Home
Posted By: mooshoo 404 jeff or the 416 taylor - 10/21/20
what one would you rather have, just for sh*ts and giggles.
I have a .404 Jeffery.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: mooshoo Re: 404 jeff or the 416 taylor - 10/21/20
that's cool looking rig please details if you don't mind
Bought it from a gunsmith who made it for himself he fired about 20 rounds through it to sight it in and has not fired it in about 20 or so years. I have been drooling over that rifle for about three years before he finally decided to sell it,I bought it in November 2019.

It is made on an original Mauser 98 action,not tapped and drilled for a scope,the stock is made from ? wood and I have no idea who made the barrel. It has the original flag style safety of the Mauser 98's. Have not weighed it but I think it's in the 8 lb range and it balances very well in my hands.

Posted By: mooshoo Re: 404 jeff or the 416 taylor - 10/21/20
that my friend is one cool rifle!!
Thank you. smile
Rifle is a beaut! Great piece of walnut!
Posted By: CRS Re: 404 jeff or the 416 taylor - 10/22/20
elkhunter,
love the rifle

I have played around with 416 Rigby's and 404 Jeffery's.
I have since settled on a 416 Remington.. I like the better selection of 416 bullets and plan on working up a loads for the Barnes 350gr TSX and 300gr TSX..

I love the history of the 404, and used one to take a buffalo in Africa. If I could find the right rifle, I would own another one.
When I started my big bore journey, I looked very hard at the Taylor cartridge, and had it been commercialized, I probably would have went that direction.

So back to the original question. For kicks and giggles, I would probably choose a Taylor for pragmatism and the Jeffery for nostalgia. So whatever tickles your fancy. grin
Already have a 416 Taylor, and since having two 40-65's, '74 Sharps and original '86 Winchester, a 400 Whelen, and 400 H&H, don't see myself with ever a need for a 404 Jeffery, I'm flush with 40's, love em all, even 40 S&W and 10mm pistols ; ]
Posted By: mooshoo Re: 404 jeff or the 416 taylor - 10/22/20
super cool!
Wow!!! That rifle sure looks the part,
Posted By: bobmn Re: 404 jeff or the 416 taylor - 10/25/20
If Africa is in your future I would choose the 404 Jeffrey because of ammo availability if your ammo does not make it.
Damn, I missed it, fine looking 404 Elk, now there's your 400gr solid to ele brain delivery system! cool
Originally Posted by mooshoo
that my friend is one cool rifle!!

Indeed.
Well, maybe for those smaller wabbits.

Ain’t no .460...

Ha!

But an exceptional rifle.

DF
I like and own the 404 Jeffery. It is a Dakota Safari that weighs 8.5lbs.

I also own (2) Ruger RSMs in 416 Rigby, and a Dakota African in 416 Rigby. The trouble with these rifles is that they all weigh 9.5 lbs., and I like light rifles, within reason.

I just bought a Ruger SS/Lam African in 416 Ruger, which is close to the 416 Taylor. I think I will like this rifle for wet hunting conditions.

I have only taken the 404 Jeffery to Africa and it brought down two Buffalo for me, using 400 gr. SAF. For my next Buffalo(s), I plan to use the 430 gr. NF bullets. See how they work. I shoot it open sighted and the stock (Safari) fits my small hands perfectly, unlike the Dakota African stock.

Interestingly, the Ruger RSMs at a pound more in weight, recoil more than the lighter 404, probably due to stock design and cartridge ejecta (more powder) of the Rigby.

So, the 404 is my huckleberry. Yes, I love the history of the round as well, and the Rigby is flush with it also in the literature. But, the Jeffery did come first...🙂
Bud killed a nice buff in Zim, used 400 gr. TSX in Ruger RSM .416 Rigby. PH carried PF M-70 .416 REM. He liked the big Ruger, but said it was too heavy.

I know, I know a PF. PH probably not a Fire contributor, doesn’t realize how likely he is to get himself tromped, toting a PF rifle.

DF
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 404 jeff or the 416 taylor - 10/27/20
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Bud killed a nice buff in Zim, used 400 gr. TSX in Ruger RSM .416 Rigby. PH carried PF M-70 .416 REM. He liked the big Ruger, but said it was too heavy.

I know, I know a PF. PH probably not a Fire contributor, doesn’t realize how likely he is to get himself tromped, toting a PF rifle.

DF

Harry Shelby also used a push feed 458 for a number of years without getting stomped
Originally Posted by jwp475

DF

Harry Shelby also used a push feed 458 for a number of years without getting stomped

Yeah, what did ole Harry know.... blush

Probably wasn't a Fire contributor... grin

DF
Posted By: GSPfan Re: 404 jeff or the 416 taylor - 11/07/20
I have the Taylor built on a tang safety Ruger action. It's been to Africa and I used it on everything from warthogs to buffalo. I don't thing the light rifle ever got out of the vehicle. I've akso used it on elk and it sees a lot of use during deer season.
Posted By: szihn Re: 404 jeff or the 416 taylor - 11/07/20
In the "40 bores" I believe the 416 Taylor to be the best option for a custom build because it is the simplest to make on a STANDARD length Mauser. A 400 grain 416 at 2350 is the same as the old 416 Rigby,and I know of no one who says a 416 Rigby is a poor choice.

I have made about fifteen 416 Taylors and I kept 2 of them for some years and loved them. But today I don't have any. I do have a 404 Jeffery. Why? Because I used a 404 when I was in my 20s for nearly a year, and came to respect it and found it lacked for nothing, even using the old Kynoch ammo that shot a 400 grain at 2150 FPS. I used more of the newer RWS ammo however that fired a 400 at 2350. Those are deep and important memories for me, and so a few years ago I decided to make a similar rifle for Old Times Sake". I just like it .......because of the memories even though it's not exactly the same and the old 1920 made Jeffery was. My current 404 is just a nostalgia piece for me now.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by Steve Zihn, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by Steve Zihn, on [bleep]

But for "African style rifles" you have a budget, and if for example that was $2700 and you need to spend $ $1500 on an action that will leave $1200 for the stock, barrel, sights, sling swivels, mounts, pad sling and enough ammo to set the gun up and zero it in, AND THEN have some to pay the man to make it for you.

$1200 is not a lot for all that.

But with a 416 Taylor the action is a LOT less expensive,------------------like about $1000 less! That give you $1000 more to spend on goodies and labor and that makes for a WAY nicer gun for the same budget.
My 416 Taylors were nicer to carry too. Because of the standard size action they carry easier in the hand. Not "fat' like the Jeffery was and is.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]416 Taylor Mauser by Steve Zihn, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]416 #2 by Steve Zihn, on [bleep]
another with a peep sight:
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Sig's 416 Taylor by Steve Zihn, on [bleep]
So if I were to want an "African 40" to use instead of "to own" I would certainly go with the Taylor in preference to ANY other 40, 41 or 42 cal. Just makes a nicer gun for the same budget.

Or a plane gun for a lot less money.

Posted By: Bugger Re: 404 jeff or the 416 taylor - 11/07/20
Or you could buy a Ruger 416 Rigby at around $2k...
Posted By: mooshoo Re: 404 jeff or the 416 taylor - 11/07/20
Originally Posted by szihn
In the "40 bores" I believe the 416 Taylor to be the best option for a custom build because it is the simplest to make on a STANDARD length Mauser. A 400 grain 416 at 2350 is the same as the old 416 Rigby,and I know of no one who says a 416 Rigby is a poor choice.

I have made about fifteen 416 Taylors and I kept 2 of them for some years and loved them. But today I don't have any. I do have a 404 Jeffery. Why? Because I used a 404 when I was in my 20s for nearly a year, and came to respect it and found it lacked for nothing, even using the old Kynoch ammo that shot a 400 grain at 2150 FPS. I used more of the newer RWS ammo however that fired a 400 at 2350. Those are deep and important memories for me, and so a few years ago I decided to make a similar rifle for Old Times Sake". I just like it .......because of the memories even though it's not exactly the same and the old 1920 made Jeffery was. My current 404 is just a nostalgia piece for me now.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by .com/photos/156296479@N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by .com/photos/156296479@N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]

But for "African style rifles" you have a budget, and if for example that was $2700 and you need to spend $ $1500 on an action that will leave $1200 for the stock, barrel, sights, sling swivels, mounts, pad sling and enough ammo to set the gun up and zero it in, AND THEN have some to pay the man to make it for you.

$1200 is not a lot for all that.

But with a 416 Taylor the action is a LOT less expensive,------------------like about $1000 less! That give you $1000 more to spend on goodies and labor and that makes for a WAY nicer gun for the same budget.
My 416 Taylors were nicer to carry too. Because of the standard size action they carry easier in the hand. Not "fat' like the Jeffery was and is.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]416 Taylor Mauser by .com/photos/156296479@N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]416 #2 by .com/photos/156296479@N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]
another with a peep sight:
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Sig's 416 Taylor by .com/photos/156296479@N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]
So if I were to want an "African 40" to use instead of "to own" I would certainly go with the Taylor in preference to ANY other 40, 41 or 42 cal. Just makes a nicer gun for the same budget.

Or a plane gun for a lot less money.

those are awesome looking rifles!
Between those 2 cartridges, I would go with the 404 Jeffery because I prefer standardized cartridges to wildcats. That said, if I was looking for a 416 caliber rifle I would look at the 416 Remington Magnum or the 416 Ruger, if I didn't want a larger rifle housing the larger 416 Rigby cartridge. Everything that the 416 Taylor does the 416 Ruger can do and do it as a standard factory cartridge.
That's technically true regarding the Ruger, but a Taylor is the simplest sort of wildcat to work with, it's just one pass in a sizing die to make the case. Then you're not stuck being dependent on sourcing the unique Ruger case from only one maker, Hornady. Now that politics have gone the way they have, I can't imagine the Hornady folks saying "Let's stop making .223 and .308 for a couple days and crank out some .416 Ruger brass for those 50 guys who want some." I looked at this from every angle before deciding to go with a Taylor and decided that if a man loads his own, the Taylor is the better choice.
Originally Posted by Bugger

I think I remember where one could be found.

DF
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
Between those 2 cartridges, I would go with the 404 Jeffery because I prefer standardized cartridges to wildcats. That said, if I was looking for a 416 caliber rifle I would look at the 416 Remington Magnum or the 416 Ruger, if I didn't want a larger rifle housing the larger 416 Rigby cartridge. Everything that the 416 Taylor does the 416 Ruger can do and do it as a standard factory cartridge.

Quality Cartridge and Norma make .416 Taylor brass.
https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/3610?

Posted By: Bugger Re: 404 jeff or the 416 taylor - 11/08/20
Originally Posted by Bugger

I think I remember where one could be found.

DF

smile
Posted By: szihn Re: 404 jeff or the 416 taylor - 11/08/20
As a side note:
When Ruger came out with the 375 and 416 Ruger shells I though it was going to be an overnight success and that I'd end up buying both chamber reamers very quickly. Outstanding idea on both shells and they fit in standard actions yet give classic ballistics.

Nope. I called that one wrong -----and I have no idea why it is that since they were introduced I have made 2 more 416 Taylors instead of the 416 Ruger, even though I "pitched" the Ruger to both customers. And so far I have not had even one request for a 375 Ruger. Talk about under appreciated cartridges! Ballistics that have a century-long track record of excellent success, without the need of spending a lot of cash on a "magnum action" and all available with no wildcatting either. But for some reason unknown to me, neither has taken off the way I thought they would or should.

When I made such a rifle I buy a "life-time supply" of brass for it as part of the bid on the job. With 416 Taylor I buy 500 cases of 458 Winchester and neck them all into 416 Taylors , so the customer has the dies, shell holder, and 500 piece of brass as soon as he or she picks up the gun. I would do the same thing with either of the Ruger shells (minus the neck forming)

Buying a 416 Ruger right out of the box is really a very good way to go, but I would secure at least 500 rounds of ammo and/or Brass before I bought the rifle. ( For my own guns I do the same thing with any caliber, even going to 308s and 30-06s --- just because I never trusted the idea that "it will always be here".)
Posted By: GSPfan Re: 404 jeff or the 416 taylor - 11/08/20
500 rounds of brass may seem excessive but it really isn't. I recently bought a Ruger #1 in 405 Winchester and have so far secured over 200 rounds of brass and while that will probably be plenty I subscribe to the notion of "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. I'm also stocking up on 38-55 brass. 15 years ago I bought a beautiful Cooper Varmint Extreme in 25 WSSM. I bought 750 cases and am glad i did.
Posted By: szihn Re: 404 jeff or the 416 taylor - 11/08/20
You are correct GSPfan. For a rifle that is to last a lifetime, it must be viewed as a lifelong investment.

500 rounds is probably more then needed for a reloader who may expect 12-20 loads per case, but they don't eat anything after you buy them, and in the event of selling the gun it can go to the #2 owner also set up for life.

For those that don't reload, setting the rifle with 500 rounds of ammo is likely going to last through every hunt they will have in the rest of their life including, a bit of practice before each hunt.

Considering the fate of many British and European guns made in the 20 through the 40s and hearing all the owners and those that inherited those guns, hearing the statement " I sure wish it had come with more ammo" is VERY common. In the case of a wildcat shell I think of it as vital. So when I made custom guns of that nature I wanted to be as sure as possible it was an investment that would not become useless (or even challenging to use) in the times after I am not around to support them.

In the cases of a custom order being placed and the cost quote covering all the bases, such an expense at the time of the commission is so much more valued many years down the road, and so the initial cost of the brass is fairly low, and long forgotten but the utility of the gun in 40-80 years is not diminished at all.

So getting 500 cases and a set of dies with a shell holder is NOT a bit foolish when ordering any custom rifle.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: 404 jeff or the 416 taylor - 11/09/20
To me a supply of brass is like good taxidermy. It's a small price up front but years down the road it's long forgotten. A friend of mine will pay thousands of dollars on a hunt but goes with cheap taxidermy. Five years down the road that $350 shoulder mount looks like what it is.....cheap crap.
Posted By: mooshoo Re: 404 jeff or the 416 taylor - 11/09/20
now i'm thinking the 416 taylor is getting the nod
Posted By: GSPfan Re: 404 jeff or the 416 taylor - 11/10/20
You won't be disappointed.
Originally Posted by GSPfan
You won't be disappointed.

I'll second GSP.

With CFE-223 powder, you can safely, and without massive powder compression get 2400 fps with 400gr Partitions.
I liked the 416 Taylor but today if I wanted a 416 I'd go for a Ruger.

Either way it was lots of fun to shoot 400gr bullets at 2150fps, but it got really interesting when you hit 2350.
Posted By: mooshoo Re: 404 jeff or the 416 taylor - 11/12/20
thanks guy's, love all the story's!
Never had either one though I did contemplate building a 416 for awhile. However, I have really wanted a 404 for a long time.
Les
Posted By: iskra Re: 404 jeff or the 416 taylor - 12/26/20
Just expanding on a common line of thought re ammo availability. My personal gripe...
Gun manufacturers!!! Used to be possible to rely on the big name American manufacturers for implicit assurance of long term ammo source. But things changed and particularly with rifles as a genre. When the 'new & improved' whizzbang features begin wearing thin within category of some so minor as not really sufficient to garner shopper attention, increased reliance on 'new & improved' whizzbang cartridges. Example I most often use is the 450 Marlin. About a single decade after introduction and some short years after discontinuance of the rifle, the cartridge moving from regular supply to 'batch offerings', to now... Gone!

The point, that American rifle purchasers are being 'worked'! As rifle new color shades are about all left to offer... Solution! Intro a new cartridge! Without any commitment of factory loading longevity! The majority of rifle shooters don't handload. The manufacturer upside to obsoleting a cartridge is often - de facto - obsoleting the rifle! Rifle customers arising from guns abandoned to collectors & handloaders!

Except as centrally in "collector" category, I'll stick with the more obtainable factory stuff where I have any choice. A 'shooter' pushing a century old, some legit excuse for true "obsolete" status. But such for the sake of contemporary gun manufacturer marketing & sales goals; no thanks!

Bottom line, such as the heavy chamberings discussed here, one matter to knowingly 'buy into' limited & expensive ammo. Where blindsided by manufacturers' lack of commitment to their own current era customers, quite another!

Best and just my 'wordy' take!
Happy Holidays!
John
Posted By: DBoston Re: 404 jeff or the 416 taylor - 12/30/20
I would lean towards the Jeffrey for the history, and if not that then a 416 Remington. I saw both rounds on the shelves of the sporting goods stores in Africa. The Taylor makes a lot of sense except in the case of lost ammo which has happened to me before.

The 416 Remington could be almost as trim as the Taylor depending on the action. The difference between a long action and a standard one is not that great for a rifle of this level of recoil. A magnum action though changes things considerably in cost and bulk especially with a dropped box magazine.
I don’t know if anyone mentioned it on this thread, but A-Square submitted the 416 Taylor to SAAMI and had it standardized. Norma has made factory loads and brass for reloading in recent years. The 416 Taylor WAS a wildcat, but it hasn’t been a wildcat for several years. The 416 Ruger gives slightly more boiler room in a standard action that does not require too much metal removed, but the Taylor offers plenty of power and can be made from any common belted mag brass.
I am drooling over that Mauser 404 Jeffery. I have a win 70 in .416 rem mag and love it.
© 24hourcampfire