Home
Posted By: RevMike 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/11/20
As one of Nosler's tougher BTs, what's the largest animal any of you have taken with it?

RM
Posted By: BobbyTomek Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/11/20
Pardon the blood in the photo, but it was intentionally taken that way to show the exit from the 120 grain BT. The range was 190 yards, and the MV from my 7mm Bullberry is 2651 fps. It entered and penetrated the onside shoulder, heavily damaged the lungs, sliced through the heavy shield and then exited. Between various 7-30 Waters barrels and my 7mm BB, I've taken dozens of hogs using the Nosler 7mm 120 grain BT and have never, ever been disappointed in terminal performance.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: 65BR Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/11/20
FWIW, if not mistaken, was it Chub Eastman who developed the 95 NBT, and shot Caribou and perhaps larger game.

I'd personally go to the Barnes 120 if you want to shoot game larger than deer and hogs. They are known Elk killers....and surely hold together on shots hitting heavy bone. Just my .02.

I'm sure on lung shots the 120 Noz would do fine on game larger than deer, but why limit yourself to 'perfect presentation?' Consider the SD is not great for a 7mm.....a 140 AB would be far better IMHO. It will overtake the 120 in speed after some distance due to B.C. and likely hold up much better being bonded, keeping more weight after impact, giving better penetration.

JB and others might have more answers to your question.
Posted By: BobbyTomek Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/11/20

The few that I have recovered tend to look like this one. And yes, that's a 7mm/120 despite the blue tip. These were an overrun for an ammo manufacturer that were made available through Shooters Pro Shop.

Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/11/20
So far this would be it, but I'd not feel uncomfortable shooting it at much bigger critters. Shoot was taken from the ridge you see to the right of me, maybe 170 yards downhill.
7MM-08 Tikka Superlite.
[Linked Image from pic20.picturetrail.com]
Posted By: RevMike Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/11/20
Bobby, your pictures look a lot like mine: deceased porkers everwhere. And I think I have a couple boxes of those "Blue Meanies" as well. grin
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/11/20
65BR,

It wasn't Chub who developed the 95-grain 6mm Ballistic Tip, but Gail Root, who was then Nosler's head of bullet development. In part he wanted an elk-capable bullet, and has taken a number of bulls with it,including big 6-points, and continues to after retiring a while back.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/11/20
I've killed a few aoudad with 120's launched from a 7-08
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/11/20
Originally Posted by JGRaider

How did they hold up on the aoudad? Get some exits?
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/11/20
I stopped fretting the 120 gr BT years ago
Just last week

Posted By: czech1022 Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/11/20
Haven't used them myself, but here are the words of Steve Timm, alias "dogzapper", with some words of wisdom:

I push 120BTs at 3,370 out of my .280 Ackley. I've killed one Alberta moose, maybe a half-dozen big Alberta whitetails, about four antelope and about eight or ten mule deer with the load. Never seen any hint of a blowup.

The moose shot was at 91 yards. Bullwinkle was standing in a farm two-track, kinda angled. I shot him through the left carotid artery (cool..it spurts) and the bullet exited, leaving a two-inch hole and a totally missing cervical (neck) vertabrae. Moosie stood for about five seconds, long enough for me to rack in another round, and then he tipped over like a piece of plywood in a light wind.

When used in the .280 Ackley, the bullet seemingly always exits on deer and antelope, except for one antelope buck that I shot in the throat and found the bullet next to the bunghole, when I started to do the bad-nasty coring job with my filet knife. That bullet was expanded to about .75" and the core/jacket were one solid piece. The rest of the bullets, on both deer and antelope, totally penetrated and might still be in low-earth orbit, for all I know. Exit holes are not large, averaging about 1 1/2-inches to two inches, and bloodshooting is not bad. Yeah, I know the first few generations of BTs were "soft", but this bullet is much harder.

I've also used the 120BT in my 7SGLC at 3,250 fps MV. One shot I totally remember was hitting a major Montana mule deer buck in the face with the bullet at about ten yards. It was very early one morning and I was creeping up a hill, when I ran smack-dab into a large buck that was peeping at me through a juniper tree.. The horns were MAJOR.....up came the rifle and I shot it under the right eye. Didn't break the skull cap......just killed the living crap out of him.

It must be a guy thing, but I just love shooting critters squarely in the face, if I can. My friend, Roger Roberts, from Weeping Water, Nebraska, about had a hernia when I face-shot a caribou when we were hunting in Quebec...a face-shot at about fifteen feet is graphic and Roger ragged at me for the rest of the hunt about the shot. When I got home, I sent him a long video entitled "Face-Shot Things"; it was about a dozen short video clips melded together that would be great ammo for PETA Roger was SO insulted that he had to watch it fifteen or twenty times; then, he got his wife, Vicki, and the kids to watch it more. But I digress.

With the with the same load in my 7SGLC, I killed a 9 1/2 year old mule buck at 204 yards. Shot through the spine at dusk. Exit hole was maybe two inches, after removing a serious piece of spine. Biggest damned deer I've ever seen....anywhere. And in the gumbo. Karen and I WORKED to get that SOB out.

7SGLC also ended the careers of two 6X6 bull elk, not major bulls, but both were 300 B&C or so. One at about 375 yards and the other one was 400-ish. One was shot through the spine, between the shoulder blades, from above and the bullet penetrated to the brisket hide. The other was broadside...hit squarely in the center of the shoulder, broke both shoulders, but no mess, and penetrated to the off-shoulder hide. Both elk bullets expanded to about .80" and the cores were securely locked in the jackets.

I've killed oodles of big Alberta coyotes with the 120BT in the .280. Doesn't do much, except kill them, because the jacket is too heavy for predator use.

The 120BT, as we know it, came from shooting Silhouetta. Reportedly, the original version was too lightly built to get the reliably knock over the 500-meter steel ram. My buddy, Chub Eastman, was at the first big Silhouetta shoot where they were used and came back home to Bend, OR with the request to "build it heavier."line. Hey, it wasn't selling as a varmint bullet, so they apparently thought that they would build the bullet for their target market; the Silhouetta shooters. Sooooo, Nosler beefed up the jacket and, in doing so, they unknowingly created one Hell of a big game bullet.

Section one, I think you'll see what I mean. The bugger is built like the Ballistic Tip .338s-and-higher. Really heavy jacket.

I use .284"-120BTs on deer and antelope with no hesitation. And, when the opportunity avails itself to bonk a heavier head of big game, I have absolutely no worries with the 120BT.

================================================
More:

I've tried the 140 Sierras and found them too frangible for my use in the .280 Ackley. Dunno how they'd perform in my 7SGLC, but prolly better. Hey, the 120 Ballistics work perfectly in both of my 7s, so the search is over.

Actually, I've found the 120BTs to be very much tougher than the 140BTs.

Obviously, if I'm chasing elk or moosies exclusively, I will usually load up with 154 Hornady Interlockeds. Some Campfire folks might remember that I whacked an Asian water buffalo with my .280 Ackley and 154s......dead buff with a single shot to the carotid arteries.

In the water buffalo kill, the 154 Hornady penetrated two-inches of tough hide....shot clear through the buff's neck....penetrated the two-inch off-side hide and went in low-orbit of the earth. Impressive, very impressive.

Usually, however, I hunt a couple of species at the same time and my bullet choice is determined by the critter I'll most likely kill; namely deer. If an elk or moose shows up, the 120 Ballistic bonks it cleanly. Certainly no complaints from me.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/11/20
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
Originally Posted by JGRaider

How did they hold up on the aoudad? Get some exits?

About half the time I would get exits. This from a sample of about 20 sheep including ewes, young rams, and a few big ones.
Posted By: CWT Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/11/20
All I can say is I have shot them into the shoulder of many 200- 250 lbs wild hogs and they flat put um down. The 140 NBT's do the same.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/11/20
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
65BR,

It wasn't Chub who developed the 95-grain 6mm Ballistic Tip, but Gail Root, who was then Nosler's head of bullet development. In part he wanted an elk-capable bullet, and has taken a number of bulls with it,including big 6-points, and continues to after retiring a while back.

Thanks JB, I remember now, as you posted about it on a previous thread on the 95 BT. That bullet has been my go-to in any 6mm, BR's and 243s....really an outstanding performer, and I've shot 1/2" 3-shot groups at 200 yds using a former Dakota Predator I had in BR, 10 twist. Always penetrated well for me on WT deer.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/11/20
Deer. 35 yard shot on a whitetail buck. Lost its core and found the jacket mushroomed nicely under the skin behind the far shoulder. Muly doe, 280 yards. Ricocheted off onside shoulder, up through the neck and exited the head on the off-side.
Posted By: Snyper Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/11/20
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Deer. 35 yard shot on a whitetail buck. Lost its core and found the jacket mushroomed nicely under the skin behind the far shoulder. Muly doe, 280 yards. Ricocheted off onside shoulder, up through the neck and exited the head on the off-side.

Ballistic Tips aren't short range bullets.
You obviously killed both animals.
Posted By: Filaman Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/11/20
I've used BTs in my .280 Remington with mixed results but I think the troubles I had with them were with earlier bullets. The last 10-15 years I've killed a number of deer and hogs with them with great results and penetration was much better. I just bought some 140 grain SGKs to work up a load for my Zastava Commercial 98 in 7x57. I'm thinking I'll order me some 120 BTs to see how they shoot in comparison.

Posted By: lastround Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/11/20
Not a writer, but I’ve used the 120 gr. Ballistic Tip on two whitetail bucks out of my 7mm-08. One, my biggest ever, at 120 yds. and the second, a big bodied 10 pt., at 225 yds. Both exited.
Posted By: boatanchor Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/11/20
The only Big Game animal that I took with the 120gr NBT was a Sitka Black Tail deer on Kodiak Island. I used a 7-30Waters pistol. It worked very well !!!!

I have a friend that I load for that just loves these bullets out of his 7RM, He has taken several Elk and Deer along with coyotes and rock chucks, I load him up 100 rounds every two years.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/11/20
Yeah, I know a central Montana rancher who uses them in his 7mm Remington Magnum--which has a 26" custom barrel. Loads them fast, and has killed a bunch of elk, shooting behind the shoulder. Last I heard he'd never recovered any--and all the elk died quite suddenly.
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/12/20
Originally Posted by RevMike
As one of Nosler's tougher BTs, what's the largest animal any of you have taken with it?

RM

This late season New Mexico cow elk killed in December is my largest animal with a 7mm 120 BT.

I'd wanted to shoot heavies from a 7 Rem mag but the scope broke while confirming zero, so I switched to a 7-08 that I brought along for some plinking.

I popped her at 200 yards broadside, twice.

The 120's left the barrel at 3037 fps. I found both bases with some jacket material underneath the far hide, but the cores and some jacket material exited.

I found out the second shot was unnecessary when I dressed her.

She was heavy and estimated to be five years old, but she's eating really well....

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Posted By: kk alaska Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/12/20
TX Photo what scope broke brand and model pls.
Posted By: 338Rules Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/12/20
Originally Posted by czech1022
Haven't used them myself, but here are the words of Steve Timm, alias "dogzapper", with some words of wisdom:

I push 120BTs at 3,370 out of my .280 Ackley. I've killed one Alberta moose, maybe a half-dozen big Alberta whitetails, about four antelope and about eight or ten mule deer with the load. Never seen any hint of a blowup.

The moose shot was at 91 yards. Bullwinkle was standing in a farm two-track, kinda angled. I shot him through the left carotid artery (cool..it spurts) and the bullet exited, leaving a two-inch hole and a totally missing cervical (neck) vertabrae. Moosie stood for about five seconds, long enough for me to rack in another round, and then he tipped over like a piece of plywood in a light wind.

When used in the .280 Ackley, the bullet seemingly always exits on deer and antelope, except for one antelope buck that I shot in the throat and found the bullet next to the bunghole, when I started to do the bad-nasty coring job with my filet knife. That bullet was expanded to about .75" and the core/jacket were one solid piece. The rest of the bullets, on both deer and antelope, totally penetrated and might still be in low-earth orbit, for all I know. Exit holes are not large, averaging about 1 1/2-inches to two inches, and bloodshooting is not bad. Yeah, I know the first few generations of BTs were "soft", but this bullet is much harder.

I've also used the 120BT in my 7SGLC at 3,250 fps MV. One shot I totally remember was hitting a major Montana mule deer buck in the face with the bullet at about ten yards. It was very early one morning and I was creeping up a hill, when I ran smack-dab into a large buck that was peeping at me through a juniper tree.. The horns were MAJOR.....up came the rifle and I shot it under the right eye. Didn't break the skull cap......just killed the living crap out of him.

It must be a guy thing, but I just love shooting critters squarely in the face, if I can. My friend, Roger Roberts, from Weeping Water, Nebraska, about had a hernia when I face-shot a caribou when we were hunting in Quebec...a face-shot at about fifteen feet is graphic and Roger ragged at me for the rest of the hunt about the shot. When I got home, I sent him a long video entitled "Face-Shot Things"; it was about a dozen short video clips melded together that would be great ammo for PETA Roger was SO insulted that he had to watch it fifteen or twenty times; then, he got his wife, Vicki, and the kids to watch it more. But I digress.

With the with the same load in my 7SGLC, I killed a 9 1/2 year old mule buck at 204 yards. Shot through the spine at dusk. Exit hole was maybe two inches, after removing a serious piece of spine. Biggest damned deer I've ever seen....anywhere. And in the gumbo. Karen and I WORKED to get that SOB out.

7SGLC also ended the careers of two 6X6 bull elk, not major bulls, but both were 300 B&C or so. One at about 375 yards and the other one was 400-ish. One was shot through the spine, between the shoulder blades, from above and the bullet penetrated to the brisket hide. The other was broadside...hit squarely in the center of the shoulder, broke both shoulders, but no mess, and penetrated to the off-shoulder hide. Both elk bullets expanded to about .80" and the cores were securely locked in the jackets.

I've killed oodles of big Alberta coyotes with the 120BT in the .280. Doesn't do much, except kill them, because the jacket is too heavy for predator use.

The 120BT, as we know it, came from shooting Silhouetta. Reportedly, the original version was too lightly built to get the reliably knock over the 500-meter steel ram. My buddy, Chub Eastman, was at the first big Silhouetta shoot where they were used and came back home to Bend, OR with the request to "build it heavier."line. Hey, it wasn't selling as a varmint bullet, so they apparently thought that they would build the bullet for their target market; the Silhouetta shooters. Sooooo, Nosler beefed up the jacket and, in doing so, they unknowingly created one Hell of a big game bullet.

Section one, I think you'll see what I mean. The bugger is built like the Ballistic Tip .338s-and-higher. Really heavy jacket.

I use .284"-120BTs on deer and antelope with no hesitation. And, when the opportunity avails itself to bonk a heavier head of big game, I have absolutely no worries with the 120BT.

================================================
More:

I've tried the 140 Sierras and found them too frangible for my use in the .280 Ackley. Dunno how they'd perform in my 7SGLC, but prolly better. Hey, the 120 Ballistics work perfectly in both of my 7s, so the search is over.

Actually, I've found the 120BTs to be very much tougher than the 140BTs.

Obviously, if I'm chasing elk or moosies exclusively, I will usually load up with 154 Hornady Interlockeds. Some Campfire folks might remember that I whacked an Asian water buffalo with my .280 Ackley and 154s......dead buff with a single shot to the carotid arteries.

In the water buffalo kill, the 154 Hornady penetrated two-inches of tough hide....shot clear through the buff's neck....penetrated the two-inch off-side hide and went in low-orbit of the earth. Impressive, very impressive.

Usually, however, I hunt a couple of species at the same time and my bullet choice is determined by the critter I'll most likely kill; namely deer. If an elk or moose shows up, the 120 Ballistic bonks it cleanly. Certainly no complaints from me.

Always interesting to re-read DogZappers comments, and benefit from his experiences.
I wonder what pressure his 7SGLC load was running to get 3250 out of a 7mm-08 improved ?

I’ve never used the 120 BTs, having had success with the 140s, but there are lots who recommend the 120 BTs
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/12/20
I get 3126 FPS out of 51.5 grains of BG (52 is max according to Nosler) from a Tikka.

P
Posted By: Mohawk Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/12/20
Both my father and I have been running the 120 BT in our 7-08's for a number of years based on recommendations from DogZapper on this forum. We have killed a number of feral hogs and deer with them with excellent performance. We don't use any other bullet anymore since we have had such good success. One of the biggest animals I have shot with it was this Aoudad from the past January. I'm not sure what he weighed as our scales bottom out at 250lbs and they bottomed out before we even got him up off the ground. Anyway he went down like he was struck by lightning and never even kicked from a high shoulder shot. Like Bobby Tomek posted earlier we also stocked up on the blue tipped ones from Shooters Pro shop and we probably have a lifetime supply. That is how much confidence I have in that bullet.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: BobbyTomek Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/12/20
Mohawk-

That is an AWESOME ram.
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/13/20
I run the 120NBT in my .280AI @ 3325 fps (Dogzapper's suggested load)and thus far we have taken 32 deer with the gun/load combo between 15 steps and 300 yards. We have never caught a bullet inside a deer and all have been 1 shot DRT kills.

I never want to be without this bullet.
Posted By: brydan Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/13/20
Originally Posted by boatanchor
The only Big Game animal that I took with the 120gr NBT was a Sitka Black Tail deer on Kodiak Island. I used a 7-30Waters pistol. It worked very well !!!

It's also my go to bullet in a 7-30 Improved pistol. Excellent accuracy and terminal performance on deer at 2450 fps. There's not many bullets that perform well on game from modest pistol velocities through magnum rifle speeds.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/13/20
I bought a thousand Blue Meanies when they became available a few years ago. I might have to try them someday.

P
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/13/20
I may have used the blue tips myself.........

Posted By: Mohawk Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/13/20
I love that picture JG! That is the definition of a "Meat Haul"
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/13/20
Thanks Mohawk, that was a fun day for sure. My buddy in the TX Panhandle has a "very private", ranch, low fenced, with the only ag around. I bet there were 300 deer on that 320 acre alfalfa field. He said to shoot as many as we could, so we did. I think I wound up with 17 does in two days via that 7mm 120BT.
Posted By: T Bone Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/13/20
Not a writer, but here is a really bad video of my daughter tagging her first bull elk in CO at 330ish yards.

7-08, 44 grn Varget, 120 grn bt's.

She'd tagged two cows in previous years, along with a few deer.

Nothing but stellar performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0hlROYmo3w

Please pardon the poor video, coaching, etc. We were all really full of adrenaline.
Posted By: dogzapper Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/13/20

RM

Some 6X6 bull elk and one decent-sized bull moose.

God Bless,

Steve
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/13/20
Originally Posted by kk alaska
TX Photo what scope broke brand and model pls.

SWFA fixed 6. Used it for about 150 full house rounds (162's, 175's and 180 ELD's over Re26) in a lightish 7 mag during load workup and practice. Rings were spaced correctly and I don't use lead sleds.

It tracked perfectly until the zero check on this trip. I sent it to SWFA and they replaced it immediately with a new one.

I think it was an anomaly since I have several others and they've been great, but we'll see.
Posted By: RevMike Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/14/20
Thanks, guys, I appreciate all the comment and pics.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/14/20
Originally Posted by T Bone
Not a writer, but here is a really bad video of my daughter tagging her first bull elk in CO at 330ish yards.

7-08, 44 grn Varget, 120 grn bt's.

She'd tagged two cows in previous years, along with a few deer.

Nothing but stellar performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0hlROYmo3w

Please pardon the poor video, coaching, etc. We were all really full of adrenaline.

I'd say it did the job, and congrats, but stellar...IDK. I would rather a 140 AB and really a 150-162 class bullet at that distance, if I could get the velocity. Just me. The first shot seemed a bit far back, did the 2nd hit the shoulder? If so, what did you find when you cleaned it?
Posted By: TX35W Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/14/20
500-600 lb mature bull caribou. I have found that at least at the speeds I shoot them, these are very "shocky" bullets. Never gotten a death run even when shooting behind shoulder. Animals act like they've gotten socked in the jaw. I shot this caribou behind the shoulder at about 80 yards with a 18.5" M7 in 7mm-08. Pretty slow, about 2850 fps at muzzle. At the first hit he staggered, stumbled 5 yards, and turned around. By then I had another round in the chamber and shot him again, same place on the opposite side, behind the shoulder. He staggered 5 more yards and dropped. Then crawled/dragged himself maybe 10 yards.

I never found the bullets but could not find any exit wounds for the life of me. This animal was very, very deep chested. These bullets are very fast killers. Maybe the fastest killing bullets I've used. My friends who use the 140 7mm BT's have had very average results. The 120's are definitely magic.

On deer and pigs they basically always exit.
Posted By: 358wsm Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/14/20

RM

I began reading results, here on the campfire, by hunters here using that bullet, when in the process of building my 284 Winchester.

Inspired, I then used it exclusively for 2 years from that rifle to take 11 Northeastern Whitetail's all being one shot kills from 8 yards (lotta stress on that bullet at 3250 fps), out to the other side of 250 yards.

One bullet recovered (CNS).

No doubt, it's the best 120 grain "Accubond-esque" bullet for the .284" calibers.
It's ego needs no stroking smile
Posted By: Tejano Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/15/20
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
I run the 120NBT in my .280AI @ 3325 fps (Dogzapper's suggested load)

Steve mentions 61 gr. of H4350 as one favorite load for the 280 AI, is this what you use?

Any loads for the 7RM? Nosler is showing up to 3,500 fps but I only have the older data, they were using R19, R22 and VV560. I bet I can get close with R23, R26 or R16 has anyone tried these powders? Looking for temperature stability and less heat than VV560. StaBil might be another option.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/16/20
Originally Posted by Tejano

Steve mentions 61 gr. of H4350 as one favorite load for the 280 AI, is this what you use?

Any loads for the 7RM? Nosler is showing up to 3,500 fps but I only have the older data, they were using R19, R22 and VV560. I bet I can get close with R23, R26 or R16 has anyone tried these powders? Looking for temperature stability and less heat than VV560. StaBil might be another option.

What are you shooting, and at what distance? I can think of far better choices for the 7 Rem Mag than 120 NBT.

P
Posted By: T Bone Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/16/20
Originally Posted by 65BR
Originally Posted by T Bone

I'd say it did the job, and congrats, but stellar...IDK. I would rather a 140 AB and really a 150-162 class bullet at that distance, if I could get the velocity. Just me. The first shot seemed a bit far back, did the 2nd hit the shoulder? If so, what did you find when you cleaned it?

First shot was back, 2nd shoulder, 3rd high lungs. All passed through. Bull died about 30 seconds after the video cut. I've had similar results with a 338 RUM and 250 grain Partitions......elk often don't die immediately.

BTW...at the end of the video, the dry fire was a result of a magazine malfunction. After the mag was reloaded and a new round chambered, the bull was dead.

The teenage daughter is recoil sensitive and the 7-08 and 120 grain bills are the ticket for lethal accuracy and result in confidence for her. None of the big game mentioned above have stopped a 120 grain BT.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/19/20
I have killed ~ 100 deer or antelope with this formula:
6mmBR 95 gr NBT
257Roberts Ackley or 25-06 115 gr NBT
6.5-06 120 gr NBT
270 130 gr NBT
280AI or 7mmRM 140 gr NBT

I have shot a lot of 7mmRM 120 gr NBT at targets, but at 500 yards the 140 gr NBT was winning on the targets.
Posted By: DoeDumper Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/19/20
Killed a pile of deer with that bullet in a 7-08. Worked like magic at 2850. Bumped it up close to 3100 with CFE and it done some crazy stuff at close range. Always quick kills but definitely more predictable at 2850. My shots ranged from 5-150 yds.
Posted By: Mull Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/19/20
50+ Whitetails, Along With Pigs, Bears, Turtles, Crows,Snakes And Few Other Thinks I'd Rather Not Mention..Biggest Was a Big Boar Black Bear 416Lb.. They Have Severed Me Well In My 08's..
Posted By: hillbillybear Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/19/20

Yep the 61.0 grain load is what I am running.
Posted By: Elvis Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/19/20
Does the 120gn BT out penetrate the 140gn BT?
Posted By: JGRaider Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/19/20
Originally Posted by DoeDumper
Killed a pile of deer with that bullet in a 7-08. Worked like magic at 2850. Bumped it up close to 3100 with CFE and it done some crazy stuff at close range. Always quick kills but definitely more predictable at 2850. My shots ranged from 5-150 yds.

I couldn't agree more. That little bullet at that velocity is a game killing machine.
Posted By: Tejano Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 03/20/20
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
[quote=hillbillybear]

What are you shooting, and at what distance? I can think of far better choices for the 7 Rem Mag than 120 NBT.

P

Typically I shoot 160-175s in the 7RM but I shot the 120 Barnes-X for a couple of years and really liked it. The 120s would be for a point and shoot load for heavy South Tx. brush where any tracking can be a nightmare. I am also shooting 110 TTSXs in the 270 WSM so I thought the 120 7RM would make a good pairing.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 07/31/20
Why the "Blue Meanie" reference when the tips are red?

Posted By: WVGuy Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 07/31/20
A couple of years ago, there was a over run of the 7mm 120 gr BT with blue tips. I am thinking the price was around ten dollars a box. Someone in the plant picked the wrong tips for the run. What a windfall for us, not so much for Nosler.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 07/31/20
Originally Posted by WVGuy
A couple of years ago, there was a over run of the 7mm 120 gr BT with blue tips. I am thinking the price was around ten dollars a box. Someone in the plant picked the wrong tips for the run. What a windfall for us, not so much for Nosler.

Thanks .........I just paid $31.57 CDN plus tx and shipping yesterday and was lucky to find them here. Most 7mm NBTs available here are 140s and 150s.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: 7mm 120-gr NBT - 07/31/20
Originally Posted by WVGuy

Yep. I bought a thousand of them.

P
© 24hourcampfire