Home
I have a Ruger Hawkeye in 257 Robert's that I haven't done much load development for.
I found an 80gr ttsx load for it, and it has 4 antelope to its name, the furthest was 550 yards.
Who's loading what, and shooting what with it ?
Here's a link with 257R info and data.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11443832/1

DF
I’m using Sierra Game Kings and Nosler Accubonds over IMR-4350. I can’t recall the powder weight, off hand. Both shoot very well. I’ve taken one buck so far with it so far. Mine is also a Ruger Hawkeye that I really like.
Because it's a dying cartridge--even though it makes big game die quite well.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Should we sound taps ? shocked

grin Jerry
Originally Posted by splattermatic
Why so little talk about 257 Robert's loads ?

I think there’s an incredible amount of 257 Rob load talk on this forum, relative to its general obscurity in the wider non-looney world.
Why........???? In this era if it’s not gaymoor people don’t listen.
Mine's a project Model 70 in a LA configuration. 117-grainers and targets for me with H4831,
Its living quite well imo.

Well, it's certainly taking its own sweet time about it.

Actually, I think,we're in a sort of Golden Age of cartridge availability. Seems like with a little effort, a feller can use just about anything that tickles his fancy, even if he doesn't handload, courtesy of the outfits here that load obscure cartridges, and the Yurrupean companies like Prvi and S&B. Hornady does pretty well keeping stuff fed too.

Good times.
Here's a good place to start... type in 257 Rob Loads:

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=016407629494559605640:xponie3lspc
I have a Ruger M77 MkII in 257 Roberts, it's my favorite deer and antelope rifle. I've taken antelope to 400 yards give or take a couple. My deer hunting is in closer cover so the furthest I can remember is 200 yards with this years buck roughly 150. All with the classic 100 grain bullet, mine is the Interlock sp, over H4350 at 3050 fps. Part of it's problem goes back to the argument over long or short action rifles and the 257 being more an intermediate. It's been chambered in both, but the heavyer bullets start taking up powder space somewhat in the short action. Since the short action is the darling of many, they look elsewhere.
Thanks all.
Going to try some imr4350, under 100gr bt's.
It's always interesting to me to hear about how the .257 Roberts suffers ballistically from being chambered in so many short-action (or short-magazine) rifles.

Despite my previous comment about the .257 being a dying cartridge (which is true, sales-wise, both in rifles and ammo), right now we have four in the house. The one that's been around the longest is the Remington 722 inherited from my paternal grandmother, which Eileen used when she started hunting. The 722's magazine was the prototype for all the short-action magazines since, being slightly over 2.8 inches long. Yet this rifle will easily get 3150 fps with 100-grain bullets, using published +P data--which is limited to 58,000 PSI. It also easily gets 2950-3000 fps with 115-120 grain bullets.

So does Eileen's Ultra Light Arms Model 20. Its magazine is a little longer, 2.95 inches, but the standard SAAMI throat length often limits overall length to somewhat less.

The two latest are a pre-'64 Model 70 Winchester with a low 4-digit serial number, and a custom rifle built on a commercial FN Mauser action--which I used because it's another classic bolt action, not because it has a longer magazine.
I like the 257 Roberts, currently have 10 of them, and think that it is a practical varmint and medium game cartridge if you load your own. When I got my first 257 Roberts, Winchester/Olin cataloged 257 Roberts factory ammo with 87, 100, and 117 grain bullets, so the guy who wasn't a handloader had a factory load option if he wanted to shoot varmints. Back then, the dual purpose capability of 0.243" and 0.257" bore rifles was a marketing strategy that firearms sellers were pushing hard.

I've shot a lot of 0.257" component bullets in the 75 thru 120 grain range over the past 50 years and settled on a few that have worked well for me.

75 grain VMax and Sierra HP
87 grain Speer HotCore and TNT
90 grain Sierra HPBT
100 grain BT and Partition
110 grain AB
115 grain Partition
120 grain Partition

I'm not a big monolith bullet guy, but the 80 grain Barnes TTSX looks like it would be a winner too, if you can live with the not so slick 0.316 BC.

6 of my 10 are short actions from Marlin, Remington x4, and Savage. The other 4 are long actions from Mauser x3 and Ruger. The Mausers are military actions, a large ring Venezuelan 24/30 made by FN, a small ring Mexican, and a small ring Swed made by Husqvarna.
Dying cartridge, maybe.

Dead, no way...

Still kicking.

Actually kicking some serious arse....

DF
Jeff,

Eileen has been using 100-grain TTSX's exclusively in her NULA .257 since they appeared in 2004, but she has used the rifle not only for deer and antelope but elk. No doubt a 120 Partition would also work fine on elk (and she used to use them for deer and antelope, along with the 115 Ballistic Tip), but sticking with one load also has virtues.

However, she also knows monos sometimes don't drop animals as quickly as lead-cores, and in fact her biggest mule deer buck of the past several years went around 100 yards after taking one right behind the shoulder. But that was in wide-open sagebrush country. If she wants them to drop right there, she doesn't hesitate to use the spine-shoulder shot.
This .257 Roberts absolutely loves the 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip and 44 grains of H4350 with an OAL of 2.770. I look forward to whacking some deer with this fall.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That'll work!
Neat rifle, cool blanket.

Yep, that'll work.

DF
I would like to have one, but I’ve never seen one in my sheltered life.
Originally Posted by hanco
I would like to have one, but I’ve never seen one in my sheltered life.

Well, I have have three 257 Roberts and I'm going to sell two of them. One is a 1960s vintage commercial Belgian FN 98 with a SSSM PacNor barrel and the other is a Nosler M48 Heritage. Feel free to PM me if you're interested in either.
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
This .257 Roberts absolutely loves the 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip and 44 grains of H4350 with an OAL of 2.770. I look forward to whacking some deer with this fall.

I love your rifle! I have 3 of those 1936 Mexican Small Ring 98s that I've had for 25 years and am just now hoping to get around to building on. One will probably be a .257 Bob AI - since I already have a great Rem 722 in the basic .257 that has accounted for at least 15 deer and pronghorn, AND, because I picked up a Redding 3-die deluxe set for the .257 AI in a pawn shop for $15!
In the 722, I get the same velocities John quoted with the 100 TSX, so I really see no need (the N-word around here, right?) to go the AI route, but I got the dies and it's all for fun anyway, and I have heard that the .257 is one of the AIs that actually does get "improved" a bit by the new shape. Heck, it might also do what my .25-06 already does (there - my loonyism is confirmed).

Regarding the Bob "dying", I think it has already died all it's going to, and kind of like the old guy getting thrown on the dead wagon during the plagues in the Monty Python movie, "[it's] not dead yet...[it's] getting better!"
I think the loonies will keep it alive and every once in awhile some company will offer a factory limited run rifle.
What to do with the other two 1936 Mex? I think one is going to be a 6mm, since my three .243s need a big brother, and I was planning to make one of them a 6.5x55 but I already have a Win 70 FWT (factory chambered) in the Swede , and I'm building a .256 Newton, so that one is still up for grabs.
Sorry to hijack, I know we're supposed to be talking about the Bob since we don't do that enough ;o)
Cheers,
Rex
[i][/i]
Heres my buddy with 2 does he took with my Hawkeye.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This one...lol
I have AI dies, and a reamer.
Have often thought of having it done.
The .257 Roberts is a great cartridge although currently anything Creedmore is all the rage.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
The .257 Roberts is a great cartridge although currently anything Creedmore is all the rage.

I can't say my Creed kills'em any deader than my Roberts, or my Swede...

DF
Hey! I thought this was the back of the bus where all the cool kids ride! Where's the guy with the cigarettes he stole from his Dad and calls this cartridge "Bob"?

Can't believe that didn't show up yet.

An attractive ballistic gap exists between the .250-3000 and the .25-06. Enter "Roberto".

EDIT: Trex became the cool kid with the cigs. Sure took his time, though.
I had a .257 Bob, bought it more than 20 years ago. Grew up reading stories about what a great cartridge it was. Walked into a gun store and the lovely little Browning A-Bolt was on clearance so it went home with me. It sat in the safe forever because I learned it was built on a Short Action so I built myself another on a SR Mexican 98. Before I could het that one stocked I discovered the 6,5x55. It does everything the Bob does and more. Sold the A-Bolt but still have the Mexican barreled action. It'll probably be another twenty years til I stock it. Nothing wrong with it, it's just redundant.
Originally Posted by Brad
Why so little talk about 257 Robert's loads ?

I think there’s an incredible amount of 257 Rob load talk on this forum, relative to its general obscurity in the wider non-looney world.

I think so too. The old .257 Roberts seems to pop up in a thread regular enough for the .257 fans.

It's always interesting to me to hear about how the .257 Roberts suffers ballistically from being chambered in so many short-action (or short-magazine) rifles.

When I stated that heavier bullets start taking up powder space in short actions, I should of finished my thought and didn't, was going to say, in the minds of many. My mistake
We really need more 3" actions for a number of rounds. My Roberts is in a LA and the way it was set up by a real master smith, it's one of the slickest feeding rifles I have, no matter how the rounds are positioned in the box mag.

DF
I hope it's not dead yet. I just sent a Rem 700 LA off to be re-barreled to 257 Roberts. Hopefully I get is back around the time spring gets here.
The factory Remington ammo is no slouch either. I cleanly and easily harvested a fox and mature doe with some. The fox was DRT (no surprise really) and the doe went 40 yards at the most.
Originally Posted by ATC
I hope it's not dead yet. I just sent a Rem 700 LA off to be re-barreled to 257 Roberts. Hopefully I get is back around the time spring gets here.

When you get it back, try a batch of these. The longer COAL will work perfectly. Check out that speed. Definitely puts the whammy on WT's and hogs... Gives the 25-06 a run.

gunner500 calls it a "little buzz saw". He ain't wrong...

DF

I've owned (built) several "Bobs"...….one very fine cartridge.
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Originally Posted by hillbillybear

I love your rifle! I have 3 of those 1936 Mexican Small Ring 98s that I've had for 25 years and am just now hoping to get around to building on. One will probably be a .257 Bob AI - since I already have a great Rem 722 in the basic .257 that has accounted for at least 15 deer and pronghorn, AND, because I picked up a Redding 3-die deluxe set for the .257 AI in a pawn shop for $15!
In the 722, I get the same velocities John quoted with the 100 TSX, so I really see no need (the N-word around here, right?) to go the AI route, but I got the dies and it's all for fun anyway, and I have heard that the .257 is one of the AIs that actually does get "improved" a bit by the new shape. Heck, it might also do what my .25-06 already does (there - my loonyism is confirmed).

Regarding the Bob "dying", I think it has already died all it's going to, and kind of like the old guy getting thrown on the dead wagon during the plagues in the Monty Python movie, "[it's] not dead yet...[it's] getting better!"
I think the loonies will keep it alive and every once in awhile some company will offer a factory limited run rifle.
What to do with the other two 1936 Mex? I think one is going to be a 6mm, since my three .243s need a big brother, and I was planning to make one of them a 6.5x55 but I already have a Win 70 FWT (factory chambered) in the Swede , and I'm building a .256 Newton, so that one is still up for grabs.
Sorry to hijack, I know we're supposed to be talking about the Bob since we don't do that enough ;o)
Cheers,
Rex
[i][/i]

Heckuva deal on those dies.
My go-to antelope getter using 110 gr. AB handloads, tho I usually carry a box of 120 gr. Partition handloads with me as well.
Custom built on a M77 LA and is one sweet shooter.
I've owned a number of Rob's going back 30 years.

My latest:

yes maybe the 257 Roberts may be a dying cartridge but seem to have great resale and sometimes hard to fine probably because many of us hoard them ,i got 5 and still looking for more with a Grin !
I also suspect that there isn't as much discussion of .257 handloads because it's been known for a long time that IMR4350 works great with bullets from 100-120 grains--and since H4350 appeared it also proved to work very well.

Plus, there aren't as many handloaders who use it for varmint shooting, despite Ned Roberts' original primary purpose for the cartridge being woodchucks. The 4350s aren't as good for lighter bullets.
I like what Ned did with a 7x57 case and my first rifle was a Rem. 722. At the time I ran with some guys across the river in Iowa who modified their old pre'64 Model 70s
taking out the magazine block and installed a 30-06 length magazine follower. They thought that was really something. Eventually, peer pressure got to me and I bought a Ruger 77.

My twin 77s.

I used mine on a coyote.

And a couple rabbits.

IIRC,I use a 100 grain Sierra FB in it.
Here are a couple critters taken with my 722 "Bob." As you can see, I got one of those beech M-700 ADL SA stocks and fit to it both to raise the cheek weld and save the original stock. I use a little Leupold 4x compact and that's been all I've needed on it. This is my best pronghorn taken with this rifle. Note the ridge on the left side of the photo, and how on the right side of that ridge there's a steep cliff drop off that then tapers out into a long sloping bench.
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14570614[/img]
Well, it's on that bench, two days later, that I took my best mule deer with this rifle:
[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14570614[/img]
"Goat" was shot at about 180 yards (paced) and the deer at 315 (lasered).
I got this rifle in a local shop for $250 and it's been a good one - I did almost all my hunting for a decade with it, but as I see many fewer seasons in front of me than behind, I am concentrating on enjoying more time with different rifles both at the range and afield.

Cheers,
Rex

EDIT: Did the images wrong but you can still see them. I'll try to figure out how to do it right. upload manager is not showing up for me now.

AAA French,wrap around checkering on forend,love's 100gr TTSX's. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I'll fix your pics for you.

Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I used mine on a coyote.

And a couple rabbits.

Sorta light ordinance for those big ole NM jackwabbits, don’t ya think?

Huge ‘yote.

DF
I'll fix your pics for you.

And the funny thing is I have used pics from the image gallery to upload just fine in the past. I've no idea what I did wrong this time. But thank you for your help!
Rex
There is a Kimber Classic Select with rings and bases for $900 on upland journals classifieds page. I don’t need a second one, so one of you can have it.

But, a backup doesn’t sound terrible for mine....
Ned's old cartridge is a jewel and easy to work with.

Even more fun when you have a rifle as old as yourself to play with.

[quote=sqweeler]AAA French,wrap around checkering on forend,love's 100gr TTSX's. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

-----------------------

Gorgeous
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
I used mine on a coyote.

And a couple rabbits.

Sorta light ordinance for those big ole NM jackwabbits, don’t ya think?

Huge ‘yote.

DF

Stunt shooting. wink
Ken - did a little "stunt shooting", huh?
A little "undergunned" weren't ya?
Regarding the OP's question as to why so little talk about 257 Roberts loads, part of the answer may be that rifle chamber dimensions vary widely. I had a tang-safety Ruger 77 made in 1976 on a long action with a very long throat. My woodchuck load used the 100 grain Speer hollow point bullet so I could get near the lands. The load was 43 grains of RL-15, which would be way too hot in my current Roberts with a short throat.
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Ken - did a little "stunt shooting", huh?
A little "undergunned" weren't ya?

A liitle "undergunned" maybe,it's all about shot placement,Mark. wink
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
The factory Remington ammo is no slouch either. I cleanly and easily harvested a fox and mature doe with some. The fox was DRT (no surprise really) and the doe went 40 yards at the most.

Back when I had a Bob, the factory Rem 117grn ammo was actually my favorite for deer hunting. A close second was a 100TSX ahead of H-4350.
Last year I had "Redneck" build me my version of the perfect deer & hog rifle. I used a Winchester push feed action with a Bartlein # 0 contour finished at 21.5". I used a McMillan Sako Classic in edge and I achieved exactly what I was looking for.

Link to pics: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...cs/14420489/custom-257-rbts#Post14420489

I have been hunting with a .257 Rbts since 1992. I have 3 in the stable right now. My first, the 700 Mtn rifle has taken everything from antelope, cow elk, numerous whitetails & hogs. I have used plenty of bullets too from 100 gr. ballistic tips & Hrndy SP, Barnes "X" , TSX & TTSX; 115 gr BT's & Partitions; 117 Hrndy up to the 120 Partition. Now a days I am almost an exclusive user of 100 TTSX bullets. To give me something to tinker with in the new custom, I plan to work up loads with the 90 gr. GMX, doubt it will kill things any deader than the 100 TTSX but it gives me a spring & summer project grin
C-Roy, what's the barrel? Looks like a modified Fwt of some sort? What's it mic at the muzzle?

Thanks.
Bartlein # 0 contour it is a modified Fwt. The 21.5" bbl mics 0.600 on the nose @ the muzzle. I really like the contour a lot
It's a dying chambering, indeed. But, if you have one, it's always going to be roughly the equivalent of the 6.5CM/.260Rem with medium-weight big game bullets. A deer or hog at typical hunting ranges is not going to recognize any difference between a 120gr load at 2,850fps from a Roberts and a 120-130gr load at a similar speed from a Creedmoor. Put the same quality bullet in both, and they are indistinguishable.

I think the Roberts "belongs" in a pretty walnut rifle like the Kimber Select, and not much will shrug off a 120gr Partition in the chest.

I know it doesn't sell well so I bought 2 new ones in the last year to pump it up a bit. If can't find ammo or cases in the future. maybe I'll rebarrel them to the much more popular 7x57. I only have 1 of those.
I've only had two....a 1982 Mod 700 Classic I had reamed to the Ackley (my first Improved) and I used the old Hornady 120HP seated way out. I used IMR 4350 too. I sold it, then, 10yrs later bought it back. My friend had cut the barrel off to 21" and it never felt the same. I had a 25-06 Mountain Rifle takeoff barrel put on. ...Later in life, I tried a Hawkeye 77 .257R and just could not seem to get better than 1 3/4" with several weights/styles. I traded it off. I see the Creedmoor as a "modern" .257 Roberts (popularity, marketing, heavier bullets, etc) I still think the 257 Ackley has the "cutest case". lol
My two....Mostly shooting 100 Hot-Cor, H4895....100 NPT, H4350....110 NAB, H4350....... Also have some 120 NPT and 100 TTSX that I haven't worked with at all.

[Linked Image]
Been a Roberts fan since the early '70's. My current favorite is a BACO FWT launching 120gr Speer Deep Curls at about 2950fps. #2 is an XTR FWT, 100gr Hornadys.

If I were starting today, I'd probably go with a 6.5CM which, as has been said, has identical ballistics with bullets of 120gr and less. But I have too much material and emotion invested in the Bob to change now.
Originally Posted by 308ld
My two....Mostly shooting 100 Hot-Cor, H4895....100 NPT, H4350....110 NAB, H4350....... Also have some 120 NPT and 100 TTSX that I haven't worked with at all.

[Linked Image]

Wood on that #1 is super. Factory?

DF
I have two rifles chambered to "The Bob", a Ruger #1B which is a sub MOA rifle with Norma factory 100 gr. loads. Too bad Norma doesn't load the "Bob" anymore. The other is a Winchester M70 XTR Featherweight that so far has been rather disappointing. My son in law has that same rifle and I did his load work up for it before teaching him how to do it himself. He wanted the 100 gr. TSX bullet and using H4350 worked up a load that does a bit under an inch. That same load in my rifle is more like a shotgun pattern. I tried 120 gr. Speer SPFB bullets and they weren't any better. I've been way too busy with other rifle projects so just haven't gotten back to the "Bob".
Since for the moment my doc has forbidden me to shoot any hard kicking rifles, I just may have to start playing with that rifle again. I was in a vehicle crash on January 2, 2020 that totaled my new truck and fractured my sternum. Nothing like starting the New year off right. I thought about doing the .223 Rem. or maybe the .243 but the more I think about it mayber I see what "Mr Bob" can do.
Paul B.
Sorry to hear about your accident. The Roberts can be loaded down to 250 Savage levels and still kill deer very well.
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
Sorry to hear about your accident. The Roberts can be loaded down to 250 Savage levels and still kill deer very well.

The Roberts hardly kicks with full powered 100's, not bad with 117's and 120's.

DF
My 257 Roberts - 98 Mauser action

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/121996.jpeg

Loads that shoot 1 MOA or less at 100 yards:

100 grain Hornady Interlock - 46 grains IMR4451 - WW brass - CCI 200 primers

Nosler 115BT H4350 - 45 gr WW Brass CCI200

87 grain Hornady 50 gr IMR4350 Win LR

87 grain CT 50 grain IMR4350 WW Brass Win LR

87 grain CT ? gr RE15
We really need more 3" actions for a number of rounds. My Roberts is in a LA and the way it was set up by a real master smith, it's one of the slickest feeding rifles I have, no matter how the rounds are positioned in the box mag.

DF

There's still a few Yugos floating around that won't break the bank. They aren't full length actions and are designed for the 57 MM case which still allows seating bullets out further than the Remington 700 Short Action. I built my AI on one. However I would like to make a recommendation. Don't use the Ackley Improved reamer. Try to find the RCBS reamer. It doesn't have quite the angle on the shoulder and the rounds will chamber better than the Ackley without any alteration. I had to file a little off the inside of the extractor to make the Ackley work.The amount of powder difference is negligible with the RCBS. If I had it to do over again that's what I'd use. Doesn't look quite as sexy as the Ackley, but I'm more into function than looks.
The good thing about the improved .257 is you can shoot the heavier bullets faster out of it. I use 115 grain Combined Technology bullets in mine and get 3000+ FPS MV with it. That puts it close to .25-06 performance. With 115 grain CT Partitions I wouldn't be afraid to try it on elk, something I wouldn't do with 100 grain bullets.

[Linked Image]

DF

Yes Sir, factory 1985 vintage.

[Linked Image]

DF

Yes Sir, factory 1985 vintage.

I thought my red pad 220 Swift was pretty good, believe yours is better, more contrast and color.

DF

[/quote]
I thought my red pad 220 Swift was pretty good, believe yours is better, more contrast and color.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][/quote]

I don't know, there are no flies on that 220. Is that a 26" 1V?
My Ruger 77 MKII is a standard rifle, bedded in a Hawkeye stock. With Hybrid 100V it shoots the 100 Nosler BT at about 3250 fps. I am by no means a long-range shooter, but a while back from an improvised rest I went 5 for 5 on a steel torso at 550 yards, using the tapered bottom post of my crosshairs for an aim point. I have free-floated the barrel and tweaked the trigger. The only thing this rifle needs is more brass.

[img]https://previews.dropbox.com/p/thum...w/p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5[/img]
[/quote]

DF

I don't know, there are no flies on that 220. Is that a 26" 1V?
[/quote]
Yep.

Kepplinger trigger that I installed. Bought it from Brownells before they got so expensive.

DF
Originally Posted by sqweeler
AAA French,wrap around checkering on forend,love's 100gr TTSX's. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Fantastic!

I've been using a R77 in .257 since '86 for coyotes on up. It's still one of my favorites. I dumped a truckload of coyotes with the 75gr Hornady HP. I believe using IMR 4064 if I remember correctly. I've used 100's up to 120's. All were accurate enough for hunting, not a single load I've tried was impressive from the bench.
Originally Posted by Filaman

DF

There's still a few Yugos floating around that won't break the bank. They aren't full length actions and are designed for the 57 MM case which still allows seating bullets out further than the Remington 700 Short Action. I built my AI on one. However I would like to make a recommendation. Don't use the Ackley Improved reamer. Try to find the RCBS reamer. It doesn't have quite the angle on the shoulder and the rounds will chamber better than the Ackley without any alteration. I had to file a little off the inside of the extractor to make the Ackley work.The amount of powder difference is negligible with the RCBS. If I had it to do over again that's what I'd use. Doesn't look quite as sexy as the Ackley, but I'm more into function than looks.

I had Ray Montgomery rechamber a Savage 99CD from 250-3000 to 257AI a couple of decades ago. Ray recommended going with the standard 257 because he was concerned that the 40-degree shoulder of the AI case would feed poorly. I still believed that a little extra case capacity would result in a meaningful increase in velocity, so I ignored Ray's advice and had him make it a 257AI. It feeds OK, but probably not as smoothly as it would have without the sharp shoulder.

I think that if I was going to build a 257 Roberts or 257AI on a long action, I'd choose the path of least resistance and make it a 25-06 instead.
Filaman,

I got considerably more velocity out of the .257 AI when I was using one 20 years ago, but I was more of hot-rodder then.

But have also gotten 2950-3000 fps out of 115-120 grain bullets in the standard .257 with modern powders by adding only a grain or so to +P data.

However, eventually sold my .257 AI because even with 115s at 3100 and 100s at 3300, I never could tell any difference in trajectory or "killing power."
I have had five rifles chambered for the Roberts but down to two now, both Hawkeyes, though one is matte blued and the other is gloss blued. Both have the same Leupold 2.5-8x36 scopes and look like peas in a pod. The only difference is the gloss blued rifle was bought second hand and had been long throated by the previous owner. When the same load is fired in both rifles with the bullets sat 30 thou off the lands, the velocity of the long throated rifle (LTR) is about 150 fps less than the standard throated rifle (STR) (100gn Hornady and 47gn H4350). It takes 49gn H4350 to reach the same velocity in the LTR as the STR indicating pressures should be about the same. However, it just seems a bit weird to be loading 49gn H4350 in the Bob, with 100gn bullets, so I tend to load 48gn meaning I settled for lower velocity in the LTR (STR 47gn H4350/100gn/3150 fps, LTR 48gn H4350/100gn/3090 fps). I guess this seems to go against the whole premise of long throating a rifle, i.e. to get more velocity. The throat has only been lengthened about 3 or 4 millimetres but it has had quite an impact on the velocity.

Both rifles have been bedded, floated and had the triggers worked and will shoot three shots into about 1/2 an inch or a wee bit more at 100m attesting to the quality of Ruger barrels. The other Roberts rifles I've owned were a rebarrelled Featherweight which I had rechambered to .25-06, a Ruger M77 in 95% condition which I had rebarrelled to 7x64 and a Ruger Ultralight that I had rebarrelled to .257 AI.

I guess the .257 Roberts is fading away but if you have a rifle and a set of dies you are good to go. There must still be a few fans here in Australia as when the shops get a supply of brass in every couple of years it disappears in a week or two. I have a 100 cases for each rifle (2 x Roberts and 1 x 257 AI) and have five bags of Winchester brass sitting on my shelf. With cartridges that are not that popular I tend to buy cases when I see them, not when I need them, so always have some on hand.
These days, seems the Roberts is a reloader’s round.

Not so much with new rounds, like the Creed. Very consistent ammo quality and reasonably priced. And the rifles are chambered with consistency, twisted right for the new bullets.

But it’s hard to not like the Roberts. I like mine.

DF
One thing that really annoys me is that some of the ammo companies are still loading factory loads with a 117gn round noise at about 2650 fps. I think Remington and Winchester still do this last time I checked. Why not load a nice 100gn spitzer at 3000 fps? I guess the old sedate loads still sell as people buy them for the brass so no need for the companies to energise themselves a little bit and bring out a new load.
Filaman,

I got considerably more velocity out of the .257 AI when I was using one 20 years ago, but I was more of hot-rodder then.

But have also gotten 2950-3000 fps out of 115-120 grain bullets in the standard .257 with modern powders by adding only a grain or so to +P data.

However, eventually sold my .257 AI because even with 115s at 3100 and 100s at 3300, I never could tell any difference in trajectory or "killing power."

MD: I believe it was an article written by you many moons ago that convinced me to try the 257AI. IIRC you built an AI because the standard Roberts wouldn't get you up to 3000 fps with 120gr bullets. Is my memory correct?

In any case, i love my "Better Bob" and am still using it today.
In my .257 AI with 23 inch barrel I get just about 3000 fps with the 115gn Ballistic Tip. I load Nosler's load of 50.5gn H4831. This is about 120 fps more than I get in a standard 22 inch barrelled Roberts with the same bullet. I just took it out west a couple of weeks ago and scored nine kills with nine shots and it killed the pigs just as good as the standard Roberts.

The reason I ended up with the AI version was I bought a .257 Roberts Ruger Ultralight in 'perfect' condition online. It was indeed in perfect condition ……...…. on the outside but the barrel was pitted in patches along the entire length. The previous owner had apparently never heard of gun oil despite living in the humid weather of north Australia. So I was going to get my gunsmith to rebarrel it with a standard Bob barrel but remembered he had an AI reamer so I went that way just to try something different (I already had two other Bobs in the safe) and I guess all rifle looneys should try at least one improved cartridge once in their lives.

So whether or not the AI version will be better than the standard Roberts remains to be seen...……...BUT, I must admit I had immense fun in fireforming 50 cases for it. I remember 20 years ago watching a mate fireforming 22-250 AI cases and the memory must have stuck in the back part of my brain. Loading a standard Roberts cartridge and then ejecting a nice shiny fireformed AI case was one of the best handloading experiences I can remember doing. It seems as I get older simple things can still amuse me. I remember feeling a bit disappointed as I fireformed the last case.
Originally Posted by Elvis
One thing that really annoys me is that some of the ammo companies are still loading factory loads with a 117gn round noise at about 2650 fps. I think Remington and Winchester still do this last time I checked. Why not load a nice 100gn spitzer at 3000 fps? I guess the old sedate loads still sell as people buy them for the brass so no need for the companies to energise themselves a little bit and bring out a new load.

Winchester used to have a 100g factory load. I used it some and found it very accurate in the Win. FWT I had at the time. Like most things .257 R. it probably didn't sell well enough to keep it going.
Mule Deer speaks the truth but having said that, my four 257’s do not require life support things shot them don’t either their dead!
My collection of 257 Roberts rifles includes a pre-64 standard grade, a Ruger 1 much like one you had some years back, a 257 Ackley built on a pre-war action and,and a custom Roberts built on another pre-64. It’s a very cold day in hell when any of above shoots a group with any component combination greater than 1” for three shots at 100 yards!
My pet of pets is the custom rifle, with it’s 23” Krieger barrel it’s up to any game here in Arizona.
I've had many over the years, including a 700 Classic (couldn't like the LA and 24" barrel), Win 70 FW (should not have traded it off), Kimber Montana, Browning BLR, ULA and Mickey Coleman custom 257AI's, etc. Now I'm down to one custom pre-war M70. I'll buy a Kimber Hunter just to have a knock around 257R. Probably shouldn't wait. I just love the cartridge in a short action...mostly with 80 TTSX and 75 VMAX.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
southtexas,

Actually, Melvin Forbes talked me into the .257 AI. I was having him put together a NULA in .257, and he said the .257 AI was a lot better. So I tried it and eventually decided the only place I could see any difference was on the chronograph, not in the field.

But the AI does kills stuff. Why not, since it's right between the standard .257 and .25-06 in case capacity and hence potential muzzle velocity.

On a more "holistic" level I eventually also decided that the standard .257 worked very well as my light-recoiling .25, and the .257 Weatherby as ultimate zapper .25.

Of course, now there's a whole new array of fast-twist 6mms and 6.5s on either side of the .25s--and of course I've been dabbling in those as well.

So much rifle gack, so little time....
[Linked Image]

My Mauser 257
Originally Posted by C_ROY
Bartlein # 0 contour it is a modified Fwt. The 21.5" bbl mics 0.600 on the nose @ the muzzle. I really like the contour a lot

Thanks for the intel C-Roy.
Some pretty wood on this thread.
Originally Posted by C_ROY

Thanks for the intel C-Roy.

A mega bonus for me is that you can get that contour in stainless!
I was sorely tempted to buy a mannlicher stocked 257 Roberts earlier today.

It has a quilted maple stock with a skeleton grip-cap and butt-plate that probably cost whoever bought it the asking price for the whole package.

The downside is that it was built on a Chilean 1895 small ring action. The action was made by Ludwig Lowe and has had a cock-on-opening kit installed, but it is still over 100 yeas old.

It came to the shoulder and balanced really well, tempting, very tempting.
My 257 Roberts is a 1952 model 70 shoots greats looks good, loves Hornady 117gr interlocks !!!
My .257 Roberts Ruger MII shoots well with quite a few different bullet/ powder combinations. I settled on 110 Nosler AB with 42.5 grains of H4350. Leaving some velocity on the table at 2800FPS, deer have yet to notice the lack of speed. The last buck was a pain to track. Had to go at least 20 yards before I found him. The Nosler AB do like to be seated a wee bit deeper tho.
Originally Posted by Bugger
[Linked Image]

My Mauser 257

WOW!
Originally Posted by Bugger
[Linked Image]

My Mauser 257

That doesn't suck.
Tell us a little more about it, please.
REx
Speculation on my part but one possible reason for lack of chatter on loads for the .257 is that few folks have issues related to achieving the desired results. I have toyed with two .257 Roberts, a .250-3000, a .25-20 Win and Single Shot. Most boring caliber I've ever worked on. grin
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by Elvis

Winchester used to have a 100g factory load. I used it some and found it very accurate in the Win. FWT I had at the time. Like most things .257 R. it probably didn't sell well enough to keep it going.

I can't ever recall seeing that. I can't imagine the 100gn load not selling but the slow 117gn round nose did. Oh well, most of us handload anyway.
Factory ammo is almost non existent and expensive. And new brass for hand loading is even more scarce and expensive. 50 Nosler brass at Midway is $77
Originally Posted by overmax
Factory ammo is almost non existent and expensive. And new brass for hand loading is even more scarce and expensive. 50 Nosler brass at Midway is $77

That's cheap. Fifty Nosler .257 Roberts cases over here is AU$184. That's approaching $4 a case. It sure makes you get down on your hands and knees and search in the long grass for an ejected case.

I bought 50 Nosler cases to try them in one of my Ruger Roberts and the 100gn Nosler Solid Bases shoot into 5/10 - 6/10 of an inch. My other Ruger Roberts also shoots exactly the same with several 100gn bullets but with Winchester brass that only costs $49 per 50. Maybe the Nosler brass will last four times as long.
Remington periodically makes 257 Rob brass... I picked up 250 pieces 3.5 years ago when it was last made. Keep an eye out.

I’ve contacted Hornady about making it (they do make 250 Savage brass), and they have responded they’re considering it.

I’d encourage anyone that shoots a Rbt’s to contact them with a request to make brass...
I have 250 Winchester cases on the shelf and there are two more 50 count bags in my local gun shop. Every time I go in there I think I should buy it but then I think I shouldn't be greedy and leave it for someone else. Good to see Hornady making .250 Savage brass. You'd think it would be a no brainer to add .257 Roberts as well, especially since they are producing 275 Rigby brass. It shouldn't be all that difficult to adjust tooling from 275 Rigby to .257 Roberts.

I hope it's better than the Hornady 6.5 CM brass I bought last year.
I had three at one time, my sons used them when they "graduated" from the 250-3000. I loaded Hornady Spire Points at around 2,800 FPS if memory serves me and it was quite effective on our GA deer.

My model 70 257 Roberts likes RL26 with 115gr Nosler Partitions I got 3133 FPS, Win case CCI 250 primers 2.800 OAL.

RL23 with 110gr Accubonds 3123 FPS Win case. CCI250 primer 2 .820 OAL.

RL17 110 gr Accubonds WLR primer Win case 2.800 OAL 3151 FPS.

RL23 115 gr Nosler Partition CCI 250 primer 3129 FPS.

Norma MRP 117gr BT Hornady CCI 250 primer 2.850 OAL 3068 FPS.

With the heavier bullets MRP has been most accurate followed by RL23.
[url=https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14590414/275-roberts][/url]

The 90 grain TSX and 45 grains of IMR-4350 have killed a lot of stuff.
Mentioned this earlier, but the post disappeared in the crash.

Hornady has been making EXCELLENT brass for at least 3 years now. Have purchased it in .17 Hornet, .243 Winchester, 6mm Creedmoor, .250 Savage, .25-06, .275 Rigby (aka 7x57), 7mm Remington Magnum, .30-06 and .300 Weatherby Magnum at local stores, where it's generally inexpensive. A good example would be the 50 pieces of 7mm Remington Magnum I bought for a magazine assignment, which proved to be as consistent in both weight and neck-thickness as several other premium brands, including Lapua. So I went back and bought another 50...

They do not offer component .257 Roberts brass, but they do offertheir Superformance load with 117-grain SSTs at a listed 2945 fps--which is as inexpensive, per round, as some component brass these days (depending on where you buy it, of course). Picked up my first box today at a local store (the only one they had) and will report on it soon, both the ammo performance and brass quality.

Also saw some in an more distant local store a few weeks ago, and will see if it's still there next time we make it to the "big city."
John,

I guess I will be looking for some of the Hornady Superformance ammo as I just picked up my first 257 Bob:

Mentioned this earlier, but the post disappeared in the crash.

Hornady has been making EXCELLENT brass for at least 3 years now. Have purchased it in .17 Hornet, .243 Winchester, 6mm Creedmoor, .250 Savage, .25-06, .275 Rigby (aka 7x57), 7mm Remington Magnum, .30-06 and .300 Weatherby Magnum at local stores, where it's generally inexpensive. A good example would be the 50 pieces of 7mm Remington Magnum I bought for a magazine assignment, which proved to be as consistent in both weight and neck-thickness as several other premium brands, including Lapua. So I went back and bought another 50...

They do not offer component .257 Roberts brass, but they do offer their Superformance load with 117-grain SSTs at a listed 2945 fps--which is as inexpensive, per round, as some component brass these days (depending on where you buy it, of course). Picked up my first box today at a local store (the only one they had) and will report on it soon, both the ammo performance and brass quality.

Also saw some in an more distant local store a few weeks ago, and will see if it's still there next time we make it to the "big city."

I shot that Superformance ammo with the 117 SST in my custom, 5 shots over the Magnetspeed avg velocity 2820 fps and SD = 20.0; accuracy was minute of hog/deer as well grin I bought 5 boxes in case they shot well and would all be from the same lot...since all my shots are under 250 yds really no need to reload but I will of course! I really want to try the 90 gr GMX but will work up an accurate 100 TTSX load first sine that has been my go to bullet for years
Originally Posted by GunTruck50

My model 70 257 Roberts likes RL26 with 115gr Nosler Partitions I got 3133 FPS, Win case CCI 250 primers 2.800 OAL.

RL23 with 110gr Accubonds 3123 FPS Win case. CCI250 primer 2 .820 OAL.

RL17 110 gr Accubonds WLR primer Win case 2.800 OAL 3151 FPS.

RL23 115 gr Nosler Partition CCI 250 primer 3129 FPS.

Norma MRP 117gr BT Hornady CCI 250 primer 2.850 OAL 3068 FPS.

With the heavier bullets MRP has been most accurate followed by RL23.

What length barrel do you have?

It,s a stock Model 70 made in 1957 I think, with a 24" barrel.
I picked this rifle up in the ‘fire ‘fieds back in the summer of 2008 from TJ3006 for a song. It was a 7x57 with a Timney safety & nicely turned military tube in a pale walnut Weatherby-style Fajen.

I sent it to my gunsmith to have a Dakota 3-position safety installed, and it was suggested that perhaps I ought to consider recutting the chamber & re-heat treating the receiver too. I agreed, and the thing morphed into an 8”-twisted Shilen #3 CM cut to 23” in 7x57 in a custom stock with Talley flip-up peep.

Over the past 12 years it morphed even more (after getting to the point of being ready to rust blue!) and the time lapsed is due to my fickle tastes and sporadic funds not my gunsmith’s speed.

Today it has the 3-position Dakota safety, re-heat-treated receiver, G33/40 left side rail cuts, altered tang eliminating the need for a Mauser notch and allowing for a more open grip, Glimm’s engraved knob, Timney FW trigger, Rock Creek #1 contoured SS cut-rifled 1-in-9” twisted barrel in .257 Roberts, McM Hunter’s Edge stock, and Birdsong’s Black T coating.

What is missing is S&K contoured bases/rings & jeweled bolt the former of which is in process the latter going to happen after coyote season. It’s currently wearing a Burris Fullfield E1 German 3P#4 3-9x 40mm w/ illuminated dot which I like a lot for deer & coyote but after first range trip I see it won’t allow the precision I want when testing out potential of a new rifle so after coyote season I’ll change it for a Ballistic Plex model.

I had to send the barreled action to McM for custom inletting and even tho I mentioned the fact that I’d had the tang recontoured to avoid the unsightly notch there is one there anyway. Also notice the unfortunate job on the front of the bottom metal? For the amount of money I spent on custom inletting I expected better.

At any rate I’m just back from it’s first range trip and loving the overall feel of the rifle. The temporary mounting system (Burris Sig Zee Medium height & weaver standard aluminum bases) is a lot heavier than I’d like but that’ll be corrected with the S&K.

Really looking forward to getting after the dogs over the next couple of weeks and I’ll be posting more as I hope to see what 90 GR Sierra HP GKs do you the dogs at 3300-ish FPS!

Damned notch:

Mike’s metal craft on the knob root is exceptional:

Mike cut me a super tight chamber and I can’t even size my existing stock down to fit so I’ll be putting it all up for sale in the classifieds.
Black T is slick as snot and you can’t see difference between SS tube & CM receiver

Crown fit for a king 😉

Unsightly gap

I am calling her my “Mexibob”.

Gonna send her back to McM to redo eventually.

My son has a custom Bob on a Turk Mauser.

We love the Roberts a lot.
I've owned a number of Rob's going back 30 years.

My latest:

Very nice stock Brad!
Ok, I have two 257 Roberts, although they are not as pretty as some here.

The first is a Dakota Model 10. I love the way this gun handles.

The second is a Dave Gentry "Montana Mountain Rifle" on a pre-64 Winchester. I really like this gun too, but I am tempted to re-stock it because the stock finish is slippery.

Edit: Apparently my transformation to full-on geezer is complete. That took a good hour to figure out how to correctly post images!
Ten years ago, this July, I came into possession of what has turned out to be my life's dream rifle. I was looking to build something half as nice. Having received a recent inheritance, I, otherwise, would never have had the money to buy this beauty. The owner accidentally communicated the incorrect LOP to the gun builder and now, was looking to quickly sell the rifle and wanted to commission an identical rifle (with the correct LOP) but in 375 H&H. He is, as am I, that impressed with the builders workmanship. It has taken more than a few attempts to find loads which meet my accuracy standards but I found several.

87 gr Hornady SP (no longer available) with IMR 4350
115 gr Nosler BT with either IMR 4350 or IMR 4831
120 gr Nosler PT with IMR 4831
110 gr TTSX with Hybrid 100

It was 4 yrs before finally harvesting my first game animal with it. I almost sold it several times but fortunately talked myself out of doing so, knowing i'd never find such a gorgeous rifle nor being able to afford something similar. My son and step son have both taken their first deer with it as well as mule deer and elk by myself.

The seller, emailed a bunch of pics to me hours after we first talked. I think I had to keep pulling my jaw off the ground as I looked over each picture. Here are a few for your enjoyment.

Wow! Very, very nice rifle.
I have somewhat mixed feelings when it comes to the Bob. My 1st was m70 USRAC FWT in the summer of 1984 ,it had a 2.82 " magazine on a long action. Factory 100 gr +P WW Silvertips shot good in it but WW & RP 117 gr rn loads didn't shoot for [bleep]. With 100 gr Hornady's & 4350 shot really well if seated out to the lands at 3.00" which made a single shot out of it. So my new rifle needed the mag block removed, a full length follower and the bolt stop fixed or repaired to be right. That was the last new model 70 I ever bought fugging dipchits at USRAC. It went down the road. Next was a M700 mtn rifle that didn't shoot worth beans and it didn't hang around long either. One day at the local LGS I spotted a very slightly used Ruger M77 RL in 257 after checking the mag length at 3" I cut a deal on it. the trigger was real nice. It was a Timney. It's a nice handling rifle that shoots 100 gr Hornady's and H4350 real well finally a good shooting 257. ONLY TOOK 25 years to get there. I put it to the test on the second weekend of antelope season that year 1 buck and 4 does out to 300 yds 1 doe needed a finisher but all the rest were 1 shot a piece. I've come to understand that the Bob does nothing you can't do with a 243 or 25-06. Although pursuing a good one can be a bitch. MB
Originally Posted by GSSP
Ten years ago, this July, I came into possession of what has turned out to be my life's dream rifle. I was looking to build something half as nice. Having received a recent inheritance, I, otherwise, would never have had the money to buy this beauty. The owner accidentally communicated the incorrect LOP to the gun builder and now, was looking to quickly sell the rifle and wanted to commission an identical rifle (with the correct LOP) but in 375 H&H. He is, as am I, that impressed with the builders workmanship. It has taken more than a few attempts to find loads which meet my accuracy standards but I found several.

87 gr Hornady SP (no longer available) with IMR 4350
115 gr Nosler BT with either IMR 4350 or IMR 4831
120 gr Nosler PT with IMR 4831
110 gr TTSX with Hybrid 100

It was 4 yrs before finally harvesting my first game animal with it. I almost sold it several times but fortunately talked myself out of doing so, knowing i'd never find such a gorgeous rifle nor being able to afford something similar. My son and step son have both taken their first deer with it as well as mule deer and elk by myself.

The seller, emailed a bunch of pics to me hours after we first talked. I think I had to keep pulling my jaw off the ground as I looked over each picture. Here are a few for your enjoyment.

WOW!
That’s a beauty GSSP! Don’t ever sell it!
Originally Posted by Copenhagen
That’s a beauty GSSP! Don’t ever sell it!

Man, true that!
© 24hourcampfire