Home
Hi Folks,

On the SAKO web site it shows this model in 338 Win and 375 H&H. The model 85 is said to have controlled feed. Stainless metal in a laminated stock with about a 21" barrel with a useful open back up sights. All for an MSRP of $1800.

Has anyone seen one yet? What did you think of it?
I have a Mod 85 SS/lam in a smaller version, .308. It is built very well, excellent trigger and quick lock time. The detachable magazine system is the best I've seen, and the rifle is accurate. Feeding is flawless. It is one of my favourites. I think the Kodiak would be a good rifle if it fits you.
I have one in 375 H&H magnum.
Sako recoil pads are not good.
Action is not truly "controlled round feed", more like partial.
It came with a standard sling swivel and the barrel band, that's just ridiculous.....now I to grind off the swivel (read knuckle buster) and change the recoil pad before the gun is ready.
I ordered mine last August and recieved it end of April for 1600$
trigger lacks nothing, and I'm fussy.
It is set up for quick detach scope, I'm going with Talley's.
Yes! I have seen and handled one. My dealer ordered one in a 375 H&H for a customer and is waiting for the customer to come in and get it. The Kodiak hapened to come up in our conversation, so he let me handle it.

It is very good looking, is well built, smooth action, and handles very well. But for $1600 to $1800?????.....NOPE!

18 months ago, I paid $821 for my uglier, but all weather 20" barreled matte .375 Ruger Alaskan. That Sako Kodiak is almost or at double the price. Any small differences in the actions, feeding, or anything else you can come with imo, can`t justify doubling of the price. On any hunt, the Alaskan will certainly do anything the Kodiak will do and a little then some.

Even if one dislikes the Alaskan`s Hogue stock, the Alaskan`s Hogue stock can still be replaced for less than the total cost of the Sako Kodiak.

But if you have a need for the more "traditional" 375 H&H, the Sako Kodiak is fine looking and great handling piece.

BTW! I wonder where or from whom, Sako came up with the great idea to chamber the 375 H&H in a shorter and handier rifle???......HMMMMM!......From Ruger??? Naaaaaw!!!
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
BTW! I wonder where or from whom, Sako came up with the great idea to chamber the 375 H&H in a shorter and handier rifle???......HMMMMM!......From Ruger??? Naaaaaw!!!

Ahem... <politely clears throat> I think you have things reversed!

Sako sold a lot of 19 inch barreled .375 H &H carbines that went under 8lbs --- about 25 years ago!

[Linked Image]

Here is one for sale at Cabela's

I have shot several of them at the range, but alas have not been able to buy one yet. A bit lively to shoot off the bench, but no problem really.

John
Originally Posted by jpb

Sako sold a lot of 19 inch barreled .375 H &H carbines that went under 8lbs --- about 25 years ago!

[Linked Image]

I have shot several of them at the range, but alas have not been able to buy one yet. A bit lively to shoot off the bench, but no problem really.

John
............Interesting! I didn`t know that. Possibly more popular in Europe awaaaay back? I never have seen one on the racks here in the states.
Originally Posted by jpb

John
............Interesting! I didn`t know that. Possibly more popular in Europe awaaaay back? I never have seen one on the racks here in the states.

I saw 2 in Canada when I lived there, but that was all. Never saw one when I lived in the US, but now I can find some on Gunbroker so at least some made it there.

Nice rifles in my opinion.

Cheers,

John
I've heard of the short Sakos in Alaska, IIRC.
Well! At least I had a good excuse for not realizing that they existed,,,,somewhere!

Regardless of who`s idea it originally was in chambering 375`s in shorter and handier rifles, the concept behind them is wonderful.

By introducing the Kodiak, perhaps the powers that be, who are at Sako today, saw what Ruger was and is successfully doing in the US market and decided to get in on the act themselves??......Highly likely!!!

I do believe that Sako in introducing their own .370 Sako cartridge, (in possibly thinking it could compete with the .375 Ruger; NO WAY),,,will flop big time! Rifle sales is the name of the game and the bottom line. IMO, the .370 Sako will never take off here in this country. It just might in Europe though!

If Sako wants more Kodiak rifle sales here in the US, they should just stay with chambering the popular cartridges including the .375 H&H, the 338 WM as they are apparently doing and also include the .375 Ruger.

370 Sako??? Forget about it Sako. It won`t fly!
The idea that a ruger is equal to a sako is well..........BUll. This rifel has to shoot 5 rounds inside 1" or it isn't shipped! Sako action is famous for greased glass smooth (always, every rifle). Couple that with caliber selection (not rugers pet cartridge). (Yes the 375 H&H is one of my great loves)
p.s I will always pay what ever it costs to have the right rifle! When it comes to hunting griz the "kodiak" is the right rifle. My 1600$ +.02
Sako shipped in 75 rifles into the US in March I got #32 smile
Originally Posted by nickelstick
The idea that a ruger is equal to a sako is well..........BUll. This rifel has to shoot 5 rounds inside 1" or it isn't shipped! Sako action is famous for greased glass smooth (always, every rifle). Couple that with caliber selection (not rugers pet cartridge). (Yes the 375 H&H is one of my great loves)
p.s I will always pay what ever it costs to have the right rifle! When it comes to hunting griz the "kodiak" is the right rifle. My 1600$ +.02
..........Nickelstick!.....First, I never implied on this thread that the Ruger Alaskan was equal to the Sako Kodiak as far as action smoothness, or in any other areas of possible manufacturing refinement.

Secondly! While the Sako Kodiak has some refinements over the Ruger M77 Hawkeye Alaskan, I did previously state that these extra refinements (as a personal observation and opinion after handling the Kodiak), are not worth double the price or more. And I`ll stand by that assessment!

While the action of the Sako Kodiak is quite smooth (granted), my Alaskan`s M77 action smoothness, isn`t reeeeally too far behind the Sako in that particular dept, especially after its been worked hundreds and hundreds of times.

And yes, Sako has certain accuracy standards or they don`t ship, such as 5 shots at 1" or less and that is great and all well and good! While I haven`t as of yet, fired a 5 shot group with my Ruger Alaskan, I have fired quite a number of 3 shot groups with reloads.

After much experimentation, my best 3 shots groupings, using specific charges of either RL15 or H4350 along with the Nosler 260 gr A/Bs (combos which my Alaskan seems to love and after some COAL adjustments), do average an inch (OD) and slightly less in some groupings depending on the charge.

Whether a 375 rifle averages 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" at the outside for 3 to 5 shot groupings, averages moa, or sub-moa for 3 to 5 shot groupings and given the same hunting distances for the first shot, it will make no difference whatsoever between any success or failure hunting any large big game that is normally hunted with a 375. It won`t matter whether the end result comes by a $821 Ruger Alaskan or a $1600 to $1800 Sako Kodiak! The end result, whether hunting a big grizzly, a moose, a bison, or an African caped buffalo, will still be the same;;;;very DEAD assuming the hunter does his part.

1" or less for 5 shot groupings are great for the range. But I have yet to tape or secure a paper target on any of my kills prior to the first shot in the pursuit of seeking tight groups while on a hunt.

Like I stated before but with a slight addition this time, I`ll state this...Setting aside the certain refinements of the Kodiak over the Ruger, of which granted there are; given the same hunting circumstances, the same animals, the same shooting distances, the same weather conditions or given the same of anything else for that matter that you can think of, there is absolutely nothing that a $1600 to $1800 .375 H&H Kodiak can do, that a (what I paid) $821 .375 Ruger Alaskan cannot do!

If there is in the case of these two rifles,, it won`t be the fault of either rifle, but instead the fault of the hunter himself.

Whatever, at 200 yards either 375 has more ftlbs than a 300 winmag at the muzzle! There is no reason to not shoot 400 yards with a 375 magnum. I use tactical style scopes/range finder/range time to be spot on (with all my rifles except black powder).
p.s I like Rugers to....but it's no Sako. Don't slam rifles you can't or don't want to afford.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=970195

p.s I like Rugers to....but it's no Sako. Don't slam rifles you can't or don't want to afford.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=970195
....................Well Nickelstick! Quite a little remark! By your defensive posturing, I can see that you just may have a habit of seriously taking things out of context by mis-reading what was stated.

Accusing me of slamming rifles, that I either cannot afford or that I don`t want to afford???? You`re taking this way too personal. However, I can assure you, that I can WELL afford any rifle I want,,,hundreds of times over.

No way sir, did I slam the Kodiak rifle itself in any way on this thread. If so, WHERE`S the quote? My only slam of the Kodiak, if you want to call it a slam, was Sako`s decision to chamber a redundant .370 Sako cartridge of their own! But that`s not really a slam on the rifle itself,,is it??? I also expressed the opinion, that the Sako Kodiak was not worth twice the price or more over the Ruger. That opinion by me, WAS NOT slamming the Kodiak rifle itself!

WISE UP and get over yourself with your out of context over emotional defensiveness. I know that the Sako Kodiak is a very good rifle. As far as just the rifles were concerned, I never stated that the Kodiak was equal to the Ruger. Where`s THAT quote by me?? What I did state however (paraphrasing), is that their capabilities in the field on the HUNTS would be equal. See the difference?????

Put things into their proper perspective with what I stated and try to contain your emotions and/or your defensiveness as well.....OK?
whiner
whiner
........ laugh laugh laugh laugh....You`re a laugher and a joke!....."Whiner" is the best rebuttal you can come up with after you are challenged and rightly so?

Accusing me of slamming rifles that I cannot afford or won`t afford?

And when you`re challenged and confronted head on,,,"WHINER" is the best response ya got there???................. laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Yep! A real laugher!

I just like to watch you babble.....see no one cares.
It seems like reloading with the Ruger 375 would definitely increase its versatility(Midway only has 3 loads all 50$ a box!). Does anyone except Hornady make ammo for it yet? That's one reason I went with a H&H is lots more ammo options, all the way down to 30$ for a box of 20 plinkers (if a 375 every plinks).
How many does the Ruger hold in the mag, the 85 Kodiak holds 4 in the mag.
I just like to watch you babble.....see know one cares.
........I`m not concerned with who cares or who doesn`t care! Interesting that you have no comment or can`t comment, after you were confronted, challenged, dis-credited and then decisively check-mated.....

It appears as though you`re a damn democrat! Ah hell! Just an assumption on my part! Because that`s what they do when confronted with facts. Like a bunch of cockroaches when confronted with a can of "Raid"

PS.......BTW! In your sentence above of,,,"know one cares",,,the "know" as you so eloquently state or typed should be spelled as,,,,,,,,,"NO"

How`s that for some babbling?

How many does the Ruger hold in the mag, the 85 Kodiak holds 4 in the mag.
.......SO WHAT!!!....One less round in the magazine of a 375 Ruger, won`t affect the final outcome,,REGARDLESS,,of what animal I`m hunting......

Keep going, you`re doing good! What`s next???
Well, it might very well effect the outcome. You seem a little over excitable(read as shoot much, miss much). It seems like like the "what you want to afford" may very well be accurate, You admitted The Ruger is no Sako, yet you settled. I knew what I wanted and after I grind down (or replace with a matching screw) the silly sling swivel on the stock, replace the crappy sako recoil pad....It will be what I want....and bought. You on the other hand will still have "your" choice. I admitt I spent like a "demycrat" to get here.
"check mated"? You trying to put the moves on me now? Funny we just met! i suppose you get frustrated and that becomes your answer smile
You stated "While the action of the Sako Kodiak is quite smooth (granted),18 months ago, I paid $821 for my uglier, my Alaskan`s M77 action smoothness, isn`t reeeeally too far behind the Sako " No you didn't slam Sako you slammed...you know that other one. But you still insist, I over paid? Coupled with Gauranteed accuracy equal or better than your handloads, More rounds in the mag..and well it's a SAKO 85 KODIAK! I see why your upset. I understand, you couldn't "afford" it at the time.
Well, it might very well effect the outcome. You seem a little over excitable(read as shoot much, miss much). It seems like like the "what you want to afford" may very well be accurate, You admitted The Ruger is no Sako, yet you settled. I knew what I wanted and after I grind down (or replace with a matching screw) the silly sling swivel on the stock, replace the crappy sako recoil pad....It will be what I want....and bought. You on the other hand will still have "your" choice. I admitt I spent like a "demycrat" to get here.
......Excitable? Not at all! Let`s just say I`m a little confrontational and challenging to someone like you, when I need to be.

4 rounds combined in the chamber and magazine as opposed to 5 rounds, like I said, won`t make any difference to me and won`t affect my hunting outcome.

You on the other hand, may need ALL 5 rounds in your H&Hs magazine and chamber for kills on your hunts????? HA HA!! 4 rounds of 375 H&H not enough for ya? Doesn`t say too much for you, now does it?

I don`t think of buying my Ruger Alaskan as just "settling" as you might want to think. I know you`d like to think that though!
I buy things because I like them, not necessarily based on what the price tag is whether lower or higher.

NO! You didn`t spend like democrat, because you got what you wanted. On the other hand and based on your responses to me, (or lack of any content), there is a good chance that you think and act like one though!!! A "demycrat" that is!!!

What`s next???
"check mated"? You trying to put the moves on me now? Funny we just met! i suppose you get frustrated and that becomes your answer smile
......Putting moves on you? Wishful thinking pal!
If there is a Zombie uprising I admit it is possible I could miss a few. It's kinda cool, we have such wonderful weapons and calibers we (read you)have to resort to mindless babble.
Either way if any rhinos go beserk in Anaheim or Bemidji(my home) we would mop up. If 5 got loose I just wouldn't need to reload smile....unless I pooched a shot or two (stranger things have happened)
You stated "While the action of the Sako Kodiak is quite smooth (granted),18 months ago, I paid $821 for my uglier, my Alaskan`s M77 action smoothness, isn`t reeeeally too far behind the Sako " No you didn't slam Sako you slammed...you know that other one. But you still insist, I over paid? Coupled with Gauranteed accuracy equal or better than your handloads, More rounds in the mag..and well it's a SAKO 85 KODIAK! I see why your upset. I understand, you couldn't "afford" it at the time.
......Ya know! You`re a real bonehead, who obviously cannot comprehend properly or discern what he reads and then assumes way tooooo much in the process.

You are associating my opinion, that the Sako isn`t worth twice the price of the Ruger, along WITH your thinking that I`m somehow slamming you because you paid too much for your Sako??

I`m not insisting you overpaid and never insisted YOU overpaid. Where`s that quote in this thread where I stated that??? I am of the opinion that the Sako, is not worth twice the price or possibly even more! PERIOD! Take YOU out of the equation!

Oh BTW! When I did buy my Alaskan, I could more than afford it then too!!......Nice try!

Also, my guarantee in accuracy or assurance of accuracy, comes alot more from my reloads, rather than from any factory guarantee. Results are what matter, regardless of any factory guarantee!!!....Nice try there too!

Next?

If there is a Zombie uprising I admit it is possible I could miss a few. It's kinda cool, we have such wonderful weapons and calibers we (read you)have to resort to mindless babble.
Either way if any rhinos go beserk in Anaheim or Bemidji(my home) we would mop up. If 5 got loose I just wouldn't need to reload smile....unless I pooched a shot or two (stranger things have happened)
.......You`re calling my posts mindless babble???? I think you need to re-read all your posts!!

Oh! And if and when there is a Zombie attack or the rhinos go beserk here in Anaheim, you`ll be the first to know!!!

In the meantime, I guess I`ll have to be content with my 4 .375 Ruger rounds in the magazine and chamber, contained in my sub-par Ruger Alaskan rifle for just such an event, should the zombies and rhinos attack. wink wink wink wink wink
Nickelstick?????..........BTW! I think you need to remove the "nickel" portion from your user name and just call yourself "stick." You are certainly,,,, 5 cents short of a nickel!!!...........
I did not call your posts mindless babble, thats how you read it:) Admittedly you followed directions.
Naw you read and reread them, checked them for spelling etc already...I'll trust your diagnosis of me.
p.s I never said the beserk Rhinos attacked, you assumed that also(You seem to do that more lately). Why did you call your rifle "sub-par"? Wishing you could afford a fine rifle like a SAKO?
I did not call your posts mindless babble, thats how you read it:) Admittedly you followed directions.
Naw you read and reread them, checked them for spelling etc already...I'll trust your diagnosis of me.
p.s I never said the beserk Rhinos attacked, you assumed that also(You seem to do that more lately). Why did you call your rifle "sub-par"? Wishing you could afford a fine rifle like a SAKO?
..........Yep! You`re right!....Ya know what! I`m gonna rush out the door (tomorrow) and go find a Sako Kodiak and trade in my Ruger Alaskan!!!

I REALLY need that smaller 1/8" group accuracy at 100 yards plus that extra round in the magazine for when the zombies and rhinos attack.

That`s something that the Ruger Alaskan just won`t give me! Thank you so much for bringing these things to my attention!

Now, I`ll sleep much better knowing that I`ll be much safer with the Kodiak`s extra round in the magazine while being a little more accurate too.

You`re a real god-send, who has given me a totally new perspective on things!..... grin grin grin...Can`t thank ya enough!
You have called me laugher, joke, sir, bonehead, Godsend, stick(that was funny),democrat, 5cents short of a nickle, and a babbler while all I called you was a whiner. Now you are thankful and peace shall be returned to the people!
I'd take that ruger off your hands, if I could afford it smile

I'd take that ruger off your hands, if I could afford it smile
..........The only person that will ever take my Ruger off my hands, should I decide to sell it, is someone who would appreciate it!.........
[quote=nickelstick]You have called me laugher, joke, sir, bonehead, Godsend, stick(that was funny),democrat, 5cents short of a nickle quote].............All compliments!
OK boys, off the playground. Ma's calln ya fer dinner.
Oh! Dinner time already?..........Having some good entertaining debatin fun with Mr. Nickelsssssshtick!!!
Oh! Dinner time already?..........Having some good entertaining debatin fun with Mr. Nickelsssssshtick!!!

Haha, carry on! wink
Well! At least I had a good excuse for not realizing that they existed,,,,somewhere!

Regardless of who`s idea it originally was in chambering 375`s in shorter and handier rifles, the concept behind them is wonderful.

By introducing the Kodiak, perhaps the powers that be, who are at Sako today, saw what Ruger was and is successfully doing in the US market and decided to get in on the act themselves??......Highly likely!!!

I do believe that Sako in introducing their own .370 Sako cartridge, (in possibly thinking it could compete with the .375 Ruger; NO WAY),,,will flop big time! Rifle sales is the name of the game and the bottom line. IMO, the .370 Sako will never take off here in this country. It just might in Europe though!

If Sako wants more Kodiak rifle sales here in the US, they should just stay with chambering the popular cartridges including the .375 H&H, the 338 WM as they are apparently doing and also include the .375 Ruger.

I have a 370 Sako, with 22" bbl it weighs 7.25 pounds with a 6x42 leupold, holds 5 rounds in the magaxine and launches a 250gr bullet at 2750 fps. For this i sold my 375HH, 270gr bullet at 2700fps, 10.5lb rig with 24" bbl. In performance no animal will ever know the differance, but I do , I like short light powerful rifles/cartridges for real world hunting of big animals.To me its not so much about the cartridge ....its about the package for an intended purpose.
Originally Posted by Furprick

I have a 370 Sako, with 22" bbl it weighs 7.25 pounds with a 6x42 leupold, holds 5 rounds in the magaxine and launches a 250gr bullet at 2750 fps. For this i sold my 375HH, 270gr bullet at 2700fps, 10.5lb rig with 24" bbl. In performance no animal will ever know the differance, but I do , I like short light powerful rifles/cartridges for real world hunting of big animals.To me its not so much about the cartridge ....its about the package for an intended purpose.
........In agreement with ya there! It is about the rifles and maybe more so! What your 370 Sako does for you in the 22" tubed Kodiak, the 375 Ruger does for me with the 20" tubed Alaskan, such as launching a 225 gr Hornady at 3016 fps and 2808 fps with a 270 gr Hornady, with reloads of course. Shorter barrels, but great performers.

I just dont think and believe that in leiu of the popularity of the 375 H&H and the 375 Ruger, that the 370 Sako cartridge itself will survive or go over well here in the states. However, I may be proven wrong over time. The Sako Kodiak rifle will surely survive, but sales of these rifles will substantially increase by other and more popular chamberings. This is why Sako offers the 375 H&H and now the 338 Win Mag in the Kodiak.

The bottom line will be Sako Kodiak rifle sales #s. The way that will be done or increased is by chambering the already popular cartridges.

If the 370 Sako round grows in popularity during the process, then so be it and more power to it!
I love BS threads.
I don't think the 370 will ever be mainstream like the 375HH and 338Win. Brass and bullets are much more exoensive and not widely available. Eg: barnes 250gr TSX (50) 76.00, 100 brass 214 dollars.
I realize that this post is very old, but I have recently acquired a Kodiak in .375 and am interested in loads that folks have had success with as a way to establish reasonable starting points for load development in my rifle.

Many thanks for any wisdom you may share!
Originally Posted by Genehunter
I realize that this post is very old, but I have recently acquired a Kodiak in .375 and am interested in loads that folks have had success with as a way to establish reasonable starting points for load development in my rifle.

Many thanks for any wisdom you may share!

I picked up a Kodiak in 375 a few weeks ago but have only had a chance to shoot it once. One thing I noticed loading up some plinker round for it is that magazine length is going to limit you somewhat when loading spire point bullets. I had to decrease the COAL from what was in the Horndady manual for the 225 gr Spire Points. Otherwise, I really like the rifle. Excellent balance and the iron sites are positioned such that they come in alignment with very little head movement needed when mounting the rifle.
whiner
........ laugh laugh laugh laugh....You`re a laugher and a joke!....."Whiner" is the best rebuttal you can come up with after you are challenged and rightly so?

Accusing me of slamming rifles that I cannot afford or won`t afford?

And when you`re challenged and confronted head on,,,"WHINER" is the best response ya got there???................. laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Yep! A real laugher!

checked out a Sako Kodiak .375 and it is heads & shoulders above the Ruger Alaskan...this I agree, BUT just what is nickledicks problem? Such attitude?
I just like to watch you babble.....see know one cares.
........I`m not concerned with who cares or who doesn`t care! Interesting that you have no comment or can`t comment, after you were confronted, challenged, dis-credited and then decisively check-mated.....

It appears as though you`re a damn democrat! Ah hell! Just an assumption on my part! Because that`s what they do when confronted with facts. Like a bunch of cockroaches when confronted with a can of "Raid"

PS.......BTW! In your sentence above of,,,"know one cares",,,the "know" as you so eloquently state or typed should be spelled as,,,,,,,,,"NO"

How`s that for some babbling?

Nobody cares... I'm glad the two of you have resolved that. I'd give me left nut for a 375, $800 or $1600 don't matter to me. Ruger and Sako are both good guns... I don't think the game animals you're shooting with them give a chit how much they cost.
© 24hourcampfire