Home
I know this overlaps considerably with the 375 H&H thread, but I have some specific questions about how to load my new 375 Wby and did not want to highjack that thread.

I have a new Wby DGR in 375 Wby with the 24� barrel coming to me in the next couple of days. I am taking it to Alaska in September to hunt the game listed in the title. For reasons I won�t bore you with, I have six boxes of Wby factory 300gr NP ammo and two boxes of the Nosler 260gr Accubond ammo.

I don�t hand load, and won�t be able to pick that up before the hunt. So, my options are (i) 300gr NP @ appx. 2,735 fps MV; (ii) 260gr Accubond @ appx. 2,930fps MV; or (iii) have someone like Superior Ammo load me up just about anything I ask for.

First off, I wish there was a factory TSX available because I feel a bit more confident about their reliability than the NPs (I recognize that I might be wrong, but it is how I feel). Though, with a potential rare shot at wolf or wolverine at fairly-long range at issue, I also am less than enthralled by the very low B.C.s of the .375 TSXs (yes, I know why it doesn�t matter, but I think it does a little).

My main questions are: (i) Do the NPs perform significantly worse than the TSXs at 2,400fps-2,700 fps?; and (ii) Is it possible that the people who say that the Accubonds hold up as well as the NPs after impact are correct?

I only have hunted large game with TSXs and 12ga slugs to date (well, I actually hunted mule deer for one day when I lived in Colo. with NPs once, but never saw a deer that day). I like the performance of the TSXs, but have heard a lot of praise for the NPs beginning when I was a teenager in the mid-1980s. I also have heard a lot of criticism of the NP, but I have become comfortable with the idea of using NPs, especially in something as stout as a 300gr .375 bullet.

But, and there always is one, my guide tells me how a number of years ago, he shot a bear twice (after the client�s first hit) with 210gr NPs out of his 338 Win Mag. He says he still has both bullets, which he recovered, and which did not deform or open up at all. He doesn�t use them anymore. He has no axe to grind. I�m not bad-mouthing NPs (and, as it is, I�m leaning toward one of two Nosler products because of availability). But, would a 260gr Accubond open up more and yet still penetrate adequately? Would a hand-loaded 300gr Accubond or 300gr TSX be significantly better than either the factory-available options?

Does anyone have any experience with large Accubonds on large animals?

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments.
Learn to reload or get someone who REALLY knows what he is doing to load for you. 270gr TSX or TTSX is your huckleberry.

GREAT choice of calibers, BTW. In my opinion, THE BEST 375 round out there, bar none.

Lot of custom ammo loaders out there and it is not rocket science in any way. If you lived near here, or wanted to fly with your rifle here I would load them for you and help you get a load developed. Can't legally or practically do it outside of those parameters though.

Good luck!
Just another opinion, but I would shoot the Nosler Partition and never look back.

Sure, the Accubond is earning a big following. BUT, I have seen some purely pitifull performance when shooting Accubonds in smaller calibers. The lack of penetration and meat damage just turns me off.

I agree that the 270 TSX would be another good choice, that is what I shoot in my 375 H&H. However, you have a good supply of 300 grain Partitions and they WILL NOT let you down.

TTSXs, like Porsche, there is no substitute...jorge
Originally Posted by jorgeI
TTSXs, like Porsche, there is no substitute...jorge

Thanks for your comments guys.

jorge and safariman, I too like the TTSXs the best. The 225gr .338 ones are what I mostly shoot out of my 340 Wby. Though I want to get some of the new 265gr TTSXs with the B.C. of 0.575.

But ... they don't make TTSXs in the .375 caliber, unless I'm missing something. I would love a 270gr-300gr TTSX is one existed.

I assume with what's available out there, the 300gr NPs might be the best option. I was just surprised by my guide's experience. I thought the only criticism of the NPs was that they might open up too much--and that would less likely be a problem with a 2,735fps 300gr one. Maybe his experience was an aberration.
the accubond is a somewhat different animal in the 375 than the smaller calibers......the jacket is VERY heavy .

At any rate the 260 Accus have punched right thru the shoulders of 2 elk for me when driven out of my Weatherby in excess of 2900...they left small exits and are still going for all I know .

J Barness has written about seeing a Cape buff or 2 knocked off handily with the 260 Accus .

I wouldn't have the slightest qualm using either bullet on the stuff you mention . If anything , the heavy partition may be too tuff for the smaller stuff on your list .

FWIW , the 300gr partition ammo from Weatherby clocks an honest 2800 out of my rifle.....
Thanks for the info sdgunslinger. How long is the barrel on your rifle?
24 inch....it is a re-chambered M-70
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
24 inch....it is a re-chambered M-70

Interesting. I read somewhere that someone (reliable source, I know) chronoed the Wby 300gr NPs at about 2,735 fps out of his 24" Wby--so I was assuming mine would do the same. But I just got my first chrono and also lead sled in the mail yesterday, and I pick the rifle up today.

Were you shooting the 260 ABs out of Nosler factory loads or reloads? If the factory loads, what was the 2,900+ velocity you alluded to? Thanks again for your helpful info. I just ordered two boxes of the 260gr Nosler AB ammo and will compare them to the Wby 300gr NP loads when I shoot the rifle next week.

It's really hard to get that particular Nosler ammo right now because Nosler doesn't do back orders. I ordered some online a week ago, and the nice lady called me and said it wasn't really available and "available" statement on their website was incorrect. I asked her if she could find out when the ammo would be avilable again. Nice lady said she would check into it. This week, I noticed the website still said "available." I inquired by e-mail if that was correct. Nice lady's replacement e-mailed that there were then precisely two boxes available. I ordered them online. It now says "out of stock." So, if I want more, I will have to regularly check out the website.
Marine.....mine were reloads with Ramshot Big Game powder . I use fireformed W-W H&H cases .

I can get a good 3000 with Ramshot Hunter , but opted to hunt with the slightly lighter loads because they shoot to the exact same point of impact as my fireform loads with the 270gr Hornaday and IMR4064 .

Been awhile since I looked at the Nosler site , but weren't their factory loads at a spec of 3000 fps and 2800 fps respectively , for the 260 accus and the 300 partiions ?

I believe Weatherby also quotes 2800 for their 300gr partion loads , but an individual rifle may or may not chrono that fast...you will just have to try your rifle and see.....
Last BB I saw shot was killed(very dead)with a 300 gr Nosler Partition.I think it will work swell.

You may find that the AB's shoot close to same POI in your Weatherby;you could take those for the other stuff.You won't be doing any long range shooting at Brown bears...most guides work hard to get you close.

Onve in a while you hear stuff about Partitions not behaving, but it is rare and I have never seen it.
Barnes 270 TSX, Woodleigh 300
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
Marine.....mine were reloads with Ramshot Big Game powder . I use fireformed W-W H&H cases .

I can get a good 3000 with Ramshot Hunter , but opted to hunt with the slightly lighter loads because they shoot to the exact same point of impact as my fireform loads with the 270gr Hornaday and IMR4064 .

Been awhile since I looked at the Nosler site , but weren't their factory loads at a spec of 3000 fps and 2800 fps respectively , for the 260 accus and the 300 partiions ?

I believe Weatherby also quotes 2800 for their 300gr partion loads , but an individual rifle may or may not chrono that fast...you will just have to try your rifle and see.....

Correct, the Nosler factory 260gr ABs are listed at 3,000 fps, but I don't know what barrel length that's supposed to be for (26" or 24"). Nosler does not have any other factory offereings in 375 Wby. The only others are the Wby 300gr NP (2,800 fps) and a 300gr solid from A-Square.

Thanks for the information. I'll let you know in a bout a week how these bullets perform out of my barrel.

If the 260gr AB really is tough enough to penetrate adequately on big bear, it's almost an ideal all-around caliber for anything bigger than a squirrel. Assuming 3,000 fps MV, check out these awesome numbers:

375 WEATHERBY � NOSLER 260 GRAIN ACCUBOND � (B.C. 0.473)(255 yd zero)

Yds / Vel. / Impact / KE / Drift
000 / 3000 / -1.75 / 5196 / 0.00
050 / 2893 / 0.90 / 4832 / 0.59
100 / 2793 / 2.50 / 4504 / 1.06
150 / 2696 / 2.99 / 4196 / 1.85
200 / 2601 / 2.28 / 3906 / 2.99
250 / 2508 / 0.27 / 3632 / 4.47
300 / 2417 / -3.12 / 3373 / 6.33
350 / 2328 / -8.00 / 3129 / 8.58
400 / 2242 / -14.5 / 2902 / 11.25

No holdover at any range out to 300 yds, and at 400yds, it hits as hard as a 30-06 does at the muzzle. Pretty wicked.
Would rather use a 250 Trophy Bond.
oh yeah , I have looked at those numbers many a time....a fast 375 is indeed a wicked cartridge.....shoots as flat as a 270 ; packs as much energy as a 458 .

If I recall right , my rifle does shoot the 300 gr factory partion load just a bit lower than my 260/270 gr reloads . Which makes it just ideal(as Bob mentioned) to use the heavy load for something like a brownie , then switch to the lighter load for different game .

as far as chronoed speeds with 24 inch versus longer barrels ; my experince with a few of these bigger bore rounds leads me to believe a couple of inches barrel here or there is just not as critical as small bore magnums .
Marine, you can't go wrong with the Partition either. If your rifle likes them, I'd use them with complete confidence. I just happen to have had great luck with the T/TSXs in just about every rifle I own and the only reason I don't shoot them exclusively, is I have "lifetime supplies" of Swift A Frames for my 375 H&H & 416 Rigby. jorge
So far I have had excellent results with the 260 Nosler ABs. I have only five animals to base that on...two elk and three mule deer, but the bullets have done well. They don't fragment and hold their weight well. I am shooting them out of an FN/Sako 375 Wby at 2,935 FPS, and recovered three bullets of the five. Two passed through deer. The elk were shot at roughly 300 yards, and the bullet mushroomed well and retained weight well. The one deer was a very long shot for me, about 375 yards, and the bullet still mushroomed well.

The two deer with pass throughs were very close in heavy timber. There were no signs of "blow up", and the exit holes were about golf ball sized+.
Personnaly I'd kind of old school but I still think that the sun rises and sets on the old 300 Nozler. Oddly enough I've never shot it in my present day 375 Wby.

The 270 TSX and the 235 TSX shoot well with R15 and the 260 Accu shoots very well with H4350 or R15.

I've used the old 270 Power Point quite a bit and really like that slug and I'd like to find a slug of them again... grin

Bottom line, if the 300 Nozler worked I'd use it and if not I'd be more than comfy with either the 260 Accu or the 270 TSX. And if I recall right theres a couple of SAF's that should kills the dog snot out of anything that moves as well.

Lastly if you're at all concerned about shooting longer ranges and critters (sides brownies) then set your rifle up with a scope with dotz and it's super easy to get it set to kill to 500.

Dober
Thanks to all for the helpful information and comments. It was more than I was hoping for. I went to pick up my rifle today at 1 pm, but the "instant" background check still wasn't through by 5 pm when the place closed. In any event, my Near Mfg. base and rings will be here next week, as well as the 2 boxes of ABs I ordered, an I will start trying both them and the NPs out. Still don't know if I can use the Chrono at the range I have access to. If not, I will be headed to the hills to do that in a couple of weeks.
Originally Posted by RyanScott
Would rather use a 250 Trophy Bond.

I like the sound of that!Kinda like the old 250 BBC...should scoot at 3000+ easy from the Weatherby chambering....
Have had three custom .375 Wbys. and it is one great cartridge.Used the 300 Swift A frame on Alaska BB (had to shoot one at 12'),elk,interior grizzly and also had a friend take it to Africa,where he used it on buffalo ,etc. It liked RL 19 and would give 2700-2800 fps,loaded Hornady solids for Africa and they seemed to shoot to the same point as the A frames.I beleive Woodleigh makes very good 350 grainers which I would like to try.
I'm sure a good custom loader would provide a superb combination. Good Luck!
I have not had my .375-Wby to Africa but it has been to Alaska sometime ago. If I were going to be going on your trip for the game mentioned, I would use a 300 grain Swift A Frame bullet also for the big bear and those 250 grain Swift A Frames for everything else on the list. The Swift bullets will give you a much flater trajectory, just in case you might need such. They do retain over 95%o of their original bullet weight and perfect mushroom!
Thanks guys. I just picked up my rifle yesterday (my "instant" background check did not go through all day Saturday). I barely got to look at or touch it before putting it in the hands of a smitty--to insall 11-oz mercury tube and forearm sling swivel for mounting a bipod (I likely will use the bipod in Alaska, but not Africa). Smitty says it will be ready in about a couple weeks. I will start out with the 300gr NPs and 260gr ABs, and then perhaps try out some opther custom loads later this spring.
I have shot about everything with the Noslers and been shooting them for better than 60 years on big game of all sorts including all DG except Elephant, Rhino and Hippo perhaps (maybe) and I don't believe there is a better bullet to be had..

The Nosler is the bullet by which all others are compared, that alone tells the story...Every monolithic nut I know invaribley compares his favorite monolithic bullet to the Nosler telling us its better, why is that? smile smile

There are some very fine monolithic bullets out there, like the GS Customs bullets, don't get me wrong I just like to rile the Mono boys to keep them under control. They get anal and out of control if you let'em run with the ball too much!! smile smile
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Thanks guys. I just picked up my rifle yesterday (my "instant" background check did not go through all day Saturday). I barely got to look at or touch it before putting it in the hands of a smitty--to insall 11-oz mercury tube and forearm sling swivel for mounting a bipod (I likely will use the bipod in Alaska, but not Africa). Smitty says it will be ready in about a couple weeks. I will start out with the 300gr NPs and 260gr ABs, and then perhaps try out some opther custom loads later this spring.

I firmly believe a bipod is a waste for AK hunting. The only places they are useable they are not worth the weight, IMO&E. I love and carry shooting sticks and consider a bipod a joke.

I have seen several attempts at using a bipod and cannot recall a single time when they ended up actually being used.
art
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by MarineHawk

I firmly believe a bipod is a waste for AK hunting. The only places they are useable they are not worth the weight, IMO&E. I love and carry shooting sticks and consider a bipod a joke.

I have seen several attempts at using a bipod and cannot recall a single time when they ended up actually being used.
art

My guide is taking me to some pretty open terrain; his clients usually shoot from the prone over a pack; which takes just as long to do as from a Harris bipod; I shoot very well from mine with my similar 340 Wby; and he thinks it's a good idea. I can carry the extra weight.
Then I would absolutely go with the guide rec... It is the first instance I have heard of though from a guide. Out of curiosity, did the guide suggest the bipod, or did he approve after you asked about them?
JMHO but I think Art is right;a bipod might be helpful under a very narrow range of circumstances, but I doubt like crazy anyone knows in advance precisely how they are going to shoot an Alaskan BB;and I would not want the thing hanging off my rifle going through brush, or if a shot from another position had to be taken....

I'd practice hard to get along without the thing,and leave it home.Not just for bears, but anything bigger than varmints.....Just my 2 cents smile
I appreciate you thoughts about the bipod. I will ask my guide again to confirm what to do.

It's not an impulse decision so far. For some context:

* I�ve been planning the hunt already for about a year. I have exchanged more information with my guide than I think is usual both on the phone and by e-mail. This includes his basic list of things to bring, and the very specific list I created of what exactly what I proposed to bring. My guide has always been very honest with me, and not hesitant to suggest that I add or delete something against my initial inclinations. I have completely acceded to his suggestions. He has shooting sticks on his list. We talked about that a fair amount. He never suggested it was a bad idea to go with a bipod if that�s what I�m more used to using. I don�t recall any push-back at all, unlike with other minor issues. But I will ask for clarification next time I talk to him.

* I can remove the bipod from my rifle in about five seconds. If I decide it�s too heavy or protruding, I can leave it in the tent. Rather have it and not need it than vice versa.

* As to the weight, I am working out right now as I type this (computer on the elliptical machine), as I do for an hour or more at least six days a week. This hunt may be somewhat demanding, but won�t be as grueling as a high-elevation sheep or elk hunt.

* This is my first brown bear hunt, but I spent eight years in the Marines and I started hunting animals bigger than varmints 24 years ago. I have hunted deer with a rifle chambered for the 300 Win Mag with a bipod on it. I certainly never have �know[n] in advance precisely how [I was] going to shoot� the deer I�ve shot, and I have used my bipod on less than a quarter of those shots, but I like having it on my rifle for any difficult shot. It just gives me confidence. I always feel (with some merit) that I can shoot with laser-like precision from the prone position with a bipod every time. I have, for years, been practicing shooting from other positions, and will continue to do so. I have not forsaken other shooting positions. I shot platoon high and second in my company at the qualification range in the Marines�shooting at ranges from 100-500yds from the offhand, kneeling, sitting, and prone positions. I know I need to constantly practice at all positions to be good, and I strive to do so.

* We may have some fairly long-range shooting opportunities at wolf and wolverine.

* This is what the areas we will be hunting look like:

[Linked Image]

My guide says, by far, the vast majority of the shots his clients take are after having the time to get into a prone position and shooting from 100-200yds. He rarely has had to go into the alders in this area. If we do, I can�t imagine having to run into the alders without having five second to remove my bipod in the rare chance that occurs.

* I made the best, quickest shot, with the shortest window of opportunity, I have ever made at anything 14 months ago at a deer running for cover at about 70 yds with my bipod-laden 300 WM from the offhand. For that and other reasons, I don�t think the bipod affect my offhand shooting.

I do appreciate your guys' advice. I may leave the bipod behind, or I may leave it in the tent, but I�m inclined to bring it to camp. I do realize that I perhaps may value having a bipod on my hunting rifles more than most, but I�m not sure it�s a good idea to change that now. Maybe I will.
If you are comfy with it,take it with you.That looks more like antelope country! grin

I can see how it would be useable in that area....I was just thinking in terms of it being more of a hindrance than a help,but if it comes off in 5 seconds, you can stick it in a pack.
I was raised in the "use a sling" tradition,so my thoughts run that direction when thinking of a rest.

Good luck and have fun! wink
Originally Posted by BobinNH
If you are comfy with it,take it with you.That looks more like antelope country! grin

I can see how it would be useable in that area....I was just thinking in terms of it being more of a hindrance than a help,but if it comes off in 5 seconds, you can stick it in a pack.
I was raised in the "use a sling" tradition,so my thoughts run that direction when thinking of a rest.

Good luck and have fun! wink

Thanks Bob. My guide flies out to a lake 100 mi inland and floats down to that area. He's never seen another person in the area. Sadly, this may be his last year guiding with all of the regulatory changes designed to drive out the smaller guide services. We were supposed to go last Sept., but he had a fluke health issue on the even of the hunt. So, we hit the reset button.
Have you shot your rifle to know how differently it shoots with and without the bipod? If the guide suggested sticks up-front I would take the sticks and leave the bipod. You will have a pack to shoot over and the target is hardly going to be prarie dog size or distance.

Alders are a non-issue for two reasons... No alders and willows to speak of and slim chance the guide would let the client go in the thick...

The barrel is already too long for any reasonable use in alders, anyway. Twenty inches seems like a long barrel when you need to swing through in a jungle...
art
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Have you shot your rifle to know how differently it shoots with and without the bipod? If the guide suggested sticks up-front I would take the sticks and leave the bipod.

Thanks for the comments Sitka. I have shot my similar 340 Wby from the bipod. I plan on shooting my 375 Wby both with and without. I can make a decision then. It will be at the smith for another week or so. I haven't talked to my guide again yet, but I will re-raise the issue with him then. Generally, he has had the attitude that, when a client has a preference for some particular type of gear or method, within limits, he doesn't want them to change how they do things for the one hunt. For some reason, I really like shooting from the bipod when in the prone. And the legs pop down and out as fast, and likely faster, than I can situate myself solidly over a pack.
I liked the 250g Swift A-Frames in my 375 H&H for small stuff. You should be able to get 3000 fps with them in your 375 Wby. For big mean stuff, I'd load the new NorthFork 350g Softpoints to 2550 in your 375 Wby. They should expand wonderfully and penetrate like there's no tomorrow.

Regards,

Chuck
I'm a big fan of TSX's and use them in my .300 Wby. But, after shooting the 270 TSX's and the 260 gr. Accubonds, I've settled on the Accubonds. They are a bit more accurate in the three different rifles I've tried and I know they work on game at least to the size of Alaskan Coastal Black Bears. (Full disclosure, I base this off a friend that used them recently on a nice 7.5' bear and I've had two different Alaskan guides sing their praises.) I'm headed to Namibia this summer and the .375 I'll be taking will be shooting 260 gr Accubonds.
Originally Posted by Huntaria_Setters
I'm a big fan of TSX's and use them in my .300 Wby. But, after shooting the 270 TSX's and the 260 gr. Accubonds, I've settled on the Accubonds. They are a bit more accurate in the three different rifles I've tried and I know they work on game at least to the size of Alaskan Coastal Black Bears. (Full disclosure, I base this off a friend that used them recently on a nice 7.5' bear and I've had two different Alaskan guides sing their praises.) I'm headed to Namibia this summer and the .375 I'll be taking will be shooting 260 gr Accubonds.

Interesting Huntaria. I managed to scare up two boxes of them, and will give them a try when I get my rifle back hopefully this week.
Just got it back from the smith with a new Limbsaver pad, mercury tube, 4+1 drob box mag, and the Near Mfg. scope base and rings. Trigger tested out just below 3-lbs. I'll shoot it through my new chrono tomorrow or early next week depending on the weather. Here it is (some with it's 340 Wby brother):

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The Near Mfg. base and rings:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
The bipod/ shooting sticks issue is on I have discussed with my guide on an upcoming brown bear hunt. His terrain in the Talkeetnas doesn't always allow the LOW bipod position due to grasses and low growth vegetation. As I have learned to always have at least one walking stick, I am going to bring both Leki's.
I can easily join them using a fleece headband and modify their height based on the shot at hand. The sticks also telescope. While prone is a stable platform, it may not be possible. If presented, I'll be shooting off my backpack. A sitting or modified kneeling may be necessary. If a bipod can be telescoped for a sitting shot, then ok bring it. I like to dual use of walking sticks and the decreased weight without having a bipod.
The bipod comes off about as fast as scope covers. After seeing the big scope mounted, I just ordered a Bushnell 6500 in 1.25-8x32, which is 2.5" shorted than the one mounted and has up to 6" of eye relief.
As you know the 375 Wby is a great cartridge. If I get a second rifle to take on safari it will be the cartridge of choice. Having a 500 Jeffery, I have absolutely NO desire to shoot it prone, so shooting sticks and either a sitting, kneeling or standing position will have to do for me when I go Alaskan brown bear hunting...

smile

Chuck
After mounting the big scope, I decided that the 1.25-8x32mm was a better choice (also Bushnell 6500):

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Chuck I've shot mine prone quite a bit, if it's put together intelligently it's not all that bad.

Dober
I'd admire your fortitude, seriously. I don't think I would've even shot my 375 H&H prone, but my 500 Jeff has over twice the recoil so its not even close for me. Congrats on a beautiful rifle and a great caliber. If I get a second hunting rifle it will be a synthetic 375 Weatherby to go with my walnut 500 Jeffery.

Regards,

Chuck
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Chuck I've shot mine prone quite a bit, if it's put together intelligently it's not all that bad.

Dober

I fire my 8 pound 375H&h pretty regularly prone at 300 and 400 yards...it is really not a big deal at all and the secret is to limit the number of rounds in any session.If you feel fatigued at all it is likely time to call it a day,whether that be 5 rounds or 15.
well i sure dont know your rifle but after shooting one with a barnes 270 grain bullet i would do it again but if you dont reload i would dhoot a 300 grain nosler should be easy eonugh to get some premium ammo for the 375 with a nosler partition i really like the swift a frame it probally my favorite on bifg suff for sure over 375 so try some swift and noslers but try to stay with the 300 grain bullet for the big bears you will be better of shoot the 300 grain sierra bullet is ok on bears they are not like the other sierria they are tough as heck and fly real good and get you a reloading press if i can reload anybody can its simple and safe
© 24hourcampfire