Home
Posted By: nontipical Ruger Model 77 44 Rem mag. - 03/01/20
Can I shoot 44 special out of this rifle also?
Yes
I don't know if they'll feed thru the rotary magazine, but yes, you can shoot them in your 77/44.
Posted By: ATC Re: Ruger Model 77 44 Rem mag. - 03/02/20
Yes, no problems with mine.
I would not shoot a steady diet of lead bullet .44 Special in my rifle as you can get a lead build up similar to shooting .22 Shorts in a rifle chambered for .22 Long rifle. The lead deposit is very difficult to remove, a word to the wise in this regard.
Thank you for the information. I greatly appreciate it.
If you handload, think it's better to use somewhat reduced loads in magnum cases than Specials to avoid build-up in the front portion of the chamber. I've also seen at least one article that demonstrated (in .357 revovlers) tha accuracy was a bit better. Maybe so, maybe not.

Used to be some midrange magnum loads available too.
This bullet is a wee bit long for magnum cases so I use .44 Special brass in the 77/44. 320 grains...

I don't shoot many of them at all.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Only 5 shots here, dunno if they are of any use.

OTOH, the .44 mag brass does well when I feel the need for speed. 300 grains paper patched.
I am giving much consideration to purchasing a Ruger 77 44mag as a walkabout type rifle. I need something short and lightweight to carry around the farm when working, scouting, etc. that would do for targets of opportunity, such as coyotes and as just a truck gun. My only concern is effective range it may have with that slow heavy bullet, plus they do not have a rep for pinpoint accuracy. Anyone used one in .357 mag?

I would prefer a Kimber Montana in .223 but I cannot find one at this time.
Originally Posted by VaHunter
I am giving much consideration to purchasing a Ruger 77 44mag as a walkabout type rifle. I need something short and lightweight to carry around the farm when working, scouting, etc. that would do for targets of opportunity, such as coyotes and as just a truck gun. My only concern is effective range it may have with that slow heavy bullet, plus they do not have a rep for pinpoint accuracy. Anyone used one in .357 mag?

i have both the 77/44 & the 77/357, and pack those around a bit, especially the .357...both hold 1-1.5" groups at 50 yards, and have 1-4x scopes on each.
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX

i have both the 77/44 & the 77/357, and pack those around a bit, especially the .357...both hold 1-1.5" groups at 50 yards, and have 1-4x scopes on each.

Thanks 1-1.5" @ 50yds will most likely do what I want. If I don't find a Kimber Montana soon I am going to pull the trigger on one of them.
Vahunter, the 100 yard group in the pic above was 8 shots, 100 yards. MV 1,600 fps. Used a 3 MOA red dot sight to do that. The 77/44 is a tough reliable rifle and I suspect the .357 version is as well.

Ideal truck gun in my opinion.

Just lob that bastid in there. I’ve wanted a 77/44 for a while.
I have owned two of the 77/44's and both have been very cranky about accuracy. I still have a 77/357 and it has been a great little rifle. It stays under 2 inches at 100 yards, usually producing about 1 1/2 MOA with a straight 4x scope. I like that little rifle a lot, and two of my friends' kids have harvested their first deer with it. Both were quick kills at between 80 and 100 yards and hits tight behind the shoulder. Those deer would not have been any deader if hit with a bazooka.
I’d like one rebored to 45 Colt. But some don’t like to do some Ruger barrels.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Ruger Model 77 44 Rem mag. - 03/07/20

Consider the CZ 527 Carbine in 223 or 7.62x39. Mine is a 7.62x39 and it is very acccurate, reliable, fun and cheap to shoot. 7.62x39 will also have a range advantage over the 44 or 357. Ammo so cheap no need to reload, but simple and cheap to reload. The rifle handles all of the steel cases ammo very well.
Originally Posted by Jeffrey

Consider the CZ 527 Carbine in 223 or 7.62x39. Mine is a 7.62x39 and it is very acccurate, reliable, fun and cheap to shoot. 7.62x39 will also have a range advantage over the 44 or 357. Ammo so cheap no need to reload, but simple and cheap to reload. The rifle handles all of the steel cases ammo very well.

I have considered the CZ, I especially like the fact it has sights. I might just have to get one of each.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
If you handload, think it's better to use somewhat reduced loads in magnum cases than Specials to avoid build-up in the front portion of the chamber. I've also seen at least one article that demonstrated (in .357 revovlers) tha accuracy was a bit better. Maybe so, maybe not.

Used to be some midrange magnum loads available too.

This would work better than .44spl cases. Good call Pappy.
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
I’d like one rebored to 45 Colt. But some don’t like to do some Ruger barrels.

While I LOVE the 45 Colt - I would expect feed issues, needing careful caressing.
© 24hourcampfire