Home
OK... I am picking up a CZ550 375 H&H to replace a sako I just sold.... What besides bedding the stock needs to be done to it? Action Job?

thanks
I would just bed and shoot; the action will break in and if it isn't sufficiently smooth after a few thousand cycles then it would be worth sending it out to be "slicked up."

Make up some dummy rounds and work them through the action, I found my CZ 550 458 win mag's feeding problem that way, a little work on the rails and a new follower spring solved the problem.
I am no fan of the "set trigger" function -- the first thing I would do would be to either back out the screw until it goes away or remove the mechanism altogether (instructions on CZ-USA website).

Other than the bedding you've already mentioned, I would also check the magazine spring strength. I've read several reports about weakness in the stock spring leading to feeding issues -- easy to replace.

the rest of it is kind of "personal preference" stuff -- monkeying with the sights, barrel length, stock shape, etc.

I have a 602 off for a new bbl. It's going to be 21", no more. I handled a CZ550 with a 20" bbl and was sold. The difference in handling for those rifles is like night and day.

Having said that ... If I had a 550, I'd get it cut to 21", get it bedded, add a good pad, get the stock done in a dark oil finish and clean up the checkering. Maybe add a bbl band swivel thingy.

I've had my CZ550 375 H&H for about 5 months now and I like it a lot. I've had some significant work done on it, but almost everything was personal preference (it wasn't needed,but wanted). Get it glass bedded, maybe have dual crossbolts put in as well. I think the trigger is actually fine, the safety works like a Rem 700, so if it's what you're used to it's also fine (forward is fire, back is safe). Make sure your iron sights are regulated before you scope it. Other than that, enjoy it.

Chuck
Thanks for the input....
I have a CZ in 416 Rigby. I slicked up the action, had the barrel ported, steel bedded action, Mauser heavy duty cartridge spring, jeweled tbe bolt, & added a barrel band. I topped off with a Swarovski 1.25-4X20 PH scope in removable rings. Following is a water buffalo that was killed with one shot. I followed with a safety shot to the spine when on the ground. CZ's work.[Linked Image]
MUSTS:
1. Action steel bedded
2. Action polished & stoned
3. Set trigger removed

Nice to have:
Stiffer spring
bolt jeweled (helps smoother action)
shorten barrel to 24"
replace rear sight
barrel band
jorge
I forgot to mention the trigger work. I like set triggers on some hunting rifles, mainly Mannlicher style, but not on a DGR. I assume you meant- shortened barrel to 21". I know a number of CZ owners have gone this route but I find the weight & balance OK. But then I am 6'!" & 245pds. I am sure the rifle balance would be improved by shortening. Good hunting.
Nope, I like & recommend 24" on a 375, especially a guy like you who's tall. That's what Model 70 Safari Express' have and it's a perfectly balanced rifle. jorge
Shoot it before you rebed; my 9.3X62 shot fine just the way it came. The set trigger function is easily disabled; no need to remove it. The action will smooth out by being worked while watching TV or some other mindless activity, or have a gunsmith you trust slick it up.
Thanks everyone..
Originally Posted by husqvarna
Shoot it before you rebed; my 9.3X62 shot fine just the way it came.

It's not just to improve accuracy. Quite often bedding will keep the stock from splitting at the tang or recoil lug.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Nope, I like & recommend 24" on a 375, especially a guy like you who's tall. That's what Model 70 Safari Express' have and it's a perfectly balanced rifle. jorge

I checked out a friend's 20" CZ and was sold. The improvement over the 25" made it a totally different gun.

I liked so much I had my Rem700 in 375/338 cut to 21" and ordered a 21" bbl for my 602.
My CZ 416 Rigby came from the factory with dual crossbolts and both recoil lugs steel bedded.

I don't find the set trigger an issue because it is engineered so if you adjust the pull weight down, the set feature is disabled (I think JB wrote about this happening in one of his articles). At any rate my trigger breaks at a crisp 3.5lbs with no set issues.

My rifle out of the box was the roughest bolt gun I have ever worked on. After a lot of work, today it is smooth as glass and I am really pleased with it.
My .375 CZ American Safari was issued with dual bedded recoil lugs and a decent trigger.

The only two things I did were to add Burris rings for my S&B Flashdot and move the front sling swivel QD stud from the bottom of the forend to a barrel band.

Actually, come to think of it now, there was a third thing - I plugged the old front swivel stud stock hole with a walnut dowel.

i think it's been covered here, but this is what i am doing...

action slicked and reliability/function checked, trigger adjust,barrel band added, bedded,cut and crowned to 23", necg hooded w/window and red fiber optic front sight,decel pad, bolt handle replaced and checkered, tallet QD rings holding a Luppy VXIII 1.75-6

some pics as she is sitting...
[img]http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/666943/fullsize/cz550[1]-mod.jpg[/img]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

should have some mo' pics in about 6-8 weeks... smile
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
I am no fan of the "set trigger" function -- the first thing I would do would be to either back out the screw until it goes away or remove the mechanism altogether (instructions on CZ-USA website).

Other than the bedding you've already mentioned, I would also check the magazine spring strength. I've read several reports about weakness in the stock spring leading to feeding issues -- easy to replace.

the rest of it is kind of "personal preference" stuff -- monkeying with the sights, barrel length, stock shape, etc.

I just picked up a Safari Classic, 375, and have no problems with the set trigger. Why not adjust it for a decent standard and set pull and have the best of both worlds. YOu do not have to set the trigger to fire the rifle. Mine, unset is so good, really better in my mind than when set, I do not use the set feature.
[quote=91xlt]i think it's been covered here, but this is what i am doing...

action slicked and reliability/function checked, trigger adjust,barrel band added, bedded,cut and crowned to 23", necg hooded w/window and red fiber optic front sight,decel pad, bolt handle replaced and checkered, tallet QD rings holding a Luppy VXIII 1.75-6

How did you replace the bolt handle, I would like to do this as I do not like that knob with a flared hole ( edge is relativelyh sharp). I prefer a perfectly round, smooth bolt knob. I also like the barrel band idea and may add stock cross bolts.
jkingrph, i will get details for you....
I always get puzzled when I read these posts, because I have owned several of the 550's, in chamberings from 9.3x62 to .416 Rigby, and they have all shot great out of the box with the factory bedding, with no hint of any stock splitting.

The earlier ones were smoother, apparently, but I have yet to run into one that wouldn't slick up just from use.

Others have already mentioned that the factory trigger works pretty well, whether you want to use the set function or not. If you adjust the primary (unset) pull down to around 3 pounds the set function goes away.
well for me personally...a 25" bbl is just waaaay too long...some feel it's ok, and the bolt, just seems too close to rifle...these and bedding where my personall biggest concerns...
as you stated most cz's are shooters,

and you can most certainly shoot'em right outta da box!

I have both a ZKK 602 in 375H&H (Jon Speeds old gun) and a CZ550 in 416Rigby. Both have had the barrel cut to 21" and barrel band front swivels installed along with NECG front ramps with Flourescent red beads. These are the adjustable front sights that permit elevation adjustment of front bead. Easily handles the changes needed for shortening the barrel. Have no complaints with the rear sight at all. 375 has the original stock which I really like and the 416 has a Brockman laminated. Triggers are original on both with no complaints either. Both have Decellerators. They are my favorite African DGR rifles.
hows the brockman stock???
have been eyeing them up recently...
Yeah, a 25" barre; might seem way too long, and the bolt handle a little close to the stock. But I have used mine in pretty thick stuff (where, for instance, I could't se a buffalo until it was 17 yards away) and had to fire it pretty rapidly while hunting. Never had a problem. This isn;t to say others might not, just that I haven't.
there is no doubt...these rifles straight out of the box are GREAT!!!
My experience is parallel to Mule Deer's. My 458 Win was very accurate out of the box. I checked with my gunsmith friend (mentioned on another thread, who built Terry Wieland's 458 Lott)re: bedding and cracking. He said to pull it out of the stock and if the recoil lugs (it has 2)were bearing square on their steel blocks, not to worry. Mine are, and I've fired hundreds of 458 Lott equivalent loads in it. The set trigger has been dealt with here, but I learned from Mule Deer that if it was adjusted to the point where there was no more "set", it would act like a normal trigger. I did that and it has a crisp/consistent release at 2.7lbs.

One more thing: I would advise caution over cutting the barrel to 20" - 21" because of muzzle blast that can seriously damage hearing with these big bores. I have a serious hearing impairment due to shooting a black bear with a 22" 458 Win. It was fine at the bench with ear protection, but for hunting without ear protection it literally hurt my ear drum (the one closest to the muzzle) so that today I only have about 20% hearing in that ear. It is still ringing as I type this, and that was about a decade ago! shocked
One more personal observation I wanted to add: I'm an "average" size guy 5'-10"/180 lbs, with long torso and short legs and arms. In other words, a "stocky" build. (And, by the way, an article by MD on stock shapes and shapes of people - was hilarious but all so true!)I'm also nearing my 73rd birthday but, thank the Lord, in excellent physical condition apart from some diabetes. So - my point being that a 10.2 lb/46" rifle fits me very well in Haliburton Highlands (famous for it's ruggednes and beauty). Like MD, I've not found my CZ550 to be too long, cumbersome or heavy on the high ridges, deep ravines and heavily forested regions of central Ontario. grin

Tomorrow, it is going bear huntin' with me! smile
God Bless, I'm about to turn 60 and I hope I'm hunting 14 years from now... My CZ could be a bit less muzzle heavy and a half pound lighter but I'm fixing that ...

smile

Chuck
My 550 Safari in .416 Rigby is performing flawlessly right out of the box.

The modification I have made was to the trigger. And all I did was follow the instructions on removing creep; simply turning a screw clockwise.

I see no reason to change or modify a thing...yet. Speaking of seeing, I am still shooting irons. I have a scope ordered with LOTS of eye relief.
One of the conclusions I have come to in my years of cruising the Campfire is that the rifle loonies here just like to dink around with rifles, on the slightest excuse. This is of course an honorable pastime, but often not nearly as "necessary" as we'd like the rest of the guys to believe.
Amen to both thoughts. But what would we do if not fiddling rifles to perfection?
The actions do tend to be a bit sticky as well, but cycling the bolt smooths things out quickly. All in all a great price for a complete rifle with a magnum Mauser-variant CRF action. They are known to be shooters as well.

Chuck
Just picked up my new CZ-550 375 H&H yesterday. Bavarian Hogs back stock and mounted a Leupold V3-1.5x5x20mm with G#4 reticle. Beautiful rifle but as has been written up here, action pretty rough and a little creep in the trigger, both full and set. Saw references to people slicking up the action and adjusting the trigger. I may have missed the directions on trigger adjustment in the manual. Can anyone provide those directions here, and also what techniques others have used for slicking up thier action. Gun shoots great!!!

Here's my 2 cents: I am awaiting either tonight or tomorrow my LH CZ 550 375 to arrive home from the skillful hands of Dennis Olson. Here is what I asked him to do:

1. replace factory bolt with one from Half Moon (lg Oberndorf style)
2. replace factory safety with 3 pos AHR (Dennis it went in perfectly)
3. Tune and adjust the factory trigger (Dennis said it was very good when tuned up)
4. Built up the bolt release into a pad
5. Knurled the floor plate release button
6. Tuned and slicked up the action
7. Scrubbed off the horrible billboard writing from the side of the receiver
8. Had Dennis custom mill a single leaf rear sight element and fit it into the factory rear sight
8. Added a barrel banded sling swivel
9. Cut barrel to 23"
10. Re-crowned the barrel
11. Added an NECG banded front sight/new sight element/hood
12. Bedded the rifle

Future plans for this winter are to have the factory stock re-worked and slimmed down considerably, then re-finish after getting off that nasty gorilla finish they throw on. Finally I'd like to have it rust blued. I have a wonderful 1/4 sawn walnut blank that I'd like to use if I can get the factory stock done the way I want; then I'll simply duplicate it with the good wood.

Like Colorado said earlier, most of this was because I wanted it not because I feel the rifle needs it. I'm keeping the factory barrel because it shoots better than I can.
I want no part of a trigger safety in any form. I'm only interested in a three position safety on the shroud that locks the firing pin. As to the stock I want the pistol grip and the recoil lug with steel added. As to barrel length, I'll leave that up to the individual. Length of pull is vary important and I would not forget to put a lot of consideration into working on that. Also I do not want any hang-ups from the butt. As to action work, get with the shroud and fit that perfectly, rail work had better be a no hang -up affair. If it needs a better follower spring do that for sure.

Last but not least, make this rifle your primary rifle, forgetting all others until the rifle becomes a thoughtless piece of machinery to you. Carry it everywhere.
Here is another vote for shooting it before rebedding; my 9.3X62 shot great just as it came. The factory bedding was well done with both recoil lugs bearing evenly. A friend of mine split the stock on his CZ .458 Lott, but no telling what kind of monster load he was shooting. The trigger was easy to adjust; the set trigger was easy to disable.

OK... I am picking up a CZ550 375 H&H to replace a sako I just sold.... What besides bedding the stock needs to be done to it? Action Job?

As others have said, there is not a lot you have to do but there may be a few things you want to do.

My 550 magnum is in 416 Rigby. For whatever reason it did not come with crossbolts so I had these installed. My thoughts were the stock would last longer...

I did some other things but the only thing that it really needed was to work the action during a football game to smooth it up. It shot great out of the box, shoots great now.

A couple of posters have cut their barrels back from the stock 25". I think barrel length is pretty subjective. For example I'm pretty tall and I find my CZ about right and would not touch the barrel length. Indeed, for me, barrels under 22" inches don't "feel" right. I think it may be worth just shooting the CZ with barrel as is to see how it suits you.

I am toying with putting a Model 70 style safety on but again, this is clearly a want.

Congratulations on a very nice rifle.
Let me say right here that bedding with glass and adding steel to strengthen any wood stock is never a mistake, just look around at old large recoiling rifles.
I've seen reference to replacing the follower/magazine spring. Now that I've used my 375 several times over the last week, I also find my spring is quite a bit weaker than I would like. Where have people been getting stronger replacement springs?
Brownells has a 98 Mauser magazine spring with 10% extra power that works well.
© 24hourcampfire