Home
Posted By: colorado The Great 500 Jeffery - 03/11/24
Thoughts, experiences, opinions?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Cabriolet Re: The Great 500 Jeffery - 03/11/24
I love this cartridge. Have shot a few rounds, a light rifle is a real handful, not to mention the punishment to your shoulder.

Planning on building another. Have all the parts: Action, barrel, reamers, dies, cases, bullets, stock, sights. Will not be soon as I have a few other rifle projects to finish.

I will throw up some photos later. The barrel is a No. 6 Pac Nor. Calculated rifle finished weight will be around 11 pounds.

If you think bullets for your 6mm are expensive, try to buy some 510 Grain Woodleighs. I have a good stash, been buying 50 cal bullets for years. 10 years ago, they were much cheaper and available.

You real elephant hunters chime in, where would you aim for a brain shot? I am guessing first wrinkle down. Head is pretty erect and vertical.
Posted By: colorado Re: The Great 500 Jeffery - 03/11/24
I have a good stash of Barnes 570g TSXs, 570g banded solids as well about 100 570g A-Frames. I try and but 20 rounds or so down range a year and then take it hunting smile

Mine weighs 11 lbs without scope and 12 lbs with unloaded

Posted By: Cabriolet Re: The Great 500 Jeffery - 03/12/24
Very nice looking rifle.
Posted By: colorado Re: The Great 500 Jeffery - 03/12/24
Thanks!
Posted By: jwp475 Re: The Great 500 Jeffery - 03/12/24
Originally Posted by Cabriolet
Very nice looking rifle.

Beautiful rifle
Originally Posted by colorado

Has all the earmarks of a bluff charge, so pick your poison … and hope you’re right.

If not a good 500 grain 0.458” or 570 grain 0.510” diameter monolithic FP solid bullet will probably scramble his brain enough to change his mind!! Too late to run, that’s for sure.
Posted By: Riflecrank Re: The Great 500 Jeffery - 03/14/24
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264

Has all the earmarks of a bluff charge, so pick your poison … and hope you’re right.

If not a good 500 grain 0.458” or 570 grain 0.510” diameter monolithic FP solid bullet will probably scramble his brain enough to change his mind!! Too late to run, that’s for sure.

Good RX, Doc.
Nice to see the image I posted at the anchor baby's web site is still getting some use.
The scotch tape on the top corners is a repair from stupidly slicing the cover of that monograph.
My misbegotten .500 Jeffery is still languishing at the Spa for Wayward rifles.
Going on 21 years since I found that set of handloading dies in Rapid City.
Oh the irony !
Posted By: colorado Re: The Great 500 Jeffery - 03/21/24
Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264

Good RX, Doc.
Nice to see the image I posted at the anchor baby's web site is still getting some use.
The scotch tape on the top corners is a repair from stupidly slicing the cover of that monograph.
My misbegotten .500 Jeffery is still languishing at the Spa for Wayward rifles.
Going on 21 years since I found that set of handloading dies in Rapid City.
Oh the irony !

Thanks for originally posting it! I found it on another African hunting website!
Posted By: Riflecrank Re: The Great 500 Jeffery - 03/26/24
Hey Colorado,
That monograph/Special Issue of BASA JOURNAL SOUTH AFRICA was too big to fit on my scanner.
Too big to fit in a sheet protector.
Here is a better quality image made by using "Paint" on what I could scan.
Please spread this around.

[Linked Image]

I will put it on the Africa Hunting thread you know about.
Posted By: colorado Re: The Great 500 Jeffery - 03/26/24
Thanks!
© 24hourcampfire