Home
Posted By: boatammo Shooting bench - 04/01/20
Got a great right handed portable bench. I need advise on a good bench that might be resalable. For this year at least I need a left handed bench. If it's salable price no object. And if I don't sell it I'll need it anyway. And I know I can reverse mine but pard is a righty.
Posted By: boatammo Re: Shooting bench - 04/01/20
Haven't bought in bench in forever and haven't looked.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Shooting bench - 04/01/20
There are a lot of online plans available. I will be making an ambidextrous one soon.
Posted By: Steve_in_OR Re: Shooting bench - 04/01/20
Sounds like eye, shoulder, or wrist surgery. Hope you don't end up being a permanent left hand shooter-it ain't a good deal.
Good luck buddy,
Steve
Posted By: devnull Re: Shooting bench - 04/01/20
It it doesn't need to be portable, build one. Here's my thread on the one I built 2 weeks ago:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ff-covid-new-shooting-bench#Post14695438

Plans are listed in the thread. The cost to build it with pressure treated lumber was a little over $100.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Shooting bench - 04/01/20
I built a bench last year using the leg brackets from rjencks here on the 'Fire. The leg brackets work great. Since I shoot left handed, and everyone else in the family shoots right, I built a "U" pattern bench to allow shooting from the right or the left.

If I were going to do it over, I would build a "T" pattern bench. The "U" pattern works well shooting from one side or the other for a range session. However, when swapping between left and right handed shooters, requires moving everything back and forth from one side of the bench the other, front rest, rear rest, bags, any ply shims to adjust elevation etc. I think using the "T" style bench, it would be much easier to just move the seat for the shooter back and forth.

JMO...
Posted By: boatammo Re: Shooting bench - 04/01/20
Thank You very much guys. It needs to be solid and light as I move several times aday. just found out I will have to do this yesterday at least thru this year.
Posted By: boatammo Re: Shooting bench - 04/02/20
Thanks
Got it handled. flipped mine over. and buddy and I will carry 2 benches and buy a ambidextrous
in the fall if we have to.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Shooting bench - 04/02/20
This one was in Shooting Times many yeas ago. Mine has served me well.

http://www.portercalls.com/portable_shooting_bench.htm
Posted By: 300_savage Re: Shooting bench - 04/02/20
I've got one of the Knotholedesigns.com shooting benches, and it's my favorite of all I've tried. Good pictures on their website, and it is available in left hand.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Shooting bench - 04/02/20
300 savage: I have bought at least 20 items from "Knothole Designs" over the last 15 years or so.
He comes in person to a lot of the gunshows in Montana and Idaho.
One of my friends did buy the portable bench in question from Knothole Designs and he really enjoys it - I have shot off of it a couple of times myself and it works, it is relatively cheap and rather sturdy.
I have owned 3 (three) different "portable shooting benches" for some time now and owned them since before "Knothole Designs" became known to me - or I would buy one of his.
Good luck to Boatammo in dealing with this situation.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Shooting bench - 04/02/20
I built this one. Pretty handy and long enough for my free standing Magnetospeed chrono.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: 300_savage Re: Shooting bench - 04/02/20
Varmintguy, I too have purchased 3 or 4 portable benches over the years....none are perfect, but some work pretty well. After I got the Knothole bench, a friend and I went prairie dogging on some public land. To get to a good shooting spot we had to walk a fair bit from the road. One of us carried both rifles, the other the bench and we each had ammo and binoculars and watar in our packs. I really appreciated the portability of it. Wouldn't want to carry it too far, but with a glove a one-hand carry is actually practical with it. We all need to hold into the wind right now.....take care!
Posted By: gsganzer Re: Shooting bench - 04/12/20
I just built a semi-portable shooting bench for my deer lease using 6" purlins and 2" square tube. I say semi-portable because it has skids (runners) so we can pull it to different distances. It's actually light enough that two guys could load it in the back of a pickup if you wanted to transport it. It might be the best shooting bench I've ever used, dimensionally and stability wise and works for right and left handers.

I'm going to bolt some 50 cal ammo cans to it to hold shooting bags, stapler, targets etc. so they're always with the bench. I found an awesome roll-up shooting bag, that when unrolled, serves as a gunsmithing mat. When rolled up, it fits in a can. The Grouper sandbag

I don't have a photo hosting website and I'm on the road right now, but if someone wants to post them for me, send me a PM and I'll send the photo's to you.
Posted By: montanabadger Re: Shooting bench - 04/12/20
Lonny a member on the fire makes the brackets for the legs, you will need pipe threaded on one end for the legs. I built the table top from 2 layers of 3/4 plywood, and covered it with carpet. If you want I can text you pictures of mine, if you PM me your cell number. The bench is very stable.
Posted By: boatammo Re: Shooting bench - 04/12/20
All good stuff.
Posted By: centershot Re: Shooting bench - 04/14/20
Have a cutout on each side of mine. Just move your chair to the other side.
© 24hourcampfire