Home
I have a 460 weatherby mag that seared the screws on the rear windage adjustable scope base after 10 shots. These bases were on this rifle when I bought it. The gun was unfired when I bought it. Would double dovetails be the answer? Anyone ever break double dovetails? I want rings and bases to be "pretty" gloss. If this were a tactical rifle I would have picatinny rail and rings.
I have never broke DD's or heard of anyone breaking em.
I use them exclusively.....I think they will do what you want.
Part # for the base is (assuming its a Weatherby Mark V) 51705
eurosport,

I think I welcomed you, but just in case.... Welcome to the 'fire.

On my .375-.416 I had the base screw holes drilled and tapped to a larger size. I don't like to be on the edge of disaster.

I like the Weaver style bases and use Burris Signature rings. That way I never get rings marks and can literally sight it is using the inserts. Very tedious, but for me it is fun.
It is not too uncommon to break those 6/48 screws, the recoil will just shear them off with the ultra big bores..The best thing to do is solder them on or drill and tap them for the larger 8/40 screws and glass the screws in..To get the glassed screws out I use a small butane torch that you can find in kitchen good stores, it has a small flame and you pinpoint the screw and screw it out when hot..

I actually prefer to use a receiver sight of standard V iron sights on those big guns as not only do they trash bases, they usually trash a scope within 250 rounds.
Ringman gives good council here. I would recommend Talleys (those w/ two screws at the top, non-detachable style w/ big Torx screw instead of levers, otherwise same as detachable). These are hell-for-stout. Combined with bigger screws, I can't imagine anything better.

The DDs may be fine as well, no flies on them. Would similarly recommend larger screws for the bases. The standard Leupold bases w/ windage screws are bad business, especially w/ heavy kickers.
I have reviewed several sets of mounts on my .460. The current set of Leupold have been on the rifle since 1995 and have never been an issue.

I do things a little differently than most, I use Araldite and do not apply it to the screws as most do, I actually apply it to the base itself in a sparing amount so it does not encroach on the screw holes.

In all my testing of the big Weatherby's, .416's and .458's, I have found this to be successful whether mounting a rather light 1-4 Leupold or a heavy 30mm Tasco Titan scope.

As Ray points out, applying heat will release the adhesive and instead of using a flame as recommended, I use a simple hair dryer and it works very well.

JW
I use the glass on both the mount bases and screws..The glass makes for a perfect fit and fills any voids that may be there besides the adhesive effect that strengthens the whole set up. The 8/40 screws being the main change.
Originally Posted by atkinson
I use the glass on both the mount bases and screws..The glass makes for a perfect fit and fills any voids that may be there besides the adhesive effect that strengthens the whole set up. The 8/40 screws being the main change.

Very True. I do the same for the same.

JW
© 24hourcampfire