Home
Posted By: Heeler I sure do like my CZ - 06/16/09
My CZ-550 Safari Magnum in 375 H&H finally showed up last week. Got to do a little shooting this past weekend with it. Just did open sights off the sticks at 50 and 100 yards and really, really like this rifle. And also very happy with how it shoots. Now I gotta get the scope on and dial it in.

I found like others have said, that recoil is very manageable. I did the first 3-shot string without any padding, but after that I did dig around in the truck to find something for more padding. grin

Here's an action shot.

Thanks for looking.

Attached picture 13383-CZ1a.jpg
Posted By: HawkI Re: I sure do like my CZ - 06/16/09
If you get to flinchin', just push the trigger foreward and settle in (grins).
Posted By: Heeler Re: I sure do like my CZ - 06/16/09
Yeah, that set trigger is really nice!!!!! Especially for the bench/target shooting. laugh
Posted By: bearstalker Re: I sure do like my CZ - 06/16/09
Congrats on the new rifle. What were you shooting in it?
Posted By: safariman Re: I sure do like my CZ - 06/16/09
If you want to consider some changes to your rifle that some consider upgrades you can go to the thread in custom rifles and wildcats entitled 'making the CZ into a world class dangerous game rifle' the first post, from Alienduinn, is a link to a place where you can download a complete copy of an article on modifications suggested for this rifle.

I really like my CZ in 416 Rigby as well(see photo of said rifle with dead Elephant to the left here) . You have chosen well, I hope you hunt it a lot.
Posted By: JS_LaCourse Re: I sure do like my CZ - 06/16/09
Hey Safariman,

Who authored that nice little piece on the CZ mods....?

I spoke with Dennis Olson today and he has got my safety and new bolt handle on. He'll cut the barrel to 23" and deal with the new sights, etc and be done in a couple of weeks.

Can't wait.

Good deal, Heeler. Nice rifles, them CZs.
Posted By: Tuco Re: I sure do like my CZ - 06/16/09
My friend has a CZ in .375 H&H, which he used on a 2004 Tanzania buffalo hunt (I used my Model 700, in the same caliber). His CZ is a terrific rifle, but I confess that I disliked the thick, clubby forearm....waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too chunky for my tastes. Even so, it's a shooter and I'm sure you'll have no regrets with respect to yours.
Posted By: medicman Re: I sure do like my CZ - 06/16/09
A friend of mine took the wood way down on a 416 rigby cz and it was brutal. Minor wood removal to clean up comfort probably would not effect recoil or handling.
Randy
Posted By: HawkI Re: I sure do like my CZ - 06/16/09
Originally Posted by Tuco
My friend has a CZ in .375 H&H, which he used on a 2004 Tanzania buffalo hunt (I used my Model 700, in the same caliber). His CZ is a terrific rifle, but I confess that I disliked the thick, clubby forearm....waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too chunky for my tastes. Even so, it's a shooter and I'm sure you'll have no regrets with respect to yours.

That rifle, in particular chambered in 375 HH, is a bit of a club. With a 416 case, a little less of one grin

Still a fine rifle for the price.
Posted By: JS_LaCourse Re: I sure do like my CZ - 06/16/09
For dealing with the factory stock, here is a pretty good representation of what can be done with a little work:

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/688109605?r=523105705#523105705

Posted By: colorado Re: I sure do like my CZ - 06/16/09
Somehow it doesn't seem too club like when it's chambered for 500 Jeffrey. I had the CZ #1 upgrade done to mine by AHR. It was well worth the money, but in reality there was really nothing wrong with the rifle as it came.

Mine started out as a 375 H&H, rebarreled by Harlan at the CZ Custom Shop. 375 H&H is all you need for anything, the 500 Jeffrey is probably just part of the mid-life crisis I'm hoping to be able to afford lol ...

[Linked Image]

smile

Regards,

Chuck
Posted By: safariman Re: I sure do like my CZ - 06/17/09
The red convertible in the backdrop screams mid life crisis as well smile

Best way to deal with a second childhood is to never leave the FIRST one!
Posted By: avagadro Re: I sure do like my CZ - 06/17/09
Hey Safariman,

Who authored that nice little piece on the CZ mods....?

Some wind-bag!! smile

I'd like to own one, but at over $1k new ... maybe a 375Ruger smile
Posted By: colorado Re: I sure do like my CZ - 06/17/09
Well the 73 Mustang convertible was a well used Colorado car I bought for my oldest son for $5000. All original with the 351 Cleveland (except for the Edelbrock 4 barrel, Crane Cam, ported heads and dual exhausts ...) We restored it over time, but he needed a reliable car so I bought him one and inherited the Mustang. The Mustang's going on the block to buy my younger son a reliable car for college. Kids, what causes them ?

smile

Chuck
Well the 73 Mustang convertible was a well used Colorado car I bought for my oldest son for $5000. All original with the 351 Cleveland (except for the Edelbrock 4 barrel, Crane Cam, ported heads and dual exhausts ...) We restored it over time, but he needed a reliable car so I bought him one and inherited the Mustang. The Mustang's going on the block to buy my younger son a reliable car for college. Kids, what causes them ?

smile

Chuck
Posted By: Heeler Re: I sure do like my CZ - 06/17/09
Thanks all for the kind words. I probably won't ever do any modifications. I don't have a problem with the 2 position safety as I own a Model 700 also. And the stock really doesn't feel clunky to me. Maybe it's becuase I have large hands.

I figure I'll just shoot the heck out of it for right now and in the future if I want to modify I will.

Bearstalker. I'm shooting the Hornady DG (2870 fps) 270gr Spire Point Interlocks. It's for plainsgame right now and seem to be a pretty darn good round.

Thanks again.
Congrats again on the new rifle, I think there's little to improve on out of the box. Some of us just have to tinker though ...

smile

Chuck
Posted By: Midas Re: I sure do like my CZ - 06/18/09
I have 2 of the CZ 550's (one in .416 Rigby, the other in .458 Lott) and I have found both of them to be handsome, hard working hunting rifles.

To me they are a heck of a bargain at $950, and if you feel the need to customize them a bit down the road it can be done with ease.

I will be adding a third in a .500 of some sort, probably buy another Rigby and have it sent to AHR for a .500 A2 conversion, they are addictive!
Posted By: JS_LaCourse Re: I sure do like my CZ - 06/24/09
Thoughts on the set trigger feature aside, none other than Ted Blackburn told me yesterday on the phone he thought the CZ trigger could be worked over a bit and turned into a hell of a trigger thus obviating the need for replacement.
Posted By: agazain Re: I sure do like my CZ - 06/24/09
Have him set it to 3# and forget it -- defeats the set function.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: I sure do like my CZ - 06/25/09
Exactly what I have published several times.

It always puzzles me when so many people advise expensive modifications of a CZ 550. I have had several 550's and all have shot very well out of the box.

The trigger is easily adjustable, and in my experience crisp and rugged (I have only hunted with them from Alaska to Afica). Straightening the bolt handle just makes it further forward, hence harder to grab quickly. The safety is perfectly functional and much handier and less likely to be bumped around than a Model 70 type.

WTF do you gain by all the modifications, except being able to brag that you paid for them?

I've smoothed a few minor rough places. Big deal.
Posted By: GuyM Re: I sure do like my CZ - 06/25/09
What the heck are the differences between a BRNO and a CZ 550?

I found a lightly used BRNO .375 for $400 last year and sent my Africa bound friend after it. He snatched it up in a heartbeat. Great rifle, but neither one of us knows much about it.
Posted By: BigUglyMan Re: I sure do like my CZ - 06/26/09
Originally Posted by GuyM
What the heck are the differences between a BRNO and a CZ 550?

I found a lightly used BRNO .375 for $400 last year and sent my Africa bound friend after it. He ed it up in a heartbeat. Great rifle, but neither one of us knows much about it.

Safety on the 602 is backwards from most safeties. You pull it backwards to take it off safe and push it forward to put it on safe. I'm not a 602 fan but my buddy back40sniper loves his and sold a 550 in 416 Rigby when he was able to locate a 602 in the same chambering.

I should have bought that 550...would have made a fine donor!
Posted By: JS_LaCourse Re: I sure do like my CZ - 06/30/09
I held a re-stocked 550 in 375 the other day and all I can say is wow! night and day versus the factory stick. with a slimmed down stock and a slightly open grip that rifle comes up like a dream even with a 25" barrel. In fact, the balance was spot on and it just hung there.

that is one seriously addictive rifle when re-done.
Posted By: efw Re: I sure do like my CZ - 07/04/09
Originally Posted by JS_LaCourse
Thoughts on the set trigger feature aside, none other than Ted Blackburn told me yesterday on the phone he thought the CZ trigger could be worked over a bit and turned into a hell of a trigger thus obviating the need for replacement.

A friend of mine picked up a 243 Win a few years ago and found the unset trigger pretty bad, so he had the 'smith at Gander Mtn rework. It is wonderful now. Great suggestion.
Posted By: jkingrph Re: I sure do like my CZ - 07/06/09
I only have one complaint about mine. I do not like the hollowed bolt handle, then way it was drilled then the hole beveled makes a sharp edge. I am seriously thinking about having it welded in recontured and blued or make an insert to fill it in.
Posted By: CZ550 Re: I sure do like my CZ - 07/06/09
I have to agree with Mule Deer as his article on the subject of the set trigger worked for me: I turned the screw in until the "set" was gone and it breaks cleanly at 2.7 lbs... every time!

Mine's in .458WM, has very nice wood, is accurate and FAST! I don't load 500's in it any more as it's used in moose and bear hunting with a 350-gr TSX at 2750 fps @ MOA. The weight and fit are perfect and I wouldn't want the stock changed one little bit! It's a great rifle for under 1K IMO.

If I were a one-rifle guy, it might well be my CZ550 in .458WM.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca
Posted By: colorado Re: I sure do like my CZ - 07/06/09
I like my CZ a lot too!

[Linked Image]

smile

Chuck
Posted By: Ost Re: I sure do like my CZ - 07/11/09
Originally Posted by colorado
I like my CZ a lot too!

[Linked Image]

smile

Chuck

Beautiful rifle! Details please....
Posted By: colorado Re: I sure do like my CZ - 07/11/09
Hi Ost. My rifle started out as a CZ 550 Safari Magnum in 375 H&H, but I special ordered it and had them add the barrel band, cross bolts, action job, and glass bed it. All in all it only came in about $300 more than one off of the rack.

I then sent it to AHR for their CZ #1 Upgrade (straighten and fill bolt, replace trigger with their own single stage trigger, and put on M70 type 3 position safety). I freely admit none of this was necessary, but for $500 plus shipping AHR did a wonderful job.

Finally a fit of insanity hit me and I had it rebarreled by Triple River Gunsmithing (who do most of the CZ Custom Shop's work) to 500 Jeffrey ... ouch ouch! A 375 H&H is a sweet gun, I wouldnt change yours, must've been mid life crisis or something lol ...

Here's a couple more pictures but my photography (particulary lighting) leaves much to be desired.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Regards,

Chuck
Posted By: g5m Re: I sure do like my CZ - 07/12/09
Originally Posted by JS_LaCourse
For dealing with the factory stock, here is a pretty good representation of what can be done with a little work:

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9411043/m/688109605?r=523105705#523105705

Thanks for that link. Beautiful work there.
Posted By: JS_LaCourse Re: I sure do like my CZ - 07/15/09
Hey Heeler,

I was looking back through this thread and wondering how you are making out with the old H&H? a couple of things have been taught to me and I'll share them as they relate to your photo:

I was taught to place my non-trigger hand fore of the sticks and to hold the forestock there. You hand is behind the sticks and the muzzle may be jumping a bit on you.

Second, you look like you may be a tall guy (or the sticks are just too short), but your stance makes it look like you are bracing big time against the recoil impulse of the rifle. with your hips as a fulcrum it all goes to your shoulder. instead, stand a little taller, but take your lead foot (left one for you) and move it so it is about at a 45 degree angle to the line of fire. I find this to be a much more comfortable position and lends itself to a bit more rocking with the recoil rather than sucking it all up.

curious to get your feedback!
Posted By: Heeler Re: I sure do like my CZ - 07/16/09
JS,
I'm loving the H&H!!!!!!!!!!! I'm probably gonna use it for whitetail hunting this year also.

I've got the Leupy VXII 3x9-40 on it now and dialed in. The rifle will shoot better than I will. I've put about 3 boxes through it so far.

I'm 6'2". That was the first time shooting the rifle so I wasn't for sure how recoil would be, so that's why I was bracing like so. I'll try holding the fore end fore of the sticks this weekend and see how that works for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

When shooting now, I do stand taller (sitting, kneeling or true standing). I haven't noticed a lot of muzzle jump at all. Even on the bench with nothing holding down the front end. Maybe becuase it's pretty heavy???

As far as stance, do you mean I should take my lead foot and move it to the left until I'm at a 45 degree angle with the line of fire?

Brad
Posted By: JS_LaCourse Re: I sure do like my CZ - 07/16/09
yup, so you are open to the line of fire.

stand with your feet together like normal. take a 1/2 step forward with your left foot. now slide it over until the line from toe to toe makes a 45 degree angle to your beginning stance. it gives me more "roll" to the recoil impulse.

let us know!
Posted By: Heeler Re: I sure do like my CZ - 07/26/09
JS,
Just thought I'd give a quick update. Went shooting again this evening. Stood taller (pretty well straight), moved left foot as you indicated, and held fore-end in front of sticks. Results?

I was 6 of 7 at 100 yards on popping 20 oz water filled soda bottles.
Posted By: JS_LaCourse Re: I sure do like my CZ - 07/26/09
atta boy! I am expecting my CZ back from Dennis Olson soon and will have to get some photos up. That sounds like pretty good shooting to me!
Posted By: Heeler Re: I sure do like my CZ - 07/26/09
Thanks, I was pretty happy with that myself. What's really fun was last weekend at 200 yards making a gallon milk jug explode. HaHa

Well, I'm hoping to have some good photos of it and my animals after going over to RSA here in 5 weeks.

I do think I'm gonna have the CZ custom shop "clean up" the trigger a little bit after I get back. Get some of the slack out, etc. Would do it now, but feel it's too close to trip time.
Posted By: JS_LaCourse Re: I sure do like my CZ - 07/26/09
Dennis Olson. Ridiculously short turn around time.

Posted By: JS_LaCourse Re: I sure do like my CZ - 08/01/09
Heeler,

I'll have some pics this week for you I think of my Olson CZ.
© 24hourcampfire