Home
Posted By: Bugger 9.3x62 build - 01/27/21
What do you guys think/advise? Which way would you go?

I'm spending too much time indoors these days and am in need a new project.

I have a donor rifle that I have in mind that is worth say $600 as it sits. I'm considering re-boring to 9.3x62 or re-barreling to same.

After weighing said rifle it looks like the re-bore would make the rifle sans scope at about 7 lb - a little light maybe I'm thinking?.

Re-barreling on the other hand will allow a SS barrel and what ever weight - I was thinking aiming for 8 lb sans scope and 22" barrel length.

Re-barreling cost ~ ER Shaw = $200 (I would have a "like new" barrel from donor to peddle, but it is a 30-06 so -$40??) + work of sight installation + recoil pad and installation $50

Re-bore - by "J E S Rifle Reboring" = $250 plus recoil pad and installation $50

(Some of you probably look down on ER Shaw. I've used many of the more expensive barrels and I've used ER Shaw, the last couple were ER Shaw and they were good barrels. The first couple ER Shaw barrels were not so good maybe over 40 years ago. Back in the day it was premium barrels mostly - especially for varmint and bench rifles. This won't be a bench rifle, BTW.)

Pricing rifles on-line for an acceptable 9.3x62 >$1,500, If I could sell my donor rifle for $600, probable cost would easily be $900, I suppose plus bases and rings, so $950

Bottom line - seems like a lot like 6's

Re-bore $900+ - ($600 for donor plus $300 plus shipping out of pocket) - this option may result in a light rifle - too light
Re-barreling $850+ - ($600 for donor plus $250 plus shipping - - this option would result in a new SS barrel
Used 9.3x62 $950+ ($1,500 plus shipping, bases and rings - $600 for sale of donor) - buying a rifle on-line isn't much of a project, but it may be worth more at my estate auction

I have another donor rifle that has a decent recoil pad already installed, so the first two options would be $50 cheaper that way.

Posted By: CZ550 Re: 9.3x62 build - 01/27/21
8 lbs might be a little heavy by the time scope is on + ammo = likely at least 9 lbs.

My Tikka T3 Lite in 9.3 x 62 was less than 7 lbs out of the box. With 3-9x40 scope + 4 cartrdiges = 7.7 lbs ready to go... Great for carry but a bit light for the range. I'd aim for about 8.5 lbs ready to hunt.

It's a great cartridge deserving a good rifle.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca
Posted By: irfubar Re: 9.3x62 build - 01/28/21
Bugger, build what you want.... the money spent will mean nothing a few years down the road. A 9.3x62 is cool and worth the effort
Posted By: hatari Re: 9.3x62 build - 01/28/21
Nothing wrong with E R Shaw barrels. I've used Shaw, Douglas, Shilen, and Kreiger in custom Mausers from 6.5 to 8mm to 9.3 all with equal success.

Originally Posted by Bugger
What do you guys think/advise? Which way would you go?

I'm spending too much time indoors these days and am in need a new project.

I have a donor rifle that I have in mind that is worth say $600 as it sits. I'm considering re-boring to 9.3x62 or re-barreling to same.

After weighing said rifle it looks like the re-bore would make the rifle sans scope at about 7 lb - a little light maybe I'm thinking?.

Re-barreling on the other hand will allow a SS barrel and what ever weight - I was thinking aiming for 8 lb sans scope and 22" barrel length.

Re-barreling cost ~ ER Shaw = $200 (I would have a "like new" barrel from donor to peddle, but it is a 30-06 so -$40??) + work of sight installation + recoil pad and installation $50

Re-bore - by "J E S Rifle Reboring" = $250 plus recoil pad and installation $50

(Some of you probably look down on ER Shaw. I've used many of the more expensive barrels and I've used ER Shaw, the last couple were ER Shaw and they were good barrels. The first couple ER Shaw barrels were not so good maybe over 40 years ago. Back in the day it was premium barrels mostly - especially for varmint and bench rifles. This won't be a bench rifle, BTW.)

Pricing rifles on-line for an acceptable 9.3x62 >$1,500, If I could sell my donor rifle for $600, probable cost would easily be $900, I suppose plus bases and rings, so $950

Bottom line - seems like a lot like 6's

Re-bore $900+ - ($600 for donor plus $300 plus shipping out of pocket) - this option may result in a light rifle - too light
Re-barreling $850+ - ($600 for donor plus $250 plus shipping - - this option would result in a new SS barrel
Used 9.3x62 $950+ ($1,500 plus shipping, bases and rings - $600 for sale of donor) - buying a rifle on-line isn't much of a project, but it may be worth more at my estate auction

I have another donor rifle that has a decent recoil pad already installed, so the first two options would be $50 cheaper that way.

Posted By: flintlocke Re: 9.3x62 build - 01/28/21
Wish you lived close, you could buy mine and be happy evermore.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 9.3x62 build - 01/28/21
Bugger,

Shaw has been making very good barrels since around 2000, when they completely retooled. Before then they made OK but rough barrels. I know this from using their barrels since 1989, touring the factory after the retooling, with very good results. Probably have had around 8-10 barrels from them since then, ranging from a replacement Ruger 10-22 barrel up to .30-06. Latest is a 1-8 twist sporter-weight 6mm-06, installed last year on a Remington 700 action; they also squared the face of the receiver and and lapped the lugs. Shoots great.

JES also does a very fine job of reboring/rerifling/rechambering. Know this through experience with several rifles, the first of which was a Remington 760 purchased at the Missoula gun show in 2010--his brother had a table across from the one Eileen and I had, with several rebored rifles for sale. The 760 was a 1950s .30-06 rebored to .35 Whelen--and shot into an inch.

Have owned two CZ 550 9.3x62s, a standard sporter with a 23.6" barrel, and a Mannlicher-stocked carbine with 21" barrel. Both shot very accurately with no dinking around. But my experience with several other factory 9.3x62s indicates that's normal.

For me a 9.3x62 weighing 8 pounds scoped is has very tolerable recoil, even with "modern pressure" handloads. But I'm "only" 68 years old, and still somewhat recoil-resistant.
Posted By: 30338 Re: 9.3x62 build - 01/28/21
I'd just go the rebore route I think. Just got a few 250 Accubonds in to try in mine. Looking forward to that. Good luck whichever direction you go.
Posted By: haverluk Re: 9.3x62 build - 01/28/21
What is the donor rifle?
Posted By: haverluk Re: 9.3x62 build - 01/28/21
Originally Posted by CZ550
8 lbs might be a little heavy by the time scope is on + ammo = likely at least 9 lbs.

My Tikka T3 Lite in 9.3 x 62 was less than 7 lbs out of the box. With 3-9x40 scope + 4 cartrdiges = 7.7 lbs ready to go... Great for carry but a bit light for the range. I'd aim for about 8.5 lbs ready to hunt.

It's a great cartridge deserving a good rifle.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Unfortunately, we they do not import the T3x Lite in that chambering to the USA. The blued Battue model is available here sometimes. I would love a SS T3x Lite in 9.3x62
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: 9.3x62 build - 01/28/21
The decision for me would pivot on the action of the donor rifle. For that application, I would want a rock solid CRF action.
If not CRF, then I'd sell the donor and buy a 9.3x62 in a CRF.
BTW in this market you might get more for the donor than you think
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: 9.3x62 build - 01/28/21
Muledeer is right on the weight ... 8lbs is a good target, the 62 pushes.

I used a krieger barrel on my 9.3x62 build.
Posted By: Bugger Re: 9.3x62 build - 01/28/21
Originally Posted by haverluk
What is the donor rifle?

I bought 700 30-06's back about 15 years ago. These 700's are early numbered 700's (I prefer early 700's) to the most part. They were going quite cheap on an internet site that I no-longer use, I won't mention the site's name.

BDL's in very good condition were ~ $400 or less. ADL's in very good condition were $100 less than BDL's. I just went to the nearest big town today to check on prices on the racks, the cheapest wood stocked 700 I found on a rack was $1,000 even. Others were ~ $1,200

I built my Whelen on a Mauser 98 action, but I think a 700 action would be better - I have my preferences like anyone else - I don't want to get in a pissing match on which action is the best, please.

MD

As far as recoil goes, I'm sure that you can handle recoil better than me, though I think I do ok. The full patch 400 grain loads in my Rigby gave me my first recoil head ache that you've written about. That's one reason why that rifle is for sale. I could just shoot cast bullets in it I suppose, but that rifle belongs in Africa, not South Dakota, and I don't need to shoot something that hurts me. I have not mounted a scope on that 416, maybe with a 1 lb scope, hmmm. I've had other rifles that hurt my face or shoulder - the Rigby doesn't but those headaches.

My 375 Whelen AI is close to 8 lb - it has no scope just aperture sight and post - it is not a problem at all with heavy loads. I think my 375 H&H AI is yet a little heavier, but with a M8 4x on it. Neither have given me recoil head aches.

I appreciate all you guys comments, especially on weight. I should make allowance for the scope weight, or maybe just go with an aperture sight and bronze front post, like my Whelen.

Bugger
Posted By: bluefish Re: 9.3x62 build - 01/28/21
Forum member dpcd over on AR has an 1930 Oberndorf barrel pattern and he uses Dougie barrels and will sell you one fitted and installed for 275 bucks. I
Posted By: Bugger Re: 9.3x62 build - 01/28/21
Originally Posted by bluefish
Forum member dpcd over on AR has an 1930 Oberndorf barrel pattern and he uses Dougie barrels and will sell you one fitted and installed for 275 bucks. I

Surely not an barreled action for that price.
Posted By: bluefish Re: 9.3x62 build - 01/28/21
You interested to buy my 1908 Brazilian action?
Posted By: Bugger Re: 9.3x62 build - 01/30/21
I'm trying to hold off on buying any guns until the gun show in Sioux Falls - Feb. 13th and 14th - is over. I'm going to put a few Remington's on the table and see how they sell.
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: 9.3x62 build - 01/30/21
I'd buy this one and add irons if I were in the market.

http://www.champlinarms.com/Default...amp;mid=409&StyleID=2&GunID=3537
Posted By: Bugger Re: 9.3x62 build - 01/30/21
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
I'd buy this one and add irons if I were in the market.

http://www.champlinarms.com/Default...amp;mid=409&StyleID=2&GunID=3537

I'd have to sell more than just a few Remington's to get that!
Posted By: asheepdog Re: 9.3x62 build - 02/10/21
I would replace the barrel. A new barrel would probably clean up a bit easier than a rebore and you can choose the contour and length all at once. I have a Ruger safari in 9.3x62, an excellent caliber in my opinion.
Posted By: xausa Re: 9.3x62 build - 02/10/21
You might want to take a look at this: https://simpsonltd.com/mauser-98-action-c32240/
NECG could probably fit rings to those bases.
Simpson also has a nice selection of 9.3X57 rifles, which I believe could easily be rechambered to 9.3X62, and the prices are quite reasonable. The desirable ones are the Model 46's which have 98 Mauser actions. The others have Model 96 Mauser actions, like the Swedish service rifles.
Posted By: z1r Re: 9.3x62 build - 02/10/21
Originally Posted by xausa
You might want to take a look at this: https://simpsonltd.com/mauser-98-action-c32240/
NECG could probably fit rings to those bases.

While a nice rifle, fitting scope rings to those bases will cost as much as the rifle. Then too, not many are keen on the base being dovetailed into the front ring.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 9.3x62 build - 02/10/21
Re-bore and fire away Man, 320gr Woodleigh softs/solids over RL-17 at 2400 fps wont take a backseat to much, I just had a 40 cal stalking rifle built, it's a tad over 8lbs, 400gr A Frames at 2400 fps isn't so bad from the bench, a complete non-issue while hunting.
Posted By: bluefish Re: 9.3x62 build - 02/11/21

Surely not an barreled action for that price.

No, no he will sell you said barrel and install to your Mauser. Like I said, I have a 190i Brazilian laying around with crest intact I would part with and it would serve you well.
Posted By: AussieGunWriter Re: 9.3x62 build - 02/11/21
I think if Winchester offered a Featherweight in this cartridge it would sell rather well. Starting with me and it is a long time since I played with them, 30 years or more ago but I still think the cartridge offers a lot to a serious hunter.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: 9.3x62 build - 02/12/21
I’d agree, with a modified barrel contour. There is a good bit of steel in a FW barrel but what is the MD? .560ish at 22”?
I’d bump it .040 if so.
Posted By: AussieGunWriter Re: 9.3x62 build - 02/12/21
MM,
Winny also made Featherweights with standard profile barrels for the magnum cartridges in 7mm remmy and 300 Win. That profile is repeated in the Winlite plastic stocks floating around so the 9.3 is both plausible and practical for the Featherweight concept. I would also buy a .338/06 in that profile if they made it because of great bullets up to 300 grain Woodleigh Weldcores and the .338"s have SD's to handle any need for penetration as well as solids.

Posted By: bluefish Re: 9.3x62 build - 02/13/21
I have more faith in my done up Ruger 9.3 than any other rifle I have ever owned save for my 06 m70 classic. The 9.3 is a hunters cartridge par excellence for most anything.
Posted By: okie john Re: 9.3x62 build - 02/13/21
After weighing said rifle it looks like the re-bore would make the rifle sans scope at about 7 lb - a little light maybe I'm thinking?

7 pounds sans scope could work depending on a couple of things. As others have mentioned, recoil in the 9.3 is a factor but it's a slower push than the fast jab of a 300 WM or 338 WM. My CZ 550 American came from the factory with a very good 1" recoil pad, and recoil was more of a shove than the snap of the belted magnums. To be honest though, I've found that a well-organized 375 H&H seems to kick less than either of those.

So the first factor is stock design. You need something that fits you and has a good recoil pad. I like recoil to come straight back, so the HS Precision stocks work well for me. They're on the heavy side, which is not wrong with the 9.3x62.

Second is the scope, rings, and bases. I think that a fixed 4x is pretty much perfect for the 9.3x62, especially if you like 286-grain bullets. A Leupold FX-II in Weaver rings and bases will add about a pound to your 7-pound baseline, and that's a good place to be with the 9.3x62. From there, the sky's the limit. 250-grain bullets turn the 9.3x62 into a kind of rimless 338, and that's a good case a 3-9 variable. You can tinker with the weight quite a bit by trying combinations of steel vs. alloy rings and rails.

More than anything, I'd focus on making that rifle balance well so you can get fast offhand hits. As others have pointed out, it's a hunter's cartridge with few peers so don't be surprised if you find yourself preferring it to everything else you own after a few hunts.

Okie John
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 9.3x62 build - 02/13/21
Won’t have to worry about too light if ya using a CZ in an HS.

DF
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: 9.3x62 build - 02/22/21
I have two of them and one, a Swede action, needs a full stock. Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: z1r Re: 9.3x62 build - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Won’t have to worry about too light if ya using a CZ in an HS.

DF

I found this to be true even with the factory walnut stock.
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: 9.3x62 build - 02/22/21
Bugger, The lady's original 9.3x62 oberndorf sporting Mauser has a 23.5" barrel and weighs 7 lbs 2 oz. Very thin contoured barrel and stock. This is a 1922 year model rifle..

The CZ carbines in 9.3x62 that I put away thousands of lbs of moose n caribou with, were equally handy at about 7 lbs 4 oz.

8 lbs is unnecessary.

The cz rifles were too clubby in the pistol grip. The bluing was thin as well and rusts too easy. On one rifle, the threaded bolt knob came loose.

I'd go ruger african in 9.3x62. Richer bluing, one piece bolt, nicer sights, simpler trigger and a sleek stock.

My 416 ruger african cut down to 22.5" to get rid of those stoopid barrel threads, weighs 7.6 lbs. They're sleek sons ah bitches. If it was 8lbs, i wouldn't carry it.
Posted By: Bugger Re: 9.3x62 build - 02/22/21
The Rigby is gone.

I have a good looking 03-A3 sporter that is nice. I have a newer ugly ADL 700, a good looking early BDL 700 and an early 760 (which I have not shot) all in 30-06 .

The kick from my Remington 700 300 Weatherby's doesn't bother at all. So if it kicks less than that, that would not be an issue. (I'm not fond of recoil head aches). On the other hand I could carry a 10 lb rifle all day.

With those rifles as donors, which would you choose? I'm leaning towards the 03-A3.
Posted By: bluefish Re: 9.3x62 build - 02/23/21
None. If one should bother then a Mauser is de riguer. Or, heavens! a M70 CRF. Mausers are widely available. Lipstick on a pig is still just a pig with lipstick. No, the Mauser simply must be the ticket in this case.
Posted By: Bugger Re: 9.3x62 build - 02/23/21
I also have a Ruger Tang safety with a B&C stock that I'd like to re-barrel, but it is a 7mm RM now, I'm not sure how well that would work for a 9.3x62. Would it take more than a new extractor?

None. If one should bother then a Mauser is de riguer. Or, heavens! a M70 CRF. Mausers are widely available. Lipstick on a pig is still just a pig with lipstick. No, the Mauser simply must be the ticket in this case.

Mausers are all right, I suppose. My last build was a 375 Whelen AI and it had a Mauser action. I have a friend that knows more about Mausers than I'll ever know. He was the one who furnished that last Mauser action.

If it was like last time -- By the time I buy some wood, shape, inlet and finish it, buy a barrel, chamber it and blue it, mount a scope, alter the safety, and maybe replace the trigger, I might as well buy one off the rack, so to speak -- because my work is quite ssllooww.

Maybe if I was sure this pandemic would last a few more months...
Someone was selling a lovely JC Higgins rebored to 9.3 on either gunbroker or gunsinternational last week.

Here's a nice one:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/892729961

And another:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/892670326

Nice CZ:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/892912176

Nice Mauser:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/893034714

New Ruger:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/892964969

Nice old Husky:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/893121765

Pretty older custom:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...er-custom-98-9-3x62.cfm?gun_id=101549329

In short, you got options!
I've looked at the one on Guns International. Nice looking rifle. That scope looks to be too high to comfortably use. Those mounts and the safety would have to be changed, which wouldn't be too much trouble, I suppose, though I know nothing about those mounts.
Hopefully we are setting the 9.3 loony hook into ya! FWIW the new Ruger is your cheapest way in and will have good resale value should you ever want to go whole hog and make one up.
My experience with Rugers is that the comb is too low for me. My 7mm RM hurt when I shot it until I put a B&C stock on it. The only other rifle that caused me too much 'hurt', was a 77 RSM 416 Rigby. My pre-64 375 H&H AI is a pussy cat compared to the Ruger 77 7mm RM with a factory Ruger stock. I suppose I could buy that Ruger 9.3x62 and exchange stocks with the B&C stock on my 7mm RM. Then sell the 7mm.
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: 9.3x62 build - 02/23/21
Bugger, if you pull the trigger on that fine ruger 9.3 you won't need to replace the stock. That newer haweye african stock won't bite yah. The comb should be perfect.
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: 9.3x62 build - 02/27/21
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Bugger, The lady's original 9.3x62 oberndorf sporting Mauser has a 23.5" barrel and weighs 7 lbs 2 oz. Very thin contoured barrel and stock. This is a 1922 year model rifle..

The CZ carbines in 9.3x62 that I put away thousands of lbs of moose n caribou with, were equally handy at about 7 lbs 4 oz.

8 lbs is unnecessary.

The cz rifles were too clubby in the pistol grip. The bluing was thin as well and rusts too easy. On one rifle, the threaded bolt knob came loose.

I'd go ruger african in 9.3x62. Richer bluing, one piece bolt, nicer sights, simpler trigger and a sleek stock.

My 416 ruger african cut down to 22.5" to get rid of those stoopid barrel threads, weighs 7.6 lbs. They're sleek sons ah bitches. If it was 8lbs, i wouldn't carry it.

Mainah: how are you on detachable mags? Blu_Cs
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 9.3x62 build - 02/27/21
I also have a Ruger Tang safety with a B&C stock that I'd like to re-barrel, but it is a 7mm RM now, I'm not sure how well that would work for a 9.3x62. Would it take more than a new extractor?

Mausers are all right, I suppose. My last build was a 375 Whelen AI and it had a Mauser action. I have a friend that knows more about Mausers than I'll ever know. He was the one who furnished that last Mauser action.

If it was like last time -- By the time I buy some wood, shape, inlet and finish it, buy a barrel, chamber it and blue it, mount a scope, alter the safety, and maybe replace the trigger, I might as well buy one off the rack, so to speak -- because my work is quite ssllooww.

Maybe if I was sure this pandemic would last a few more months...

The boltface is different, so you would need a new bolt for that Ruger. Probably not real cheap or easy to find either..
Posted By: pacecars Re: 9.3x62 build - 02/27/21
Although not CRF I really like my Steyr-Mannlicher Professional in 9.3x62mm. It handles beautifully. If you want a lightweight gun get a Brno 22 in 8x57mm and have JES rebore it to 9.3 and be good to go

[Linked Image from ]
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: 9.3x62 build - 03/02/21
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs

8 lbs is unnecessary.

Blu, just something to loose. I put a hunter on some caribou two seasons ago. Her Tikka magazine fell out and was lost. I had to back her up twice. She was earlier in her carreer, a game warden and firearms instructor. She did nothing wrong. The plastic clip was problematic in the cold.

Anyhow, most 9.3's have the benefit of 4-5 down and immense power on North American game. Fixed mag is all yah need.
Posted By: bluefish Re: 9.3x62 build - 03/02/21
The nicest barrel contour in my opinion is the one on my Husky 146s.
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: 9.3x62 build - 03/05/21

8 lbs is unnecessary.

Blu, just something to loose. I put a hunter on some caribou two seasons ago. Her Tikka magazine fell out and was lost. I had to back her up twice. She was earlier in her carreer, a game warden and firearms instructor. She did nothing wrong. The plastic clip was problematic in the cold.

Anyhow, most 9.3's have the benefit of 4-5 down and immense power on North American game. Fixed mag is all yah need.

Got it, thanks.
Posted By: yukonphil Re: 9.3x62 build - 04/13/21

8 lbs is unnecessary.

i use only a tikka in 308 and ruger gsr in 308 with plastic mags and they both work but i do not use them when it is cold. i will try next winter when cold be back. it is maybe more the way to make sure the click is heard on tikka mags but as you my 9.3x62 and 375 ruger are not magazine rifles for sure ...
Posted By: BlackHunter Re: 9.3x62 build - 07/27/21
Tag
Posted By: Llama_Bob Re: 9.3x62 build - 07/27/21
I don't follow the price logic in the OP - in some cases you are giving yourself the donor for free and selling it, in other cases you are charging yourself for the donor.

I have had a positive experience with JES. I would go that route happily, but I have no experience with recent ER Shaw barrels. The 7lb weight would be an asset to me, not a detriment. Of course everyone's looking for something different.

As others have mentioned, I would rather have a CRF/open trigger action in a 9.3x62 rather than a 700. But it sounds like you've decided what you want.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: 9.3x62 build - 09/05/21
I've had 3, 9.3x62s - all JES Rebores. All 3 shot whatever I fed them within an inch @ 100yds. FIrst was a CZ550 that I reluctantly let go down the road. 2nd was an Interarms/Whitworth, that I was even more reluctant to let go of. Kick myself every time I think of letting it go. The last, and current 9.3x62, is a Rem 700 rebore. Nothing fancy, but the 700 platform gives you a lot of aftermarket options. Mine is bedded to a Rimrock stock, topped with a Swaro PH 2-10 in Leupold QR ring/bases. Added a NECG barrel band sling attachment and filled the sling stud hole in the stock with a flat-head 10/32 screw. Also added a NECG barrel band front sight.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: 9.3x62 build - 09/06/21
I picked up an overlooked Husqvarna FN commercial 98 in 8X57 for under $300.00 shipped and FFL fee. It's going to JES for the "treatment". It is drilled and tapped with a bent bolt, has a barrel band front sling swivel, rt side safety (not reliable), and came with an interesting off brand Jap scope, a Nikko-Sterling 4X40 P&CH illuminated reticle. The finish is good, as is the stock.

It's my idea of a perfect donor rifle for the Classic 9.3X62. Search Simpson a bit. You might find a good donor with a bad bore you can deal on with them. wink

BTW, this has a pristine bore and is a shooter.

Let JES work his magic, drop in a Timney Sportsman trigger with safety, and you're good to go to Africa.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 9.3x62 build - 09/06/21
Agreed, perfect lightweight donor L2S, a rifle a man could carry all day, and where legal with a good soft and solid, any game animal in the world could be put in the salt, dont remember where i read/heard, but the 320gr Woodleigh solid is one of the best penetrators ever loosed on African heavy game.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: 9.3x62 build - 09/08/21
Here is a perfect "donor" rifle.

Have JES re-bore to 9,3X62 and add a Timney trigger. As with all the Husqvarnas of this vintage and configuration, I'd glass the action, too.

https://simpsonltd.com/husqvarna-m640-z48621/
Posted By: z1r Re: 9.3x62 build - 09/08/21
Originally Posted by luv2safari

Have JES re-bore to 9,3X62 and add a Timney trigger. As with all the Husqvarnas of this vintage and configuration, I'd glass the action, too.

That would indeed make a nice 93x62. In fact, I have a Husqvarna with that stock in 9,3x62.

Liked it so much, I made a 9,3x64 off this one:

Posted By: luv2safari Re: 9.3x62 build - 09/08/21
Originally Posted by z1r
Originally Posted by luv2safari

That would indeed make a nice 93x62. In fact, I have a Husqvarna with that stock in 9,3x62.

Liked it so much, I made a 9,3x64 off this one:

Remember this one that you built on a Brazilian 1908 and Husqvarna parts? A great friend of mine coveted it and now loves the rifle. Nice thing is he would sell it back to me if I cried elephant tears. wink

I later found this 640 Husq in 9,3X62 to salve my wounds. It's not nearly as sweet as the 1908 action rifle, but it shoots great with the Timney Sportsman I installed. It is on a commercial FN 98, though.

I'm glad you mentioned 9,3X64. I might do that to the recently purchased 640 I posted.
Posted By: tankerjockey Re: 9.3x62 build - 09/10/21
I took this rifle to Africa in 2012 as a 30-06. A few years ago I had JES give it the treatment even though I had previously owned a couple of others. As a 30-06 it did everything I wanted, I just wanted another 9.3 for next time.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
It is built on a Mark X Mauser with a custom stock I did.
Posted By: tankerjockey Re: 9.3x62 build - 09/10/21
I have 3 rebores from JES, they all shoot great.
Posted By: yukonphil Re: 9.3x62 build - 10/15/21

8 lbs is unnecessary.

do you remember how cold it was? i used my 308 win titka t3x up to -26c with no issues with the mag but i prefer most of the time fixed mag as you.
Posted By: mainer_in_ak Re: 9.3x62 build - 10/15/21
Hi Phil, hope all is well in the Yukon. I will be heading to Dawson to put in on the Yukon this late spring after break up. 118 river miles combined up the Yukon, up the White, to the mouth of the Ladue.

The temps on that hunt were the typical upper 20s at night, 30-40s in the day.
Posted By: CZ550 Re: 9.3x62 build - 10/15/21
I like the mag clip in my Tikka T3. Never a problem. In fact I prefer a clip mag to a fixed one. When you have to unload you merely put the clip with ammo in a jacket pocket, and reverse procedure when you need to reload. That works great for a tree stand. Then, also a second clip already loaded in a pocket can come in real handy if you need to reload in a hurry.

My current bear load is the 286 Partition at 2600 fps, or if I want to simulate a 35 Whelen, it's the 250 AB at 2600. As one poster mentioned: the 320 Woodleigh PP at +2400 is good enough for most anything, including Cape buff, within a couple hundred metres. RL-17 is my propellant of choice for any projectile of 250gr to 320. None of those loads are max in my rifle.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca
© 24hourcampfire