Home
Posted By: nontipical Rem 700 classic - 02/08/20
I am having trouble finding a scope with tube long enough to fit. It's a 35 whelen. I have 2 piece base on it. I can't find a one piece mount to move rings closer. And.i don't want to use those offset rings. Any help is appreciated.
Posted By: hanco Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/08/20
I use Talley bases and rings on my 700’s. I don’t have a problem with scopes. What scope are you going to use?
Posted By: Sbrown Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/08/20
Mines a 250 Savage with a Swarovski 3 -10 X 42 Habicht with Talley rings and mounts
Hope this helps.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Posted By: rcbergs Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/08/20
I fixed the problem with a picatinny rail type mount. It is not a one piece system but it worked. You have the multiple slots to work with so you can move your rings to suit your needs.The rail mount enabled me to move my scope rearward to obtain a full field of view without creeping up on the scope.
Posted By: Tannhauser Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/08/20
For my Rem 700 Classic I had to go with a one piece Picatinny rail so I could easily mount a scope at the proper eye relief.
Posted By: BeardHunter Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/08/20
I just put a 1.5-8 Razor HD LH on a 700ks 338 win mag with Burris Xtr 2 piece bases and the Vortex/Seekins 1” rings. Most of my long action remingtons have something similar. Those bases hug the receiver pretty tight and allow a little more leeway than Talley lightweights with an extended front.
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/08/20
What scope do you want to use? Any of the great older M8 Leupold fixed power scopes (which would be great on your Whelen) will fit fine. So will a 1.5x5 Vari-X III, which I what I have on mine (but mine's a Mauser, two piece bases.)
All of my 700’s have 4.5x14 Leupolds. They work great with Talleys. I would like to have a 300 H&H Classic
Posted By: TRexF16 Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/08/20
Something like this? Gotta fit.
[img]https://www.gunsamerica.com/923023579/Leupold-M8-4X-scope.htm[/img]
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/08/20
I have a M8 6x42 on the .250, a M8 4x on the .300 Savage, and a M8 12x on the long action 6.5 Rem Mag. (Not catalogued, but pretty cool with a 26" stainless barrel.) No issues with fit on any of them.
Posted By: Swede65 Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/08/20

This is what I have on my gun. It has been great with all kinds of Scopes over the years.

https://www.egwguns.com/remington-700-721-725-sauer-100-101-long-action-picatinny-rail-0-moa
Rails look ugly on a nice rifle. They are ok on a plastic stock rifle, I guess.
Posted By: Swede65 Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/08/20
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I use mine because it's the best mount across-the-board for all my Scopes and it doesn't look that bad.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/08/20
If you use or like Weaver for 2 piece, instead of using the 36 rear & 35 front,, use a 40a front & reverse it if you have to.

For Weaver type in steel, & slot location, use Warne. The rear has an offset slot ,& the front has 2 slots. A ton of ring location options here.
Posted By: Filaman Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/08/20
I have the same type EGW that fits the old style 110 Savage action on my Savage 110 7 Mag. It makes mounting any scope a breeze and any kind of claw rings of the proper width work great. It's solid and simple which makes for accuracy.
Posted By: Filaman Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/08/20
Originally Posted by hanco
Rails look ugly on a nice rifle. They are ok on a plastic stock rifle, I guess.

Yeah maybe, but I put looks second to dependable accuracy and ease of a good fit. I love my rails. I have three rifles with rails, an AR of course, an old '66 model 70 Non CRF, and an old style Savage 110 7 mag. These rifles shoot good and I don't have to worry about POI shifting. They're solid as a rock.
Posted By: nontipical Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/08/20
I would like to put a leoupold vxII IN 3X9 on it. I may put a redfield widefield on it. I know this will fit cause it has long tube.
Posted By: JGray Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/08/20
I have a 700 Classic 35 Whelen with a 1-4x20 mounted in Warne rings and 2 piece bases - works well for me...
Posted By: Tannhauser Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/08/20
If you are going to mount a scope on a long action using rings only and not even considering offset rings, then you will be mounting your scope relatively far forward.

I found doing it this way on my 700 Classic, where my head sits on the stock made it impossible to a hive proper eye relief. I could not move my scope far enough back to suit my head position.

A one piece rail solves this problem by allowing me to position my s I’ve in the right spot. It doesn’t have the classic lines of simple rings but it is far more adjustable. Plus it’s easier to swap scopes.
Posted By: Clynn Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/09/20
Originally Posted by Tannhauser
If you are going to mount a scope on a long action using rings only and not even considering offset rings, then you will be mounting your scope relatively far forward.

I found doing it this way on my 700 Classic, where my head sits on the stock made it impossible to a hive proper eye relief. I could not move my scope far enough back to suit my head position.

A one piece rail solves this problem by allowing me to position my s I’ve in the right spot. It doesn’t have the classic lines of simple rings but it is far more adjustable. Plus it’s easier to swap scopes.

This 👍
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/09/20
Don't use a rail on that gun, it looks ugly that way. Simply get longer bases, or a longer-tubed scope.

Any Leupold fixed will work. Most "normal" 3-9 like a Burris Fullfield will work. A new Redfield Revolution will work.
Posted By: hanco Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/09/20
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Don't use a rail on that gun, it looks ugly that way. Simply get longer bases, or a longer-tubed scope.

Any Leupold fixed will work. Most "normal" 3-9 like a Burris Fullfield will work. A new Redfield Revolution will work.

Thank you, they are really nice, wood reminds me of older Sako L-61’s. That’s like putting a receiver hitch on a corvette.
Posted By: nontipical Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/09/20
I would never put a rail system on it. Gonna order the Leupold 1 piece 1362186461. Forgot I had a 700 mountain rifle in 270. That's what I have on it.
Posted By: nontipical Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/09/20
I love the 250 savage cartridge. Have one in a 99. Would love to have one in the Classic.
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/09/20
Took my first pronghorn in 2001 with the .250 Classic. Friends said, "You need more gun than that". I didn't. It's death on groundhogs and deer, too, in addition to being a nice looking, nice handling rifle.
Posted By: PennDog Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/11/20
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Thank you, they are really nice, wood reminds me of older Sako L-61’s. That’s like putting a receiver hitch on a corvette.

Fully agree - just last week had to talk a friend’s nephew out of putting a rail on a Steyr Model M😬 because he thought he needed that rail to get the proper scope placement - it would have worked and is certainly the cheapest way to go. Ended up getting him some S&K mounts and we could turn the bases around to get the eye relief needed - cost a little more but looked 100% better to me and worked perfectly fine. Understand to each their own but damn there has to be some civility😄

PennDog
Posted By: Bugger Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/11/20
I collect 700 Classics. The long action Classics I have mostly have Leupold bases (or Leupold look a likes). I don't have a problem with what you are writing about. I think they are the following, M8-4x, M8-6x, VXI, VX2 or VX3i and one has a vintage Redfield 3x9 - maybe a Varix III also.

I don't particularly like short scopes because they have to be mounted to far forward for me. I don't mind using older scopes and if you're needing a longer scope that would be an option.
Posted By: hanco Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/13/20
No rails for old men!
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/13/20
Nontipical: Most all of my Remington 700 Classics are "short-actions" but my 700 Classic in 7mm Remington Magnum I use a lot has a one piece base and a Leupold 3.5x10 (with A/O) and it worked out fine for me.
So that is one suggestion for a scope there.
I also prefer one piece bases on all my Hunting Rifles.
Good luck in your search and I will relay this quickly - the 35 Whelen is a fine Elk cartridge.
I have been along on two different Hunts with two different friends of mine on "special draw Elk tags" in the Missouri Breaks country of Montana.
Both Hunters used Remington 700 Classics in 35 Whelen to take TROPHY 6x6 and 6x7 Bull Elk.
Both were one shot kills BTW - although in full disclosure one of those Hunters "completely missed" on a overly long shot on a walking along Bull in a horrendous cross wind.
I tried to talk my friend out of trying the shot at all but the "trophy bull" he was aiming at just overwhelmed his common sense.
Thankfully that big bull was not struck at all by that ill advised shot.
Again good luck in your quest.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: reivertom Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/14/20
Originally Posted by nontipical
I am having trouble finding a scope with tube long enough to fit. It's a 35 whelen. I have 2 piece base on it. I can't find a one piece mount to move rings closer. And.i don't want to use those offset rings. Any help is appreciated.

I had this problem on several rifles, so I bought Leupold scopes that had generous eye relief....problem solved. I especially had trouble on my model 99 Savage .243. It is limited in adjustments and I settled with a fixed power scope with 4 inches plus, eye relief. It worked out fine. For some reason...maybe the way I'm built, I have problems with eye relief, so it took some trial and error.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/15/20
Mine is a Whelen and has a VariX 2.5 to 8 in low rings. Fits me perfect as far forward as it will go. I am 6'5 though. It is my favorite stock pattern and If I am serious about killing something it is what I carry.
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/19/20
Perfection!
Posted By: 257Bob Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/19/20
I used Talley steel vertical split rings for two decades, I recently switched to the lightweights on my new rifles and they have just a bit of offset, I'm quite happy with them and they way they look.
Posted By: MoranoGrande Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/21/20
I've used Leupold Dual Dovetail Reversible Front Bases and rings on long action 700s and really liked them.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hanco Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/03/22
Originally Posted by MoranoGrande
I've used Leupold Dual Dovetail Reversible Front Bases and rings on long action 700s and really liked them.

[Linked Image]

The dual dove tails are great, don’t like the mounts with the windage screws.
Posted By: MAC Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/03/22
I have a 700 classic in 6.5x55 Swedish and another in 375 H&H. I used to have one in 350 Rem Mag. I put Leupold bases and rings on all 3 and they worked well.
Posted By: Huntz Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/03/22
Originally Posted by Sbrown
Mines a 250 Savage with a Swarovski 3 -10 X 42 Habicht with Talley rings and mounts
Hope this helps.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Its also a short action.
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: Rem 700 classic - 02/03/22
Originally Posted by gunzo
If you use or like Weaver for 2 piece, instead of using the 36 rear & 35 front,, use a 40a front & reverse it if you have to.

This^^^!!!!!!!

All of my L/A M700’s have a 40a in front…….
© 24hourcampfire