Home
Posted By: kaboku68 Jack's Alvin Linden Rifle - 03/07/20
One of Jack O'Connor's 270 Win rifles sold at the Reata Pass auction today for 17000. Estimate was between 15K-25K. I guess some people still appreciate classic rifles. They had a lot of very nice rifles. Still way above my pay grade.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: handwerk Re: Jack's Alvin Linden Rifle - 03/07/20
I was watching that one myself...just for fun.... what a piece of history for us M70 /O'Connor fans.
Pure class.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Jack's Alvin Linden Rifle - 03/08/20
An aside to this thread...I’ve watched several on-line auctions reach into $47-$49k for some 1911 pistols that were made by “Singer” I believe, to name only one.

There’s a lot of serious collection amongst us that required a Fort Knox bank account to acquire...Real money is always fun to watch being spent of cool firearms...😎
Posted By: hanco Re: Jack's Alvin Linden Rifle - 03/08/20
It’s a beautiful rifle. Class all the way!
Al Linden's job was as a saw filer in lumber camps, before he began doing rifles. I know he was a superb stockmaker (in both design and execution) but I don't know how much of the metal work he did. When somebody commented on his checkering, he referred to it as "small scale plowing".
Posted By: StrayDog Re: Jack's Alvin Linden Rifle - 03/09/20
An interesting adjustable front ring before scopes had internal adjustments.
Kaboku68: Thanks for the heads up on the wonderful old Rifle (piece of history).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Steven60 Re: Jack's Alvin Linden Rifle - 03/13/20
I wish there was a way to get some modern scopes that low on contemporary rifles. I have to raise the comb of almost any conventionally stocked rifle I get. I suppose that's still easier than surgery to lower my cheekbone, wink
Originally Posted by Steven60
I wish there was a way to get some modern scopes that low on contemporary rifles. I have to raise the comb of almost any conventionally stocked rifle I get. I suppose that's still easier than surgery to lower my cheekbone, wink

Definitely.

Does that scope have a 3/4" tube?

Okie John
Posted By: jaycee Re: Jack's Alvin Linden Rifle - 03/15/20

Man, do I share those sentiments! I don’t like anything higher than a Weaver Medium, even on straight-combed stocks, and would prefer a Low. Everyone raves about Talley mounts, and while they are a well made mount, they are absurdly high. Even their “Low” mount is a very high mount.
Posted By: Steven60 Re: Jack's Alvin Linden Rifle - 03/15/20
I called it first: conspiracy by scope & ring manufacturers to make us use montecarlo stocks! wink
Posted By: Wrapids Re: Jack's Alvin Linden Rifle - 03/16/20

Not hard at all to get very low, but not with fatass 50mm objectives.
Linden used Emil Koshollek for his metalwork.
Posted By: Steven60 Re: Jack's Alvin Linden Rifle - 03/16/20
Originally Posted by Wrapids

Not hard at all to get very low, but not with fatass 50mm objectives.

I agree. I've got two pseudo-scout rifles (CZ-452 American & Winchester Stainless Classic with Burris Scout scopes) and no comb modification is needed; great sight pictures and cheek weld. I just wish I could get the same alignment with a 20mm objective lens conventionally mounted and a factory straight comb stock.
Posted By: drover Re: Jack's Alvin Linden Rifle - 03/16/20
If you want a low mounted scope here you go, they are not the prettiest but they are the lowest rings available of any I am aware of - .089"

https://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Detachable-1-Inch-Mount-Rings/dp/B004NCGF2S

The Burris are prettier but slightly higher - .130

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1008844155?pid=281679

drover
Never understood the fascination with the 50mm scopes, they look out of proportion to me. I have Lyman Alaskans in Griffin & Howe mounts on my Springfield 1922 M2 Sporter and my Winchester M/70 Super Grade.
Posted By: Steven60 Re: Jack's Alvin Linden Rifle - 03/17/20
Originally Posted by drover
If you want a low mounted scope here you go, they are not the prettiest but they are the lowest rings available of any I am aware of - .089"

https://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Detachable-1-Inch-Mount-Rings/dp/B004NCGF2S

The Burris are prettier but slightly higher - .130

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1008844155?pid=281679

drover

Thanks!
Posted By: jwall Re: Jack's Alvin Linden Rifle - 03/18/20
[quote=kaboku68]One of Jack O'Connor's 270 Win rifles sold at the Reata Pass auction today for 17000 Estimate was between 15K-25K. I guess some people still appreciate classic rifles. They had a lot of very nice rifles. Still way above my pay grade.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

-----------------------------------

GORGEOUS !!

I'd have to stand there and jump up and down saying W O W !!
© 24hourcampfire