Home
Posted By: gitem_12 Petzal - 01/21/20
Is he really the pompous Azzhole he comes across as in both his writing and tv appearances?
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Petzal - 01/21/20
I’ve wondered the same thing.
Posted By: Sam_H Re: Petzal - 01/21/20
No. My brother and I shared camp with him a few seasons. He is a gentleman of the first order. Some might confuse his very dry sense of humor for arrogance. That would be a mistake.

He is also a wicked good position and field shooter.
Posted By: fishdog52 Re: Petzal - 01/21/20
I like him. He knows what he is talking about.
Like many of us old pharts, he occasionally gets a little thin skinned with some of the stupidity that surrounds us. That's just fun.
I've noticed that Mule Deer has joined this club, and seems to be enjoying the freedom to call some of this nonsense.
Petzel and Barsness are, by far, the 2 most credible writers we are privileged to have among us.
The next generation is gonna have a big problem replacing them.
Posted By: Jerseyboy Re: Petzal - 01/21/20
Back around 2003, I met Dave Petzal at his fancy hook-and-bullet club, The Campfire Club of America. I was there as a guest of a friend, another member, who knows Petzal. My friend introduced us, and Dave was very nice. Somewhere I have a picture of us together. I look forward to his articles at Field and Stream.
Posted By: comerade Re: Petzal - 01/21/20
I like his writing, he is a curmudgeon.
I am a curmudgeon.
My friends and acquaintances are mostly a little like this too. It sounds to me that Petzal knew Warren Page, I liked the very cranky Warren.
I questioned his western hunting skills, he lived in the east. There is only one way to be good at hunting game and that is to be immersed in it by living around it.
Hunting with Outfitter's teaches you little about the landscape and the species,and besides, the guides make all the decisions. I know this because I have work for many Guide Outfitter's as a BG guide.
I really believe you have to live, breath, see western game, hit a few with your truck or kick a few from your haystack yard to become good at hunting the species.
I digress, but , I like David's writing and haven't noticed much about the tactical side- that would turn me off
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Petzal - 01/21/20
Used to watch him before I cut the cord. I really liked his dry humor and deadpan delivery. Some might take that as arrogance, I suppose, but I never did.

Long ago he wrote an article featuring his Custom Shop Weatherby 7mm with a classic stock. That's the only Weatherby that ever really wound my clock.
Posted By: wrongtime Re: Petzal - 01/21/20
I like Petzal. He doesn’t mince words. Most of the truly knowledgeable writers can come across as arrogant. (And, frequently, the not-so-knowledgeable.) Keith, Askins, Cooper, O’Connor could all come across that way. They simply knew what they were talking about, had strong opinions, and weren’t shy about sharing them.
Posted By: lotech Re: Petzal - 01/21/20
I have read some of his pieces in GUN DIGEST, etc. but don't read whatever publication he writes for. We were seated at the same table at a SHOT Show luncheon/ presentation about ten or so years ago. Certainly seemed a gentleman and generally pleasant person.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Petzal - 01/21/20
I have read Petzel's stuff and have seen him on TV. Seems quite credible and I like his sense of humor. I'd take him for a brother any day. I don't say that very often. Be Well, Rustyzipper.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Petzal - 01/21/20
I wish I had money when some of his rifles were auctioned off. I especially wanted his Ultra Light Arms rifle in a beautiful Stutzen stock in 257AI, I think. Several others too.
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Petzal - 01/21/20
I've always enjoyed his writing, as well as his attitude. He's not one to suffer fools lightly, as the old saying goes. And is approach to hunting and rifles appeals to me. JB is in that category, too, all the way.
Posted By: M1Garand Re: Petzal - 01/21/20
I enjoy his writings. To me he's not PC and tells it like he sees it.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Petzal - 01/21/20
Originally Posted by shootinurse
I've always enjoyed his writing, as well as his attitude. He's not one to suffer fools lightly, as the old saying goes. And is approach to hunting and rifles appeals to me. JB is in that category, too, all the way.

JB may be a tad more diplomatic.

Both good writers.

DF
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Petzal - 01/21/20
I have known Dave Petzal for over 40 years--personally, and as one of my bosses when I was a staff writer for FIELD & STREAM, and as a hunting companion. Apparently some people do not get his dry sense of humor, especially when reading his writing, but there are plenty of people without much sense of humor above a grade-school level. He is a curmudgeon, but also generous--and I learned a lot from him about writing over the years.

Dave is of the generation which believed in using larger rifle cartridges for hunting than many do now, probably because there weren't as many great bullets for everything from varmints to really big game as there are today. Consequently he's kind of stuck in the past in some ways, but that's his experience, and he's honest about it--though I believe he likes to exaggerate his opinions, because he also likes to tweak people.

I like his writing a lot, but for some reason or another he's not great at telling hunting stories. I know other gun writers with the same trait, so don't hold it against him.

Tejano--Dave sold the NULA Stutzen 7x57 a number of years ago. Like many of us, he's an absolute rifle (and other firearms) loony, and at the time he simply HAD to have a certain, very expensive European trap gun. So he sold some of his other guns (as I recall 2-3, but it may have been more) in order to buy the scattergun.
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Petzal - 01/21/20
I like Petzal's writing and appreciate his sense of humor. He certainly has opinions, but isn't that what one would expect from a writer, especially one of such long experience?
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Petzal - 01/21/20
I once contacted him wondering about one of his strongly-voiced opinions and received a very civil and well-thought-out reply.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Petzal - 01/21/20
He can't be too much of a curmudgeon, he likes the 6.5 CM.
Posted By: camdog Re: Petzal - 01/21/20

My favorite writer, I thoroughly enjoy everything he writes. I get his sense of humor which is substantially more developed than mine. Miss his TV show.

Picked up much sound advice from his writings and TV show.
Posted By: ribka Re: Petzal - 01/21/20
I met him a few times. He's a good writer, a smart guy with great sense of humor.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: Petzal - 01/21/20
I haven't read "Field and Stream" for years. I think his writing suffers because of some word limit they impose, as compared with Jack O'Connor's writing in "Outdoor Life" 40 or 50 years ago. Maybe that's why he can seem abrupt.
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Petzal - 01/21/20
Apparently I am the odd man out, never been able to tolerate him. Always considered him as the dumbfounded [bleep] of the industry. Me and my shooting friends always referred to him as Petzal Dick.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
Back around 2003, I met Dave Petzal at his fancy hook-and-bullet club, The Campfire Club of America. I was there as a guest of a friend, another member, who knows Petzal. My friend introduced us, and Dave was very nice. Somewhere I have a picture of us together. I look forward to his articles at Field and Stream.

The Campfire is a little more than a fancy hook-and-bullet club! To say the very least.
Posted By: WAM Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
I like Petzal’s writings and curmudgeon humor. I have corresponded with him on several occasions and all were positive. He seems to be a typical old school Maine Yankee, if there is such a thing! Take it or leave it.... Happy Trails
Posted By: moosemike Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
Always liked him.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
Indy,

Yes, F&S has cut article length over the past few decades. When I was writing for them regularly in the 80s and 90s, the standard word-length for features was around 2500-3000--as it was for many magazines. But today many magazines consider 2000 about maximum, and some 1500 words--which used to be column length when I started out.

But Petzal is one of the best at writing "short."
Posted By: Mike_S Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
I like the way he writes.
Posted By: Huntr Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
I have always enjoyed his work.
Posted By: Kellywk Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
I always liked his work. As a lot of others on here have said I think he likes saying stuff for shock value
Posted By: dave284 Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
Put me in the camp that likes his stuff although I rarely see it anymore. I've not really looked, has he written any books woth reading?
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
Petzal cracks me up. I like his style.
Posted By: fremont Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
You're not a curmudgeon when you back it up by knowing your schit. Always one of my favorites, both on TV and print.
Posted By: reivertom Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
Petzal calls BS when he sees it. Some folks don't like straight talk with no filters. I respect him for it. He reminds me of some old timers I've had the pleasure to call friends.He doesn't come across mean to me at all, just dry and funny.
Posted By: cdb Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
Petzal has never struck me as arrogant. He strikes me as writer with a fantastic ability for being funny. I like him a lot.
Posted By: viking Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
I thought he liked the sauce. Humorous and usually spot on.
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
Originally Posted by WAM
I like Petzal’s writings and curmudgeon humor. I have corresponded with him on several occasions and all were positive. He seems to be a typical old school Maine Yankee, if there is such a thing! Take it or leave it.... Happy Trails

Having a lot of family in Maine, I can certainly take it.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
Originally Posted by cdb
Petzal has never struck me as arrogant. He strikes me as writer with a fantastic ability for being funny. I like him a lot.

You don't have to guess what he's thinking... wink

DF
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
I like him as well.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I

Tejano--Dave sold the NULA Stutzen 7x57 a number of years ago. Like many of us, he's an absolute rifle (and other firearms) loony, and at the time he simply HAD to have a certain, very expensive European trap gun. So he sold some of his other guns (as I recall 2-3, but it may have been more) in order to buy the scattergun.

Thanks for jogging my memory, I knew it was on the x 57 mm case. 7x57 makes me wish I had sprung for it even more. Also appreciate hearing your impressions of Petzal. What is going to happen to the writing industry when all the curmudgeons are gone? They aren't making curmudgeons like they used too. Although you can't tell that from reading the Campfire.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
Originally Posted by Tejano
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I

Thanks for jogging my memory, I knew it was on the x 57 mm case. 7x57 makes me wish I had sprung for it even more. Also appreciate hearing your impressions of Petzal. What is going to happen to the writing industry when all the curmudgeons are gone? They aren't making curmudgeons like they used too. Although you can't tell that from reading the Campfire.

Curmudgeons on the Campfire... shocked

Gotta be kidding... laugh

DF
Posted By: model70man Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
I like him because he was a Senior Drill Sergeant (E-7) in the Army in 1969. He holds his cards close to his chest concerning his six years in the Army.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
I like him too.
Posted By: JohnnyLoco Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
I like his humor, folk take life too seriously these days
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
I'd consider it an honor to share a campfire and sundowner or two with him.
Posted By: Filaman Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
I've been reading him for years. He's one of the few draws Field and Stream has now days. It has its share of tree huggers. I also loved Warren Page. I used to be into amateur bench rest shooting years back and he was a very knowledgeable resource. Back then Field and Stream was a great gun rag. But they have so many left handers there now that can piss me off. Petzal is Petzal. He goes by his own rules and doesn't seem to push any agendas.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
I truly enjoy his writing and dry wit. Someone I’d pay to meet in person. His writing convinced me I needed to own a Savage 99.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
He turned me off for good when his so called dry wit slandered the Vice President of the United States.
Posted By: Tannhauser Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
I guess I've never paid much attention to Field and Stream, so I wasn't familiar with Mr. Petzal. This thread piqued my curiosity, so a quick Google search later I found this most recent article on how to clean a rifle. https://www.fieldandstream.com/story/guns/how-to-clean-a-rifle/

I have to admit I was chuckling out loud before I finished. I'm going to be reading a lot more from Mr. Petzal in the future.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
Started reading his cleaning a rifle, lost me when I saw Hoppes and copper brushes.

He's still living in the 80's.

no thanks
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
Originally Posted by Tannhauser
I guess I've never paid much attention to Field and Stream, so I wasn't familiar with Mr. Petzal. This thread piqued my curiosity, so a quick Google search later I found this most recent article on how to clean a rifle. https://www.fieldandstream.com/story/guns/how-to-clean-a-rifle/

I have to admit I was chuckling out loud before I finished. I'm going to be reading a lot more from Mr. Petzal in the future.

I like his attitude toward the process. If anyone doubts that he has a sense of humor, please note that he references the always hilarious "white or nearly white patch". To show that he is has a grip on reality, he does make the qualifier "nearly white".
Posted By: Jerseyboy Re: Petzal - 01/22/20
Here's the latest from Dave Petzal: http://l.mail.fieldandstream.com/rt...H43-Et-LYa-rBAsr-1c-j55d-1c-rB0dl-1XNMm7
Posted By: hookeye Re: Petzal - 01/23/20
He is about the best thing in F&S.
Cracks me up.
Posted By: dave284 Re: Petzal - 01/23/20
Originally Posted by SU35
Started reading his cleaning a rifle, lost me when I saw Hoppes and copper brushes.

no thanks

Read the article, you're passing judgement without solid facts. I don't agree with everything he says even in this article, mainly JB's paste being to hard to use in a sub .25, but he tells you his reason for his beliefs and methods. He also states that there is more than one method that will work and gives you a chuckle while doing it.
Posted By: BWalker Re: Petzal - 01/23/20
My Brother in Law worked for Field and Stream at one time. He told me Petzal was kind of an ass and was pretty eccentric.
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: Petzal - 01/23/20
He obviously has the attention of most of the people here, but hasn't said a word.

That makes him powerful, right sensei?

Yes, and he makes dynamite, melt in your mouth, sugar cookies. laugh
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Petzal - 01/23/20

no thanks

You need to read the article. The only Hoppes he mentions Benchrest Copper Bore Cleaner. Not an 80s product from my memory anyway.

I agree with him on nylon brushes. Copper is much better.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Petzal - 01/23/20
Originally Posted by BWalker
My Brother in Law worked for Field and Stream at one time. He told me Petzal was kind of an ass and was pretty eccentric.

Isn't that profile a prerequisite to becoming a gun writer...?? blush

Ask Col. Askins if it didn't sell copy for him... wink

Gotta do what you gotta do to become a stand out, a character of sorts.

It must work, 'cause here we are talking about him... wink

DF
Posted By: country_20boy Re: Petzal - 01/23/20
I like his dry humor and his writing. I don't always agree with this opinion, but that's everyone..... He has probably forgotten more about rifles than I will ever know.
Posted By: TomM1 Re: Petzal - 01/24/20
I grew up reading Field and Stream and was put off by him at first. Through the years I’ve grown to like his writing and dislike of M70’s in a Stockholm-syndrome sort of way. If you can’t appreciate good writing and humor because someone likes a different brand rifle, knife, etc than you...you have bigger problems.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Petzal - 03/01/20
He turned me off for good when his so called dry wit slandered the Vice President of the United States.

I respect the office of Vice-President as much as anybody, but I'm sure whatever Petzal said about Joe Biden, Joe Biden deserved it!

Sycamore
Posted By: jwall Re: Petzal - 03/01/20
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

You need to read the article. The only Hoppes he mentions Benchrest Copper Bore Cleaner. Not an 80s product from my memory anyway.

I agree with him on nylon brushes. Copper is much better.

Nylon brushes ? huh. When did they make those ?
shocked , whistle
All mine are copper !

You’re not cleaning Teflon coated bores R U ? crazy
grin
Posted By: Quak Re: Petzal - 03/01/20
I’ve met him...at shot a number of years ago. Great guy...I enjoy his writing and sense of humor very much.

Imho he is the last great writer of his generation...one of my top 3.

Some people don’t get him or his humor. That speaks to their intelligence and lack of education
Originally Posted by Sycamore

I respect the office of Vice-President as much as anybody, but I'm sure whatever Petzal said about Joe Biden, Joe Biden deserved it!

Sycamore

Likely it was Cheney shooting a hunting partner in the face being referenced. Dave was critical of a hunter shooting his companion in the face with a 12 gauge. Crazy right?
Posted By: Filaman Re: Petzal - 03/01/20
A guy like Dave Petzal has a right to sound a little arrogant, though I don't think he really is. I've been reading him as long as he's been writing. He does remind me of Warren Page a little. Both of them are very knowledgeable. I would love to meet him and talk for a few.
Posted By: WAM Re: Petzal - 03/01/20
Never saw a copper bore brush? Bronze yes, copper no....
Posted By: Goosey Re: Petzal - 03/01/20
Originally Posted by Quak
Likely it was Cheney shooting a hunting partner in the face being referenced. Dave was critical of a hunter shooting his companion in the face with a 12 gauge. Crazy right?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Petzal - 03/01/20
Originally Posted by fremont
You're not a curmudgeon when you back it up by knowing your schit. Always one of my favorites, both on TV and print.

Search Results
DICTIONARY
Search for a word
cur·mudg·eon
/kərˈməjən/
Learn to pronounce
noun
a bad-tempered person, especially an old one.
Similar:
bad-tempered person
Posted By: sixfive Re: Petzal - 03/01/20
I really enjoy Mr. Petzal's writing. I always enjoy reading his article "The Ten Commandments of Elk Hunting". I have contemplated putting a copy of it on my reloading room's wall.
Posted By: Vinootz Re: Petzal - 03/01/20
I've enjoyed watching Mr.Petzal on screen and reading his writings. The hunting/shooting culture is lucky to have such men sharing their knowledge. Personally I wish more people were as frank as he is. No doubt in today's thin skinned world some may be sensitive to his verbal manner. When I was young you were indoctrinated to appreciate no nonsense mentoring. You were also taught to interpret helpful input and not misinterpret those with unique communicating skills. As is the case with Mr. Petzal. Sorry kiddies but mommy is not going to always be there to sugar coat everything for you. lol And a great big giant THANK YOU MR.PETZAL is in order.
One more thing: Some may call others a curmudgeon. I say you can learn a lot from a curmudgeon. Many of them are merely no nonsense types and willing to stand against the consensus-which often is a good thing. I wish there were more curmudgeons around to learn from.
When I call someone a curmudgeon...it’s meant as a compliment!
Posted By: Kellywk Re: Petzal - 03/01/20

Sycamore

He pizzed off Biden one time by writing that Biden acted as if he’d had a history of head injuries. Biden’s staff asked for an apology saying Biden really did have a serious head injury so he gave one that one Biden sound worse than in the original article
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Petzal - 03/01/20
Originally Posted by Kellywk

Sycamore

He pizzed off Biden one time by writing that Biden acted as if he’d had a history of head injuries. Biden’s staff asked for an apology saying Biden really did have a serious head injury so he gave one that one Biden sound worse than in the original article

grin
Posted By: reivertom Re: Petzal - 03/01/20
If he wasn't eccentric and a bit of a curmudgeon, He would be as non-remarkable as a lot of other gun writers we only read for data and not for entertainment.
Posted By: utah708 Re: Petzal - 03/01/20
I bought a rifle from him some years back--an ULA IN 7in WBY. The barrel was shot out so I had Melvin rebarreled it to .257 WBY. But before I knew the barrel was toast I emailed Dave and he kindly sent me loading data.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Petzal - 03/01/20

Sycamore

Actually a 28 ga. Perazzi.O/U.

DF
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Petzal - 03/08/20
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by fremont

Search Results
DICTIONARY
Search for a word
cur·mudg·eon
/kərˈməjən/
Learn to pronounce
noun
a bad-tempered person, especially an old one.
Similar:
bad-tempered person

I've used that term in my sig line for over 15 years - and always figured it meant "Grouchy Old Phart" !
smile smile smile
Posted By: shootbrownelk Re: Petzal - 03/08/20

If you mean Dickless Cheney, who could possibly slander that draft dodging SOB? Too chickenshit to go fight for his country, but more than happy to send others overseas to fight & die. I can't wait for that energizer bunny to croak, I'll throw a glad you're going away party.
Posted By: 1Akshooter Re: Petzal - 03/09/20
Ok ok ok. I am a patriot and always will be. Dick Cheney and a bunch of others to include many presidents are not true patriots. Many were in one way or another a draft dodger and few since Eisenhauer served in combat. I think the elder Bush did. Most of them were in the reserves and made sure their children were and out of harms way.

When we stopped having generals being killed in battle, things took a turn for the worse. It became to easy to send young off to war. When we stopped having a bunch of combat veterans in our senate and house, it became to easy to send young men off to war.

Lord please bring our nation good leaders, fearless leaders, leaders with a warriors heart. Leaders who have been "down range".

I enjoy most of what Petzel writes.
Posted By: baxterb Re: Petzal - 03/10/20
Who?
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Petzal - 03/10/20
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Sycamore

DF

It might have been wrong, but it was classy!
Posted By: boatammo Re: Petzal - 03/10/20
Never seen a copper bore brush. But sure use a lot of bronze brushes! I must be an old far?
Posted By: GF1 Re: Petzal - 03/11/20
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Sycamore

DF

It was an MX28 SCO grade
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Petzal - 03/11/20
Steve Barnett will sell you one. This SCO is Galeazzi engraved with extra barrels.

Not sure if Cheney's was this fancy, but he for sure could afford it.

https://stevebarnettfineguns.com/pe...co-galeazzi-eng-2-barrel-set-41028-gauge

DF
Posted By: GF1 Re: Petzal - 03/11/20
That one is not an MX28, it’s an MX8-20 with 28 and .410 barrels. That one weighs well over a pound more than the 28 gauge receiver. Were it an MX28, like Cheney’s, it would bring north of $40,000.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Petzal - 03/11/20
Originally Posted by GF1
That one is not an MX28, it’s an MX8-20 with 28 and .410 barrels. That one weighs well over a pound more than the 28 gauge receiver. Were it an MX28, like Cheney’s, it would bring north of $40,000.

Thanks,

I underestimated the man's gun.

Cheney could afford any gun out there.

DF
Posted By: Papag Re: Petzal - 03/23/20
I read all of his columns as we have many of the same beliefs. I also like Bill Heavey who exemplifies my ineptitude in the woods lately. Chill, haters. Most of these guys write from experience and today, anything can be checked for accuracy and truth.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Petzal - 03/23/20
Generally I like Petzal's articles, and his humor. His review of the Kimber 84M Montana about 15 yrs ago is what got me looking at them, and buying one. And he used to work in comments on Hillary quite a bit.
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Petzal - 03/24/20
I enjoy reading Petzal. He is a bit acerbic, but he's a thinking man with a lot of experience. I appreciate that.
Posted By: oldwoody2 Re: Petzal - 04/02/20
John, I totally agree with your description of Petzal. He doesn't need to kiss anyone ass to be liked. Common sense is in short supply. WE SHOULD EMBRACE IT !!!
Posted By: haazrob Re: Petzal - 04/02/20
I thoroughly enjoy his sarcasm and his style of writing.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Petzal - 04/02/20
boatammo (and others),

I suspect Dave meant copper-based brushes. Bronze is mostly copper.

Am sure he knows the difference, and based on long experience with magazine editors also know some of them would not.
Posted By: Dobegrant Re: Petzal - 04/03/20
I like him both his writing style and on tv
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Petzal - 04/03/20
I figure that most of the people who dislike him had one of their favorite oxen gored by him at some point.
© 24hourcampfire