Home
Posted By: Squire What about .375 H&H Encore? - 12/27/09
Just happened on your site tonight. Interesting stuff, especially the Big Bore threads.I am wanting a .375 H&H and was looking at an Encore rifle. Looks a bit funny but what about one with the flex tech stock in .375 H&H?

Another option is converting my Ruger #1 .270 to .375 H&H. Don't know what that would cost. I have a custom gun with some super fancy California walnut that I would love to keep.I would either sell it for another gun, rebarrel, or trade.
WELCOME to 24hrcf! Hope you enjoy your time here.

For plinking and goofing off, no problem with a SS 375. For hunting the kinds of game it was designed to topple, bad idea. Use the Ruger #1 or Encore in whatever caliber strikes your fancy for local grasschompers but for a 375 go get a model 70 or similar CRF bolt action rifle.
Squire: Welcome to the CF...listen to Safariman....he knows whereof he speaks wink
Posted By: Squire Re: What about .375 H&H Encore? - 12/28/09
Thanks Safariman and BobinNH,
With the exception of a double shotgun, I have never hunted with anything but a SS. And most of that is with a pistol. Then again I have never hunted anything that could kill me. Sounds like good advice.

Given that, there are a number of Savage 116FSS rifles in .375H&H available on Gunbroker for $600. It has controlled feed which I have read is good. Any thoughts on that? The only repeaters I have are for CAS. Or I might just use a .375 for goofing around and get a real gun should I develop the need. So many decisions.
Cheers,
Squire
Squire,
I wouldn't advise a .375 H&H in an Encore. Don't know how much the flex stock helps to reduce recoil but I had one with the regular synthetic stock and the recoil was fairly stout. I believe this is due to the geometry of the stock and I have read where others thought the same thing.
The #1 would be a much better choice IMO if you wish to stick with a single shot. The #1 can be reloaded quite rapidly due to the falling block design. The encore must be lowered from the shoulder to reload.
I would defer to safariman on choice of action for dangerous game but that is my two cents on the two single shots you mentioned.
The Encore has a lot of upward recoil. I've used one for many years as a muzzleloader and a turkey gun...I prefer bolt guns for centerfires, but that's just my preference.

I don't worry to much about recoil, but in the turkey gun config the Encore is an attention getter...I'd imagine the same would be true for the H&H. Sure is nice to carry turkey hunting though.

JCM
I have an Encore 375 H&H barrel by MGM that is very accurate. I use for Eland, Zebra etc that are bigger tougher etc, with Barnes X bullets and it is outstanding. Couldn't agree more that I would not deliberately select if as a primary buffalo rifle. Recoil is not that bad.
Here is the locatin to an interesting read on a 375 H&H Encore in action.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/breakfast.php

Posted By: jorgeI Re: What about .375 H&H Encore? - 12/29/09
Somebody please insert video of somebody puking: HERE
Encore in 375???noooooo! jorge
The Encore in 375 will not leave your kids w/o a Dad from recoil, but a CZ is a lot better choice if you plan to hunt anything that might take exception to being shot.
Posted By: Squire Re: What about .375 H&H Encore? - 01/06/10
Thanks everybody,
I didn't look back here for a few days thinking I would not see more responses. Sounds like a lot of good advice. I never thought the Encore was a comfortable rifle to shoot or look at. Checking out a Savage 116FSS in .375 H&H. Price is right, 3 shots and CRF. And it comes standard with rifle sights. For $600 it fits my budget. That should sound better to most of you although not super elegant. Can't afford elegant. Besides it's mostly for grass munchers in the US and goofing around.

JorgeI, I like your sig..
Cheers,
Squire
© 24hourcampfire