Home
Posted By: comerade Big Game, little bullet - 01/10/20
Not a question of ethics, or recommendations but what is the largest bodied Game animal( not livestock) you have witnessed being taken? What was the chambering? Bullet?
Myself, it was a dry cow elk, a 22/250 ,a ttsx bullet directed behind the ear...tipped right over.
Curious to here any experiences out there!
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Big Game, little bullet - 01/10/20
200 lb (dressed) whitetail doe. 53 grain TSX. 70-75 yards. Through both shoulders (no bone). Ran about 30 yards. 9 twist barrel on a 700 .223 at ~3300 FPS. OK blood trail.

I have seen adult deer shot with .22 lr rifles and one pistol. All head shots. All went down where they stood.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Big Game, little bullet - 01/10/20
Elephant. One shot from a M-16. 5.56x45 ball to the brain; Bang-Flop-Twitch and done.
Posted By: Savuti Re: Big Game, little bullet - 01/10/20
I think we have a winner..........
Posted By: ingwe Re: Big Game, little bullet - 01/10/20
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Elephant. One shot from a M-16. 5.56x45 ball to the brain; Bang-Flop-Twitch and done.

Crap...even me, the Stunt Shooter, can't compete with that! cry
Well, there's bigger things out there than elephants and smaller cartridges. Don't give up or slight yourself......
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Big Game, little bullet - 01/10/20

Elephant killed with a 22LR

https://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/easier-stuff/342415/elephant-killing-probe-heats-up
Well, there's bigger things out there than elephants and smaller cartridges. Don't give up or slight yourself......

well..I just bought a .17 Remington....so I now have goals to re-establish...
I sold a speargun awhile back that was powered by .22 blanks, of the nail gun variety. Friggin' thing was awesome under water. Great Whites? Whales? One never knows what they can do until they try.

DD

PS: I think rhinos are scarier than ele, FWIW.

Yeah, but they're not as big...

Maybe I could start there with the .17...
I dunno. Every man has to reach his own conclusions?

Back around '96 I had occasion to visit a rather large petting zoo that was in theory dedicated to preserving threatened species. I got to pet a giraffe or two, a tiger ( their hair ain't soft and comforting) and a few other oddities. I really bonded with the tiger cause he stole my wife's skirt. Ripped it off with a single swipe he did.

Anyway, in the course of the tour we rode around the compound in a brand new Escalade and in passing the rhino pen there emerged a white rhino that was every bit as big as the Escalade. He was not happy to see us, and stomped the ground with indignation several times. He was about 30' from us and his antics shook the vehicle rather profoundly. The wife (my Ex) screamed in horror. Or maybe her bare legs were just unbearably cold from the AC? Who knows? Anyway, that critter was HUGE. I felt threatened and asked the driver where my cage was.

Seems I read about a bull elephant that was killed with a 22LR in one of the Africa books. Maybe Hunter or Bell?
My biggest was deer with a 22. Head shots at fairly close range drops them although if shot placement isn't exact it could be ugly.
Posted By: KenMi Re: Big Game, little bullet - 01/10/20
Capstick mentioned it too. But, he mentioned plenty of things that can be taken with a grain of salt, because there could have been some influence of alcohol involved while writing.
Originally Posted by ingwe

Yeah, but they're not as big...

Maybe I could start there with the .17...

Let me know when you’re going to do it. I’ll take out a short term accidental death life insurance policy for Ingwe-wife’s protection. I reserve all video rights however. smile
Hey Johnny, you be careful with that stuff. There's a reason he's called Ingwe. Even Chuck Norris respects him.
Posted By: Canazes9 Re: Big Game, little bullet - 01/10/20
Hey Johnny, you be careful with that stuff. There's a reason he's called Ingwe. Even Chuck Norris respects him.

Well yeah, Chuck was taught to respect his Elders.

David
Posted By: ingwe Re: Big Game, little bullet - 01/11/20
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Well yeah, Chuck was taught to respect his Elders.

David

You'll smoke a turd in hell for that....

Chuck never killed a pissed off leopard with a .38 special....tell him to call me when he does...well talk...
Posted By: GreggH Re: Big Game, little bullet - 01/11/20
Ingwe you have to give Canazes that one. Pretty damn funny!
GreggH

Chuck never killed a pissed off leopard with a .38 special....tell him to call me when he does...well talk...

I am not sure you have ever told us the whole story about the leopard and the old, rusty, Taurus 38. C’mon Ingwe, its a cold windy night here on the plains of Nebraska and we need to hear a good tale!!
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Big Game, little bullet - 01/11/20
Johnny, he doesn't do anything or go anywhere without Rommel by his side. Be careful. Chuck is terrified of Rommel.
Johnny, he doesn't do anything or go anywhere without Rommel by his side. Be careful. Chuck is terrified of Rommel.

And this is Rommel...who got in a little practice last week putting the run on a bad guy.... laugh

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

And when Rommel isn't around, this little man takes care of business...and he's faster... whistle

Chuck is scared of them both.....
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar

I am not sure you have ever told us the whole story about the leopard and the old, rusty, Taurus 38. C’mon Ingwe, its a cold windy night here on the plains of Nebraska and we need to hear a good tale!!

You must know the story if you know it was an old rusty Taurus...

You must know the story if you know it was an old rusty Taurus...

Alright I’ll fess up. I was just asking for the sake of the young’ uns on the board. You know those younger than in their late 50’s who weren’t around for your last tellin’ of the tale.
Posted By: 358wsm Re: Big Game, little bullet - 01/11/20

Some intensity in Rommel's eyes there... great looking dog.
Posted By: doubletap Re: Big Game, little bullet - 01/11/20

And this is Rommel...who got in a little practice last week putting the run on a bad guy.... laugh

And when Rommel isn't around, this little man takes care of business...and he's faster... whistle

Looks like you don't need a concealed weapon.
Originally Posted by doubletap

Looks like you don't need a concealed weapon.

For years I have gotten my best nights sleep when there is a German Shepherd and a gun, both within arms reach...
From the looks of your right hand you were within arms length of something...

Both the pups are beautiful animals!
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Big Game, little bullet - 01/12/20
Beautiful K-9's
Posted By: Elvis Re: Big Game, little bullet - 01/12/20
Years ago now when I first stated hunting we were out hunting foxes so I had my .222 with Winchester 50gn soft points. Well we put a BIG boar up below a farm dam and he took off towards the pines about 300m away. He disappeared over a small rise and I chased him. When I got on top of the rise I expected him to be disappearing into the pines. However he was standing below the rise about ten metres away. When he heard me come puffing up, he turned, started clicking his tusks and began walking towards me. I lifted the .222, found black hair and fired. The boar went down about seven or eight metres away squealing and kicking for a minute then went still. When I had a look I couldn't for the life of me find the bullet hole and I checked for 20 minutes I'd say. I have no idea where I hit him as my scope was wound up to 9 and the pig was only eight metres when I shot him. At that close range the whole scope view was filled with black hair and I was pretty inexperienced as well. I count myself lucky that the little .222 put him down at such close range. The farmer said he was the biggest pig he'd ever seen. He had weighed one in a few weeks before at 130kg (286 lbs) and after one look at mine he said it was much bigger than that one. It's still my biggest pig taken though it was 22 years ago.
Posted By: shootem Re: Big Game, little bullet - 01/12/20
Eleiophant with a 22 LR? I'll believe it when reputable pictures of the animal, the wound, demonstrable bullet path and the recovered bullet are presented in a believable format. Until then.........BS
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Big Game, little bullet - 01/12/20
Dunno I'd be too quick to dismiss that idea. Bella was using .22 Longs for this one...

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/be...d-record-grizzly-and-more/#axzz6Ap5cesRS

[Linked Image from ammoland.com]

I like CB shorts for pigs.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Big Game, little bullet - 01/12/20
I’ve killed deer with a.22 WMR.
Posted By: MikeNZ Re: Big Game, little bullet - 01/12/20
Not me, but I was there when my mate killed a fallow deer with a .17 HMR. One shot in the back of the head - DRT..
Posted By: ingwe Re: Big Game, little bullet - 01/12/20
Originally Posted by Johnny Dollar
From the looks of your right hand you were within arms length of something...

Both the pups are beautiful animals!

Yeah...me and the boy were "playing"....unintentional bite.

Were it intentional we would\ have gone to the ER...
Posted By: Elvis Re: Big Game, little bullet - 01/13/20
Originally Posted by MikeNZ
Not me, but I was there when my mate killed a fallow deer with a .17 HMR. One shot in the back of the head - DRT..

I used to load .243 ammo for a farmer mate out west. He rang one night to ask about the 17HMR for pigs. I said I thought it would be a fair bit light but he went and bought one anyway. The next time I was out there about a year later he had no .243 cases to reload. He hadn't fired it since purchasing the .17HMR. He was shooting everything with it (foxes, roos and pigs) and said he hadn't lost a single animal. Head shots normally but he said he had hit a fair few pigs in the chest and they had gone down. Amazing!.
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Big Game, little bullet - 01/13/20
It was about January 1952 when 3 boys were hunting Snowshoe rabbits on an Adirondack farm woodlot. Up jumped a whitetail doe and she ran right towards one of the boys. His Mossberg .22LR came up. The front bead was on the white spot just under her chin. The Mossy went bang. None of those 3 boys had ever cleaned anything bigger than a rabbit but out came the Kamp-King and they did manage to get most of the guts out. The fresh snow was knee deep and that doe was all those boys could drag 200 yards back to the house. There was a bright red streak from where she was gutted, across the road in front of the house and up the driveway. The 3 boys with huge grins of great hunter pride were not prepared for the explosion that came from the Dad's mouth. It was then that they learned with absolute certainty that the shot should have not been taken. Shot placement trumps .......
68 years ago. The Mossberg is a Model 151M-R.
I just pulled it out of my gun cabinet to check the model #.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Big Game, little bullet - 01/13/20
That tale put a smile on my mug.
Posted By: Ready Re: Big Game, little bullet - 01/14/20
It sure did. I bet Dad did also smile at it - behind closed doors, mind.
Posted By: comerade Re: Big Game, little bullet - 01/15/20
I like how lighter faster bullets perform on larger big game providing they work as designed . It steps up many marginal chamberings to become quite adequate.
The .270 wcf and the Barnes 129 gr lrx is a good bull elk round,imo. I have used my 25/06 and older 120 gr Partitions on bull elk and moose. MY little old opinion.
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: Big Game, little bullet - 01/16/20
My dear old Dad moved us to Washington state in 1952 when I was 2 years old. We lived in a little 3 room shack near Spirit Lake and Mt. Saint Helens. Dad was doing shop work for a big logging out fit. He had a single shot .22 and his old Mod. 99 in .300 Savage. Dad said the little deer would walk up under the apple tree about 20' from the kitchen window. He said he felt bad doing it, but times were lean. so a few deer fell to the little .22 short.

Mom got home sick and he moved us back to Iowa, darn it. At least he moved us to Alaska in 1965. I think my Mom's brother ended up with that .22, darn it any way.
© 24hourcampfire