Home
Posted By: SS336 Gun Gack review - 01/13/20
Great book. Good read. Lots of stuff you didn't know. Stuff you forgot, but did know. Cartridge history, always interesting. Some old cartridges, some new. In other words something for everyone.

But...I do have one complaint. Every other chapter starts.."I walked into Capital Sports and someone handed me this uber cool rifle". Now don't get me wrong, I think that's great, my envy has no bounds. Every gunshop I go in only has AR's and plastic stocked rifles. Now don't get me wrong nothing wrong with that, but I would like see some uber cool rifle that I could look at, fondle and maybe purchase. grin grin

Seriously, great book. When my check comes in I'm going to get "Gun Gack II".
Posted By: kalbrecht Re: Gun Gack review - 01/14/20
John says he's working on Gun Gack 111 right now. Better catch up .
Posted By: OldmanoftheSea Re: Gun Gack review - 01/14/20
Find an out of the way shop in hunt country that has been around long enough for old codgers to buy and sell a few rifles....
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Gun Gack review - 01/14/20
SS33t6,

Yeah, I grow a little weary about writing about how I "found" rifles at Capital Sports--but not very much, because this only is a partial list of those found over the years:

.50-70 Springfield Model 1866 "trapdoor"
..45-70 H&R trapdoor Officer's Model
375 H&H Whitworth Mauser
9,3x62 CZ 550
.33 WCF Winchester Model 1886 take-down
.303 British Ross M1910
7.7 Arisaka M38
.308 Win. pre-'64 Model 70
.25-35 Winchester Model 1894, 26" octagon barre[. made 1898
.243 Win. custom Mexican Mauser, 1960s with fantastic wood, excellent accuracy
6mm Lee-Navy Sporter
6mm PPC custom benchrest rifle, five shots in .15 inch
.223 AR-15, sub-moa with about any load
.222 Remington Sako L461 "Mannlicher"
.22 K-Hornet Brno ZKW 465
.22 Magnum Ruger American (.$179, most accurate .22 Mag I have owned)
.22 Long Rifle Win. 62A
.17 HMR CZ (most accurate .17 rimfire I have owned)

Non-rifles:
12-gauge Merkel 47E side-by-side
.32-30 Colt Army Special

Posted By: SS336 Re: Gun Gack review - 01/14/20
Which begs the question, has anyone ever moved to be closer to a gun shop. grin grin
Posted By: ingwe Re: Gun Gack review - 01/14/20
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
SS33t6,

Yeah, I grow a little weary about writing about how I "found" rifles at Capital Sports--but not very much, because this only is a partial list of those found over the years:

.50-70 Springfield Model 1866 "trapdoor"
..45-70 H&R trapdoor Officer's Model
375 H&H Whitworth Mauser
9,3x62 CZ 550
.33 WCF Winchester Model 1886 take-down
.303 British Ross M1910
7.7 Arisaka M38
.308 Win. pre-'64 Model 70
.25-35 Winchester Model 1894, 26" octagon barre[. made 1898
.243 Win. custom Mexican Mauser, 1960s with fantastic wood, excellent accuracy
6mm Lee-Navy Sporter
6mm PPC custom benchrest rifle, five shots in .15 inch
,223 AR-15, sub-moa with about any load
..222 Remington Sako L461 "Mannlicher"
.22 K-Hornet Brno ZKW 465
.22 Magnum Ruger American (.$179, most accurate .22 Mag I have owned)
.22 Long Rifle Win. 62A
.17 HMR CZ (most accurate .17 rimfire I have owned)

Non-rifles:
12-gauge Merkel 47E side-by-side
.32-30 Colt Army Special

Hell...I sold you more than that when I worked there....
Posted By: Jevyod Re: Gun Gack review - 01/14/20
Originally Posted by kalbrecht
John says he's working on Gun Gack 111 right now. Better catch up .

Not to hijack the thread, but any idea when we may be looking for it? I also recently purchased both I and II, and am waiting for III
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Gun Gack review - 01/14/20
God knew what he was doing when He located me 1500 miles from that place. We see some nice stuff around here, but most of it is priced like it's diamond-studded.
Posted By: WAM Re: Gun Gack review - 01/15/20
I’m going to cruise the gun racks at Capital Sports next time I’m through Helena. I would also like to hear about any good pre-loved gun shops in the Missoula area and elsewhere. Double Eagle Pawn in Deer Park and Spokane, WA have a considerable selection of used guns, too.
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Gun Gack review - 01/15/20
Originally Posted by WAM
I’m going to cruise the gun racks at Capital Sports next time I’m through Helena. I would also like to hear about any good pre-loved gun shops in the Missoula area and elsewhere. Double Eagle Pawn in Deer Park and Spokane, WA have a considerable selection of used guns, too.

Shedhorn Sports in Ennis, MT is one to visit if you are near enough. There is a gun counter but most of the guns are out on the floor in racks where you can walk through aisles and check them out and handle them without “bothering” a sales clerk.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Gun Gack review - 01/15/20
The other one I highly recommend is Whittaker Guns in Kentucky. They have FAR more used long guns than either Capital or Shedhorn, at very good prices.

The disadvantage is there are too many choices!
Posted By: MT_Mike Re: Gun Gack review - 01/15/20
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Originally Posted by WAM

Shedhorn Sports in Ennis, MT is one to visit if you are near enough. There is a gun counter but most of the guns are out on the floor in racks where you can walk through aisles and check them out and handle them without “bothering” a sales clerk.

The Fort in Big Timber is another good one to visit. Amen Firearms in Missoula used to be pretty good, but I haven't been to their shop in years.
Posted By: WVGuy Re: Gun Gack review - 01/15/20
Pappy, Whittaker Guns is a bit closer. It is about 600 miles one way for me. I was actually able to leave without any new guns.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Gun Gack review - 01/15/20
Originally Posted by SS336
Which begs the question, has anyone ever moved to be closer to a gun shop. grin grin

No, but I'll drive far, far out of my way to stop at Capitol or Shedhorn when I'm in that part of the world.
Posted By: nick Re: Gun Gack review - 01/18/20
I love old gun shops with lots of used guns.
Out of the 150 or so guns Ive bought sold traded over the last 40 plus years, only a handful have been new.
Posted By: Biebs Re: Gun Gack review - 01/18/20
The Kittery Trading Post in Maine used to be a regular stop on our way up north. Lots of good used rifles to gawk at.
© 24hourcampfire