Home
Posted By: old_willys Wolf publishing - 01/15/20
Anyone else getting security warning from their browser when you try to logon at riflemag.com?

Firefox states site not secure login could be compromised?
Posted By: ScottBrad Re: Wolf publishing - 01/15/20
I gave up on them a few years ago. Their subscription department is second to none when it comes to useless.

Might be good magazines but I've survived 4 years without.

Good luck with those idiots.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Wolf publishing - 01/15/20
It's a shame, but not unpredicted.
Hope they can get things together as they still have many good folks working there.
Posted By: BullShooter Re: Wolf publishing - 01/15/20
Originally Posted by old_willys
Anyone else getting security warning from their browser when you try to logon at riflemag.com?

Try https://www.riflemagazine.com/ instead.

--Bob
Posted By: Kellywk Re: Wolf publishing - 01/15/20
The writing and content side is excellent, the back office part always seems to be a train wreck
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Wolf publishing - 01/15/20
Originally Posted by BullShooter

--Bob

Well, duh.
Posted By: chamois Re: Wolf publishing - 01/16/20
My server also gives me a security alert about their site.

In any case I have already told them that I do not like their new set up, plus the fact I cannot download the issues, and I will not renew my subscriptions.

It worked so well for me as it was that I cannot understand what where they trying to fix!
Posted By: old_willys Re: Wolf publishing - 01/16/20
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Originally Posted by BullShooter

--Bob

Well, duh.

same error message either address
Posted By: Lansend Re: Wolf publishing - 01/16/20
Wanted today to order some Rifle back issues to my PO box. Got on the Wolf site with Firefox without trouble but the site is so hard to navigate and full of content errors I can see why it triggers a security warning.

I did pick 3 magazines total $27 and change. Don't care how long delivery takes. Wolfe gives 2 delivery options--USPS 2 day at $27 or overnight at $72. I'll do without. No way to run a business.
Posted By: ScottBrad Re: Wolf publishing - 01/16/20
Originally Posted by Lansend
Wanted today to order some Rifle back issues to my PO box. Got on the Wolf site with Firefox without trouble but the site is so hard to navigate and full of content errors I can see why it triggers a security warning.

I did pick 3 magazines total $27 and change. Don't care how long delivery takes. Wolfe gives 2 delivery options--USPS 2 day at $27 or overnight at $72. I'll do without. No way to run a business.

Amen. [bleep] Wolfe Publishing.

I attempted to order one back issue and they wanted to charge me $12 for shipping. That, along with the double charges in subscriptions over the years, I finally pulled the plug.

I swear they are the most miserable company to deal with. I hope they die a quick death.
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: Wolf publishing - 01/16/20
I to was frustrated with their web site. I must have renewed my PW 5 or more times. Other issues too.

To bad I for the most part like the read.

Lefty
Posted By: hanco Re: Wolf publishing - 01/17/20
I gave up on them years ago.
Posted By: ready_on_the_right Re: Wolf publishing - 01/17/20
Handloader
Successful Hunter
Rifle

All of them work fine on my computer.

Mike
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Wolf publishing - 01/17/20
Dunno for sure, but today's issues may be partly due to Microsoft dropping "support" of Windows 7 yesterday. Had it happen on one of my pair of computers.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Wolf publishing - 01/17/20
I get them in print because it is hard to balance the laptop in your lap while working. whistle
Posted By: old_willys Re: Wolf publishing - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Handloader
Successful Hunter
Rifle

Mike

They worked fine on mine until they changed the website, my account shows I have 6 more months on my subscription but every time I try to download the latest Handloader it takes me to renew and doesn't give me the option to read/download..... it keeps working like this I will never renew.
Posted By: TX35W Re: Wolf publishing - 01/17/20
Pretty good mags though.
Posted By: Kellywk Re: Wolf publishing - 01/17/20
Handloader
Successful Hunter
Rifle

Mike

They worked fine on mine until they changed the website, my account shows I have 6 more months on my subscription but every time I try to download the latest Handloader it takes me to renew and doesn't give me the option to read/download..... it keeps working like this I will never renew.

I called customer service about this same issue last week and they said that the issues are no longer downloadable
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Wolf publishing - 01/17/20
I read Handloader and Rifle quite a bit. Even though I’ve been hand loading for a little more than 10 years I still pick up some tips now and then.

The new websites work fine on my phone.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Wolf publishing - 01/17/20
So there’s no more online subscription? They’ve provided no notice of this. Reckon I’ll still get rifle and HL but no more of their hunting mag. They included it free and even at that price it never impressed.
Posted By: joelkdouglas Re: Wolf publishing - 01/17/20
Originally Posted by pabucktail
So there’s no more online subscription? They’ve provided no notice of this. Reckon I’ll still get rifle and HL but no more of their hunting mag. They included it free and even at that price it never impressed.

My subscription is online only.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Wolf publishing - 01/17/20
[s][/s]
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Reckon I’ll still get rifle and HL but no more of their hunting mag. They included it free and even at that price it never impressed.

Successful Hunter is definitely the weak, redheaded step-sister of the family.
Posted By: papat Re: Wolf publishing - 01/17/20
I can't seem to log in on the new websites. Guess a call to them is in order
Posted By: deltakid Re: Wolf publishing - 01/17/20
I really hate that you can no longer download the issue. I have kept the last few years on a thumb drive and refer to it frequently. Now, you can see the magazine, but cannot download. The lady at CS said it was done because of a security issue. I guess my security solution is to cancel my subscription, peruse the issues on the stand, and buy the ones that have what I am interested in. I think they are going to be losing a lot of subscribers because of this.
Posted By: WAM Re: Wolf publishing - 01/18/20
Same here. I liked the downloaded pdf versions. Security issue my ass. Somebody sold them a pack of IT bullschit. Accordingly, I won’t be renewing. I’ll flip them at the store and call it good; just like I dumped the other hook & bullet rags.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Wolf publishing - 01/19/20
Handloader
Successful Hunter
Rifle

Mike

I have no issues either.
Posted By: Copenhagen Re: Wolf publishing - 01/21/20
Originally Posted by ScottBrad
I gave up on them a few years ago. Their subscription department is second to none when it comes to useless.

Might be good magazines but I've survived 4 years without.

Good luck with those idiots.

This thread caught my eye and I hate to pile on but I cancelled my online and print subscriptions back in 2010 after a LOT of years of print subscriptions and three years of online subscriptions to all three magazines. I kind of hated to do it, because my favorite writers (this means you John B. and Phil S.) were frequent contributors.

Not sure what its like now, but back then if you failed to download the pdf files of the magazines within a set amount of time, you were locked out from ever downloading them again (even if you were a subscriber at the time--and I subscribed to both print and online but didn't know it was a "you snooze, you lose" type of subscription. I reached out to customer service thinking maybe they could confirm my years of subscriptions and help me get the pdf's. I had an email exchange with Don (of Wolfe Publishing Company) being as polite as I could, and he ended up saying he didn't know what I was talking about and finished with "I just don't understand why you have an attitude. We have been most helpful to you..." At that point he lost a customer forever. I just got a post card the other day that said "We want you back." It went straight into the trash. I have loved every book I have bought straight from John and Eileen and love hearing Phil's insights on this forum.

I still have all my old emails and that exchange was classic. It's incredibly rare to have someone be that rude to a customer. I was so mad but just decided to take the high road and never send them another dollar.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Wolf publishing - 02/12/20
Just got off the phone with them. The issues are indeed no longer available for download. The explanation I got was that the PDFs weren't searchable by Google, and that advertisers were getting ads for free. Sounds like BS to me, but whatever the explanation, if I can't download and save the issues, it's of no use to me. Thankfully, the rep agreed to refund my money for my renewal they billed me for last month. Too bad.

No doubt they'll continue to send me solicitations as they have been ever since I converted to digital from print. The left hand still doesn't know what the right hand is doing.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Wolf publishing - 02/12/20
You can go to each column and download it as a pdf. I just did it.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Wolf publishing - 02/13/20
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
You can go to each column and download it as a pdf. I just did it.

You go ahead. I have enough trouble keeping the magazines sorted out as it is.

This is just a bonehead move on their part.
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: Wolf publishing - 02/13/20
Originally Posted by Pappy348
...This is just a bonehead move on their part.

I have to agree, but as long as their bottom line remains unaffected, it just doesn't matter. Remember, ad dollars rule here. If the advertisers are happy; satisfied that their wares are receiving the proper exposure, nothing will change.

With apologies to the late Gene Pitney,

It Hurts to be Online

It hurts to be online,
When the only ones online,
Turn out to be readers
Who are not online with you....

We'll see. The rep I spoke with got a little tight; I suspect I'm not the only one he's had to deal with about this.

Might go back to paper copies when I stop being pissed, but certainly not that embarrassing Successful Hunter.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Wolf publishing - 02/13/20
I stopped in and had a nice talk with Don, the owner of Wolfe Pub, and he assures me he has changed things and they seem to be working.
The problem he has is that every time he makes a suggested change, the folks that have recently become familiar with the old system start complaining.

But he is attempting to make it as user friendly as possible.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Wolf publishing - 02/13/20
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
...This is just a bonehead move on their part.

I have to agree, but as long as their bottom line remains unaffected, it just doesn't matter. Remember, ad dollars rule here. If the advertisers are happy; satisfied that their wares are receiving the proper exposure, nothing will change.

With apologies to the late Gene Pitney,

It Hurts to be Online

It hurts to be online,
When the only ones online,
Turn out to be readers
Who are not online with you....

Love it! I thought that I was the only one who remembered Gene for something other than "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance".
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Wolf publishing - 02/13/20
Might go back to paper copies when I stop being pissed, but certainly not that embarrassing Successful Hunter.

AKA Lee J. Hoots fails Remedial Writing.
Never met the gentleman, but I have this notion I wouldn't like him much.
Posted By: pabucktail Re: Wolf publishing - 02/13/20
Never met the gentleman, but I have this notion I wouldn't like him much.

Yep. I wrote him off as a doofus several years ago when he wrote a .270 isn't sufficient for big mule deer.
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: Wolf publishing - 02/13/20
Originally Posted by Kellywk
The writing and content side is excellent, the back office part always seems to be a train wreck

^^^^^^This^^^^^
Seems like every time I've contacted the sub department, they've dropped the ball. When I went digital, I was assured that my remaining issues would be applied to the new subscription. Nope, I continued to get magazines,so paid twice for a few issues. Same sort of snafu occurred earlier when I tried to combine the HL and Rifle subscriptions. Had to let both expire in order to get that done. I suspect their data resides in a shoebox under someone's desk.

I have no problem with digital content, but when you sell me a digital subscription that allows me to download and backup the content I purchased, then yank the rug out from under me without notice, forcing me to figure it out myself, you've served me very poorly, and reduced the value of what I paid for. It's bad enough that missing the download window would mean you might not get access to the mags, the doofus I talked to yesterday acted like the ability to print the articles individually (on my dime) somehow made up for not being able to just download the whole shebang in one swoop and enjoy it offline at my leisure. If I wanted hard copy, I would have stayed with paper issues.

Contrast this futz-up with my subscription to the RLN, that allows me not only to download and save the issues, but also access every previous issue too.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Wolf publishing - 02/13/20
Originally Posted by plainsman456
I get them in print because it is hard to balance the laptop in your lap while working. whistle

Or while on the throne in the reading room.

I'm just a boomer who likes to read paper magazines and books. I was just looking at a magazine article on a rifle and the author was describing some features on the stock. Very easy for me to flip back a page or two to look at full pics of the rifle in question............not so easy to do or even see on a small screen. I'll stick with paper thank you very much.

Only interactions I've had with their subscription department has been multiple address changes over the years for permanent and seasonal moves. When issues have been missed, sent to wrong address, or "lost" by the USPS Wolfe has always been good about sending me the missing issue.

Hope, as Phil pointed out that they're attempting, that they get the situation worked out to all y'alls satisfaction soon.

Geno
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Wolf publishing - 02/14/20
I worked it out by cancelling the e-edition and going back to paper. I'll do the same with my Rifle sub when the next one comes out, keeping the two separate so as not to tax their abilities.
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: Wolf publishing - 02/14/20
I'm glad you got things worked out.

Several years ago, I subscribed to the online version from Wolfe, but cancelled it. Hopefully, they have changed their practices, but they auto renewed me. When I phoned about it, they said the auto renewal notice was there, but like a lot of things, it was in the fine print. So you could say that it was my fault, but why does any company put things like that buried in small print? Perhaps so that the consumer won't notice? I cannot think of any other reason. To me, that was duplicitous.

I like paper books and magazines because, as others have said, I can take them to the washroom. No worries about balancing a laptop on my knees. smile
They do not require batteries.
They are completely portable, especially for trips, hunting camps and perusing on the porch.
I do not have to worry about changes to subscription rules.
I don't bother with certain months because the theme does not interest me. Shotgun annuals. Archery editions. etc.
And this last one, which over the years has become the most important - when I buy the mag, I own it forever.

Every person has his preferences.

© 24hourcampfire