Home
Posted By: jry444 NEW 375H&H BARREL - 09/05/07
I just picked up a new barrel for my encore it is a stainless steel 26" 375H&H.I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO WORK UP ANY LOADS YET BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN WORKING ON LOADS FOR A FEW CONTENDER PISTOL BARRELS I PICKED UP OVER THE SUMMER.I HAVE A CUSTOM 7" 6.8 SPC MADE BY COYOTE CUSTOM BARRELS.I CAN SHOOT A 100 GR HORNADY SP ABOUT 1950 FPS,NOT BAD FOR A 7" BARREL.ANYWAY DO YOU GUYS HAVE ANY LIGHT LOADS THAT WOULD BE GOOD FOR WHITETAILS.I DONT THINK I NEED TO SHOOT MAX LOADS AND 300 GR BULLETS.ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED,JIM
Posted By: Grumulkin Re: NEW 375H&H BARREL - 09/05/07
Well, I think the powder to go with is RL-15 whether with 270 or 300 grain bullets.

375 H&H Mag. brass tends to stretch a lot so after the first reload, be sure to run a wire down the inside of the case to feel the groove that's the warning of incipient head separation.

I've never worked up light 375 H&H Mag. loads. It doesn't matter what bullet you use; it will still be more than enough for whitetails. A 300 grain bullet at moderate velocities out of a 375 H&H Mag. will give surprisingly little meat damage. My favorite bullet for this cartridge is the Hornady 300 gr. BTSP.

Another couple of pieces of advice...get a good steel scope mount (NOT Duo Rings) and a scope with plenty of eye relief.
Posted By: Savuti Re: NEW 375H&H BARREL - 09/05/07
For a whitetail load try 48/H4895, F210, with the 255 Barnes original FP. I use the one intneded for the 38-55 since I have a rifle in that caliber also. But they make one for the 375 Win also, diffferent canelure position.

That load gives right at 2000 f/s in a 24" Sako and shoots to "0" @ 100 when the heavy bullet "stomper" loads are 1" high.

SOS
© 24hourcampfire