Home
Would anyone have info on .450 Howell? Would I achieve 2200 fps with 500 grain projectiles in a 22" barrel with temperature stable single-base powders without compressed loads at moderate pressure? Thanks.
Yes.

The .450 Howell has a little more case capacity than the .458 Win mag, so whatever the .458 can do so can the Howell.
Would you know if the dies and reamer print are readily available? Do you use parent .404 brass to form the cases? What action did you use to build yours?
You can buy the dies at CH4D die company. I don't know about the reamer print.

http://www.ch4d.com/products/dies/caliber-list?filter-col=caliber&filter=&page=64

Yes, I use .404 Jeffery brass to form cases.

Mine is built on a CZ 550 Safari that was a .458 Win mag. The gunsmith set the barrel back and "cleaned up" the .458 chambering.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Found this....
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5137169/450-howell
Thanks for that. I'm currently waiting for custom dies from CH4D which they said would be 2 years, so I'm ok with that. Thinking of a standard length action for the .450 Howell such as the Ruger Hawkeye. Is that factory wood on the CZ 550 mag, looks nicer than the wood on mine and I don't have a cheekpiece?
Yes,it is factory wood on the CZ.
Better picture of the CZ.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Nice. So that would be with the factory 25" barrel I assume. What speeds are you getting with 500 grain projectiles if you've chronographed them?
Yes, it is a 25" barrel.

I have not chronographed any 500 grain bullets yet.
Posted By: Biebs Re: .450 Howell any info please - 10/24/21
I'd contact Wayne Jacobsen at American Hunting Rifles. AHR used to carry the Ken Howell calibers; rifles, ammunition, etc. Not sure if they still do.
Thanks for that information.
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Would anyone have info on .450 Howell? Would I achieve 2200 fps with 500 grain projectiles in a 22" barrel with temperature stable single-base powders without compressed loads at moderate pressure? Thanks.

Riflehunter,

Send a PM to RIO7 here on the 'Fire. He has Ken's first .450 Howell and has done quite a bit of load work for it. Somewhere around here I have the QuickLOAD data Ken worked up for different bullets. I'll keep looking and, if I can find it, I'll get it to you.

Ed
© 24hourcampfire