Home
Has anyone used this bullet on cape buff?

How did it do?
Only the .458 500gn RNSN at 2300 fps. It has been excellent on cape buffalo and other bovines. When shot through shoulder, the mushroomed bullet has each time been recovered just under the hide of the far shoulder. It broke the neck of one cape buffalo and it dropped on the spot. Weight retention is around 91% on those I've shot. On one occasion the guide videoed the shot and he said in slow motion, the hide on the far side stretched out about a foot with the mushroomed bullet and then it stretched back with the bullet found in the usual place underneath the hide on the far side. It is the only bullet I use on buffalo. I do not know whether the 480gn is softer or not than the 500gn or any other differences between the two.
Originally Posted by Riflehunter
Only the .458 500gn RNSN at 2300 fps. It has been excellent on cape buffalo and other bovines. When shot through shoulder, the mushroomed bullet has each time been recovered just under the hide of the far shoulder. It broke the neck of one cape buffalo and it dropped on the spot. Weight retention is around 91% on those I've shot. On one occasion the guide videoed the shot and he said in slow motion, the hide on the far side stretched out about a foot with the mushroomed bullet and then it stretched back with the bullet found in the usual place underneath the hide on the far side. It is the only bullet I use on buffalo. I do not know whether the 480gn is softer or not than the 500gn or any other differences between the two.

Do you use Woodleigh's?

How did he see the hide on the far side? Would love to see that one. Never seen such an effect on any big animal before. Can you post it up?
Originally Posted by swiftshot

Do you use Woodleigh's?
Yes, in .458 and .338
Originally Posted by bluefish

How did he see the hide on the far side? Would love to see that one. Never seen such an effect on any big animal before. Can you post it up?
The second guide who was doing a promotional video with the camera was at a different angle to myself as he didn't partake in the final component of the stalk from behind the buffalo to a side on position for the shot.
Boy I’d like to see at in slomo?
© 24hourcampfire