Home
Posted By: RTSJ Sako AV 375H&H - 06/03/21
For u guys running the long action big boomers, what base rings u using on the shorter tube scopes like the 2.5-8x36. My scope just came in and the Optilocks on it won’t come close enough to mount the scope?

Thanks Roy
Posted By: iskra Re: Sako AV 375H&H - 06/03/21
Interesting question I can't answer but will be interested in viewing the solution! I do have some advice! If by chance your Sako AV is a 20" Mannlicher stock as mine... When you purchase ear protectors, "make it a double"! Also you'll find teeth braces aren't just for teens! smile smile smile

Good luck & enjoy that nice rifle.
Best!
John
Posted By: RTSJ Re: Sako AV 375H&H - 06/03/21
Originally Posted by iskra
Interesting question I can't answer but will be interested in viewing the solution! I do have some advice! If by chance your Sako AV is a 20" Mannlicher stock as mine... When you purchase ear protectors, "make it a double"! Also you'll find teeth braces aren't just for teens! smile smile smile

Good luck & enjoy that nice rifle.
Best!
John

Thanks bud. Nope it’s a AV Deluxe. By the looks of it the rings must be 4-3/4” max spacing from outside to outside of the rings.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: canuckistan Re: Sako AV 375H&H - 06/05/21
there are 2 kink of optilock
the back ring is always the same
the front you have one close the the back ring and on far away from the back one
with one do you have
look on sako site rings section and you will see what I mean
the one that is close to the back one give you about 3/4 to a inch more mounting
Posted By: memtb Re: Sako AV 375H&H - 06/05/21
Here’s an option.....though, you may not see as attractive on your rifle. However, it gives you near infinite scope adjustment. A picatinny rail! We just installed Weigand Picatinny on a Ruger 77 270 Win, with quick release rings..... so we could go from a 6.5-20 Leupold for long range plinking or varmint use, or throw a 3-9 Burris on it as a lender rifle for hunting! It is an option if you have issues with mounting your scope! By the way......great scope choice! We used the 2.5-8 for many years on the wife’s .338 WM, and my .375 AI......never a moments trouble with them! memtb
Posted By: fourbore Re: Sako AV 375H&H - 06/06/21
Anyone worth spit, making a ring/base design like this will provide an option for an offset ring. Exactly as canuck describes. Absolutely the way to go.

Nice rifle BTW. But; I am sure you already know that.
Posted By: DBoston Re: Sako AV 375H&H - 08/03/21
The SAKO AV is such a classic I would not want to ruin the looks of it with odd ball scope mounts. I would instead get a different scope even though the 2.5-8 is a favorite. The 6x36 scope has almost the same tube as the 2.5-8 but the 6x42 has a longer tube which might help. Some of the straight objective scopes have more mounting tolerance to them too. The 3-9 x 36 Swarovsky might be a possibility but it doesn't have the reputation for taking a beating that some other scopes have.
Posted By: Biebs Re: Sako AV 375H&H - 08/03/21
A 6X on a 375 would be a bit odd, especially if dangerous game was considered. Maybe a 2-12 Leupold, or even a plain 'ole 3-9?
Posted By: asheepdog Re: Sako AV 375H&H - 09/25/21
I use Dednutz on my Winchester 375 and 416. I think they make them for Sako also, might be an option.
Posted By: slm9s Re: Sako AV 375H&H - 09/25/21
Maybe something like a Leupold 1-6 that doesn't have an objective bell would give more mounting area?
Posted By: Hancock27 Re: Sako AV 375H&H - 09/25/21
I have Leupold rings made for SAKO, and have a Leupold 2.5X8 on mine - no issues at all.
Posted By: Northman Re: Sako AV 375H&H - 09/25/21
Sako Ringmounts should also fit with no issue.
Posted By: RickinTN Re: Sako AV 375H&H - 09/26/21
Originally Posted by Hancock27
I have Leupold rings made for SAKO, and have a Leupold 2.5X8 on mine - no issues at all.

I have Leupold rings on several of my AV's. One in particular with a 2.5 x 8. I think I remember this one being a little tight on fit but it works. I have 3.5 x 10's on most of my AV;s/
Rick
© 24hourcampfire