s too
SS336,

Here's a detail of the figure in my Pachmayr Springfield:

[Linked Image]
Pete53,

I used to be a real 99 loony, even owned an 1895 in .30-30, along with take-downs in .22 HP, .250-3000, .300 and .303. But eventually realized the only one I wanted to hunt with was the mid-1950s 99F in .358 Winchester I inherited from one of my hunting mentors, so sold the rest....
Thanks JB for taking the time to post that information and pictures of your Pachmayr Springfield. Truly a great rifle, ivory spacers,wow! That checkering is really special, never seen anything like it. Great rifle, thanks again.
My pleasure. Glad you like it!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The 50CB wildcat I created was based on 50-56 brass.
It was to make a legal big game rifle with the sound of BB gun.
To do this it has fast powder, a large bore diameter, long barrel, and small compressed powder charge for high peak pressure and maximum expansion ratio.
I made my own dies.
I worked up to the threshold of supersonic gas escapement.
I had a problem of gas leaking around the bullet. I then used two presses in series to swage a bullet into the cartridge in shape that would seal the chamber.
I worked up to the threshold of supersonic escapement gas [when it sounds like a firearm, not a BB gun].
I added an unrifled tube to the muzzle with 0.500" inside diameter. This extension allowed for more gas expansion and higher quiet velocities.

50CB tests today: 6-26-2012
1) 0.9 gr Red Dot 186 gr .500" round soft lead ball squished 184 fps, sounds like a pellet gun
2) 0.5 gr Red Dot, 184 fps, chrono did not trip, sounded like a BB gun, bullet stuck near muzzle.
3) 0.9 gr Red Dot, WLP, 244 fps, Sounds like a pellet gun,
4) 1.2 gr Red Dot WLP, 244 fps, chono did not tip, sounds like a BB gun, bullet stuck near end of tube
5) 1.2 gr Red Dot, WLP, wax on bullet and in bore 343 fps, sounds like a very loud pellet gun. Bullet has been hitting a tree in the bushes, and that is where all that noise is coming from
6) 1.5 gr Red Dot, WLP, wax on bullet, shoot at air 495 fps, sounds like a pellet gun
7) 2.0 gr Red Dot, WLP, wax on bullet, shoot at air 606 fps, sounds like a pellet gun
8) 2.3 gr Red Dot, WLP, wax, air 627 fps, sounds like a pellet gun, gun came unhinged, bent extender tube
9) 2.8 gr Red Dot, WLP, wax, air, extra powder taking up space causing bullet to be over squished 716 fps, sounded like a snappy pellet gun
10) 2.8 gr Red Dot, WLP, wax, air, adjusted doubled ended double press die 798 fps, sounds like a loud pellet gun

This is 264 foot pounds.
Considerably more than the other pellet guns in this house. It is amazing what you can do with a 62" barrel and compressed pistol powder.

How does it group at 50? Have you tried sizing the ball and paper patching?

Did that with a .44 mag some years ago, worked quite well. 2 ball loads were the schizzle.
Dan,
I don't remember doing anything. I probably never shot a target. Just over a chrono and listened, If it is not in a range report on my computer, it is lost.
Well, then you are DEFINITELY loony!
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Dan,
I don't remember doing anything. I probably never shot a target. Just over a chrono and listened, If it is not in a range report on my computer, it is lost.

Well, you're still a high ranking official in the Loony Kingdom. laugh

That double press thing was awesome!
Did I hear "Springfield Sporter"? This one was made at the Springfield Armory itself. Called the "NRA Sporter" but known officially as "Rifle, U.S. Caliber .30, Model 1903, Sporting Type, star gauged, fitted with Lyman 48 receiver sight". Only 4946 were built between 1924 and 1938. (Sales officially ended in 1932 but a few extra were built over the next 6 years, mainly as trophy rifles for dignitaries and winners of major shooting events.) Built to fulfill a demand for a quality sporting rifle, of which there were few such factory bolt guns in 1924, it was sold to civilians via the NRA and to commissioned military officers. It was discontinued when the Ordnance Department took flak for competing with commercial makers (after the advent of the Winchester 54 and Remington 30). A similar scenario today would be if the government sold match grade AR's, by mail with no background check, to NRA members only....

There were claims at the time that the Sporters could outshoot the National Match '03's, due to its less restrictive stock even though they both used star gauged barrels. I don't know about that, but this one will deliver accuracy that hovers close to MOA. And it ain't for sale!

Damn! I had a chance to buy one of those a couple-three years ago, but hesitated to do some research on whether it might be a good fake.

Turned out it wasn't, but somebody else grabbed it....
I bought the rifle for what it is, not the story behind it, but the backstory is pretty cool. It purportedly was purchased by an Alaskan who used it on his regular forays to Kodiak Island in the 30's-40's. In more recent years it passed through the hands of Michael Petrov, noted collector/researcher of pre-war custom sporting rifles. It's serial number got a hit in the Springfield Research Service list of verifiable Sporters, National Match, and other specialty rifles.
Cool rifle gnoahhh!!
Originally Posted by Elvis

Yep. You ain't a loony without a 6.5X55

Jerry

Qualifies on both counts. 6.5x55.

SWEET # 1

I’ve had 2-3 #1s but never could my hands on that model.

Jerry
Any one of Winchester Models 53, 55, or 65.

Or maybe a Remington Model 14 1/2.

0.224" - Marlin 336 in 219 Zipper
0.243" - Winchester Lee Sporter in 6mm Lee Navy
0.257" - Marlin 1893 in 25-36 Marlin
0.264" - 1st Model Newton in 256 Newton

EDIT: While I once owned a Winchester Lee Sporter in 6mm Lee Navy, I never had occasion to shoot it and I'm not sure that the bore diameter was 0.242", 0.243", or 0.244".
So now I’m looking for a nice hunk of walnut for my Springfield, a 45 colt Indian rifle of some flavor, and a #1 or Dakota 10. All of which I wanted before but the urge passed like a fart in a windstorm. Damn this place.
I've known a loony or two, who fortunately don't own any firearms.
Originally Posted by doubletap
I've known a loony or two, who fortunately don't own any firearms.

Women??????
Pete53,

I used to be a real 99 loony, even owned an 1895 in .30-30, along with take-downs in .22 HP, .250-3000, .300 and .303. But eventually realized the only one I wanted to hunt with was the mid-1950s 99F in .358 Winchester I inherited from one of my hunting mentors, so sold the rest....

I still have my .358W. Haven’t hunted with it for years. That changes in spring bear.

It's a matter of semantics. If you have a "squirrel rifle" but shoot other things with it, is it only a squirrel rifle?

Case in point is my truck gun.

We have few elephants in the neighborhood, but many trucks. It will stop a truck, large lizards, buffalo and even foreign hatchbacks, no question about that. Trucks are "Big Game".

I used to shoot gophers here on Gopher Broke Farm with my 416 Rigby with 350 gr Speer varmint bullets, but as I got older and more recoil conscious I sold the Rigby and scaled back to my FN/Sako 375 Wby and 270gr gopher/coyote pills. That's virtually perfectly hand basket weave checkering, not everyone's cup of tea, but up close look and it becomes pretty nice. It has a VX III 2.5-8 on it now and one standing/one folding.

I no longer have a use for it, but the Loony in me won't let go.

That woven checkering is fantastic!
No jackrabbits where you live?
and already has ammo for rifles he may eventually own.
Yeh, I got a box of .25-35 Win. and a couple of 8 Mouser. Tick-tock-tick-tock....
I have always looked for a Remington Pump Rifle in 35 Whelen with the basketweave checkering. It would just seem right. I think I saw one when I was about 12 or 13 and always have kept that one the que as a possible rifle.
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Originally Posted by Yoder409

Jerry

541 ?? Or 591 ??

I have a 541 if that's the single shot! My favorite squirrel rifle,

Mike

580 for me dug it out of the safe and plan on tuning up a few squirrels next weekend

Mike
Originally Posted by doubletap
No jackrabbits where you live?

Too big here. They're like shooting the neighbor's cattle...no challenge.

Damn I just realized! I’m down to 9 flintlocks!!!
What a great thread!!

I cannot hold a candle to what has been shared here, but do like to hunt with early '50's firearms. I often hunt deer with a pair of 722 Remingtons in .300 Savage along with a pre-64 M70 .270 featherweight and a FN custom in .257 Roberts. I have passed my first rifle, a Remington 760 in .300 Savage as well as my Dad's 99, also in .300 Savage, to my son. He also has several FN's from the '50's as does his sister. As far as shotguns, I do my hunting with four 16 gauge 870 Wingmasters. Two are first year production with serial numbered barrels matching the receiver numbers, one full choke and the other a modified. The other two shotguns have IC barrels. My son has my Dad's 870 he bought new in '53 as well as another IC deluxe the same age.

I built a pair of 1-8" twist .220 Swifts on M70 short actions to compliment the Ruger No. 1 in .220 Swift I have. All three are excellent shooting rifles.
Originally Posted by mmgravy
What a great thread!!

I cannot hold a candle to what has been shared here, but do like to hunt with early '50's firearms. I often hunt deer with a pair of 722 Remingtons in .300 Savage along with a pre-64 M70 .270 featherweight and a FN custom in .257 Roberts. I have passed my first rifle, a Remington 760 in .300 Savage as well as my Dad's 99, also in .300 Savage, to my son. He also has several FN's from the '50's as does his sister. As far as shotguns, I do my hunting with four 16 gauge 870 Wingmasters. Two are first year production with serial numbered barrels matching the receiver numbers, one full choke and the other a modified. The other two shotguns have IC barrels. My son has my Dad's 870 he bought new in '53 as well as another IC deluxe the same age.

I built a pair of 1-8" twist .220 Swifts on M70 short actions to compliment the Ruger No. 1 in .220 Swift I have. All three are excellent shooting rifles.

Are you complaining or bragging? wink

That's a nice bunch of rifles. cool
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

What happened? You trade a couple for a wheel lock?
Matchlock. That or a petard for the big bang.

What happened? You trade a couple for a wheel lock?

No I think they converted themselves to percussion! 🤣
Well, percussion ain't all that bad.

Well there are two pill locks out in the shop. No tellin’ what they do in the dark.

Very nice Dan!

Very nice indeed!
Pete53,

> SO YOU BORED WITH THAT 99 358 Win ?
Originally Posted by pete53
Pete53,

> SO YOU BORED WITH THAT 99 358 Win ?

You wanna sell that 99 F ?? My 358F needs a partner!!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]temporary picture sharing
I could never get excited by the Model 99. Never did anything for me. There is a niche for fellows like me tho. I decline them so the fellows who really appreciate them can stack em up in their gun rooms! See? A win,win.

I passed up scores of em while I was working at the shop.
I could never get excited by the Model 99. Never did anything for me. There is a niche for fellows like me tho. I decline them so the fellows who really appreciate them can stack em up in their gun rooms! See? A win,win.

I passed up scores of em while I was working at the shop.

Everybody can have my share of the 99's as well. Too ugly for me and the action too choppy. I did own one in the past. Don't need another for anything.
It doesn't require a lot of rifles to reach Looney status. I have a couple of friends who only own a big-game rifle and a 22 l.r. and they are both Loonies - they can quote facts about practically every rifle that is or has been available. Neither of them has a desire to own a lot of rifles but they are definitely into them to the point of being Loonies.

drover
Originally Posted by drover
It doesn't require a lot of rifles to reach Looney status. I have a couple of friends who only own a big-game rifle and a 22 l.r. and they are both Loonies - they can quote facts about practically every rifle that is or has been available. Neither of them has a desire to own a lot of rifles but they are definitely into them to the point of being Loonies.

drover

I understand that. I'd rather talk rifles/cartridges with someone who knows and understands what's what than

someone who owns a dozen rifles but is a ballistic baboon. I actually personally know more 'baboons' than hunters who are informed.

Yrs ago I moved into a new community to me and got acquainted with a guy who became a close personal and hunting friend.
After a little while he told his wife....."Now I have someone that I can talk guns with."
Sadly, he died 2 yrs. ago. I miss him.

Jerry

Someone throw this poor man a life ring! shocked
Gadzooks!
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Someone throw this poor man a life ring! shocked

Thanks!!! I’m thinking I might make it now!!! 😁
New guy here & have been reading this thread & thinking I might be in the early stages of
becoming a rifle loony. Made a up a list of what I have on hand & hoping you guys might
can tell just how badly afflicted I am. Is there a cure ?

M77 SS RSI 250 Sav Lipseys
No1 RSI 7x57
M77 275 Rigby African
Marlin 336 375W
HVA M46 9.3x57
1885 45-70
77/22 
CZ455 Full Stock

and most recently a sporterized Norwegian Krag 6.5x55.
I,m pretty sure i qualify! grin
Originally Posted by Loggah

You sir are another level...... wink
I have a rifle chambered in 6.5 Remington Magnum, not a Creed, but it qualifies me, I think.

Uh, yeah.
Does a Husky in 7X57 AI get my foot in the door?

It has been my favorite antelope rifle for 25 years.
Originally Posted by b_lidd
New guy here & have been reading this thread & thinking I might be in the early stages of
becoming a rifle loony. Made a up a list of what I have on hand & hoping you guys might
can tell just how badly afflicted I am. Is there a cure ?

M77 SS RSI 250 Sav Lipseys
No1 RSI 7x57
M77 275 Rigby African
Marlin 336 375W
*** HVA M46 9.3x57 ***
1885 45-70
77/22 
CZ455 Full Stock

and most recently a sporterized Norwegian Krag 6.5x55.

First off: Welcome to the 'fire'. If you've read enuff you know to GET a flame suit. Every body gets FLAMED now n again. grin

I'm far from the oldest member here but IMO that list gets you.....

into the Front Foyer ! whistle

That 9.3x57 intrigues me. cool I have FMD (fading memory disorder) but I'm not sure I've seen that one ? ?
IF it's not off of the 8X57 I would not have clue.

Jerry

OK we now know your a “classic lever action” Looney-Master.....we need to see the rows of bolts, pumps and semis (all classics of course) to qualify as an “all around” Looney😄......plus I just want to see the other classics that you must have!!! Man I’m still having dreams about that room😁

PennDog

That 9.3x57 intrigues me. cool I have FMD (fading memory disorder) but I'm not sure I've seen that one ? ?

Jerry

Hello Jerry, thanks for the welcome !! Your right, the 9.3x57 is a necked up 8x57, one pass process. Only load I've
tried so far is a 286 gr bullet with H4895 at around 2000 fps. Thumper for sure !!

https://simpsonltd.com/husqvarna-model-46-c44016/

Jerry

Hello Jerry, thanks for the welcome !! Your right, the 9.3x57 is a necked up 8x57, one pass process. Only load I've
tried so far is a 286 gr bullet with H4895 at around 2000 fps. Thumper for sure !!

It's a very old round from around 1900 and was factory loaded. It's a good round, IMO, and it's appropriate to the 95 & 96 Mausers. H4895 and IMR 30-31 are both good powders for it. The traditional bullet is the 286gr RN. As the poster says, it's a thumper.

cool

Jerry

It's a very old round from around 1900 and was factory loaded. It's a good round, IMO, and it's appropriate to the 95 & 96 Mausers. H4895 and IMR 30-31 are both good powders for it. The traditional bullet is the 286gr RN. As the poster says, it's a thumper.

cool

I've got a 9.3x57 Swede that I love to shoot and hunt with..
Got a 357 mag Timberwolf. Kinda rare. Good shooter.
9.3 x 57 is a good hog thumper. 270 Speer hot-cor

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

cool

Thnx Guys. I honestly don’t remember if I’ve heard of that round and if I did
I probably didn’t know what it was.

See...I’m not that old. whistle

Jerry
9.3 x 57 is a good hog thumper. 270 Speer hot-cor

Ok, now they’re coming outta the woodwork. grin

Jerry

cool

Thnx Guys. I honestly don’t remember if I’ve heard of that round and if I did
I probably didn’t know what it was.

See...I’m not that old. whistle

Jerry

Probably not old enough, no.

Some of us here read the early reviews in Guns and Ammo when it first came out in 1899. The gun writers panned it at first, but by 1902 it had gained a good reputation for squirrels and red stag. That's when I got my first of many.

Honest
"potato kaster" is a definite element for loony status. 303 is a requirement of Canucks. You can't be Canadian without a 303.
Well i had to update a few pictures, just so i could be in this club,and not just a levergun snob !!!! grin grin

[Linked Image from pbase.com]

I'm confused. Are there no more rifles for sale because Loggah bought them all, or is that done with mirrors. shocked
Naw, he's fixin' to get ready to buy a few missing pieces to round out the collection.

From me. laugh
Doesn't take me long to walk thru a gun show around here,then i usually come home empty handed ! smile
I looked with great diligence at your collection and saw at least one vacancy. It looks like this:

Diopter sight...

.17 caliber BB gun with RF ignition....offhand @ 50'

By Paul Neubrand back before the Great War

Not just once, but twice!

It is a falling block with two triggers. One actually cocks the action, the second....breath on it...I dare ya....
Dan,

Now you have me lusting for something like that--and unfortunately, I know somebody who has a few and is starting to sell off some of his collection....

Here's one of mine acquired a few months ago, a "second Allin conversion" .50-70 trapdoor, a Model 1866 where the breechblock is stamped 1866, so was "first-year production." It has been beat up some outside (not unexpected for a 150+ year-old military rifle), but the bore is pretty shiny. It shoots more than OK for an open-sighted rifle driven by a semi-geezer. Have it on the buffalo background because some historians believe .50-70 trapdoors might have accounted for more 19th-century bison than any of the famous commercial rifles. In fact, I might just do another buffalo ranch-hunt with it.

[Linked Image]
Digital Dan, I have a Remington Nylon 66 in .22 short. Lots of fun but I forget why I even bought it about 1974. Getting old I guess. Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Got's me a pre-64 Mod. 70 Featherweight 30-06 and a Husky 1640 Lite 30-06. I could easily of stopped there and killed any thing in Alaska and most of the world with it. Got most of the others with a couple more thrown in for luck. Don't need a walking around heavy barreled varmint rifle, except for the two legged varmints Alaska does not have a problem with varmints.

That 6.5 Creedmoor is fun to me. Gots me a big 24" stainless CTR with a big FFP mil scope and everyone shoots it good. It is a fun range gun. Got it's little brother in a T3X Superlite. If I'm under 300 yards it will kill any moose in Alaska. Got a custom Mod. 70 Win. 338 that shoots little groups with any Barnes X bullet I have fed it. Got me a Mod. 94 Big Bore .356 and one in .44 mag. and a customized Marlin 1895 in 45-70.

Every good Alaskan has a 30-06 and usually a little bigger bolt gun and many have a 45-70 and a .44 mag hand gun. AR's, who don't have one besides the Brits and any country that still clings to their disarm the people mentality. Don't come crying to America when you realize you should of kept your guns knuckle heads.
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
Digital Dan, I have a Remington Nylon 66 in .22 short. Lots of fun but I forget why I even bought it about 1974. Getting old I guess. Be Well, Rustyzipper.

The .22 short was the Creedmoor of it's day, maybe 100-120 years ago. I kinda like shootin' the first cartridge invented here in America. Pigs hate it though...

Gotta guess your 66 is worth some jingle if in good shape.
For me the end game is a waffenfabrik mauser oberndorf 9.3x62 fitted with a oigee luxor 3x scope from Berlin. Both being from the 1920's.
These were the rifles that pushed a steady flow of gunsmiths from the United States into Germany to learn the fine gun making trade.

The original dangerous game bolt action.

Generally bored handling almost every bolt action in existance, this is the original by which all were a rip-off of.

Felt a tinge of excitement. Then had to by a dmn $187 dollar John Speed Mauser book, just to figure how serious of a find I had in my possession.
I have a couple early mausers in 9.3 x 62, heres my 1912 Emil Kerner.

I have a couple early mausers in 9.3 x 62, heres my 1912 Emil Kerner.

Loggah, very nice. How did you happen upon that? How does that German glass shoot? In all my reading of Keith, o connor and Whelen, nobody really mentioned these originals in any detail. It's a bad boy rifle, the beginning. You can wade and sift through a million different rip-offs and many texts written by American legends about American and English bolt rifles. Every time, the path will lead to the origins of that rifle right there.

If you got that thing to Africa to the right buyer, it would pay for three or four vacations. But.....id just keep it.
Ive only shot it a few times and its right on at 50 yds. the scope is a 3 power with a pointed post,cant rember the name,or pronounce it.With this round i never understood why we needed 35 whelen? my other early mauser was originally a 9.3 x57 and someone re-chambered it to 9.3 x 62 it also shoots very well.
OK Loggah.....new you had to have more than levers😉. Is that museum open to the public - words simply cannot qualify that level of loonyism (is that even a word😄).......but I am in awe!!!

PennDog
My po-boy 9.3 x 62. Original Husqvarna 146 in 9.3 x 57 I rechambered one slow day at the shop.

October 2010. Second rifle Colo.

Loggah! That Mauser rocks!!!!!
If you're as bored as me with the proliferation of plastic throwaway trash, here's the remedy:

Load up in a canoe, travel a hundred miles or more to a moose pasture where no one can raft to, or land a bush plane to.

Call in a massive bull moose. Pull up with a brass german scope using vintage German or British 9.3 ammo. Then....you have lived.

It's an invitation Loggah. Don't fear a scratch or a rust spot....
Dan,

Now you have me lusting for something like that--and unfortunately, I know somebody who has a few and is starting to sell off some of his collection....

Here's one of mine acquired a few months ago, a "second Allin conversion" .50-70 trapdoor, a Model 1866 where the breechblock is stamped 1866, so was "first-year production." It has been beat up some outside (not unexpected for a 150+ year-old military rifle), but the bore is pretty shiny. It shoots more than OK for an open-sighted rifle driven by a semi-geezer. Have it on the buffalo background because some historians believe .50-70 trapdoors might have accounted for more 19th-century bison than any of the famous commercial rifles. In fact, I might just do another buffalo ranch-hunt with it.

[Linked Image]

This really needs a "Like" button. My uncle has a Springfield on the wall that has family history. Would love to mold up some lead and get that back into the game.
Funny story. He took it down to the Armory to see uf he could get some info on it since its been in the family for a good number of generations. The Woman at the door in the National Park Service uniform just about had a hart attack and told him it had to go back to the car ASAP!!!
My my how the times have changed in the good ol home of the Minute Man.
The 7x57R is also known in some circles as the 7mm Ingwe Flanged. Here a more detailed view:

[Linked Image]

Here's one for Ingwe. He needs to buy it. I'm weakening and am shaking with cold sweats.

https://simpsonltd.com/mauser-98-z42918/
My po-boy 9.3 x 62. Original Husqvarna 146 in 9.3 x 57 I rechambered one slow day at the shop.

Loggah! That Mauser rocks!!!!!

I sure like mine.

😊😊😊👍👍👍
Great looking mauser rifles !!!i do have one other mauser, a custom one in 257 roberts its pretty special to me because it was one of the rifles that was in Schiff the gunmans shop when he was found dead. heres a picture of old Schiff in his shop which was about 15 miles from me.

Classic image, one of the best I have seen on here!
Makes me think of elk steak !!!!! mmmmmmm smile
Originally Posted by patbrennan

Classic image, one of the best I have seen on here!

Thank you very much, sir! Probably one if not, the best hunt ever! I will never forget that hunt!
Heres a Harry Lawson custom remington 700 in 458 winchester made in the early 90's i haven't shot anything except targets with it. smile

What no shotgun? Any how, by your measure my collection is nearly complete. On another point, one evening my mother saw my collection and said your crazy. I thought to myself : what the hell is she talking about? It's just a nominal and basic firearm collection . An array of handguns and rifles(with ammo). Maybe folks like you and my mom just choose hyperbolic words. To me it's merely being a plain ole good practicing American.
I believe my Remington #4 Rolling block 32 RF qualifies me as a "loonie".

Tack
© 24hourcampfire