Home
I bought a double rifle about 4 years ago-my second.This a 450NE.I will leave the make out of this for personal reasons.
As soon as I received it new, both barrels grouped well-one very well but both groups were very far apart(horizontally)-5+ inches at 50yds and about4 inches vertically.I sent it back and still same thing and getting worse(shots crossing etc...I sent it back again and asked for barrels with a slightly larger diameter because I found the originals too thin and not what I asked for from the begining.I got it back and same thing and worst.I decided to ask JJ Perodeau to check it and he told me he doesn't work on that make of rifles.After putting things on hold for a couple of years I decided to send it to someone here in Canada(sent it yesterday) who was referred to me by an ACGG member at the DSC in Dallas.I was told the fellow has experience with english doubles(mine is not an english double).I was wondering if any member here who has experience with owning doubles can shed some light on this regulation issue.What is going on?
Kick off a conversation over on nitroexpress.com.
Was it a new rifle? If so, if it doesn't regulate with the factory load it was regulated for, they should make it right.

If it was a used rifle, playing around with different powders, grains, or bullets may be the solution. A gunsmith like JJ Perodeau can re-regulate it with a factory load of your choosing, but that gets expensive.
It is new.The load used is the one the manufacturer regulated it for.I already sent it back 3 times.It cost me money to export/import it each time.It is also very time consuming-it takes months each time.Perodeau will not work on rifles by this maker.I sent it to someone I was told is very knowledgeable in this area.
Originally Posted by swiftshot
It is new.The load used is the one the manufacturer regulated it for.I already sent it back 3 times.It cost me money to export/import it each time.It is also very time consuming-it takes months each time.Perodeau will not work on rifles by this maker.I sent it to someone I was told is very knowledgeable in this area.

You need to know what the load is that the factory used for regulation and then use that exact same load. Also ask what are the group sizes that they consider in spec.
Could this be a Sabbati that is regulated by "expert" use of a Dremel tool on the crown of each barrel ?
I cannot tell since swiftsh!t (aka sh!#away) was on ignore until jwp475 quoted him.
Is he ashamed to tell the make of the rifle ?
Take it with a grain of saltpeter whatever he says.
Graeme Wright discusses how to improve regulation in his book Shooting the British Double (I think that's the book - I have a copy but away away from it at the moment) by load development but that doesn't really solve the root cause.

I know a couple of guys who tried to adjust regulation themselves, and I think Graeme was involved, but from what I recall it was a long, difficult trial and error process. I don't remember if it was successful - I think our conversation was part way through the regulation process.
Originally Posted by Puddle
Kick off a conversation over on nitroexpress.com.

It's a great resource, and John Hahn can help you.
© 24hourcampfire