Home
Posted By: Pappy348 "New" FN .270 - 06/12/20
Picked up my Gunbroker score today, an FN custom of sorts. 21" barrel with recessed square crown, M70 safety, hinged FP that looks to be a Jerry Fisher or copy with the almost right-angle release button. Engine-turning on bolt, extractor and follower. Stock is a bit wild for my tastes but nicely done with extensive very fine checkering, maybe 22-24 lines per inch, and ribbons, and a very thin grip, plus a checkered schnabel. The biggest mystery is the name Morton stamped on the bottom of the stock behind the grip cap, which is plastic. Never heard of a stockmaking company, stockmaker, or gunsmith named Morton.

The rifle is in excellent shape, but has obviously been carried and hunted by the wear on the grip checkering and other places. Pics to follow, but does anyone know about Morton?

Thanks.
Posted By: boliep Re: "New" FN .270 - 06/12/20

It could be the name of a previous owner. Hard to tell without any pictures.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: "New" FN .270 - 06/13/20
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Definitely looks like a maker's mark to me. Who'd have a stamp like that other than a stockmaker or company? The owner would want it nicer and elsewhere.

Just occurred to me that it might be the person that did the checkering.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: "New" FN .270 - 06/13/20
Sweet, Pappy.
And a bargain, IMO.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: "New" FN .270 - 06/13/20
Nice rifle!

The name behind the grip is interesting. Haven't seen maker's stamps there--usually they're inside the barrel channel, if they exist--but who knows? You might check the "Custom Rifles" section of old GUN DIGEST annuals to see if the name Morton turns up, but it doesn't ring a memory bell with me.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: "New" FN .270 - 06/13/20
WOW, that's gorgeous! Especially for an effin' 270. smile
Thanks, good idea. That's why you get the Big Bucks!

Haven't pulled it down, just disassembled the bolt (easy-peasy) to clean and lube it. Had a bunch of green fuzz in the bore like someone left CLP in there for a couple of decades, but that pushed right out with some more on a patch.

Hope it turns out to be an Old Shooter.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: "New" FN .270 - 06/13/20
I have an older custom Mauser in .30-06, made on a G33/40 military action, that also has some definite Germanic features, though not quite as much of a Schnabel as yours. The bolt handle, however, is a sort of combo of the butterknife and ball-head. It has not name anywhere on it to indicate a maker, but is also definitely professional work. Found it at Capital Sports a couple years ago and could not resist. Might post some photos later as it is also something of a mystery.

In fact, one of the assignments recently put on my list for RIFLE magazine is on such "mystery rifles." I have several, and Eileen also has one, a German combo gun with a 16-gauge barrel under a rifle barrel in 9x72R. It is apparently a so-called "guild gun," and also does not have any markings indicating the maker--or makers.
Posted By: Huntz Re: "New" FN .270 - 06/13/20
Maybe Morton was the name of the person the rifle was built for??Cool old custom.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Nice rifle!

The name behind the grip is interesting. Haven't seen maker's stamps there--usually they're inside the barrel channel, if they exist--but who knows? You might check the "Custom Rifles" section of old GUN DIGEST annuals to see if the name Morton turns up, but it doesn't ring a memory bell with me.

Looks like JB gets another star in his crown. In the 1964 GUN DIGEST, they list Morton Gunworks in Witchita Falls, TX. I'm willing to go with that.

Pulled the stock. Glass-bedded in the chamber area. Trigger is a Mashburn Arms, not a D-T as I guessed from its profile. Bolt will close on a round dropped on the follower. Chamber appears to be a genuine .270, not some magnum (guess why I checked that!). Mag box won't accept the same 160gr load I make up for my other FN and the M70 my son uses, so I have to go a bit deeper.

Thanks, John.
Posted By: 3dtestify Re: "New" FN .270 - 06/13/20
Apparently, Paul Morton had only one hand! He performed exceptional work with his handicap and was known for his elaborate schnaubel for end treatment. Sounds like you've figured out the maker.
That's very interesting, and helpful. Thanks very much!
Okay, one last question: What kind of walnut does that stock appear to be made from? To my eye, the butt could be either black or thin-shell, but the forend has some pores that make me think (hope) English. Opinions?
Posted By: nick Re: "New" FN .270 - 06/13/20
Very nice checkering, and the "schnabel to beat all schnabels"!
Hope she shoots good for ya.
Posted By: windridge Re: "New" FN .270 - 06/13/20
It's nice to see a rifle that looks like a real rifle, not a plastic replica. Good score!
Posted By: Tejano Re: "New" FN .270 - 06/13/20
Cool rifle. That schnabel is like a comb over and duck tail combined. Really can't tell from the photos but the wood has characteristics of a couple types of walnut which makes me think it could be Royal or Bastonge But it is more like an English walnut than Black or Claro. Royal can have more open pores but Bastonge usually not.

Texas had a history of German gunsmiths for a long time both from the early German settlers and more recent immigrants.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: "New" FN .270 - 06/14/20
Congrats on a cool snag !
Posted By: M1Garand Re: "New" FN .270 - 06/14/20
Awesome rifle!
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: "New" FN .270 - 06/14/20
Pappy,

Was looking through the custom guns sections in my collection of GUN DIGESTS to see if I could find anything resembling my Mauser .30-06. Did not--but found two Morton sporters, both with the same sort of distinctive Schnabel on your rifle, in the 1956 and 1960 editions.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: "New" FN .270 - 06/14/20
Thanks, John. I'll try and pick those up.

Good luck with your quest. Mine was a snowbird with all the help I got here.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: "New" FN .270 - 06/14/20
Or I could photocopy the pages and mail them to you....
Thanks for the offer. Let me see what Amazon has. Can always use more dusty moldy old books.

Nobody asked, but I got this for $799. I think I did well, which is really all that matters I guess.

Thanks to all for all the interest and assistance.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jwp475 Re: "New" FN .270 - 06/14/20

Very nice rifle
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: "New" FN .270 - 06/14/20
Very nice rifle indeed. What period correct scope will you put on top of that?
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
Very nice rifle indeed. What period correct scope will you put on top of that?

I'll look around, but there's no guarantee that's what I'll use. Already have the rings for the Talley bases. I'm gonna hunt this puppy. It's far from perfect, and the owner certainly hunted it, as evidenced by the wear on the grip and other contact points on the stock. It would be a shame to let it sit idle. Don't want scope issues to complicate my testing and load development.

The same seller I bought it from also sells a lot of used scopes.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: "New" FN .270 - 06/15/20
Found both editions of GUN DIGEST John mentioned on Amazon. On the way.

Also checked my few old copies of RIFLE, including #1, hoping to find an advert for Morton Gunworks, but no cigar.
Posted By: SS336 Re: "New" FN .270 - 06/15/20
Very interesting rifle, read John’s post on his no-name custom first and then came here. That checkering would been difficult with two hands let alone one. The forend tip is wild, every time I look at it I like it a little more.
I think you stole it at that price, very nice
Posted By: pete53 Re: "New" FN .270 - 06/15/20
very nice rifle ! i don`t see any fine classic rifle like yours very often anymore , seems the new hunters want black plastic .
Posted By: model70man Re: "New" FN .270 - 06/15/20
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediafiles/119347/download--3--170791.JPG
Posted By: ckat Re: "New" FN .270 - 06/15/20
Pappy,

Did you see this in your research? Pretty interesting stuff!

Originally Posted by ggibbs
Talked to Dad this morning about this. The guys name was Paul Morton. Dad said he died 30, maybe even 40 years ago. Yes, he lost part of his arm just above the wrist when a customer brought a loaded shotgun into his shop for some work.

He did some work for Dad on a Mannlicher-Schönauer in the late '50's or early '60's. He said he did beautiful work but was crotchety and sometimes downright rude and condescending. Dad said his stock work was known for the hand-carved Schnabel for ends on them. He also said he remembered one of his rifles being featured in a Gun Digest back in the '60's. I still have Dads Gun Digest from 1966, I'll look at it and see if that happens to be the one.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/hometow...Gun-Works--Wichita-Falls-Texas/8-611749/

Nice rifle, BTW!!!
Posted By: Scotty Re: "New" FN .270 - 06/15/20
Nice looking gun that you picked up.
Posted By: PJGunner Re: "New" FN .270 - 06/15/20
Has anyone ever heard of a J. Derrick? That's on the barrel of my .35 Whelen right above the caliber marking. One the floorplate is inscribed, "1925 above "BIG RED" in quotation marks. Rifle is based on an Oberndorf Mauser and on the left side of the receiver it's marked Gew 98. Forearm tip and grip cap are elephant ivory.
Paul B.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: "New" FN .270 - 06/15/20
This just keeps getting better.

I watched this thing go through a couple of "cycles" on GB, then finally couldn't hold off any longer and bid. I knew it was a nice rifle, but didn't think it would be this much fun.

JimHnSTL, I've picked up a very nice M8 4x and am working on a 6 too. Maybe not totally PC, but in the ballpark, and certainly something that might have replaced the original scope at some point. There's also a nice K4.

Again, thanks to all.
© 24hourcampfire