Home
Posted By: frank500 338 Federal - 06/17/20
Wondering if anyone has shot 250 grain Hornady round nose in their 338 Federal?
Posted By: MOW Re: 338 Federal - 06/17/20
Hello Frank,

I'm not a gun writer, but the Speer Hotcore 200 using CFE-223 and 160 Barnes TTSX using A-2230 shoot well out of my Browning A-Bolt.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 338 Federal - 06/17/20
Originally Posted by frank500

Would think that heavy a bullet in a small capacity round would be moving pretty slow.

What are you using it for?

DF
Posted By: 65BR Re: 338 Federal - 06/17/20
What DF said...........Seating depth kills case capacity with heavies.......I even ran 225s in my -06.

IMHO, the 185 Barnes, 200 flat base, and 210 Partition are the sweet spot for the Fed.
Posted By: bwinters Re: 338 Federal - 06/17/20
I have a 338 Fed and have various 250 gr bullets. I've not tried any 250, mainly because the 210 Partition shoots so well. Even the 185 TTSX eats alot of case capacity due to magazine box length on most rifles. I think the other issue is meeting the velocity envelope of the 250 grain bullets. I'd bet it would be a struggle to reach 2400 ft/sec and 2300 more likely. With the really high BC of round nose bullets (lol), effective yardage would be limited.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 338 Federal - 06/17/20
Originally Posted by 65BR
What DF said...........Seating depth kills case capacity with heavies.......I even ran 225s in my -06.

IMHO, the 185 Barnes, 200 flat base, and 210 Partition are the sweet spot for the Fed.

I don't even use the 250 in my .338-06, and it has more powder room than the .338 Fed.

Don't neglect the 160 TTSX. That one is very accurate in my .338-06 and cranks along at around 3K fps. Not sure how fast the .338 Fed would push it, but with these new powders, probably pretty fast.

The 160 TTSX, reportedly, has great terminal performance on critters, especially at higher speeds. Have not yet used one on an animal, just reporting what I've heard and read. 180's are also worthy of consideration.

To me, it's not too unlike the .308, 30-06 comparison. The .308 and '06 perform pretty close with lighter bullets, the bigger round pulls away with heavies.

DF
Posted By: vapodog Re: 338 Federal - 06/17/20

Hodgdon doesn't even publish data for a 250 grain bullet in the .338 Federal......but I suspect you already know that. I'd suggest the 185 Barnes as a substitute.....it's one impressive amount of work in a short cartridge.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 338 Federal - 06/17/20
I have loaded for both the 338-06 and 338 FED a bit. I have settled on the 210 grain Partition for both, as it provides the balance of accuracy, penetration, and velocity potential that I'm looking for. I have looked at moving to the 200 grain AB in the 338 FED, but haven't gotten around to it yet.
Posted By: frank500 Re: 338 Federal - 06/18/20
I live and play in northwest Wyoming. Maybe you’ve heard we’re rather overstocked with grizzlies. I black bear hunt in Montana simply because black bears aren’t common any more between wolves and grizzlies. I don’t shoot much beyond two hundred and fifty yards. I believe momentum is important on bears.
I shoot 200 grain partitions in my 06’s and 308s. 2400 fps and up with good long case life. The 338 Federal equals my 308 loads with a 200 grain bullet. Like I stated, I have lots of 250 Hornady round nose bullets. If they could be loaded to 2400 fps that would be a marvelous load.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 338 Federal - 06/18/20
I live and play in northwest Wyoming. Maybe you’ve heard we’re rather overstocked with grizzlies. I black bear hunt in Montana simply because black bears aren’t common any more between wolves and grizzlies. I don’t shoot much beyond two hundred and fifty yards. I believe momentum is important on bears.
I shoot 200 grain partitions in my 06’s and 308s. 2400 fps and up with good long case life. The 338 Federal equals my 308 loads with a 200 grain bullet. Like I stated, I have lots of 250 Hornady round nose bullets. If they could be loaded to 2400 fps that would be a marvelous load.

If penetration is what you desire, you may want to do actual penetration tests with bullets like the Barnes 185 TTSX, even the 160 TTSX. Could be interesting. I'm asking if a faster, lighter mono will out penetrate a slower RN C&C bullet.

200 NPT's in .30 cal are known to penetrate very well, better than some larger caliber bullets, based on actual tests.

IMO, go with test results. They may not be what you think.

DF
Posted By: beretzs Re: 338 Federal - 06/18/20
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

If penetration is what you desire, you may want to do actual penetration tests with bullets like the Barnes 185 TTSX, even the 160 TTSX. Could be interesting. I'm asking if a faster, lighter mono will out penetrate a slower RN C&C bullet.

200 NPT's in .30 cal are known to penetrate very well, better than some larger caliber bullets, based on actual tests.

DF

That'd be worth putting a pile of water jugs out! I am betting that a 185 TTSX is going to get as deep as anything Hornady..
Posted By: Teeder Re: 338 Federal - 06/18/20
"That'd be worth putting a pile of water jugs out! I am betting that a 185 TTSX is going to get as deep as anything Hornady.."

I haven't tried a Hornady, but the 185 TTSX out penetrated 210 PT's out of my .338-06.
This was in milk jugs, so take that for what it's worth.
Posted By: noKnees Re: 338 Federal - 06/18/20
I have put three of them through a moose shoulder from a 338RCM, 2 exits, 1 in under the skin on the far side. I wouldn't be overly concerned with penetration
Posted By: RemModel8 Re: 338 Federal - 06/18/20
Peanut butter on toast. I know that has nothing to do with the question you asked, but then neither do 90% of the replies.
Originally Posted by beretzs

DF

That'd be worth putting a pile of water jugs out! I am betting that a 185 TTSX is going to get as deep as anything Hornady..

I've got a couple of boxes with old Brownell catalogs, gun magazines stacked vertically and tied together, waiting for an opportunity to test bullet penetration. Some claim that is preferable to water jugs.

DF
Posted By: hanco Re: 338 Federal - 06/18/20
I shoot the 160 TTSX in my 338 Win Mag. Really accurate, easy on shoulder. Plenty good for Whitetail and piggies.
Originally Posted by hanco
I shoot the 160 TTSX in my 338 Win Mag. Really accurate, easy on shoulder. Plenty good for Whitetail and piggies.

How fast and what kinda terminal performance are you seeing?

DF
Posted By: scottishkat Re: 338 Federal - 06/18/20

I looked at the data I have and 2400 is a push with the 225. The 250 is going to be slower yet. The 160TTSX and the 185 T/TSX shoot very well in my Sako and penetration is not an issue. I harvested a 150 pound whitetail with the 160 TTSX the deer was shot through the neck into the body penetrating hide 3 times and ended up in its hip after penetrating about 30" from 125 or so yards away. The load was 49 grains of 8208 which from memory is a full grain shy of max.

I really like the 160 if bears were on the menu I would use the 185. The 210 NPT was easy to get to shoot well and that would be the heaviest bullet I would utilize in the 338F.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all
Posted By: 2525 Re: 338 Federal - 06/18/20
I don't have one. The Powley computer reckons 2250 fps from 24" and QuickLoad figures a little over 2300. Beats me if that will be enough speed for your needs.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 338 Federal - 06/18/20
I have not found the extra initial diameter of .33-caliber bullets results in significantly more expanded diameter than .30 caliber bullets. This is from measuring the expanded diameter of a BUNCH of bullets recovered from big game from both calibers. The size of holes made by bullets is what kills big game, not theory--or depth of penetration in water-filled jugs.

Had a .338 Federal for a while, and observed some others used on big game. Could not see any difference in how it killed big game compared to the .30-06, which isn't amazing since they both get about the same muzzle velocity with similar bullet weights. That said, it works as well as the .30-06 when good bullets are put in the right place.
Posted By: frank500 Re: 338 Federal - 06/19/20
Thank you Mule Deer. It seems to me that I’ll stick with my 308 and 30/06. 200 grain partitions in both seem to work pretty good🙄
Posted By: Teeder Re: 338 Federal - 06/19/20
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have not found the extra initial diameter of .33-caliber bullets results in significantly more expanded diameter than .30 caliber bullets. This is from measuring the expanded diameter of a BUNCH of bullets recovered from big game from both calibers. The size of holes made by bullets is what kills big game, not theory--or depth of penetration in water-filled jugs.

Had a .338 Federal for a while, and observed some others used on big game. Could not see any difference in how it killed big game compared to the .30-06, which isn't amazing since they both get about the same muzzle velocity with similar bullet weights. That said, it works as well as the .30-06 when good bullets are put in the right place.

There goes MD throwing a wet blanket on us again.
Keep it up and we'll revoke you're rifle looney card! laugh
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 338 Federal - 06/19/20
Thank you Mule Deer. It seems to me that I’ll stick with my 308 and 30/06. 200 grain partitions in both seem to work pretty good🙄

Don't think you or the critters will be able to tell a difference.

But, that's so un-Loony... blush

grin

DF
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 338 Federal - 06/19/20
On the other hand, if a true-blue rifle loony gets a thrill from using a "different" cartridge, then why not?

That's probably 99% of loonyism--and new rifle sales, and gunsmithing work, which boost the economy.
Posted By: prm Re: 338 Federal - 06/21/20
I haven’t tried a 250. I did try 225 Partitions. ~2500fps, but accuracy was not good. The 160 TTSX is excellent. Mule Deer, I did recover one 160 from the offside hide of a Waterbuck, and it measured .75” across. Turned the near shoulder and internals into soup.

Also, if MD says it performs like an -06, I consider that high praise! I’ve only shot about 11 critters with the Fed, three bull elk, kudu, gemsbok, down to smaller things like whitetails, Impala and a hog. Not one has made it very far. Maybe 30 yds? That was a bull elk that had no remaining heart.

Still pondering my bullet choice for elk this year. Leaning towards a 200 Northfork at 2650.
Posted By: jdb Re: 338 Federal - 06/21/20

If they kill similar then if a guy was wanting 06 performance in a short action the .338 federal might be just the ticket?
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 338 Federal - 06/21/20
In my experience just about any cartridge in that general class will kill as well as another, but .30 caliber bullets of the same construction and basic weight will penetrate deeper.

If a short action is your heart's desire, then the .338 Federal might be the deal. But the .308 Winchester also works great.
Posted By: WAM Re: 338 Federal - 06/21/20
I think the big difference comes if you are wearing blue or black socks that day. Happy Trails
Posted By: scottishkat Re: 338 Federal - 06/22/20
Originally Posted by prm
I haven’t tried a 250. I did try 225 Partitions. ~2500fps, but accuracy was not good. The 160 TTSX is excellent. Mule Deer, I did recover one 160 from the offside hide of a Waterbuck, and it measured .75” across. Turned the near shoulder and internals into soup.

Also, if MD says it performs like an -06, I consider that high praise! I’ve only shot about 11 critters with the Fed, three bull elk, kudu, gemsbok, down to smaller things like whitetails, Impala and a hog. Not one has made it very far. Maybe 30 yds? That was a bull elk that had no remaining heart.

Still pondering my bullet choice for elk this year. Leaning towards a 200 Northfork at 2650.

I rescued a 160 TTSX from the deer above and the diameter was the same the bullets around here somewhere. Its in the .700 range and looks like the Barnes add. I agree with MD's observations I have harvested more than a few whitetails with .308 130 and 150 TSX and .338 160 and 185 T/TSX and I have not noticed a major difference. I am sure the frontal diameter changes with different bullets/ogives though.

PRM I'm surprised you would use anything on an elk other than a 160 TTSX I recall a few posts the last time you harvested an elk with it looked pretty successful. Maybe it was with another bullet not sure now but I recall a blood trail a blind man could follow. Every time I harvest one of the deer here with them it seems like they drill a hole through them like 2" in diameter between the entry and the exit.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all the season is going to be on us soon.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 338 Federal - 06/22/20

If a short action is your heart's desire, then the .338 Federal might be the deal.

Hard to beat a short action 30/06. shocked My 338 Federal is in a Savage 99 and it loves the 160 ttsx. If I wanted to shoot another flavor of short action 30/06 I've also got a 99 in 30/284. It's a screamer with 130 ttsx's but that's a topic for another day.
Posted By: prm Re: 338 Federal - 06/22/20
Originally Posted by scottishkat

PRM I'm surprised you would use anything on an elk other than a 160 TTSX I recall a few posts the last time you harvested an elk with it looked pretty successful. Maybe it was with another bullet not sure now but I recall a blood trail a blind man could follow. Every time I harvest one of the deer here with them it seems like they drill a hole through them like 2" in diameter between the entry and the exit.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all the season is going to be on us soon.

If I do use something other than the 160 it’s because of curiosity only. The 160 performs about as perfectly as a bullet can in my estimation. If anything it damages more than a preferred amount of meat. But damage is what we want from the bullet for quick kills on heart/lung shots so I accept that and try to keep shots towards the heart.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 338 Federal - 06/22/20
I was surprised how accurate the 160 TTSX was out of my .338-06.

DF
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: 338 Federal - 06/23/20

I don't think anyone has answered the OP's question yet, although a couple of posters have come semi-close. No doubt all well intentioned, but....

The OP asked about 250 grain Hornady Round noses out of a .338 FED, not 210's, 160's or anything out of a different chambering.

I'm also really interested in hearing answers to this question!

Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 338 Federal - 06/23/20
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs

I don't think anyone has answered the OP's question yet, although a couple of posters have come semi-close. No doubt all well intentioned, but....

The OP asked about 250 grain Hornady Round noses out of a .338 FED, not 210's, 160's or anything out of a different chambering.

SQUIRREL!
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 338 Federal - 06/23/20

Posters seem to be trying to let him know the 250 RN may not be an optimal choice for the 338 Fed.which seems to be an overwhelming consensus.

Suggestions have been posed in good faith, trying to help.

Probably not many using 250's for reasons covered.

DF
Posted By: RemModel8 Re: 338 Federal - 06/23/20

Posters seem to be trying to let him know the 250 RN may not be an optimal choice for the 338 Fed.which seems to be an overwhelming consensus.

DF

What you're saying is the OP isn't smart enough and it's the job of others to enlighten him.

Impressive narcissism on display in this thread.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 338 Federal - 06/23/20
Originally Posted by RemModel8

DF

What you're saying is the OP isn't smart enough and it's the job of others to enlighten him.

OP asked a question, got several answers, several options.

Has little to do with being "smart", just experience he's asking about.

Not sure "narcissism" is an appropriate description.

DF
Posted By: Kurt52 Re: 338 Federal - 06/23/20
I bowhunt, but have a .338 Fed Kimber Montana as a loaner rifle and for walking back to meat in grizzly country. A couple years ago I loaned out the .338 F to a buddy who flew up to northern BC where I picked him up. He shot a moose with it. Two shots at close range, neither 160 gr Barnes TTSX were recovered as they went through the chest broadside. Moose went 10 or 15 yards, then needed to be packed out the rest of the way. Looked like great performance to me on the moose carcass.

I tried 200 gr Hornady spire points, 180 Nosler Accubonds, both of which came with the used rifle along with cases and dies, but they shot significantly poorer groups than the 160 TTSX. I use a max load of IMR 8208 with them. The 160s also kick significantly less than the heavier bullets in a 5#-12ounce rifle with scope.
Posted By: ChuckK Re: 338 Federal - 06/23/20
I have 2 338fed 1 a ruger #3 21" and 1 98 mauser. I have a few 250 horn rns and time on my hands so am going try some.I will use a chronograph and begin with starting loads for the 358 win and see where it goes.Will report back. mauser is 24" brl
Posted By: frank500 Re: 338 Federal - 06/23/20
Thank you Chuck. I’d like to see pics of the 98......
Posted By: ChuckK Re: 338 Federal - 06/23/20
I have 2 338fed 1 a ruger #3 21" and 1 98 mauser. I have a few 250 horn rns and time on my hands so am going try some.I will use a chronograph and begin with starting loads for the 358 win and see where it goes.Will report back. mauser is 24" brl
Posted By: bwinters Re: 338 Federal - 06/24/20

DF

+1 for DF.

If only those of us respond that have used 250 in 338 Fed be an awfully short thread........
Posted By: RemModel8 Re: 338 Federal - 06/24/20
Originally Posted by bwinters

DF

+1 for DF.

If only those of us respond that have used 250 in 338 Fed be an awfully short thread........

And?
Posted By: RemModel8 Re: 338 Federal - 06/24/20

DF

OP asked a question, got several answers, several options.

Has little to do with being "smart", just experience he's asking about.

Not sure "narcissism" is an appropriate description.

DF

Again you don't see the folly in saying 'experience'.

He asked about 250gr RN, to which you have NO experience with. So how exactly is your zero experience an example of helpful experience?
Posted By: Ready Re: 338 Federal - 06/24/20
Peanut butter on toast. I know that has nothing to do with the question you asked, but then neither do 90% of the replies.

Signature line material. Fits 90% of campfire threads.
Posted By: Teeder Re: 338 Federal - 06/24/20
"
+1 for DF.

If only those of us respond that have used 250 in 338 Fed be an awfully short thread........"

Probably wouldn't be any replies.
Posted By: Ready Re: 338 Federal - 06/24/20
What are you saying, Teeder? Spirit of the times? Hits over content? Perhaps we should move to 24 hour instagram...

Originally Posted by Dr. Ian Malcolm
Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 338 Federal - 06/24/20
Regarding the Peanut Butter comment, thanks for your ZERO contribution in sharing relevant info as to what IS viable in a 338 Federal.

Good info by many posters above. I will say I agree as the comments about the 338F being nice for a short action. In the 90s I built a 338-06, but later mocked up a dummy round with a 200 BT in a 308 case.........I DO see it as a good round, like JB said, its kills like an 06/200 and that's saying a lot. No it will not give quite the trajectory. I see the 338F as a great SA round, for use to 300 yds, it can be stretched, an article by Layne Simpson as I recalled, shot a bull elk at 314 yds using a 185 Barnes, and it worked fine. So too would a 308 or 358/225 for that matter.

Yes, chamberings are like ice cream, many flavors, most do the job.

Nothing against the common plane jane 308, BUT, given the choice, to 250 yds on bear, personally I might just opt for a 338F using either 185 Barnes or 210PT as I mentioned above. A Flat base spitzer in 200 would do well as a Speer hot core. The 200 BT or AB (Jeff) is likely a bit longish in COL, and would eat a bit of capacity in many rifles. A long mag box or say a long action magazine for the Tikka would help, if chamber throating allowed it. But I would just shoot what fits well while not robbing capacity.

Lastly, as to what works......I know what my old Rem 7 custom barreled in 7BR would do, lumbering along with a 175 at a measly 2250 or so mv, it sailed right thru a sizeable tree trunk.........I would have ZERO Qualms using it on Bear up to say 100 yds, to have some expansion.

As to the comment on momentum.....I would think more in terms of caliber of expanded projectile (i.e. permanent wound cavity) as well as penetration. That with vitals shot placement will equal solid success.........as will many other cartridge/bullet combos.

So for those contemplating the 338F, there are good choices, for many needs at common practical distances on many game animals. I see it as a great short action round which does fine in short to standard length barrels with it's modest capacity and fairly generous bore size - 19-22"

Good hunting folks.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 338 Federal - 06/24/20
Originally Posted by Teeder
"
+1 for DF.

If only those of us respond that have used 250 in 338 Fed be an awfully short thread........"

Probably wouldn't be any replies.

I see no downside, broadening the discussion beyond the rather narrow question as posed.

If I was asking, I'd appreciate other options and the experience of those who had tried those alternative options.

If the discussion was limited ONLY to those who were using or had used 250's in the 338 Fed; agree. probably crickets..... Like few to no responses, because it's probably not the optimal choice for that round.

Posters noted why it may not be optimal and gave opinions as to what they use or recommend. This is the way of the Fire and I like it like that, appreciate the info I get when I need or request help. And the answers may be different than the question.

Just me.

DF
Posted By: Teeder Re: 338 Federal - 06/24/20
[quote=Ready]What are you saying, Teeder? Spirit of the times? Hits over content? Perhaps we should move to 24 hour instagram...

I'm saying if responses were only regarding the original post about a Hornady 250 grn roundnose out of a .338 Fed, there probably wouldn't have been a single reply.
As DF says above, there were other opinions from experienced users offered and the OP can use or disregard as he sees fit.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 338 Federal - 06/24/20
When I had a .338 Federal the heaviest bullet I tried--out of a bunch ranging from the 160 TSX on up--was the 225 Partition. The highest velocity obtainable from the 22" barrel was 2439 fps, with LEVERevolution powder. Could not see any advantage in using a 250 of any sort after that, especially a roundnose--which would start out slower, probably around 2300, and slow down quicker.

Another point: Many handloaders believe longer bullets reduce velocity in short cartridges far more than they actually do. As an example, in that rifle it was possible the get around 2700 fps with 200-210 grain spitzers, using either 8208XBR or TAC. I would much rather use one of those in a .338 Federal than anything else, but partly because from my considerable experience with the .338 Winchester Magnum I found they work fine on just about anything a .338 is suitable for. And because of the moderate muzzle velocity, even relatively tender bullets work very well at that sort of velocity, as I also discovered when downloading the .338 WM somewhat during my years with that round.

In fact, at 2700 fps the Speer Hot-Cor works great--while its pretty soft for full-house .338 magnum velocities. (One friend commented that if you neck-shot a deer with the 200 HC at 2900-3000 fps, you had to go look for the head. He exaggerated, of course--but not much.) In that particular rifle it also shoot most accurately, slightly beating out the 160 TSX.

The only bullet I tried in the .338 Federal that resulted in lower velocities than others of the same general weight was the 210 TSX, which I could push much over 2500 fps with the powders tried, all selected from published data for getting the highest velocities in a particular bullet weight. But all the bullets grouped well enough for shooting big game out to practical .338 Federal ranges, say 300 yards or a little more.

If somebody wants to shoot 250-grain roundnoses out of a .338 Federal, why not? But I cannot see a single reason to, even in the .338 Winchester Magnum.
© 24hourcampfire