Home
Posted By: rflshtr Mauser model 18 rifle - 01/24/20
Anybody have any experience with this budget style rifle? Pros/Cons appreciated.

Specifically wondering about the stock and need for bedding. Quite a few reviews from about a year ago when it was introduced but not much recent info that I can find.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Mauser model 18 rifle - 01/24/20
I handled one in 6.5 CM at Academy Sports a couple months back, pretty nice rifle, and I was shocked it was marked down to clearance.
Posted By: BEN243 Re: Mauser model 18 rifle - 01/24/20
I bought one last year in 243 ... I didn't touch the bedding at all and the rifle is extremely accurate with my handloads. If it wasn't for a serious eye problem, I'd buy another one in a larger caliber. If you are looking for a good deal, try Eurooptic.com. Ben
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Mauser model 18 rifle - 01/24/20
My review of the Mauser 18 just appeared in the January/February issue of SPORTS AFIELD. The rifle I tested is a 7mm Remington Magnum, which was very accurate right out of the box, though I did adjust the trigger a little. It has a number of interesting features, including holding 5 belted magnums in its magazine, unlike the 3 of most bolt-actions.
Posted By: rflshtr Re: Mauser model 18 rifle - 01/24/20
Thanks for the all the replies. MD, I just located the Jan/Feb issue of Sports Afield. I take it you were favorably impressed enough to keep it at that price point..

I had read an earlier review by someone else which suggested that the stock might need to be pillar bedded if the gun was to be used as a hunter and not just shot off a bench, That was the original basis of my questions.

Do you believe the stock will work as is for field shooting using various rests?
Posted By: BradD Re: Mauser model 18 rifle - 01/27/20
To add to the earlier replies, I picked up one in .270 and really like the stock fit and the trigger, and everything seems to function perfect. I'm very happy with it so far and it appears to be a good rifle for the money.

I can squeeze the tip of the forend into the barrel with some effort but don't know if that will be a problem. So far the groups at 100 yards with Federal and Nosler ammo have been between .4 and 1 inch and seem to be shrinking, maybe because I'm getting more comfortable with it. I'm not a well-practiced bench shooter and have mostly used old lever actions with aperture sights.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Mauser model 18 rifle - 01/27/20
rfishtr,

The stock will work fine as-is. The front end of the action sits in a bedding block, and the rear end in the solid part of the synthetic stock.
Posted By: Tannhauser Re: Mauser model 18 rifle - 01/27/20
I wish Mauser had made the M18 in 6.5x55. I’d love a factory 6.5x55 at the discounted prices I’m seeing.
Posted By: rflshtr Re: Mauser model 18 rifle - 01/27/20
Order one in 6.5 PRC like I did. Thanks for all the comments.
© 24hourcampfire