Home
Posted By: Romo Tell me about 375 RUG - 10/26/09
I've been searching high and low for Winchester Mod 70 375 H&H in left hand but they just ain't out there. Missed a custom Win Mod 70 375 H&H LH about a year ago and I've been kicking myself ever since.

Just curious, what's everyone's thoughts on the 375 RUG?

Thanks.
Posted By: Jesse Jaymes Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 10/26/09
Been looking for one to fondle all the way from El Paso, TX to Colville, WA. Haven't run across one yet. I did find a few of both the African and Alaskan in righty. I am pretty impressed with the Hawkeyes fit and feel. I am waiting on the proceeds from a home sale and I am going to grab an African.

I never liked the Limited Edition stainless 20" barreled models, but after handling the Alaskan, I may pony up the super premium prices for the stainless.

Think it's a nice package
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 10/26/09
I had a LH Win 70 375 H&H , A LH Rem 700 375 H&H .
I now have a LH Ruger 20" 375 Ruger I prefer it to the other
375 H&H I used to own.
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 10/26/09
I sold my Rem 700 375HH (8.75lbs) a while ago and then came across a Win 70 Classic Sporter in 300WM. I recently had it rebarreled to 375Rug. The Win 70 weighs in at 9 pounds 2 ounces with scope, mounts, rings and 3 rounds. I used a Shaw barrel since I got it dirt cheap. I am still in the work up stages. It shoots factory ammo to about an inch. I need to try some handloads with RE15 and WW760 using the 270gr Hornady SPRP now that I have some brass to reload

Recoil between the two is different but that could be due to the different stocks. To me, the 375HH was a slower shove and a lot of muzzle rise. The 375Rug seems quicker but doesn't have as much muzzle rise. Neither is untolerabe.

If I like the round, and so far I do, I am planning to go a bit fancier than what I currently have. My plan is to use a nicer walnut stock, plus a McMillan, and get a better barrel with sights and have the metal done with Cerokote.

I have one more range session then I have to get a feeding problem fixed. The round on the left side don't want to stay down. Doing a little research, the conversion rarely has feeding issues. I have been unlucky in that department lately. cry

RH
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 10/26/09
I love mine. Lefty stainless 20 inch barrel with iron sights now wearing a McMillan stock and just ordered a fiber optic bead for the front sight from NECG's.

Picked it up at Buds Guns earlier this year for just over $600. One thing I noticed is it doesnt like to feed slow. If I work the action easily sometimes the second round will stutter. Doesnt happen if the bolt is cycled fast.
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 10/26/09
Originally Posted by Romo

Just curious, what's everyone's thoughts on the 375 RUG?

Thanks.
..............I`ve owned a 375 Ruger Alaskan (matte) for about a year and a half now and can only state my experience with the Alaskan version. I have however fired the African. What makes the 375 Ruger highly successful is not just the cartridge alone, it is also the rifle too. So I will comment on both.

My most accurate reloads are moa and less right from the box.

Because of its larger case capacity, a 375 Ruger from out of a 20" barrel will equal 25" 375 H&H velocities (at least with my rifle). From the longer 23" African version even more of a velocity bonus over the 375 H&H.

Rifle and the cartridge is a flawless feeder.

The Alaskan`s Hogue stock (which btw many dislike and is "not" for all), helps reduce felt recoil, is great for larger and longer hands because of its larger pistol grip and forend, is all weather with its grippy eraser and no slip feel, is able to take punishment in harsh weather, and unlike wood stocks, it is oblivious to scratches and dings. The rifle does not need to be babied while on any hunt!

The action from the box is smooth and gets even smoother with more use.

The LC6 trigger is around 4# with little to no creep. I personally wouldn`t want less of a trigger pull on a DGR.

Compared to many other 375 H&H rifles, you can get a 375 Ruger Hawkeye at a more reasonable price.

Hornady is making progress getting their DGR factory ammo, which includes the 375 Ruger, marketed to all pertinent areas in Africa and to other worldwide markets.

If you are more of a "classic" or the "traditional" type of person, who needs to equate those terms in the ownership of a 375 rifle cartridge, the 375 Ruger is not for you.

A few will say that the 375 H&H is more of a proven cartridge. I hope so, as it has had about a 95 year head start on the Ruger round. With today`s modern technology, it only takes a short time to know whether a cartridge will do what is was designed for or not. The 375 Ruger needs to prove nothing further, as Hornady has already and carefully, did its design homework on this round. It already has been proven time and time again. Shoots the same bullets as the H&H!!!

Even though he loves the 375 H&H, Boddington himself called the 375 Ruger development (paraphrasing); "the most significant new cartridge development of the modern era."

If you would like very good and detailed reading on the 375 Ruger in the African version, go to "gunblast.com",,,,,click onto "archives" and then scroll down to 2/6/07. You will also find some quite telling reloading data and chrony results within that article by Jeff Quinn.

375 H&H or 375 Ruger???..........Happy shootin either way!
Posted By: 3sixbits Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 10/26/09
I have heard they are so good that they will grow hair on other wise bald men.

I have also heard they will do everything that and H&H will do.

I don't have any lack of H&H's here at home so I have not needed to try one.
I have built one in .375 Ruger and another in the .416 Ruger before Ruger made them, it seemed the most natural thing to do when the 375 first came out..

I liked them both very well indeed, and I duplicated the 375 H&H and the .416 Rem. with them..An outstanding cartridge IMO and its future looks great..

I probably won't ever buy one as I have a super nice English rifle in a 375 H&H and about a simi truck load of loaded ammo, bullets and brass..Unless I sell my English rifle, which has been known to happen, I can't seem to keep the good ones~! smile smile
Posted By: ruger375 Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 10/26/09
You re lucky about being lefty .... there is a small batch of stainless laminated 20" in 375 ruger only made for lefty. pretty sure you can find one if this is what you re looking for ...

as you can imagine i got one even unfired for now and the handle is perfect but i was able to handle and shoot an alaskan RH with the hogue stock and like it too but laminated is better on my opinion especially LH side ...
Posted By: Wrongside Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 10/27/09
I'll add my voice to the LHer's raving on the LH SS Ruger Hawkeyes in .375... Mine is my favorite rifle by a mile. Should be even better when the VXIII 1.5-5x20 I have on the way, gets here.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 10/27/09
Wrongside!..........Not to get off the thread subject, but you`ll really like the 1.5-5x20 VX111 on that rifle.

The same scope in the #4 reticle sits on my Alaskan!

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: 3sixbits Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 10/27/09
What happens with the pictures? you guys get the negatives reversed. The bolt handle is on the wrong side.
Originally Posted by 3sixbits
What happens with the pictures? you guys get the negatives reversed. The bolt handle is on the wrong side.

Hardyhar har har!! wink smile
Originally Posted by bigsqueeze
Wrongside!..........Not to get off the thread subject, but you`ll really like the 1.5-5x20 VX111 on that rifle.

The same scope in the #4 reticle sits on my Alaskan!

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

Good to know, bigsqueeze. Mine just has a regular duplex. But the price was right and it came with the Leupold flip-ups...
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 10/27/09
Am in the process of changing out the front bead on mine to one offered by NECG which is a red fiber optic.
Also going with the Leupold 2.5x8 as I would feel comfortable taking a 300 yard shot if I had no other choice.
Either scope is a great choice
Posted By: ruger375 Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 10/27/09
Originally Posted by Wrongside

Hardyhar har har!! wink smile

first time so many RH hunters want what the LH have ...!!!!!
Posted By: kk alaska Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 10/28/09
Shot my LH 375 Ruger today with 270 Grain Hornady Spire points 74 Gr of RL 15 under 1". They were the worst shooting bullets in my test so far before I increased powder charge 2 gr. I also to reduce my powder funnel neck to fit the 375 Ruger case. Also have a 1.5 X 5 Leupold , sent my Med Rings back to Ruger and exchanged them for low rings.
Posted By: 3sixbits Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 10/28/09
I hate to be the one to have to tell you folks this, but a lot of the old 1.5x5 Leupold's have been changed out on .375H&H's have been replaced with the newer 1.75x6 Leupold's. I think the reason is older eyes?
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 10/28/09
I hate to be the one to have to tell you folks this, but a lot of the old 1.5x5 Leupold's have been changed out on .375H&H's have been replaced with the newer 1.75x6 Leupold's. I think the reason is older eyes?

Would have to disagree with you. The 1.5x5 is a lot easier to mount since it is a straight tube. I am 56 and see zero reason to go with the 1.75x6 scope. Bet ya couldnt even tell if a scope was set at 5 or 6 x. I doubt if I could.
The 2.5x8 would be a much better choice for me on a .375. Now on something like a Lott I would go with the 1.5x5. But to each there own:)
So 3sixbits you think 6X is better than 5x and that 1x justifies spending all those hard earned bucks to change scopes? smile smile I'm gonna keep my 1.5x5s and if need be I'll have my perscription on my glasses changed! smile besides I demand a 20 MM objective lens on a DG rifle scope.
Posted By: 3sixbits Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 10/28/09
Originally Posted by atkinson
So 3sixbits you think 6X is better than 5x and that 1x justifies spending all those hard earned bucks to change scopes? smile smile I'm gonna keep my 1.5x5s and if need be I'll have my perscription on my glasses changed! smile besides I demand a 20 MM objective lens on a DG rifle scope.

Do I think? Has nothing to do with me, I'm only reporting what I have seen happening in the last few years where I'm at here in Alaska, that covers a lot of folks in Fairbanks also.

As a little aside, the 1.5x5 is not 1.5x5 it is I believe 1.2x4.2 at least since they have been on the market.

Seems like a huge lack of reading comprehension on the Internet.
Posted By: SteveO Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 10/29/09
Ray,

Another neophyte question from me...Why is the 20mm objective better for a DG rifle than the 32 or 40 for that matter?
In the hunting camps that I am affiliated with I have noticed that the more that sticks out of that front ring, the more likely that the zero can be knocked off from one degree to another...

Some of those big scopes just never seem to stay sighted in after a rough day of bouncing around in the bakkie or in a saddle scabbard...

Based on that I did some "wack tests", sighted the gun in on a target then gave it a big wack on the objective lens with the palm of my hand, and sure enough the the bigger scopes moved POI and the bigger the scope the more it moved. mostly we are talking about one to as much as 4 inches inches per wack..but to me that is sugnificant as I may need to stick a bullet between somethings eyes...The 20 mm objective protrudes only an inch and is almost impossible to knock out of zero.
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 10/29/09
Originally Posted by SteveO
Ray,

Another neophyte question from me...Why is the 20mm objective better for a DG rifle than the 32 or 40 for that matter?
................And along with what Ray just posted, straight tubed scopes are more associated with a DGRs, or at least I associate them more with DGRs. Although they can be used and many do, DGRs don`t need the higher variables such as 2x7s, 2.5x8s, 3x9s and so on for hunting use.

For DGRs imho, the 1" straight tubers look better, are lighter, more compact, faster and obviously have the lower profile. I use the 1.5-5x20 VX111 #4 on my 375 Ruger Alaskan, which is certainly enough magnification for any non dangerous game I`d use that rifle for out to 400 yards or even a little further.

At least in my thinking, why have a belled objectived scope with extra magnification when it is not needed!!!
Posted By: 3sixbits Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 10/29/09
In the hunting camps that I am affiliated with I have noticed that the more that sticks out of that front ring, the more likely that the zero can be knocked off from one degree to another...

Some of those big scopes just never seem to stay sighted in after a rough day of bouncing around in the bakkie or in a saddle scabbard...

Based on that I did some "wack tests", sighted the gun in on a target then gave it a big wack on the objective lens with the palm of my hand, and sure enough the the bigger scopes moved POI and the bigger the scope the more it moved. mostly we are talking about one to as much as 4 inches inches per wack..but to me that is sugnificant as I may need to stick a bullet between somethings eyes...The 20 mm objective protrudes only an inch and is almost impossible to knock out of zero.

This maybe a totally new concept for many on the fire, if you worry about your scope, why carry the darn thing on a rifle? Has anyone ever heard of a rifle that has just metalic sights on it? This is a reason for having the same exact rifle as your others that only sports iron.
Posted By: SteveO Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 10/30/09
Very good info, thanks.
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 10/30/09

Has anyone ever heard of a rifle that has just metalic sights on it?
.........Yep! But there are a few DGR cartridges out there, which when scoped on DGR rifles, have far better long range capabilities and accuracy on game and other targets vs ones that are not scoped even when using the same cartridges.

That`s why most scope their DGRs including me. Nevertheless, a 20mm straight tubed scope has just a little less chance to get knocked around due to its smaller objective size and lower profile.

I would be very hard pressed to consistently nail one gallon milk cartons filled with water using my 375 Ruger only with iron sites. However with my 1.5-5x20, VX111, I have yet to miss.

For any game beyond 75-90 yards, dangerous or otherwise, it would be much better imo using a scope as opposed to using only iron sites.

Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 10/30/09
Milk cartons at 300 yards!!
Posted By: krummarine Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/06/09
I just shot my 375 Alaskan this week; she comes at you hard, but not so much that you wouldn't want her to do it again!!!

Where can I get a laminated stock for mine?

Posted By: ruger375 Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/07/09
change the side of the bolt ...!!!
I haven't tried it myself but suspect the MKII LA laminated stock should fit. Fiberglass bedding and possibly crossbolt(s) installation make sense IMO.
Posted By: welding Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/07/09
I really like my 375 Alaskan.

With Hornady 300 grain ammo it was shooting 3 shot groups of about 1 1/2" - 1 3/4" at 200 yards. I was using a 3-9x Trijicon Accupoint.

It put 6 shots in 2 5/8" at 200 yards. I pulled the 4th shot or the group would have been right at MOA.... I know though, flyers DO count.

The recoil is not bad at the shoulder. The rifle does come up into the face a little upon recoil, but nothing horrible at all.

I really like the feel and recoil absorption / dissapation of the stock.

Trigger weight is good, but has the typical Ruger creep which I see no reason for in 2009. Remington has been providing better triggers for decades.

My safety movement was horribly stiff. I don't think it was ever even fit to the trigger at the factory... just installed and shipped. I have handled a couple others that were the same. I would not order a Ruger Hawkeye of any kind. I like them, but would only buy if I could handle and inspect the individual gun first to check the workmanship quality... of course I feel this way about most guns from most manufacturers. Many ship with glaring problems.
Posted By: bigjedd Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/15/09
With the smaller 20 mm objective lens you also get a wider field of view which is most important on a DGR.

On my Hawkeye African I am using a 1.5 x 4 leupold and find it quick to find the target keeping both eyes open when sighting. I doubt if any dangerous game will need any extra scope power at longer range than what can be covered with the 4 power and bullet selection.

If the game was always at longer range then it isnt in my mind what I associate the tag dangerous game and it could be covered by a mid bore calibre ie .300,.338,.35 with correspondingly more powerfull scopes where a more deliberate shot can be taken.

In my Ruger I have found 270gr Accubonds respond well for lighter game animals and 300gr woodleighs both solid and soft nose work well also.

I think the 375 with the accubonds would be a good choice for african plains game and the woodleighs would be a good backup for heavier game if they were on the hit list.
Posted By: utah708 Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/15/09
Originally Posted by bigjedd
With the smaller 20 mm objective lens you also get a wider field of view...

This would seem to defy logic.
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/15/09
Originally Posted by utah708
With the smaller 20 mm objective lens you also get a wider field of view...

This would seem to defy logic.
............Yeah! But it`s true. The 1-4x20 VX11 and the 1.5-5x20 VX111 have larger FOVs than do the 3x9 scopes with larger objectives.

The 1.5-5x20 VX111 is on my 375 Ruger Alaskan. FOV is 66' on the low end, and 20 something (I forgot exactly) feet on the high end.
Posted By: bigjedd Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/15/09
Just for comparison purpose. I went to Leupolds sight and got the following information.
Taken at 100 yds with the lowest magnification figure first the field of view for various models in feet are as follows:-

VX11 1x4x20 = 75 - 28.5
VX11 3x9x40 = 32.3 - 14.00
VX111 1.5x5x20 = 68 - 23.8
VX111 1.75x6x32 = 51.4 - 19.1
VX111 2.5x8x36 = 37.5 - 13.7
VX111 3.5x10x40 = 29.8 - 11.00

As can be seen from these figures higher power on a DGR isnt always a good thing especially when the Dangerous game is up close and nasty. The more field of view the better chance of seeing the animal before it gets you. The lower power scopes are ideal on the 375 ruger for close in work but I conceede that if you are hunting game at longer ranges then I would suggest a stronger scope but only if the longer ranges was where you are doing most of your hunting.

I know of a hunter who has 2 scopes both sighted for different loads one a close in load and the other a long range load. He uses leupold quick release mounts so if he is hunting close in game he use one scope then changes to the other scope if hunting longer range stuff.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/15/09
Is it worth setting back the barrel of a 375 H&H and having it rechambered for 375 Rug? Is this even feasible? What about bolt face diameters between the 375s?
Posted By: utah708 Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/15/09
bigjedd--

As the FOV date from Leupold show, the greater field of view comes from the lower magnification, not from the 20 mm objective lens.

WiFowler--
I can't see any reason to set back an H&H for a Ruger because you already have an action set up to use the longer case.
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/15/09
but I conceede that if you are hunting game at longer ranges then I would suggest a stronger scope but only if the longer ranges was where you are doing most of your hunting.

I know of a hunter who has 2 scopes both sighted for different loads one a close in load and the other a long range load. He uses leupold quick release mounts so if he is hunting close in game he use one scope then changes to the other scope if hunting longer range stuff.
...........Set on the highest power of 5x (really a 4.5x), the 1.5-5x20 VX111 has enough magnification (for my eyes anyway) at 400-500 yards for any deer sized animal and larger. One gallon milk cartons are a piece of cake @ 300 yards. That magnification range fills the bill wonderfully for any close up work offering a wide FOV and longer ranged shots as well. No need to do any scope switching to match the circumstances. Simply turn the dial.
I'm one of those that mounted a 1.75-6x32 on my Alaskan and I'm happy I did. My first trip to AK with the 375 Ruger was with an African, now re-bored to the 404-375 Ruger wildcat. But I wanted SS for subsequent trips to the wet places, so the Alaskan with the 32 mm objective scope, a good buy I found at Cabela's bargain cave.

Ed Stevenson, my outfitter, pointed out that it's easier to clear snow, water, dirt, etc. from a tube larger than 1", and I found out he's right. Just so happens the only shot I could get at a black bear in the open on my last trip to AK was at more than 300 yds. and the 6x helped. Probably would have had the same outcome with the 5x, but why not use a little more magnification if you have it along? smile
Posted By: BCBrian Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/16/09
I have heard they are so good that they will grow hair on other wise bald men.

I have also heard they will do everything that and H&H will do.

I don't have any lack of H&H's here at home so I have not needed to try one.

Damn! I wished I'd know that about the Ruger round - before I bought my 375 H&H! frown
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BCBrian Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/16/09
Just for comparison purpose. I went to Leupolds sight and got the following information.
Taken at 100 yds with the lowest magnification figure first the field of view for various models in feet are as follows:-

VX11 1x4x20 = 75 - 28.5
VX11 3x9x40 = 32.3 - 14.00
VX111 1.5x5x20 = 68 - 23.8
VX111 1.75x6x32 = 51.4 - 19.1
VX111 2.5x8x36 = 37.5 - 13.7
VX111 3.5x10x40 = 29.8 - 11.00

As can be seen from these figures higher power on a DGR isnt always a good thing especially when the Dangerous game is up close and nasty. The more field of view the better chance of seeing the animal before it gets you. The lower power scopes are ideal on the 375 ruger for close in work but I conceede that if you are hunting game at longer ranges then I would suggest a stronger scope but only if the longer ranges was where you are doing most of your hunting.

Then again, you could just look at buying one Swarovski Z6 - instead of owning two different scopes.

Mine is a 1.7 X 10.
100 yard field of view at 1.7 power is a massive 75.6 ft.
Even cranked up to 10 power it's still got 12.6 feet field of view.

Put in perspective - it has a wider field of view than a 1X4 power Leupold at the low end (even while magnifying at 1.7 power) - and it has a wider field of view than the Leupold 3.5X10 has at the high end - while sharing the same maximum power.

Also, while sharing the same magnification at the top end as the 3.5X10 Leupold, it has almost three times the field of view than the Leupold scope has, when those scopes are set at their lowest settings.

I agree that field-of-view is a pretty important thing to have in a DGR. In fact - you probably can't have too much.

Having a great reputation for quality and reliability and having great optical qualities - is just icing on the cake!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: oldman1942 Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/16/09
The 375 Ruger will do nothing a 375 H&H cannot except fit in a shorter action. There is some argument as to duplicating 375 H&H performance with Ruger reloads.

Will it be around in 90+ years? Do I care? (as I won't).

H&H has been designing cartridges and building rifles a lot longer than Ruger for use in really nasty places. Does that matter?

Finally H&Hs are "cool", you're handling history.
(but I just bought a Benelli R 1 in 270 WSM, so I'm no purist)

244, 300, 375 & 400.... H&Hs all

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/16/09
Originally Posted by oldman1942
The 375 Ruger will do nothing a 375 H&H cannot except fit in a shorter action. There is some argument as to duplicating 375 H&H performance with Ruger reloads.

Will it be around in 90+ years? Do I care? (as I won't).

H&H has been designing cartridges and building rifles a lot longer than Ruger for use in really nasty places. Does that matter?

Finally H&Hs are "cool", you're handling history.
(but I just bought a Benelli R 1 in 270 WSM, so I'm no purist)

244, 300, 375 & 400.... H&Hs all

[Linked Image]
.............Neither the 375 H&H or the 375 Ruger will out do the other when it comes to killing power. So that is not an issue. Ruger and Hornady did not develop the 375 Ruger as a better killing cartridge than the 375 H&H.

The 375 Ruger was developed to offer a shorter 30-06 length action, in a shorter OAL rifle package, that does in fact (with reloads) duplicate 24" and 25" barreled 375 H&H ballistics. No gimmicks, no hype, just a plain cold hard fact. The 375 Ruger casing holds more powder. And if given the "same" barrel lengths for both, there is no way any 375 H&H rifle could equal the 375 Ruger in the velocity dept given the same bullet weights. It`s not just the Ruger cartridge which is so appealing. It is the rifles even more so. A 40.75" OAL rifle which offers the same performance as a rifle 5" or 6" longer, has great appeal. So in lieu of handling history and the emotional nostalgia, I`ll simply take a more modern, a better and faster handling 21st century rifle with the same ballistic performance.

Yep! The 375 H&H has been around for nearly 100 years!....Yep! The 375 H&H has killed more game than any 375 in history. I hope so, as it had a 92 year head start! However, the 375 Ruger doesn`t need to be proven any further and if so, in what way? It already has been proven via all the testing and R&D by Hornady and Ruger prior to its intro, via modern design technology and used extensively in the field on game. It shoots the same bullets as the H&H and is just as accurate if not more so. So what`s left to prove?

I once owned a 375 H&H, but I didn`t consider myself handling history or from some other historical perspective. Its only a rifle cartridge, not the original Mona Lisa, a Rembrandt painting, or original papers written by Lincoln, Washington or Jefferson, a rare collectors coin, an antique piece of furniture or vase, etc, which do have true historical value.

Here are some #s from my particular 20" Alaskan barrel which were taken from other refereneces, duplicated and worked up to, which "should" eliminate any arguments or debates, as to whether or not, the 375 Ruger is capable of duplicating longer barreled 375 H&H performance from the shorter barrels.

225 gr Horn SP,,79.8 gr RL-15,,@ 3016 fps. 20" load data e/mailed from Hornady showed 79.5 gr @ 3000 fps.
270 gr Horn SP,,87.0 gr H-4350,@.2808 fps. see "gunblast.com".."archives"..2/6/07.
2875 fps from a 23" African test rifle by
Jeff Quinn.

The above loads grouped 1.15" OD and less. (3 shot). I have other reloads which are moa and less.

Yes! The 375 H&H will do anything on game that the 375 Ruger can do. That is not the issue! What the 375 Ruger offers, which the 375 H&H cannot offer, is a faster, better handling and shorter OAL rifle package, that does equal or slightly better the ballistics of the longer H&H rifle.

The 375 Ruger`s popularity is on-going and is continuing to grow rapidly. No other round in history has come so far in such a short period of time. (A Boddington paraphrase, not mine).

So to you classic, nostalgic and historical 375 H&H owners (incl Oldman1942). Keep on using your fingers to plug the holes of the dam walls which are holding back the waters of 375 Ruger popularity. Little by little, the leaks will keep gettin bigger every day.

Posted By: bigjedd Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/16/09
BCBrian I agree with you that the z6 swarovski is a better scope but down under in Oz the price we pay for the Swarovski would allow me to buy 2 leupolds and mounts and give me change to buy a beer or 2. Cost plays a big part in what we do in OZ.

Bigsqueeze couldnt agree more with your thoughts on the 375 ruger but you neglected to state that the one big advantage the 375 ruger does have is any 30/06 length action can be rebarreled to 375 ruger at a relative cheap priceand they dont need a lot of work on the guide rails to make them work. Magnum length actions are harder to come by and will cost as much as a new rifle. Already we are seeing old mausers being reborn into useable semi custom rifles and even of late have seen some 416Rugers about. These guys now have a true magnum performance from their old rifles that they would never have been able to afford in the bigger magnum actions. The exception to this is the CZ 550 in 458win and 458lott which we can get over here for around $1500 Aus dollars.
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/16/09
Those lefty Ruger 375's with the grey laminates are too nice!How come they don't make them for righties? smile

Bigsqueeze couldnt agree more with your thoughts on the 375 ruger but you neglected to state that the one big advantage the 375 ruger does have is any 30/06 length action can be rebarreled to 375 ruger at a relative cheap priceand they dont need a lot of work on the guide rails to make them work. Magnum length actions are harder to come by and will cost as much as a new rifle. Already we are seeing old mausers being reborn into useable semi custom rifles and even of late have seen some 416Rugers about. These guys now have a true magnum performance from their old rifles that they would never have been able to afford in the bigger magnum actions. The exception to this is the CZ 550 in 458win and 458lott which we can get over here for around $1500 Aus dollars.
..................Why hells bells!!!!! I forgot something!! That point I didn`t even think of!! Just a little more icing on the 375 Ruger cake!!!!

Another little tid bit is, that the shorter `06 length action may allow for more compact, shorter mounting tube length scopes, without necessarily having to use those (ugly azz) off-setting scope rings.

I`ll go even further and state that the 375 Ruger is a more stout, a more muscular, a better looking cartridge and it is non-belted.
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/16/09
...one big advantage the 375 ruger does have is any 30/06 length action can be rebarreled to 375 ruger at a relative cheap price and they dont need a lot of work on the guide rails to make them work.

That is exctly what I did with a Win70 300WM. It is now a 375Rug. The only feeding "issue" was tweaking the top of the mag box. The feeding rails are untouched. He is some eye candy for you...brought to you via Redneck.

[Linked Image]

RH
Originally Posted by himmelrr
...one big advantage the 375 ruger does have is any 30/06 length action can be rebarreled to 375 ruger at a relative cheap price and they dont need a lot of work on the guide rails to make them work.

That is exctly what I did with a Win70 300WM. It is now a 375Rug. The only feeding "issue" was tweaking the top of the mag box. The feeding rails are untouched. He is some eye candy for you...brought to you via Redneck.

[Linked Image]

RH
....................VERY GOOD!.............And, you will win "ALL" the speed contests vs the H&H too!!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/16/09
The 375 Ruger is a great cartridge,given its' origins which are sorta "old",and not exactly spot news.It derives from the old 30 Newton,the first 300 magnum,and if people like Roy Weatherby had necked the Newton up and down, instead of the 300 H&H,we might not have belted mags today......that said I'd like to see more cartridges on the Ruger case.I think it's great!

And I hate to throw cold water on the glowing accolades,but we have to be realistic...the 375 Ruger does not really fit on a "shorter,lighter action",because many 375 H&H's are built on M70 actions, which are only longer in the magazine areas;the external dimensions of the actions,and he weight, are the same whether a M70 is made in 30/06,or is opened up to accept the H&H round.So,we can have the same action, from an external standpoint, for both cartridges.

Also, I could, tomorrow, take a Ruger action made for the 375 Ruger,give it to a skilled smith,and it would handle the 375H&H without a hitch...Dave Scovill did it with a Ruger 338,and last I knew from reading, Phil Shoemaker has had the rifle for awhile IIRC.

Fitting the 375 Ruger into a 30/06 action makes it easier for the factories to fit it in a standard action, which I suppose is good from a manufacturing standpoint, but it means little when it comes to qualifying all the "advantages" of the cartridge.But the cartridge exists for the same reason the 300 Win supplanted the 300H&H;not because it was "better" from a performance standpoint, but because it was more expedient to manufacture.Winchester did not have to do as much machining to the actions for the 300 Win..I suppose this is "good"....I've used both of those a lot...I cannot tell the difference.....

So I take a Ruger action,open the magazine and ejection port,thread on a light 375 barrel,and VOILA! I have exactly the same weight rifle, same performance(who cares about 50-75 fps?) in the same action....I might have to pull the bolt back a bit further.....big deal....guys like Harry Manners and Ralph Young did it for years,and they did not get trampled by elephants or eaten by Alaskan Brown Bear.

I have a 375H&H downstairs as light as a Ruger African or Ruger Alaskan (with a longer barrel).It was put together in the late 80's,on a Model 70 action.

I like the 375 Ruger;Ruger and Hornady did a great job with it;and it's good we get new cartridges to play with but there really isn't much new under the sun;and you gotta seperate the hype from the reality..... grin whistle
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/17/09
Originally Posted by BobinNH
I like the 375 Ruger;Ruger and Hornady did a great job with it;and it's good we get new cartridges to play with but there really isn't much new under the sun;and you gotta seperate the hype from the reality..... grin whistle
....................Well! I have the 20" tubed 40.75" Alaskan in my gun case, which came right off the dealer racks. There were no action alterations or any other alterations. It does exactly what it was intended to do, which is, to equal or exceed longer tubed H&H ballistics,,AS IS,,with no inconvenience or added expenses in additional modifications..................No hype there!..........All reality!
Posted By: 458Win Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/17/09
I've been packing both calibers now for a few years and am enthused about the 375 Ruger as ever. IT IS WHAT THE 375 H&H SHOULD HAVE BEEN.

However I still like my H&H rifles and have discovered one advantage of the older round. due to it's taper it is possible to fit one more round down on some rifles my M-70 classic - after I replaced the bent magazine spring - will hold 5 down ! the same rifle only holds 3 Ruger rounds.
Posted By: bigsqueeze Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/17/09
[quote=458Win]I've been packing both calibers now for a few years and am enthused about the 375 Ruger as ever. IT IS WHAT THE 375 H&H SHOULD HAVE BEEN.quote]...............That was funny!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/17/09
Originally Posted by 458Win
I've been packing both calibers now for a few years and am enthused about the 375 Ruger as ever. IT IS WHAT THE 375 H&H SHOULD HAVE BEEN.

However I still like my H&H rifles and have discovered one advantage of the older round. due to it's taper it is possible to fit one more round down on some rifles my M-70 classic - after I replaced the bent magazine spring - will hold 5 down ! the same rifle only holds 3 Ruger rounds.

Phil: Intellectually, I'll bow in the face of superior experience grin....but I'm still not getting rid of my M70 375's....especially the one in the Brown Precision that weighs just 8 1/4 scoped,about the same as a 375 Ruger African that I had.

My pre 64's take 4 down,and a 5th up the spout, if I depress the extractor to slip over the rim of the last cartridge; ditto a M70 Classic that has been slightly modified.

BTW,that M70 with the Legend stock and peep sight that I have seen pictured with one of your articles...is it yours? What is it chambered for? Nice rifle!

Posted By: LeRoy Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/18/09
Phil....
did I not see a review by you of a "drop mag" type bottom metal for the Ruger?
Cannot recall if there was one or two more rounds added?????
Can you give us an update?

Thanks,
LeRoy.
Posted By: BCBrian Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/18/09
I don't hunt with a guide, so - for me, alone in bear country - I'll take the two extra rounds in the magazine vs the 1% faster bullet speed every time.

Plus - I like a variety of rifle makes.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/18/09
I'll answer a few of your questions here.
First, I certainly don't recommend anyone who is happy with their 375 H&H to run off and trade it in. I certainly don't plan on getting rid of either of mine.

LeRoy -I did a short review of Wiebe's Sound Metal Products bottom metal for the 375 and the gunbuilder who was doing my FN 375 Ruger decided not to use it because it was a drop magazine and he/we wanted a slimmer, lighter rifle and was able to get the factory bottom to work. So now I have the dropbox resting with two other actions and am deciding whether to make another 375 or a 416 with it.

BobinNH - I have two M-70's in Legend stocks. One is a stainless classic 416 Rem and the other is a pre-64 with a stainless bbl in 9.3x62 with the Legend EDGE stock. It holds five down, weighs seven pounds and is the rifle I now carry the most.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/18/09
the other is a pre-64 with a stainless bbl in 9.3x62 with the Legend EDGE stock. It holds five down, weighs seven pounds and is the rifle I now carry the most.

(not to detract from the thread title)

Phil, what is your fav load with this rifle?

What barrel contour are you using?

After reading about the bullet test you did, how does 9.3 penetration compare to 30-06 220 NPs's?

If that really matters...
Posted By: 458Win Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/21/09
I am at somewhat of a disadvantage when someone asks me my loads as all my bigger bored rifles and loading data are in camp - where we don't have internet access - and when I am in town and can do this I don't often have exact data with me.

I will say my favorite load for the 9.3 is Nosler's factory loads with their 286 partitions. My reloads virtually duplicate them.
As for penetration , the difference between the 30-06/220, 9.3/286 and .375/300 (when using Partitions) is virtually identical and statistically insignificant.

Barrel contour on the 9.3 is the same as the Win factory 30-06.
Posted By: SU35 Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/21/09
Thank you very much, you answered my question.

Appreciate the feedback!
Posted By: BobinNH Re: Tell me about 375 RUG - 11/22/09
Thanks,Phil.The 9.3 seems to be gaining a lot of favor with a lot of people even over here today......it makes the most sense to me of any of the "over 30 cal" crowd on the 06-sized case.
© 24hourcampfire