Home
I’m interested in a Kimber talkeetna. But a google search only turns up old posts and out of stock listings. I searched guns international, gb, and there are none. For as much bad press these got for not working (sarcasm hard to lay on in text) you think they would be for sale everywhere. Anyone know of one needing re-homed? Or does anyone have any inside production or lack of production info?
I got mine and am going to keep it, I assume others feel the same about theirs.

You cannot get a rifle with all the features the Talkeetna has, 4 round mag, barrel band, good stock, good sights, 3 position safety, stainless finish, for anywhere near the money that a Talkeenta costs. You also cannot build one cheaper, I build a Winchester 70 classic stainless with a Mcmillan stock, express sights and barrel band and have more in it than I paid for the Talkeetna.
Originally Posted by VaHunter
I got mine and am going to keep it, I assume others feel the same about theirs.

You cannot get a rifle with all the features the Talkeetna has, 4 round mag, barrel band, good stock, good sights, 3 position safety, stainless finish, for anywhere near the money that a Talkeenta costs. You also cannot build one cheaper, I build a Winchester 70 classic stainless with a Mcmillan stock, express sights and barrel band and have more in it than I paid for the Talkeetna.

^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^
Yep. This is my train of thought too. But I can’t seem to find one. New or used. Makes me wonder why.
I had one I unfortunately let get away. It's hard to find a nicer H&H than the Talkeetna. I looked for another one recently and ended up buying a .375 Ruger Guide Gun, which is also hard to find right now.
Try these places:

https://gun.deals/product/kimber-8400-talkeetna-375-h-h-mag-1708
Out of stock at everyone.
If someone knows where to find one please let me know!
Wished they had been around when I had a mate convert my Classic 270 into a 375H&H Belted Mag with modified D’Arcy Echols stock that D’Arcy put threaded cross bolts in, LW barrel and Duane Wiebe bottom metal. Lovely rifle but as mentioned above I have more in it than a new Talkeetna.

I had one many years ago, used it on an Ak. brown bear and later sold it. Bought another a year ago and will never sell it.

Originally Posted by misplacedinnebraska
If someone knows where to find one please let me know!

I’d post a WTB in the Classifieds.
I was thinking the same
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I had one many years ago, used it on an Ak. brown bear and later sold it. Bought another a year ago and will never sell it.

I was the lucky recipient of your sale. I still have it. It was an amazing bargain. Thank you very much.

I did put some raised irons on it and had the barrel shortened to 21" but those are personal choices. As received it was one of the more accurate big game rifles I have ever fired.

Gary
There’s one on gunbroker for 2200 used.

I called my favorite shop who are a Kimber master dealer. Kimber says 6+ months which in line with their current handgun lead time.

I got one on order.

Maybe it will be in for my birthday in April smile
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear

I was the lucky recipient of your sale. I still have it. It was an amazing bargain. Thank you very much.

I did put some raised irons on it and had the barrel shortened to 21" but those are personal choices. As received it was one of the more accurate big game rifles I have ever fired.

Gary

I don’t know if this is true or not, but I’ve heard multiple places that kreiger is making the barrels for the Talkeetnas
Alewife?
Originally Posted by Mjduct
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear

Gary

I don’t k is if this is true or not, but I’ve heard multiple places that alewife is making the barrels for the Talkeetnas

I have had my Talkeetna since shortly after they were introduced and I was under the impression at that time that Krieger was furnishing the barrels for them then. I could have gotten bad information though.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Alewife?

I typed in kreiger... damn phone autocorrect. Glad to see that y’all confirmed it smile they make a great barrel!

Autocorrect got me worse yesterday... I sent a text to my buddy Oshay and autocorrect changed his name to “hi gay” I caught it before I hit send... Luckily
Originally Posted by Mjduct
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Alewife?

I typed in kreiger... damn phone autocorrect. Glad to see that y’all confirmed it smile they make a great barrel!

Autocorrect got me worse yesterday... I sent a text to my buddy Oshay and autocorrect changed his name to “hi gay” I caught it before I hit send... Luckily

Had you not caught and corrected it......it may have been a true test of your friendship! grin memtb
He’s about half my age and a professional trainer... I might have 30# on him but I would need it smile
Almost any Kimber rifle is out of stock. The few Mountain Ascents that are around are between $1650 and $2K. A lot of Hunters though. I don't know if the entire plant moved to LA. or AL. and still in re-organization mode? May take some time to get this all sorted out with some reasonable availabilities.
But the price points are getting ridiculous.
Troy, Alabama has had less restrictions than New York hopefully they haven’t been hit my the pandemic that hard.

Last I heard they could build the entire line of handguns and long guns in the Alabama plant. But they probably moved a lot more handguns... so if something falls off the back it’s probably the rifles. Hence why they are only offering like 4 calibers on their website.
According to this article:

https://www.petersenshunting.com/editorial/tested-kimber-talkeetna-review/329322

The kimber Talkeetna is a push feed, kinda like a tang safety 77?

Is this true?
Kimbers are are all controlled feed.

The Talkeetna is just like every other kimber 84 or 8400 action, the differences are in the stock and barrel. The case rim slides up under the claw and then once the rim clears the magazine rails it slides up under the extractor. You can short cycle it and unload the blind mag without ever closing the bolt. (been doing this for years with multiple Kimber, Montana, and Winchester rifles.

The only time the extractor "snaps over" the rim is if you drop a round in the action and close the bolt. If you feed by hand instead of from the magazine.

To someone without a clue, the bolt does "push" the cartridge until it clears the feed rails, but when the rim pops up out of the feed rails it is "controlled between the bolt face and the extractor, not floating in front of it getting "pushed" by the bolt face.

I don't know why the author wrote that. I have my doubts on the actual testing/ use of the rifle by the author.

If you look at it objectively, the article reads like an advertisement, talks about exploits in Alaska with no photos to back it up. I'd like ascenery shot if nothing else, don't have to always kill stuff. Talks about "tennis ball sized groups" at 100 yards, no photos or no actual group measurements from different types of ammo. Talks about weights with numbers that could be pulled off the internet, and no scale pictures. No trigger pull weight or description. Nothing that any decent rifle review would include.

The most original part of this article is the glamour shot on the front porch.
© 24hourcampfire