Home
Posted By: Puddle 375 H&H w/ 350 grain Woodleighs - 03/06/07

Going to load up some 350 grain Woodleigh Protected Points using H4350. I figure somewhere around 2300 - 2350 fps mv should be about right. I plan on starting around 68 grains of powder.

Has anyone else been down this path? What has been your results?

Thanks,
Pud
Kevin Robertson from "The perfect shot" and "Africas most dangerous" believes that the .375 benefits greatly from more bullet weight at reduced velocities. He cites the 350 grainer @ 2300 and the 380 grainer @ 2200 as outstanding performers on Buffalo.
Far more reliable then the various 300 grainers loads that suffer from excessive velocity and in Super premiums from over penetration killing or wounding Buffalo behind the intended target.
He also discusses the "trampoline effect with high velocity 300 grainers.
Read "Africas most dangerous" pp 104-105.
Never used in Africa.... yet. I have however used 350gr. Woodleigh from Double Tap on feral hogs. Definately overkill, but a blast!

The 350gr. loads definately brings the .375 H&H up to a whole nother level.
I have an old box of Barnes 350 grainers. I have never loaded them up though. I didn't know anyone made 350 grain 375's anymore. Learn something everyday from this forum.
Norma is supposedly offering the Woodleigh 350 grain in their "PH" load, but I haven't been able to find any to try. I wonder if they launch them at around 2300 fps?

I've emailed Woodleigh asking them to confirm that 68 grains of H4350 is a safe starting point.

too much fun....
Norma lauched the PH ammo in January on the Shotshow, so it will be out in more stores soon, but it will cost abit due to the production cost etc, but its a good ammo and im looking forward to more reports on them this season.

Puddle,
I think that Fosteology is on to something. DoubleTap is offering that 350gr. Woodleigh @ 2450fps!

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45&products_id=172
Yea, don't think I'd like that load in my 8 3/4 lb rifle eek

My hunch is 2300 - 2350 would be just dandy for the Woodleigh.
As soon as I find a set of dies for my new 375 Ruger, I'll try some loads for 350s. My expectation is that they will need to be seated too deep for the case design. I hope they work well enough, as I am a believer in the 350s for 375 at lower velocities.

I don't think there will be much problem getting to 2,300fps; I'm worried about consistent accuracy. Its going to cost a bit to find out, as these bullet maunfacturers are pretty proud of their 350s... eek
Got a reply back from Geoff McDonald of Woodleigh Bullets specifically regarding load development using H4350:

Our recommended load is Federal 215 primer 68-72 grains H4350 for 2300-2380 fps.
All loads shot accurately, and delivered outstanding performance on
buffalo during testing.

I now have my starting load point confirmed, and a box of 350's will be in my hands next week, so I should be sending rounds down range in short order.

Too much fun grin

Puddle,

Keep us posted as to your opinions, once you've shot some and worked up a load. smile
Will do!

For starters I have 3 rounds each loaded at 68, 69, & 70 grains H4350. OAL is 3.60" and I'm using Fed 215's. The sweet spot I'm looking for is 2300 - 2350 mv.

I have a pic of the Woodleigh along side a 300 grain Swift and Hornady, but it says the pic is too big to attach to this post cry

Oh, well...
I am interested in the Woodleigh 350 gr also for my 375 H&H. I use 300 gr Barnes, Trophy bonded or Swifts at 2550 f/s or so, mostly.

I run my 416 T with 350 - 400 gr at 2300 to 2400 but my rifle weighs 11 pounds plus a muzzle brake I fitted. Makes shooting it much more pleasant and as long as you stay behind me the noise isn't any more a problem than any other loud boomer.

2300-2350 is about what my 45-70 does with 350 gr bullets also loaded in a NEF Buffalo Classic with 32" barrel. Heavy load but not over max. It definitely uses up any squirrels that happen to get in the way.

The 350 gr Woodleigh should do pretty well as a stopper or just a plain old dropper.

Enjoy
Managed to send the first set of test rounds down range today.

68 grains of H4350 is spot on at 2300 fps mv while 70 grains is pushing quite close to 2350 fps.

69 grains looks to be the sweet spot for my barrel as it pretty much split the difference mv-wise, and produced the best group at 1.25". That's plenty good enough for what I intend to use these bullets on.

Of course, 3 rounds each does not a trend make, so I'll load up 9 more rounds @ 69 grains and find out just how consistant that load really is.

Recoil? I really can't see that much difference between these 350's at 2300+ mv & my 300 grain Swift load at 2500 mv. However, I'm certain I wouldn't want to launch too many of these from the bench at 2450 mv in my 8 3/4 lb rifle.

After all this is settled I'll have to figure out something big to wack so I can see how these bullets perform.

too much fun,
Puddle; What length is your barrel...come on...and did you slug it by any chance?

I haven't aquired any 350 Woodleighs yet but will in time.

My 375 H&H sports a 26" barrel and my LD load program lists the MV for 69.5 g H4350 at just over 2229 f/s, 46341 PSI, 90% load density, so I am really interested in comparing what I come up with to your data and the LD programs prognostications. That is a mild load so you have a bit to go before getting too wild. The same program list 73.3 H4350, 2351, 51547 CUP. 77.2 gr N204 gives 2402 at 53799 CUP at 100% load density. N204 is another good powder that has shown very good accuracy in several cartridges I've played with in the past. Can't hardly find it in my area.

As the 375 H&H is a 62,000 PSI SAMMI cartridge, roughly 53000 CUP you are still well within the pressure zone.

For what it's worth. USE THE POSTED DATA AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Enjoy
NFG,

With the 375 Ruger having just a hair more capacity, would you hazzard a guess as to H4350 starting loads? I may go with the 68gr for the first three. I want to get to 2,350 fps +-, but work up with caution with this new case design. That is out of the 23" Hawkeye barrel.

As a back up, I need to work up loads for the FN/SAKO 375 Wby. It doesn't have as much freebore as a Wby MKV, but has more than others in 375 H&H commonly do, it appears.

I don't have any data on the 375 Ruger as to case capacity or SAMMI pressure standards.

The only hazard I would guess is IF the case capacity is equal to or more than the 375 H&H you could use H&H data as a start point.

As I stated above 69.5 gr H4350 is a mild load so let the rifle do the talking.

If you can find 375 Ruger case capacity data, post it here and I will see if I can calculate some data.

One consideration is the case has a larger case base so bolt thrust will be greater, which will be one of the limiting factors I would consider. Another is the possibility that Hornady uses a proprietary powder to keep pressures within specs so reloaders may not be able to equal factory velocity, but I don't know for sure. The probability that bolt lift will become an issue is always present and a good place to back off.

Ruger actions are very stong in my experience. I've usually ran out of hair long before I got anywhere near the danger zone when working up loads. All the usual pressure indicators appeared well before getting into the destructive area, plus I load for accuracy rather than velocity.

2350 f/s MV and well beyond, could be achievable in a 23" barrel with a 350 Woodleigh if, as stated previously and in checking out the site, Doubletap ammo has a 350 Woodleigh at 2450 f/s in a 24" for the H&H. For the price and information I will buy a box of SP's to see what the case expansion is and what my chrono's come up with in my 375 H&H.

The Doubletap 375 H&H load will equal my 416 T in bullet weight, energy and velocity. The BC's of the different caliber bullets is also equal so as far as stopping power, the only difference would be the hair splitting in bullet diameters. Maybe, in time, Doubletap will come up with some 375 Ruger loads.

The 375 Wby has 10% more case capacity plus the Wby is SAMMI rated at 65 KPSI, I believe, so you could calculate 2-3% more velocity net gain. My LD gave 88.1 gr H4350, 95% load density, 2599 f/s at 57782 CUP for the 350 Woodleigh. If I were working up a load for this cartridge I would start at 85 gr, increas in 1.5 gr increments to 90 gr, one round at a time. Mike the case each time and chronograph, watching for all the other pressure indicators. Then 2 rounds to establish accuracy levels. You didn't list barrel length so I chose 24". Not knowing the level of your expertise, equipment, etc., I won't comment farther.

Freebore usually means an additional few grains of powder just to equal non-freebored rifle velocity and sometimes a decrease in accuracy. I have two freebored rifles, one shoots one holers with only one bullet but requires 5 more grains of powder to equal a non-freebored chamber and the other stays around 1.5" with just about any bullet but won't tighten up and requires 4 grains to equal. I plan to put a vibration dampener on it some day to see what transpires. All things being equal, I won't have another freebored rifle, I don't see any reason for freebore, and the reasoning behind freebore is more commercial that real...but I won't try to talk anyone out of a freebored rifle...it's you choice...there are a few advantages and just as many disadvantages.

Time to go to work.

Enjoy
Where is the best source to buy the Woodleigh 350gns in the US? I noticed that MidwayUSA no longer sells them and indicates they are unavailble for backorder.

Thanks,
GVA
Midway is expecting the 350s along with a s**tpile of other Woodleighs next week. I've been anxiously waiting for over a month.

SOS
NFG

The Ruger case capacity is roughly 5% greater than that of the 375 H&H...some say 3.5%, others...6%. From my calculations, 5% works about on the button. This gives just a small bit of margin if using H&H data. It of course depends a lot on the particular H&H brass manufacturer, as to capacity. Hornady is the only 375 Ruger game in town.

I'll hazard a guess that 5% heavier loads than are reasonable for the H&H are maximum for the Ruger.

I'll work up to that standard with care, however.
For that small a difference I wouldn't bother with the Ruger. A half inch difference in receiver length is just another one of those commercially perceived non-problems to sell a product. It is still nice to have more choices tho' and better than loosing calibers.

You can get a 3 to 5% difference by seating changes, plus or minus, by going from a spire point to a round nose or FMJ or the other way around. Many neat things can be done by understanding the parameters.

Enjoy
Well boys, the BIG woodleigh order has arrived at Midway, which means a much smaller Woodleigh order will get to my house next week. Can't wait to try these 350s.

Also ordered some 416/450s. Any thoughts on a RL19 charge for 2300 or so in the Rigby?

SOS
Norma says that their African PH loads will not be available until at least August.
Until then I plan on loading some 350 Woodleigh at 2300fps in both of my 375 Ruger rifles ( African and Alaskan models) for the upcoming Brown bear season. I'll let you know how they work if I return.
Phil,

How do the two models compare for weight, muzzle blast and perceived recoil? The Alaska model appears to have a much thicker recoil pad. How do either of them feel compared to the average 375 H&H's you've fired?
I conspired with Geoff some few years back to come out with a 350 gr. 375 bullet and a 450 gr. bullet in RN persuasion. He agreed and told me he was also going to do a PP in 350 and 450 gr. for them. He sent me a number of boxes of both and told me to have at on Cape Buffalo. I did and it made a believer out of me. They are both great bullets, the PP has more penetration and will mostly pass through on broadside shots and even with a bit of an angle and they always went to the off side. The RN expanded more and only left an exit wound sometimes, its great for herd shooting. I shot a lot of buffalo with the .416 450 gr. and the 375 in 350 gr. and got the impression that the heavy woodleighs gave you the next caliber up the line, or something along those lines. I felt the 375 killed like a .416 and the .416 like a whatever, near a .458 Lott. Thats just the way it struck me and I have no way of knowing for sure if I am correct on that, but feel comfortable with it.

BTW I used WW brass, 215 Fed. primers, and 66 grs. of RL-15 for about 2350 FPS in my .375 H&H with a 26" barrel (estamated) never got around to chronographing it, and by the time I had used it so much on Buffalo I didn't care, it worked to well to worry about it.

The other great big bore bullet is the Northfork cup point and it has made the solid obsolete on all but elephant IMO.
458Win: I'll let you know how they work if I return.
Now, THAT'S funny...

Jaywalker
In checking with ammoguide 375 Ruger is 91gr. water & 375 H&H
is 89 gr. of water hope that helps cheers NC
I spoke with riflemaker D'Arcy Echols about 350 gr. Woodleigh loads in the 375 H&H. In his rifles thus far, he's used 70 grs. of H4350 with 350 gr. Woodleigh solids and softs for 2350 fps. MV or thereabouts.

Trajectory goes like this:

50 yds. +3/4"

100 yds. +1.5"

150 yds. 0.0

200 yds. -3.0 to -3.5"

This load should work well for anything you'd hunt with the 375 H&H in Africa, especially if you brought along a flatter shooting light rifle. I plan to use these 350 gr. Woodleigh loads myself in the near-future, and I'll team my 375 H&H with either a 270 Win. or a 300 Win. Mag.

AD
My 69 grs. H4350 load is working well from my 24" barrel and the results are just a touch off those numbers. I've sent enough downrange that they're now easy to group at or under 1.25". Not bad for a factory barrel, imo.

Next I'm going take this load and my 270 gr. AFrame @2750 mv load, which I zero at 200 yards, and see how well they get along from POI. Who knows, perhaps with these 2 loads I wouldn't need the 300 grain bullet or another rifle....

Anyone have a recommended charge to push the 450 Woodleigh to 2300 in the 416 Rigby?
Have lots of H4350,4831 and RL19.
Thanks
SOS
For those interested,Richard Lee's Second Edition, "Modern Reloading" has data with a variety of powders for the 375H&H with 350 grain bullets. If you knew this, please ignore the message...............grins.
I used 75 grs. of RL-15 with the 450 gr. RN and PP. It killed Buffalo about as well as anything I have ever used, the PP would make two holes broadside and the RN tended expand to huge size, with ragged arms spreading out and did awesome internal damage and mostly stopped on the off side skin. I shot a bison and a bull elk with the RN and it just hammered them to the ground and exited in both cases...

I really like the 350 gr. in the .375 and the .450 in the .416. both bullets are very accurate in my guns.

Robertson also mentioned the 380-gr Rhino bullet (out of the RSA) as having a SD of .386 I believe and gaining the rep of "giving one-shot kills on big buff" and in a Sports Afield article with having the momentum equal to the 375 RUM with a 300-grainer and just shy of the 378 Wby with a 300-gr bullet without the recoil, muzzle blast, and erratic bullet performance of these bigger cartridges.

The 350-gr Woodleighs of course wouldn't be far behind the Rhino numbers bullet weight-wise. I got the impression the Rhino's were a small custom shop proposition.

George
The problem I found with the .380 gr. Rhinos was in some rifles, you had to seat the bullets to deep to make them fit the magazine and they wouldn't hold a crimp as that put them into the ogive, and they set back from recoil..I had too many problems with them in most rifles, including my old standby Mauser 375, so I use the .350 gr. Woodleigh PP and its a great killer on buffalo. I also got into powder compaction with the Rhinos trying to get beyond 2000 FPS...
Ray, So I should be looking at the PP in the 350 Woodleighs. I misunderstood one of your earlier replies, thinking you preferred the RN due to the PP not expanding as well, ie, being a really tough bullet. I'll go back and re-read that.

I've already got the 350 solids on hand, but the softs are both out of stock everywhere I know to look. I'll be placing an order with Midway as soon as they become available again.

I was leaning toward the RN partly because of my misunderstanding your reply, but also because of the ballistic coefficient being basically the same as the solid. My thinking was that this would make it much easier to get the same POI. The BC of the PP is quite a bit higher than the RN.

Thanks guys,

David
x2mosq,
If you are going to use a solid in conjunction with the RN, your right on track..The RN is just a little softer than the PP, but the RN does more terminal damage and its the same bullet coefficient of the solid and may regulate to the same POI better.....Your in good shape...

The PP is a tougher bullet as expansion is less thus penetration is better, but either one is fine, you can't go wrong with either choice...They are both very good bullets.
Thanks Ray. So I was thinking correctly. It seems to me that most PH's, just from my reading, prefer a soft in the pipe and solids in the box. So that's pretty much the direction I'm headed. Of course I'll discuss it with the PH before I make the trip across the pond. Whichever way he prefers it, I'll have a load that will accomodate. It's his ass on the line just like mine and he's the pro, so what he says goes on this subject. But I think the RN/FMJ combo is a winner. If I was going softs only, I'd definitely be taking the PP's. I'll most likely have loads worked up for both anyway. I'm gonna shoot for around 2400 fps out of my M70 24" barrel.

Of course all this may be moot, as I'm looking hard at putting together a .404 Jeff. Of course the 375 will be along for backup.

Thanks,

David
Did some chrony testing with the 350's this morning. I loaded one round with each powder charge just to check for pressure signs, of which there were none. The results were roughly what I was expecting, maybe a little slowere than I had hoped for. But none were loaded to max. suggested charge. I only had solids on hand so I backed down 1 grain from the max load and loaded 4 rounds, dropping in 1 grain increments. The following was my results out of my M70 with 24" barrel, with Rem. cases and federal primers:

H414 68gr. - 2301fps
69gr. - 2314
70gr. - 2361
71gr. - 2379

H4350 68gr. - 2284
69gr. - 2281????
70gr. - 2338
71gr. - 2361

The 69gr. of H4350 seems to be a bad reading, and I'm guessing it would be around 2310. While I was there I tested some loads with 300gr. Barnes TSX. Same case, primer and rifle. Before I post the first set of numbers, I want to go ahead and say that the RL15 loads gave much higher velocities than I expected. These were all verified with the other guy I was shooting with. We also checked the chrony with other known rounds to make sure it was on. These were shot at roughly the same time as all the other loads, and there were no signs of excessive pressure whatsoever. I was shocked. Here goes:

RL15 70gr. - 2613fps
71gr. - 2676
72gr. - 2734
Again, much higher velocity than I expected with these. Loads from Barnes manual. I will be putting these loads together again to verify my findings. 2700+ with a 300gr. bullet in the 375H&H just seems a little much to me. We'll see, probably next weekend.

IMR4064 65gr. - 2467fps
66gr. - 2494
67gr. - 2518
These were more what I was expecting.

David

P.S. Also in Africa forum
Today I ordered from Midway a couple of boxes each of the Norma African PH 350 gr. Woodleigh ammo in the Weldcore and FMJ. I'll compare them against my 69 gr. H4350 load I have now and see what gives.
Puddle,

What kind of velocity are you getting with that 69gr. load? I'm running 72gr. and with a 10-shot string, I've got an average of around 2340 or so, with a low extreme spread of around 20fps. That's with CCI primers. I'm going to load some more with the Fed 215 again and shoot another 10-shot string and see what happens, but it seemed that the 215's got me another 20 or 30 fps, which I know is nothing to worry over.

With my 300 gr. TSX loads, which I believe was 72gr. of RL15, It's averaging about 2340 with the CCI primers. The really good news is that, at 100 yds, Barnes and Woodleighs, softs and solids, are very close to same POI. That's awfully handy.

Keep me updated.

David
I'm at ~2320 which the barrel liked best. I can't remember if the Norma load is at nominal 2300 or 2350, but I'll find out in a week or so when they get here.

A bud just returned from Tanzania where he took 2 buf and a sable with his 350 Woodleigh handload running at ~2360.
Originally Posted by Puddle
Today I ordered from Midway a couple of boxes each of the Norma African PH 350 gr. Woodleigh ammo in the Weldcore and FMJ. I'll compare them against my 69 gr. H4350 load I have now and see what gives.

Just went to Midway USA to check the prices.... $65.99 for 10 rounds... damn.... just, damn....

I hear ya... eek
Just a comment on one of the posts here:

No, the 350 Woodleigh will not be too long for the .375 Ruger, as Ruger designed their case to use the cannelures of existing .375 bullets. If the .350 WL will work in the .375 H&H, it will work in the Ruger--and no, it it won't take up "too much powder space." I have explained this before but this superstition is so deeply ingrained in handloaders that it is impossible to eradicate. If anybody wants to read another rant on the subject, I'll go ahead. But otherwise let's just leave it at that.

The Ruger case as the same size head as the .375 H&H, so will generate no more bolt thrust, even though the .375 H&H case is a little smaller in front of the belt. Even if it did generate a little more, it would be far from enough to be dangerous. Do you suppose that all the companies that have made rifles on even fatter cases over the years have not made sure their actions will hold 'em?

Odds are that the powder used in the .375 Ruger is something handloaders cannot buy. This is because the cast majority of powders used in factory ammo we cannot buy. This does not mean that it is "proprietary" or magic. It is easy to safely match the factory velocities of the .375 Ruger with conventional powders, and in fact exceed them.

JB
I agree with you for the most part, Mule Deer, there are way more than enough "old wives tales" that keep circulating around the net. Once mis-information or dis-information is published in any form it's there to say and impossible to eradicate. It doesn't matter how many times you try to correct and to educate someone always misses the point, the explanation, needs to "be one of the boys" or just doesn't understand or care. We male type humans must "strut our stuff" and fuel our egos.

One small bone to pick about "proprietary", though. By definition "Proprietary" relates to proprietor or "an owner" which then relates to "Of, pertaining to or characteristic of a proprietor. Exclusively owned, made and sold by one owning a trademark or patent". I think the powders used in several of Hornady's cartridges, and in other brands, that are unavailable to the general public fit into this definition, so are "proprietary" in this sense.

You "could" also say the powders are "magic" even though use of powders that ARE available to the reloading public can and do equal the MV of the different cartridges. Unless you are privy to the pressure/weight data from Hornady you have no idea what those numbers are. The flat statement that "It is easy to safely match factory velocities of the 375 Ruger with conventional powders and in fact exceed them" could get novice reloaders into trouble in many ways. It is, in fact, one of those mis-information/dis-information statements and is based on a false use of logic, namely using the negation of a logical statement to prove a positive. It is done constantly if you closely read many posts.

Just a small minor point and as you said there are many factory powders unavailable to the reloading public with a few exceptions.

In any event, I do think Woodleighs are excellent bullets and will try the .375 cal 350 gr Woodleighs as soon as I can get my hands on some in my "old" 375 H&H.

Enjoy
With the 350 Woodleigh/H4350/F215 combo in a 24" Sako I'm getting:

68 gr - 2240
70 gr - 2307

The second load printed 3 into .450 with a leup 1.5-5x.
And no, I'll never sell that AV!
Don't ya just luv barrels...

me and 2 buds are all shooting M70 classics.

Ya got my 69 grain H4350 load @ ~2320
1 is using a 70 grain H4350 load @ just shy 2350
and the other just back from Tanzania used 72 grain H4350 @ ~2360

yet a fourth guy using the same 72 grain H4350 says he's getting ~2380 (tho I haven't personally seen that tape)

NFG,

The pwoder used by Hornady is in no sense proprietary. It is just an unblended bulk powder, available to any company who wants to buy powder by the boxcar-load, instead of the blends we buy in canisters.

I should have clarified my statement about handloading the .375 Ruger. A couple of people at HANDLOADER magazine have loaded for it and has the pressures tested. The factory muzzle velocities can be easily met with standard canister powders, and can be exceeded by a little safely as proven by the pressure tests. H4350, for instance, is a fine choice. If you use it to start both 270 and 300-grain bullets at factory velocity, you will be on safe ground.

JB

In my 26 inch tube Mauser I tested these bullet in Africa on Buffalo for several years before they hit the market. Both the PP and the RN were tested..Geoff wanted the PP and I wanted the RN, so Geoff just produced both..After using them I have found both have a place, but the PP is probably the best all around bullet, all things considered..The RN is a real killer on broadside shots however..

I loaded up several loads that chronographed as flwgs:

WW cases
Fed. 215 Primers

65.5 grs. of IMR-4350 2405 FPS very accurate
66.5 grs. of Rl-15 2407 FPS very accurate
75.0 grs. of H-414 2415 FPS veru accurate

My rifle is a very accurate rifle and its hard to compare loads with it as such, but I got the imprssion without actually measuring them the RL-15 loads were the most consistant and the most accurate over all. That is the load I settled on, and have been using ever since..

A really great bullet, I have never had a Woodleigh fail on me in the last 40 or so years.
Just finished my bear season and carried a 375 Ruger with the 350 Woodleighs @2260fps. I would have thought that the 350's should have kicked harder than the factory 270 bullets but both my daughter and I thought the Woodleighs were more comfortable. Her little cut down "Alaskan" only weighs 7#4oz and the "African" I was carrying goes 7#8oz. Both were comfortable to shoot.
My last client borrowed a rifle so I let him use the "African" He put his first round directly behind the shoulder of a 10" 3" (28 1/16 B&C) boar which gave complete penetration and left a huge exit wound.
With a test sample of one I can't say it works any better than a stout 270 or 300 grain bullet but it works at least as well and possibly better. time will tell.
458 Win,
Have you been getting my emails?
No, I've been in camp since June but am back now.
Which bullet(s) do you think are better for cape buffalo:

300g North Fork SS and solid

or

350g Woodleigh PP and solid

I'm just starting to load for my 375 H&H and would kinda like to stick with one bullet weight for everything. My rifle should be here pretty soon.

Thanks,
Chuck
I'm using the 350 Woodleighs. Most likely the RN soft and the solid combo. The solid and PP shoot to same POI, but I haven't had a chance to shoot the RN soft yet. As soon as I get my rifle back from the smith, I'll be testing again. For the 350's, use the suggested loads at the front of this thread (Fed 215, working from 70-72 grs. H4350) as they seem to work great for everyone that's used them lately. There are several threads over on AR about this combo as well. Thornell over there just came back from the Selous with this combo and great results.

David
Thanks David, 350g Woodleighs it is. I also emailed Swift about making a limited run of 350g A-Frame Semi Spitzers. If they did that I'd probably use them instead of the Woodleigh PPs if they shot to the same POI as the Woodleigh solids. Now to order my reloading dies as well ...

Chuck
Well Swift got back to me very quickly and said not enough volume to justify a run (I think they're wrong) but I appreciate their quick response. So I just ordered 100 Woodleigh 350g PPs and 50 350g FMJ solids from Huntingtons...
Originally Posted by colorado
Well Swift got back to me very quickly and said not enough volume to justify a run (I think they're wrong) but I appreciate their quick response. So I just ordered 100 Woodleigh 350g PPs and 50 350g FMJ solids from Huntingtons...

This is the attitude that opened the door to a lucrative business for Geoff McDonald with his Woodleigh Bullets.

Geoff offered to open up the die to create a heavier bullet for me once as long as it was at the end of a planned production run with that caliber.

It obviously can be done but would require a certain quantity to be viable. It only takes a single pilot run and an advertisement to determine the marketing potential.

Marketing........yeah, it is a word in the dictonary. I'm sure I've seen it there.

AGW
© 24hourcampfire